Rumor: Joni Ortio To Abb Heat

I was listening to the Abbotsford Heat game today, and there was a interview with Jim Playfair in the first intermission. While ttalking about their goaltending, Jim mentioned that Ortio is comming over now that his season is done in Finland. I thought this was interesting because of Irving's injury. Looks like he might be getting some playing time in the Pros.

However I dont think this should be taken as 100% accurate as of right now. So lets just call it a rumor. Seeing as I couldnt find any official news about it.

Ya that is suprising as I too thought he was under contract. I'm not aware of any circumstances where he would be able to be released from that contract eitehr but maybe they reached an agreement.

It be nice to see him over here, but i'm ok with him here or over there not a huge difference IMO. I didn't see a whole lot of improvmenet from last year's world Juniors to this year's so hopefully we continue to see at least some improvement going forward.

I think it would great to get him over here. I don't like the fact that Ortio has played for 7 teams this year, he needs some stability and have a chance to play a decent amount of games in front of one net. With Irving potentially moving up to the NHL and Keetley a RFA next year there could be a chance for Ortio to get some solid playing time in Abbottsford next year, if he can get out of his contract.

I didn't see a whole lot of improvmenet from last year's world Juniors to this year's so hopefully we continue to see at least some improvement going forward.

really? Wasn't he like the third best goalie in the tournament? Might have even been better, since he played for a weak team, but his stats were comparable to Campbell's even so.

The Flames have now confirmed that Ortio has signed an ELC, and he also signed an ATO to join the Heat:

"We are very pleased to welcome Joni to the Flames’ organization,” said Flames Acting General Manager Jay Feaster. “Not only have we signed him to an Entry Level contract but he has also agreed to sign an Amateur Tryout Agreement (ATO) with our affiliate in Abbotsford, and he has already joined the Heat on their current road trip in eastern Canada. This gives Joni an opportunity to get acclimated to his new teammates and the level of play in the AHL and will make him even more prepared when he comes to our Summer Development and Rookie Camps this year. We are excited to have him under contract and look forward to his continued development in North America.”

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=557748

The Flames have now confirmed that Ortio has signed an ELC, and he also signed an ATO to join the Heat:

"We are very pleased to welcome Joni to the Flames’ organization,” said Flames Acting General Manager Jay Feaster. “Not only have we signed him to an Entry Level contract but he has also agreed to sign an Amateur Tryout Agreement (ATO) with our affiliate in Abbotsford, and he has already joined the Heat on their current road trip in eastern Canada. This gives Joni an opportunity to get acclimated to his new teammates and the level of play in the AHL and will make him even more prepared when he comes to our Summer Development and Rookie Camps this year. We are excited to have him under contract and look forward to his continued development in North America.”[/i]

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=557748

Is that some foreshadowing to suggest he won't go back to TPS next year?

Is that some foreshadowing to suggest he won't go back to TPS next year?

I had the same feeling, as I read Feasters statement. If Ortio will stay with the Heat for a full season in 2011-12 does it mean that Irving get a chance with the big club and that they don't re-sign Karlsson?

I had the same feeling, as I read Feasters statement. If Ortio will stay with the Heat for a full season in 2011-12 does it mean that Irving get a chance with the big club and that they don't re-sign Karlsson?

Many goaltenders spend a year in teh AHL as the backup or at least 1b. While Irving may get a chance, they may also have Ortio as Irvings backup

really? Wasn't he like the third best goalie in the tournament? Might have even been better, since he played for a weak team, but his stats were comparable to Campbell's even so.

I'm not suggesting he was bad I thought he was good, but I also though he was pretty good at the previous world Juniors too.

I thought he got alot more help this year than previous years. I just will stops short of saying his play was actually better. I didn't mean that in a negative way.

I think alot of that is going to depend on the direction of the team. If the team wants to try and compete again next year (in terms of pushing it with this core) than I don't think Irving will be invovld. However, if the team decides to play more for the future I could see them working Irving in as backup and cutting Kipper's games down.

Even if they don't, don't be suprised if Keetley is not offered a qualifying offer as an RFA. At this point, Keetley is an extreme long shot to even see the NHL and I think the organization is going to need to make a decision because they can't risk having 3 goalies fight for ice time again. I'd be fine if they let Keetley go and went with Irving/Ortio next year and then signed Lamarouex or something like that to be their goalie in the ECHL for extra depth.

Even if they don't, don't be suprised if Keetley is not offered a qualifying offer as an RFA. At this point, Keetley is an extreme long shot to even see the NHL and I think the organization is going to need to make a decision because they can't risk having 3 goalies fight for ice time again. I'd be fine if they let Keetley go and went with Irving/Ortio next year and then signed Lamarouex or something like that to be their goalie in the ECHL for extra depth.

I don't mind having the 3 goalie rotation. It offers some healthy competition for playing time down there. Goalies can't take a night off knowing they have not just one but 2 goalies breathing down their necks. Plus more guys around who can understand if you are going through a rough patch of the season, because they've ALL been in that boat before.

