Pleasent Surprises

JTech780

It's been an up and down first quarter of the season, being 12th in the Western Confrence definately isn't where I wanted to see this team, but there have been a few players that have been pleasent surprises and are keeping me upbeat and positive about my favorite team.

T.J. Brodie: He had really underwhelming training camp, especially after how good he was at last years camp. I was a little concerned with his performance in camp and then his lack of offensive production in Abbotsford. Brodie has come up and played outstanding with 4 points in 9 games while being a +3. He has shown very good offensive instincts, while having the skating ability to get back into position when pinching.

Brodie he has shown enough to this point that I would be surprised if he was sent back down to Abbotsford.

Derek Smith: To be honest I knew next to nothing about this guy when Feaster signed him. I really only had his stats page to go off and after posting two straight 50+ point seasons in Binghamton I thought he was an offense first guy with not much of a defensive game. After the first couple of pre-season games I thought my initial judgement was right. So far though Smith has been very steady, he's a good skater who makes smart decisions with the puck, to me he has been the ideal 5th or 6th defenseman. He has played well enough so far that he was told to find permanent housing because he was spending the year here.

Roman Horak: Another guy I really didn't know too much about when Feaster aquired him. I didn't think he has a hope in hell of making this team out of camp, but he seemed to keep getting better and better every game in the pre-season. Even though he didn't put up the numbers in pre-season he showed that he was capable of doing the little things right amd he was getting chances. So far this season he has shown a high hockey IQ and the willingness to battle for pucks. I think as he gets stronger and more comfortable the numbers will come. He also has played well enough to find permanent housing and was not going to e sent down.

Paul Byron: He has only played 6 games so far, but he looked pretty good in those games. He has good speed and quickness. He has played well enough to be with the Flames, but due to lack of a roster spot he was sent down to Abbotsford, I am expecting a trade to get him back into the lineup.

Miikka Kiprusoff: I know he doesn't really count as a surprise, but Kipper is definately having a bounce back season. With a .920% and 2.32 GAA Calgary's slumps can't be blames on Kiprusoff.

Say what you will about Feaster but 3 of the guys I mentioned were brought in by him and I didn't even talk about Butler who has been pretty steady.

There is a lot of negativity and I am one to blame, the way this season has gone so far I am starting to get worried I might be bi-polar. There are some positives to take away from the first 23 games or so.

The future isn't as bleek as some hockey writers like to make it out to be.

I would add Baertschi, Ferland, Leach, Granlund, Arnold, and Gaudreau to the list. All guys playing better then expected in their development leagues. Nemisz is another guy who has been a pleasant surprise for me.

I would agree with all of those guys as well. I really like what the Boston College guys are doing. Bill Arnold seems like he might develop into a real good 3rd line shut down center.

It's been an up and down first quarter of the season, being 12th in the Western Confrence definately isn't where I wanted to see this team, but there have been a few players that have been pleasent surprises and are keeping me upbeat and positive about my favorite team.

T.J. Brodie: He had really underwhelming training camp, especially after how good he was at last years camp. I was a little concerned with his performance in camp and then his lack of offensive production in Abbotsford. Brodie has come up and played outstanding with 4 points in 9 games while being a +3. He has shown very good offensive instincts, while having the skating ability to get back into position when pinching.

Brodie he has shown enough to this point that I would be surprised if he was sent back down to Abbotsford.

Derek Smith: To be honest I knew next to nothing about this guy when Feaster signed him. I really only had his stats page to go off and after posting two straight 50+ point seasons in Binghamton I thought he was an offense first guy with not much of a defensive game. After the first couple of pre-season games I thought my initial judgement was right. So far though Smith has been very steady, he's a good skater who makes smart decisions with the puck, to me he has been the ideal 5th or 6th defenseman. He has played well enough so far that he was told to find permanent housing because he was spending the year here.

Roman Horak: Another guy I really didn't know too much about when Feaster aquired him. I didn't think he has a hope in hell of making this team out of camp, but he seemed to keep getting better and better every game in the pre-season. Even though he didn't put up the numbers in pre-season he showed that he was capable of doing the little things right amd he was getting chances. So far this season he has shown a high hockey IQ and the willingness to battle for pucks. I think as he gets stronger and more comfortable the numbers will come. He also has played well enough to find permanent housing and was not going to e sent down.

Paul Byron: He has only played 6 games so far, but he looked pretty good in those games. He has good speed and quickness. He has played well enough to be with the Flames, but due to lack of a roster spot he was sent down to Abbotsford, I am expecting a trade to get him back into the lineup.

Miikka Kiprusoff: I know he doesn't really count as a surprise, but Kipper is definately having a bounce back season. With a .920% and 2.32 GAA Calgary's slumps can't be blames on Kiprusoff.

Say what you will about Feaster but 3 of the guys I mentioned were brought in by him and I didn't even talk about Butler who has been pretty steady.

There is a lot of negativity and I am one to blame, the way this season has gone so far I am starting to get worried I might be bi-polar. There are some positives to take away from the first 23 games or so.

The future isn't as bleek as some hockey writers like to make it out to be.

Roman Horak I by far the Biggest surprise for me. We traded Tim for him, and half of use where pissed off thinking we got nothing in return for Tim. Now it looks like we got a alex Tangay in the making.

Lee-Stempniak-goal.jpg

Archived