Louis23

Once again, I am here to provide valuable translation so everyone can be on the same page!

When you asked....

Why am I being associated with Katz? Is that what the best you can come up with?

In regards to this post...

You are absolutely correct PokernHockey.  I am wrong in assuming Connor the future would misread the words of the Mighty Daryl Katz. After all, his future boss would never let the city he loves down so the veiled threat of Seattle if the city council & province didn't kneel @ Daryl's noble feet when he asked for a few extra million (100 but lets not quibble as it's only taxpayer money) to build his palace was just a joke. That Daryl is such a kidder. :lol: He had everyone going for a while.

Speaking just for myself I am :blush: for ever believing that the great man would ever stoop to extortion. All his previous promises like the __ year rebuild are coming true.

Connor, I apologize for doubting your great wisdom. With Daryl as your guru you are assured to leave a mark. I am now 1 of the enlightened that see the master plan of these 1/1 picks being a distraction until medical science can undo the aging effect so the dynasty Oilers can be young & dominate again. That's clearly the hidden message in the talk that the current youngsters are dopplegangers of the previous 1s that brought glory to Edmonton in the 80s. Their youth is slowly being drained so it can rejuvenate the former players that were elected to the HHOF.

Edmonton will rise again! Hail Katz (& his believers like Connor who's life force will unfortunately be drained into Glen Sather to complete the rejuvenation.

**********************************************************************************************

I'm sure DD will come to his senses & write an apology as sincere  as mine.

All you had to do was either read my post (which he linked) which said...

I am going to try to take a stab at translating connor to what everyone else here speaks. By "enlightened" he means "believe the oilers are destined for greatness because Katz says so".  So his statement really was "try to believe the oilers are destined for greatness because Katz says so before trying to tell me how I am incorrect in my analysis."

If you come from this paradigm, your clearly idiots DD/FF52. You should apologize.

To which you said...

Most useless post ever.

(A simple "thank you" would have sufficed, but maybe that is only in Calgary that we are friendly like that when someone tries to help)

OR simply read the first line of his post where he said...

You are absolutely correct PokernHockey....

and infer the perhaps the next part of the post was in regards to the aforementioned post.

Did that help? I really want to help.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before anyone gets all up in a hitch....oh, I see it's too late. Ah well.

The Oilers have a better defense pool than the Flames. However, when you consider that the Flames have one of the worst defense pools in the NHL, it's not saying much.

There are 4 guys who could potentially crack the NHL in a top-4 role. Klefbom is a potential top-3 guy due to his combination of skill and the fact that he's very much a raw diamond. Musil is a safe bet to make the NHL, but his upside isn't that great; he'll top out as a shutdown defender capable of playing tough minutes against top-6 forwards if all turns out well, which is nothing to be ashamed of. Marincin may very well have more potential than Musil (especially offensively) but he's even more of a project than Klefbom even though he looked great at times for the Barons. Still very much raw in his defensive coverage. He turns into a bit of a rover at times and it's cost him some goals.

Gernat is similar to Marincin in that he's a big body with offensive skills but is weaker defensively. Probably the biggest project of the 4. Skating needs work, and not the smarts and hockey sense that you see out of a lot of top defensive prospects these days. I'm also unsure of how much of his skill is due to the team he's on, or his own abilities.

This is me at my most objective. I'm fairly realistic with my projections (at least, I think so) and at this point the only top-4 defender in the group is Klefbom. All the others come with "ifs", and thus I don't consider them top-4 defense prospects. They definitely have the potential, but they're not developed to the point where I would say someone can realistically say that they'll be a member of Edmonton's core moving forward or anything like that.

And before anyone gets into a huff and calls me biased, I treat the Flames defense prospects the same way. Sieloff is a big hitter and not much more right now, Wotherspoon hasn't yet shown much more than a glimmer that he could be a 2nd pairing defender (similar to Musil) and the rest are just bottom pairing options unless a huge jump in production and play over the next year change that.

Only 60 top-2 spots in the NHL, and only 120 top-4 options. There's only about 30 spots available for top-4 defenders over a period of 4-5 drafting years. There's no way every half-decent prospect in a team's pool should be considered as having top-4 potential.

This is me at my most objective. 

Good onya....me at my most objective:  The Oilers have been up-and-coming for my entire adult life.  And I'm no spring chicken.

Their future begins with the draft and ends with the player's wives/agents.  For the last 20 years.

Good onya....me at my most objective:  The Oilers have been up-and-coming for my entire adult life.  And I'm no spring chicken.

Their future begins with the draft and ends with the player's wives/agents.  For the last 20 years.

:lol:

I don't disagree with that, I was merely refuting a claim from Connor that all 4 guys were potential top-4 defensemen, when they are not. Like I said, potential doesn't guarantee anything. Klefbom could bust as soon as next year for all we know. But at this point in time he's a guy who can safely be projected to play a big role at the NHL level. You can't say that about any of the other 3. And that's what I took exception to, because people really like to throw "top-6 potential" or "top-4 potential" around like it's candy. If it were that easy to draft and develop that kind of player they wouldn't be so valuable in a trade.

I read several Oiler blogs, one of which is Lowetide who frequently outlines the potential in Gernat. MacTavish himself pointed out Marincin's strong play in the AHL this year (his rookie season) and states that he isn't far away from being able to play at the NHL level. I read and listen to several Oilers based media.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1350 (Something with a lot more credit than hockeysfuture)

Hockeysfutre is a joke. It just takes players draft rankings and then puts a number on that. If you're basing your entire prospect opinion on hockeysfuture you have very little knowledge in the area.