As much as they want each others jobs, there's also support there for each other in net that the Flames didn't have until this year. Miikka just absolutely owned the crease, and none of the other goalies could really support him because they knew that no matter what they did, it was still Kipper's job to lose. Karlsson is the second goalie i have seen who kipper would talk to after a bad game; the first was mclennan.

Kotalik can welcome him when he gets there. :P

Ales Kotalik banished to the minors

sounds about right. as good as kotalik was the first game, he's had another few duds the past couple of days.

I don't mind having the 3 goalie rotation. It offers some healthy competition for playing time down there. Goalies can't take a night off knowing they have not just one but 2 goalies breathing down their necks. Plus more guys around who can understand if you are going through a rough patch of the season, because they've ALL been in that boat before.

I agree. Ended up working out pretty well for the heat in their inaugural season when Irving and Keetley just couldn't deal with it. Shantz took over.

I don't mind having 3 goalies in the organization, but not all at the same level that was my issue. i didn't mind because i thoguht the Flames had plans for Schantz but knowing now that they ddin't I feel like they took some time away from the development of Irving and keetley.

I'm for having 3 goalies but one should be at the ECHL level and 2 at the AHL level.

Ortio is seeing the backup position to Irving tonight. Just comming back from injury.

On a side not, Spencer Bennett also signed an ATO Contract. However not in the line-up yet.

And if Chilliwack looses their next playoff game, Howse may see some AHL time before the season is over.

Here's hoping the Heat make the playoffs. That team with everyone they can put out there if the Flames do not make the Playoffs will look VERY dangerous. Even with all those injuries.

Looking at somthing like:

Howse-Backlund-Kotalik

Lang-Keith-Rheault

Bouma-Patterson-Nemisz

Bancks-Stone-Bennett

(Still lots of players left)

Brodie-Negrin

Pelech-Baldwin

Breen-Meyers

Irving

Ortio

Thats quite the lineup. I think their scoring issues may be fixed with this lineup.

I was also hoping for Tim Erixon to come over too, but his SEL team is heading into the 3rd round of the playoffs.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Based on the signing of Ortio, it is likely going to go one of three ways next season. If Karlsson gets re-signed, Keetley is allowed to walk since he is UFA. If Karlsson walks, Irving goes backup and Keetley / Ortio team up for the Heat. If Karlsson walks, the Flames grab a UFA backup and still let Keetley walk as well. My honest opinion and preference is that Keetley walks, Irving and Ortio Tandem the heat and Karlsson signs a new contract to backup Kipper. At only 23, I think Irving still has room to grow and develop as a tender.

Kipper has 3 more seasons on his contract. Karlsson can go a couple of ways, he can turn into a bonafide starter through his experience as a backup to Kipper, slowly gaining more ice time as Kipper's contract comes to an end. In this case, Irving could play a couple of seasons as backup for Karlsson before potentially taking the reigns once he gains NHL experience. OR Karlsson could be a consistent backup for 2 more years, then Irving at 25/26 steps in as backup to Kipper in his final season under contract and hopefully is ready to take over the starting spot the following season. In this case, Ortio would then get a starting season in the AHL and then move up to backup Irving when Kipper's contract runs out. This is all theoretical conjecture based on possible situations. Of course anything can change, but to me, these seem to be the most likely options.

My personal preference would be:

Kipper/Karlsson

Kipper/Karlsson

Kipper/Karlsson

Karlsson/Irving

Karlsson/Irving

Karlsson/Irving

Irving/Ortio

Irving/Ortio

Irving/Ortio

or something along those lines (as long as potential is reached by all of the tenders).

Just my thoughts.

My personal preference would be:

Kipper/Karlsson

Kipper/Karlsson

Kipper/Karlsson

Karlsson/Irving

Karlsson/Irving

Karlsson/Irving

Irving/Ortio

Irving/Ortio

Irving/Ortio

or something along those lines (as long as potential is reached by all of the tenders).

Just my thoughts.

My expectations right now would be something along these lines:

Kipper/Karlsson

Kipper/Irving

Kipper/Irving

Irving/Kipper

Irving/Kipper

Irving/Ortio

Irving/Ortio

Irving/Ortio

Karlsson should be good for another 1 year deal that keeps him seeing ice time in the NHL. I don't think it will be a multi-year deal though because Irving is going to need to come up to the NHL sooner rather than later.

Irving can come up and start playing behind Kipper and hopefully migrate to a solid 1a/1b tandem until Kipper wants to retire (or go chase a cup). At that point hopefully Ortio is ready to come up and play behind Irving and develop a new 1a/1b tandem.

Unless Karlsson has an absolutely amazing season next year I don't see the Flames developing/holding back Irving too much longer.

• 1 month later...

It seems that Ortio has quite a sense of humour. There are a few clips in the youtube where he imitates a Finnish (almost legendary) coach Hannu Jortikka, who coached the national junior team in 2010. The language he uses is naturally finnish, but the way he talks and the body language is really well imitated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSLeITHGPWA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrlZDEwqZrs

Archived