Patrick Holland Invited To Summer Development Camp

Team Canada Development Camp Roster

Team Canada has invited Patrick Holland to their summer development camp for next years World Junior Championships. I am a little surprised that Max Reinhart didn't get an invite, I thought he would be the one to get an invite out of Calgary's prospects.

This should be a good confidence booster for Holland. He seems to be a pretty solid pick for a 7th rounder.

Max Reinhart and Michael Ferland would both have been better selections for Canada. Hard to read what they're thinking with this one, other than the fact that Holland has a right handed shot.

The only role Holland could possibly secure on that team (he won't) would be on the 4th line. Ferland is far better suited to that role. So is Reinhart.

To be fair, it's a testament to Patrick that he managed to come to this point.

Most 7th rounders are at most supposed to be 4th line grinders. Holland, while unlikely that he'll ever make the NHL, is at least looking like good value for where we drafted him.

We seem to be hitting some later round gems. First Gaelen Pattersson and now Holland. At this rate it wouldnt be a surprise if we can hit the next Patric Hornqvist or Tobias Enstrom. Much better drafting record in the past few years.

Most 7th rounders are at most supposed to be 4th line grinders. Holland, while unlikely that he'll ever make the NHL, is at least looking like good value for where we drafted him.

We seem to be hitting some later round gems. First Gaelen Pattersson and now Holland. At this rate it wouldnt be a surprise if we can hit the next Patric Hornqvist or Tobias Enstrom. Much better drafting record in the past few years.

the question isn't "how did a flames' prospect get an invite?" it's "how did Holland, a marginal top 6 forward on an okay team, get one over Max Reinhart, one of the key players on a Kootenay Ice squad that somehow swept the Saskatchewan Blades in the second round and won the WHL?"

the question isn't "how did a flames' prospect get an invite?" it's "how did Holland, a marginal top 6 forward on an okay team, get one over Max Reinhart, one of the key players on a Kootenay Ice squad that somehow swept the Saskatchewan Blades in the second round and won the WHL?"

You're absolutely right..I don't have an easy answer, although it may just be positional. Patrick Holland is also a right-wing, and quite frankly there aren't a lot of good right-wingers. Reinhardt is a centre. I feel that he should have been invited, but I will concede that they had a lot of incredible centres to choose from.

Credit should be given to both of them...Max Reinhardt was a late pick himself. Neither were really expected to do much, and we are fortunate to have a debate about which is the more legitmate prospect. Looking at Holland's numbers, he honestly was only a few points behind Reinhardt on a team with much less support. Very happy to have both of them.

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/966

It's also really impressive that Patrick Holland was able to become a lawyer in such a short time, as well as a chemistry professor, and, at the same time, becoming a famous actor/director. Maybe team Canada felt that he clearly had a lot of potential, and just needed to focus on one thing.

http://www.mccullough.com.au/print/printarticle.aspx?action=print&itm=2943

http://www.chem.rochester.edu/faculty/faculty.php?name=holland

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1648200/

Good on the kid! Maybe someone else who watched him play more than we did see's something more in him then we do on paper or the few times we see him play. Well for me anyways i have only seen the kid a handful of times.

well said man maybe he can be a Carter Bancks type of player for our farm team one day that would be great.

Not comparing or saying we have anything of this caliber in our system but after seeing how some of Detroit's low' picks turned out years ago I always have faith that one day we will luck out and one of our low picks will come out and shine over top picks!

Pavel Datsyuk

Drafted: DET / 1998 NHL Entry Draft

Round: 6th (171st overall)

Henrik Zetterberg

Drafted: DET / 1999 NHL Entry Draft

Round: 7th (210th overall)

well said man maybe he can be a Carter Bancks type of player for our farm team one day that would be great.

Comparing Holland to Bancks is something like comparing Patrick O'Sullivan to Tim Jackman. They're not even close to the same kind of player in any aspect of their game.

Not comparing or saying we have anything of this caliber in our system but after seeing how some of Detroit's low' picks turned out years ago I always have faith that one day we will luck out and one of our low picks will come out and shine over top picks!

David Moss.

T.J. Brodie if you count the 4th round as a "low pick"

Comparing Holland to Bancks is something like comparing Patrick O'Sullivan to Tim Jackman. They're not even close to the same kind of player in any aspect of their game.

Notice i said MAYBE and i only seen him a few times.. so thanks for clarifying that for me

David Moss.

T.J. Brodie if you count the 4th round as a "low pick"

T.J Brodie hasn't exactly came out and shined just yet but for a 4th rounder he is defiantly a good steal and hope he does.

Moss for a 7th rounder is another good steal nothing to complain about there.

But when I said

I always have faith that one day we will luck out and one of our low picks will come out and shine
i meant if a 5th, 6th, 7th rounder (not overnight) turned into a franchise player one day.

I know its a 0.5 in a million of a shot of this actually happening but because Detroit did it twice I have a tiny bit of hope it could happen us that is all.

I'm not as suprised about Reinhart as some, here's why;

RNH

Couurier

Huberdeau

Jenner

Johanson

Mckeeg

Schiefele

Strome

Brett Ritchie

That's the centers invited and all of them I would rank over Reinhart for one reason or another. Most provide more offense and more consistancy, and then some more energy and therefore better suited to the 4th line. Thats also all of the top of my head remembeing what positions they play so i'm sure I missed a couple.

Where I would tend to agree if Ferland. He makes a great 4th line style player for Canada so i'm more suprised about him than I am Reinhart.

Archived