Louis23

Scouting isn't an exact science, players change as they age and mature, and some are more suited to the style of play in the NHL than others. There have been first overalls that have been busts and 7'th rounders that have ended up being league superstars. So really, making comparisons to Jankowski and Khaira at this point is little more than bickering. They are currently both great players, and all indications are that they will both be successful hockey players and be great assets to their NHL teams in the future.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't you get it? Bouwmeester played against the opposition's best players night in and night out. Babchuk had sheltered minutes playing against the oppositions 3rd and 4th lines. Babchuk also started in the offensive zone a lot more.

Babchuk was a healthy scratch last season. Bouwmeester was never a healthy scratch.

PPG would be less relevant if they played in different leagues or at least different positions. They are both playing college hockey and playing centre. They are also similar size so these two players are very comparable.

I liked the Khaira pick as soon as a read more about him when the Oilers drafted him. He is exactly what the Oilers need. No one is confessing him as the best player in the draft.

Have you seen Tampa's draft record when Feaster was there? Between Lecavalier and Stamkos they drafted horribly. Lets hope the Jankowski pick wasn't Feaster's call.

Tampa scouts drafted horribly not Feaster. Feaster said right off on our first draft that he intended to do the same thing as he did in the past and that is to let the scouts pick the best player available.

Scouting isn't an exact science, players change as they age and mature, and some are more suited to the style of play in the NHL than others. There have been first overalls that have been busts and 7'th rounders that have ended up being league superstars. So really, making comparisons to Jankowski and Khaira at this point is little more than bickering. They are currently both great players, and all indications are that they will both be successful hockey players and be great assets to their NHL teams in the future.

Pretty much exactly my point bronco when I said it is senseless to compare now. Give them both a chance to get in the NHL and play a few years then you can have the discussion who is a better draft pick.

Was this your way of baiting Deeds into a useless debate?....

Pretty much exactly my point bronco when I said it is senseless to compare now. Give them both a chance to get in the NHL and play a few years then you can have the discussion who is a better draft pick.

Useless. <_<

Tampa scouts drafted horribly not Feaster. Feaster said right off on our first draft that he intended to do the same thing as he did in the past and that is to let the scouts pick the best player available.

I'm just laying out the comparison. So far, they are at the very least comparable in terms of a prospect. The conclusion won't be till 6 or 7 years for now but I originally brought it up to show that the Oilers were able to draft a similar prospect much deeper in the draft.

I'm just laying out the comparison. So far, they are at the very least comparable in terms of a prospect. The conclusion won't be till 6 or 7 years for now but I originally brought it up to show that the Oilers were able to draft a similar prospect much deeper in the draft.

So what your saying is that you are able to come up with a reliable comparison on 2 prospects that you have never seen play based solely on statistics alone? and that the comparison will solely be based on the stats the you have decided are relevant so that you can choose to ignore the stats that dont favor your opinion? And that your opinion is more credited then say that of HB because they dont do allot of TV interviews? Seems like a load of steaming cow navajo fry bread if you ask me and by the way the analysis on Jankowski was written on him before he was drafted by the flames so his projection has nothing to do with were he was drafted...

Khaira is a power forward with average skating abilities. Jankowski is a smooth-skating playmaker. In terms of style they are certainly not similar. Khaira has the benefit of playing on a team with 2 legitimate scoring lines, and he has linemates who can score. Jankowski, the playmaker who needs his teammates to convert his passes if he wants to put up points that aren't goals, plays on a team that can barely put together 1 decent college-level scoring line, if even that. So in terms of situation and playing style, they aren't similar at all.

Jankowski just grew into his body recently, so it's to be expected that he's still behind the curve development-wise in regards to how to use his frame effectively. Khaira has the size and strength to hold his own against college players, so he's inarguably more effective at jumping right into the NCAA and contributing. Jankowski? He barely weighs 175 pounds soaking wet.

What Jankowski has is a solid mind for the game, a quick and shifty shot, silky hands and great playmaking abilities. So far he has been using his talent alone in putting up his points, because he just isn't physically strong enough to muscle guys around a la Joe Thornton. That's what happens when you grow 7 inches in a year and a half. It's a testament to his skill that even without skilled linemates, even without the body strength of so many 20-24 year old college players, that he is still able to contribute on the top 2 lines.

Khaira is able to contribute because he's effective at driving to the net. Even if he himself doesn't score, his teammates can clean up around him. He isn't quite as effective at backchecking as Jankowski because he lacks the skating abilities of Mark. But he is able to impose himself against the setup and along the boards more effectively because of the 20 pound listed difference. Jankowski positions himself better, but he isn't as effective in puck battles due to said lack of strength.

