Suggestion: Second Chances From The Echl

A few hail-mary suggestions here:

I did a quick look at the top young rookies in the ECHL right now, and the very best one was centreman Mitch Wahl (who not too long ago stood a shot at making the Flames team, outright).

Out of all Rookies 20 years or under, Mitch leads the pack with 7 points in 5 games, and a +5.

Given that Horak is likely to stay with the Flames, I think they should at least consider making room for Mitch in the AHL.

Why? Because his career was sidelined with a devastating head-injury and concusion, which required multiple surgeries and basically ruined his entire season last year. Given what we continue to learn about concussions, maybe we can forgive his poor performance in the few games he was "healthy" for last year.

He's still only 21, and has already shown that he can play at a Point-per-game level in the AHL (prior to his injury).

The biggest knock on him was his small frame. Well, he's 200 pounds now.

He's tearing apart the ECHL...given his age and the injury he recovered from, I say give him another chance in the AHL. It's not like the Flames have too many offensive prospects at centre. If he flounders, then at least we know for sure. It wouldn't even cost us a contract to see where he's at.

p.s...My second suggestion from the ECHL: Scott Freeman, ECHL scoring leader. Maybe give the kid a shot. He's only 22, and he's a University graduate that probably never came anywhere near a scout in his life. No need to waste a contract, just call him up and see what happens. Very little risk.

Hot damn! I was expecting "That'll never happen", but I'll gladly take "you should pay attention".

Good luck to Mitch. Scott Freeman still looks interesting..NHL aside, he's too good for the ECHL.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=97542

the heat have said they plan on using the ECHL as a place for guys to earn their way back onto the Abbotsford roster. It gives guys like Wahl and Negrin lots of minutes while they play their way back into good enough shape to play bigger AHL minutes.

• 1 year later...

So does Wahl get another chance in the AHL this season? If so, when? Or are the Heat just too stacked during the lockout?

Wahl had another two assists last night in a 4-1 win for the Grizzlies. He is now riding a 5 game point streak with a goal and 9 assists for 10 points.

He leads the Grizzlies with 4 goals, 17 assists, and 21 points in 17 GP this season and a plus 5.

So does Wahl get another chance in the AHL this season? If so, when? Or are the Heat just too stacked during the lockout?

Let's see, we've got Horak, Nemisz, Baertschi, Byron, Bouma, and Kolanos on the Heat roster right now, at least 2 or 3 of which would have likely started their seasons on the main squad had there not been a lockout.

I think Wahl deserves another shot, but he probably lost it here and if he ever gets another chance as an NHLer it isn't going to be in Calgary. There isn't room for anyone else on the AHL team. Heck, guys like Howse and Patterson were forced to ride the ECHL and they both played semi-decent minutes last season (besides when Howse was in the doghouse). The Heat are so deep up front that Max Reinhart, a guy who a few people thoguht had a strong chance to make the team out of camp, is for all intents and purposes their 4th line center.

It's unfortunate, but what can you do? None of the three were going to beat out a Sylvester or a Street. They certainly didn't outplay guys like Estoclet or Ruegsegger in camp or else they would be on the team instead. All guys like Wahl can hope for now is that they get a look when injuries hit and make the best of the chances they get.

Let's see, we've got Horak, Nemisz, Baertschi, Byron, Bouma, and Kolanos on the Heat roster right now, at least 2 or 3 of which would have likely started their seasons on the main squad had there not been a lockout.

I think Wahl deserves another shot, but he probably lost it here and if he ever gets another chance as an NHLer it isn't going to be in Calgary. There isn't room for anyone else on the AHL team. Heck, guys like Howse and Patterson were forced to ride the ECHL and they both played semi-decent minutes last season (besides when Howse was in the doghouse). The Heat are so deep up front that Max Reinhart, a guy who a few people thoguht had a strong chance to make the team out of camp, is for all intents and purposes their 4th line center.

It's unfortunate, but what can you do? None of the three were going to beat out a Sylvester or a Street. They certainly didn't outplay guys like Estoclet or Ruegsegger in camp or else they would be on the team instead. All guys like Wahl can hope for now is that they get a look when injuries hit and make the best of the chances they get.

I agree, but also want to throw out there I don 't think its a bad idea for Wahl to stay in one place the whole season. He basically hasn't played a whole season since leaving junior hockey so even though the ECHL may not be the best competition I think there is alot of value to have Wahl staying in one place and trying to play a full season rather than have him bounce around and try to fit in on different teams.

I do happen to agree that I think if Wahl is going to get it together, and I stress IF at this point, it will likely be in a different organization.

I agree, but also want to throw out there I don 't think its a bad idea for Wahl to stay in one place the whole season. He basically hasn't played a whole season since leaving junior hockey so even though the ECHL may not be the best competition I think there is alot of value to have Wahl staying in one place and trying to play a full season rather than have him bounce around and try to fit in on different teams.

I do happen to agree that I think if Wahl is going to get it together, and I stress IF at this point, it will likely be in a different organization.

It's good to see Wahl doing well in the ECHL, which is...to be fair, a fairly talented league this year.

When I originally posted this, I'd hoped the Flames organization would give Mitch a second chance. I feel that they did this, and I think it was the right thing to do, despite that things obviously didn't work out.

Now, this would be more like a 3rd/4th/5th chance, depending on your counting.

Since his contract runs out this season with the Flames, and he's still a Long ways away from where he needs to be, I don't see him getting re-signed here.

Like cross16 says, the best thing for him might be to put together one Solid hockey season, even if it is in the ECHL. If he can do that, he'll have a Very decent chance of getting on with the AHL again next year, and then the rest is up to him. I really hope it works out for the guy. He's finally putting together a strong case for himself. But I agree that everything points to another organization at this point.

Archived