You again are being insulting. If all you can do is resort to insulting people on the internet you need to get a better hobby.

Most useless post ever.

Why am I being associated with Katz? Is that what the best you can come up with?

It sucks when the team you cheer for misses the playoffs. Cheering for 3 teams and all of them missing the playoffs must be brutal.

You know if you are going to diss other peoples sources like you did here, and then supply your own  sources to qualify your opinions, you should at least try to make them remotely current. Did you even check the date on your linked article??

Your hockey prospectus link that you claim shows your stable of top 4 D prospects is almost a year old(PRE-STRIKE) and is talking about Justin Schultz who barely qualifies as a prospect anymore(He doesn't qualify to Hockey Prospectus as a prospect because he is age 22+) because he has a season under his belt. It then goes on to mention the only other decent  D prospect Oscar Klefbom who I mentioned in my comments. The rest of your D prospect never made their summary of prospects worth talking about. Duh....

Thanks anyway for the "old data" that pretty much just confirms what I was telling you in the first place......

--------------------------------------------

In case you forgot you were the one who claimed the Oilers had a stable of top 4 D prospects:

a8e0a6e4f48c8cb2b36ee404f9d79631.png

-------------------------------------------

I am sorry but your backtracking to use a MacTavish comment that one of your prospects " isn't far from being ready to play at the NHL level " doesn't qualify your original comments they were top 4 D.

57657eac52945ed391c9f3b3de8ac1a7.png

--------------------------------------

Lets be honest with yourself Connor instead of Trolling, there is a huge difference from "being able to play at the NHL level" and a "projected top 4 D prospect", even when that playing D at the NHL level is for the Oilers. Maybe playing D at the "Oilers NHL level" isn't quite the same standard rest of the NHL is putting on the ice.

Oh and one other thing. You keep saying I am insulting you. I am not. I am challenging your points and now challenging your sources.

Re:

You again are being insulting.

If I wanted to insult you, it would be with something along the lines of  this example:

bb16eae2f4c20619b3f88d1b343a0b4f.png

If I wanted to insult you, it would be with something along the lines of  this example:

bb16eae2f4c20619b3f88d1b343a0b4f.png

Deeds' way of insulting you.  By not insulting you.  More not what he wouldn't do, but what he wouldn't not do.  :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

haha, naw, it was pretty funny to be honest.  One day the team will be competitive again!  And then we will see who has the last laugh mwahahahahahahaha

Here's where we have you right now, imho:  We have good owners.  You don't.

Beyond that, both our teams are suspect.   But yours much more.

I would love to see the battle of alberta again, and by that, I do NOT mean battle for last place, lol.  Or battle for a playoff spot.

I mean, a battle that the rest of the hockey world watches.

But I don't think that will ever happen under Edmonton's current ownership.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's where we have you right now, imho:  We have good owners.  You don't.

Beyond that, both our teams are suspect.   But yours much more.

I would love to see the battle of alberta again, and by that, I do NOT mean battle for last place, lol.  Or battle for a playoff spot.

I mean, a battle that the rest of the hockey world watches.

But I don't think that will ever happen under Edmonton's current ownership.

yea back then it was the battle that everybody everywhere watched.   I know we both have our bias's, but I have a feeling you will be proven wrong, Edmonton (even under current ownership ;) ) will be a playoff player rather than a watcher in my opinion within 3 or 4 years. 

yea back then it was the battle that everybody everywhere watched.   I know we both have our bias's, but I have a feeling you will be proven wrong, Edmonton (even under current ownership ;) ) will be a playoff player rather than a watcher in my opinion within 3 or 4 years. 

Did MacT get the green light to trade 1 of the adorable 4? :) (I don't count Schultz as he wasn't an Oiler pick. Technically I guess you could consider him as just recouping a pick from the Dustin Penner OS though. :lol: )

There are so many needs to be addressed but the current regime holds them back.

BTW, nice to see you back. Did you get tired of baby-sitting the Oilers posters?

Seems like a great forum up there, not unlike ours. A lot of pride.

They're proud of just about everything up there.   Oilers fans are even proud of finishing 24th overall.

(or maybe they just don't know that's why they have the 7th overall pick).

http://fans.oilers.nhl.com/community/topic/14183-the-oilers-are-proud-to-select-with-the-7th-overall-pick/

Seems like a great forum up there, not unlike ours. A lot of pride.

They're proud of just about everything up there.   Oilers fans are even proud of finishing 24th overall.

(or maybe they just don't know that's why they have the 7th overall pick).

http://fans.oilers.nhl.com/community/topic/14183-the-oilers-are-proud-to-select-with-the-7th-overall-pick/

After 30th/29th finishing 24th is a step up.

They finally realized that they can't finish last long enough to stock the whole team with 1/1s (current 1s would be 50ish) so that 1st overall can no longer be their version of the SC.

With new management the Oilers could probably turn things around fast. But Katz loves the old 1s that were small parts of the dynasty so they'll keep holding back what has the makings of a good team.

With new management the Oilers could probably turn things around fast. But Katz loves the old 1s that were small parts of the dynasty so they'll keep holding back what has the makings of a good team.

That's the way I see it as well...   There is a handful of talent on the team that has an incredible amount of potential,  and that's why some of the pundits keep predicting a higher level of success for the team year after year recently...

Also wanted to say congratz to Bronco for making mod...   :)

I like the Belov signing any cheap free agent signings you make,  means less you have to give up in trades.  We need more mean players.  

He's got good size. What gives you the idea he's mean?

When I see 30 pim in a league where you get 5 for farting :) I don't see mean.

Archived