I think when you have to compare the two of them that you have to take into account their translate-ability (is that even a word?) to the NHL level. IMO, both play games that can be effective at the NHL level, but it depends on whether they can improve and by how much. I like Jankowski more because of his upside; if he pans out, he's going to be a top-2 line player because he can skate, he can shoot, he makes passes, and overall just has more skill in the offensive zone. Khaira IMO doesn't have the high-end offensive skills to be a scorer; if he makes the NHL, he's going to be the grind-it-out, 10-15 goals a year 3rd liner who blocks shots and hits. While the Raffi Torreses of the game are still valuable, I think we can all agree that a scoring line forward with defensive responsibility is worth more than the average-skating role player.

Jankowski is, going by HF standards, a 7.5C in my books. I don't think he's going to be a first line player, but his upside and two-way play are all intriguing and he should be an NHLer at some point. Khaira is more of a 6.5C; I wouldn't call him safer, but he has the tools to contribute at the NHL level. Both players were drafted around where they should have been. Khaira might actually put up better numbers over his college career due to the situations both are in, but I think that no matter what Jankowski is the better prospect right now and in the next few years, barring a major setback. You can build strength and skating, but you can't necessarily teach a player to think the game, and Jank does that better than Khaira. Jankowski also plays in a system where defensive responsibility is directly proportional to icetime, so he'll be developing skills that are needed for the pros, at the expense of some offensive success. If he breaks 30 points next year in 40-plus games, that would be a major success in my books. Michigan Tech is about the offense at the expense of defensive fortitude, which is why they've only won 10 out of 30 games.The expectations are just different for the two of them in different systems.

Khaira is a power forward with average skating abilities. Jankowski is a smooth-skating playmaker. In terms of style they are certainly not similar. Khaira has the benefit of playing on a team with 2 legitimate scoring lines, and he has linemates who can score. Jankowski, the playmaker who needs his teammates to convert his passes if he wants to put up points that aren't goals, plays on a team that can barely put together 1 decent college-level scoring line, if even that. So in terms of situation and playing style, they aren't similar at all.

- In their last seasons in their perspective leagues, Khaira was more of a playmaker and Jankowski was more of a goal scorer. Jankowski scored 53 goals and 40 assists in Stanstead college while Khaira scored 29 goals and 50 assists in the BCHL.

Jankowski just grew into his body recently, so it's to be expected that he's still behind the curve development-wise in regards to how to use his frame effectively. Khaira has the size and strength to hold his own against college players, so he's inarguably more effective at jumping right into the NCAA and contributing. Jankowski? He barely weighs 175 pounds soaking wet.

- Khaira wasn't selected in the CHL draft because he was too small. He was 5'7 and a buck 40. He recently went through a growth spurt as well. It's not like he was huge his entire hockey career either.

What Jankowski has is a solid mind for the game, a quick and shifty shot, silky hands and great playmaking abilities. So far he has been using his talent alone in putting up his points, because he just isn't physically strong enough to muscle guys around a la Joe Thornton. That's what happens when you grow 7 inches in a year and a half. It's a testament to his skill that even without skilled linemates, even without the body strength of so many 20-24 year old college players, that he is still able to contribute on the top 2 lines.

Khaira is able to contribute because he's effective at driving to the net. Even if he himself doesn't score, his teammates can clean up around him. He isn't quite as effective at backchecking as Jankowski because he lacks the skating abilities of Mark. But he is able to impose himself against the setup and along the boards more effectively because of the 20 pound listed difference. Jankowski positions himself better, but he isn't as effective in puck battles due to said lack of strength.

I think when you have to compare the two of them that you have to take into account their translate-ability (is that even a word?) to the NHL level. IMO, both play games that can be effective at the NHL level, but it depends on whether they can improve and by how much. I like Jankowski more because of his upside; if he pans out, he's going to be a top-2 line player because he can skate, he can shoot, he makes passes, and overall just has more skill in the offensive zone. Khaira IMO doesn't have the high-end offensive skills to be a scorer; if he makes the NHL, he's going to be the grind-it-out, 10-15 goals a year 3rd liner who blocks shots and hits. While the Raffi Torreses of the game are still valuable, I think we can all agree that a scoring line forward with defensive responsibility is worth more than the average-skating role player.

- I disagree. Khaira is putting up good offensive numbers as a freshman. He has the aggression and most importantly the work ethic to overcome his short comings. He can definitely be a compliment to a skilled top 6 forward line if he continues on his upward trajectory.

Jankowski is, going by HF standards, a 7.5C in my books. I don't think he's going to be a first line player, but his upside and two-way play are all intriguing and he should be an NHLer at some point. Khaira is more of a 6.5C; I wouldn't call him safer, but he has the tools to contribute at the NHL level. Both players were drafted around where they should have been. Khaira might actually put up better numbers over his college career due to the situations both are in, but I think that no matter what Jankowski is the better prospect right now and in the next few years, barring a major setback. You can build strength and skating, but you can't necessarily teach a player to think the game, and Jank does that better than Khaira. Jankowski also plays in a system where defensive responsibility is directly proportional to icetime, so he'll be developing skills that are needed for the pros, at the expense of some offensive success. If he breaks 30 points next year in 40-plus games, that would be a major success in my books. Michigan Tech is about the offense at the expense of defensive fortitude, which is why they've only won 10 out of 30 games.The expectations are just different for the two of them in different systems.

- I don't know how you're coming to the conclusion that Khaira is short of hockey sense. Khaira is continuing to surpass expectations.

- I will say this: Jankowski is a better pick for the Flames while Khaira is a better pick for the Oilers if that makes any sense.

- I will say this: Jankowski is a better pick for the Flames while Khaira is a better pick for the Oilers if that makes any sense.

-Jankowski played in a Canadian prep league. He's going to put up more goals simply on the basis that his teammates aren't skilled enough to be able to convert his passes. He's definitely a playmaker moreso than a sniper. Khaira had linemates who could score as well, so his assist totals are inflated compared to his actual passing abilities.

-Just because he has the work ethic and aggression (not sure what aggression has to do with anything related to work ethic though....) to overcome his shortcomings doesn't mean he will. It also doesn't mean that his shortcomings can be ignored. Yes he could find himself on a scoring line if he continues on his upwards trajectory, but the same can be said of all prospects. The key is to try and figure out where it is they will likely hit snags in their development, and to help them work past those snags. Khaira will need quite a bit of work just to get his skating to merely passable levels. He also, as I said before, lacks the vision and passing abilities of a guy like Markowski.

I've seen a lot of players with fantastic work ethic and drive (especially since I followed the Flames during the age of the Dutter drafting years). Know what that gets you? It gets you Eric Nystrom. Not to sh*t on Nystrom because he's real good at doing his job, but a 4th liner isn't exactly outstanding stuff. In the end, I'm a pragmatist; work ethic is important, but you need to be well-balanced in order to succeed. A player who is all heart and no skill is worthless; a player that's all skill and no heart is even more so. I'm not saying that Khaira has no skill, but he definitely has less than Jankowski. Which means that he has to work just as much if not more so as Mark (who isn't a slouch himself) just to remain within firing distance of him.

-Khiara is continuing to surpass expectations? That's great and all, but that doesn't prove that he's got hockey smarts, that just proves that he's still on that upward trajectory. Jankowski positions himself better, has better vision and playmaking abilities and is able to commit to being a player within a team system while still providing some offensive chances and points. That is why I say he's a smart hockey player. I don't think Khaira has terribad hockey sense (at least not from what I've seen of him) but IMO Jankowski's better in that regard. Khaira thus far has been able to use his body more than the Jank, so my thoughts on his hockey sense have to be skewed a little because he hasn't had to use it as much. You may as well treat Mark as a smaller player, because he has to find ways other than overpowering other players in order to contribute nightly.

I do agree on the last point; Flames need skill, and Mark is that. Oilers need grit, and Khaira is that. Whether they translate or not remains to be seen, but IMO you don't rank prospects high because they could be a decent role player. There's a reason why Boone Jenner isn't a top 20 or 30 prospect, and it's not because he lacks in grit or heart.

-Jankowski played in a Canadian prep league. He's going to put up more goals simply on the basis that his teammates aren't skilled enough to be able to convert his passes. He's definitely a playmaker moreso than a sniper. Khaira had linemates who could score as well, so his assist totals are inflated compared to his actual passing abilities.

- Maybe that's really not here nor there. Kahira is still putting up more assists than goals and he was moved to centre which would indicate that he is a player that helps other players score.

-Just because he has the work ethic and aggression (not sure what aggression has to do with anything related to work ethic though....) to overcome his shortcomings doesn't mean he will. It also doesn't mean that his shortcomings can be ignored. Yes he could find himself on a scoring line if he continues on his upwards trajectory, but the same can be said of all prospects. The key is to try and figure out where it is they will likely hit snags in their development, and to help them work past those snags. Khaira will need quite a bit of work just to get his skating to merely passable levels. He also, as I said before, lacks the vision and passing abilities of a guy like Markowski.

- Look at a player like Jamie Benn. His skating isn't great nor is he renown for his vision and or play making. He still creates chances with his size, aggression and drive.

I've seen a lot of players with fantastic work ethic and drive (especially since I followed the Flames during the age of the Dutter drafting years). Know what that gets you? It gets you Eric Nystrom. Not to sh*t on Nystrom because he's real good at doing his job, but a 4th liner isn't exactly outstanding stuff. In the end, I'm a pragmatist; work ethic is important, but you need to be well-balanced in order to succeed. A player who is all heart and no skill is worthless; a player that's all skill and no heart is even more so. I'm not saying that Khaira has no skill, but he definitely has less than Jankowski. Which means that he has to work just as much if not more so as Mark (who isn't a slouch himself) just to remain within firing distance of him.

- I disagree with your last line. IMO it is more difficult to be an NHL player based solely on skill. There have been a lot of players with a ton of skill that couldn't cut it in the NHL. There's a long list of Oilers failed prospects that I could name but you probably know them already. At least Khaira can be a compliment to a skilled player. A guy like Holmstrom who is big and can clean up the mess or create a mess.

-Khiara is continuing to surpass expectations? That's great and all, but that doesn't prove that he's got hockey smarts, that just proves that he's still on that upward trajectory. Jankowski positions himself better, has better vision and playmaking abilities and is able to commit to being a player within a team system while still providing some offensive chances and points. That is why I say he's a smart hockey player. I don't think Khaira has terribad hockey sense (at least not from what I've seen of him) but IMO Jankowski's better in that regard. Khaira thus far has been able to use his body more than the Jank, so my thoughts on his hockey sense have to be skewed a little because he hasn't had to use it as much. You may as well treat Mark as a smaller player, because he has to find ways other than overpowering other players in order to contribute nightly.

I do agree on the last point; Flames need skill, and Mark is that. Oilers need grit, and Khaira is that. Whether they translate or not remains to be seen, but IMO you don't rank prospects high because they could be a decent role player. There's a reason why Boone Jenner isn't a top 20 or 30 prospect, and it's not because he lacks in grit or heart.

- I'm not high on Khaira because he'll be a decent role player. I like him because he keeps on surpassing expectations.

I'll say this, anytime you have questionable footspeed at play you are going to have a hardtime going in the first round. Maybe the Oilers did find a steal, history would sugget they didn't but that's another topic, but to try and use less than a year to show the Oilers scouting to staff to be these great collection of geniuses and the Flames to be idiots is pretty foolish. Jankoski was drafted where he should have been and by the sounds of it Khaira was taken where he should have been as well and from there we'll see. Personally I would rather have Jankowski and Conner you'd rather have Khaira and that's the way prospects typically work.

And I think you are really mis reading Benn. Benn's a very good skater who i find actually has excellent vision and a lot of skill. Benn's just a classic draft steal and had he been in the WHL one year earlier I have no doubt he is a top 60 pick.

For all players, it comes down to being able to play and excell in the role they are given which is mostly based on their skill set. IMO Khaira doesn't have to be fast to excell in a top 6 role. He has to be able to keep up but his role will likely be to raise a navajo fry bread storm.

For the weaknesses in his game I think the college game is an excellent place to develop. It's less physical and needs players to be able to skate and be sound positionally.

Contrast that with Jankoski. College hockey should let Jankowski's best attributes shine and soften the weaknesses in his game.

Contrast that with Jankoski. College hockey should let Jankowski's best attributes shine and soften the weaknesses in his game.

I can tell that at this point nothing rational that I state will convince you otherwise, but this quote here tells me that your idea of college hockey is misguided. Jankowski's best attributes are his offensive skills, and the college game actually deters from that. Wanna know why so many college guys can jump straight into the AHL? The NCAA is a bigger, more physical and more structured league than the CHL. It also rewards a guy like Khaira because it's more physical and the guys who can take and dish a hit will benefit from that aspect of the game. It's also a slightly (ever so slightly) slower-paced league than the juniors, so a guy with low speed can keep up with the play (like a Khaira or a Bill Arnold) without being a massive liability, while sneaky and/or fast players (Justin Schultz, Johnny Gaudreau to name a few) develop the ability to push the pace and work the cycle without being overpowered, provided they also develop an affinity towards getting separation from defenders and avoiding being manhandled in open ice or on the boards. Both Jankowski and Khaira will look good in different areas of the game. As we can clearly tell, it's obviously working to convince you on Khaira at the very least.

Jankowski's biggest weakness is his lack of strength and/or ability to use his frame. Considering he's going up against guys who could weigh upwards of 50 pounds heavier than him, it's a great place to develop because he has to learn to play shifty, while having the time to build his body off the ice as well. It's also a great place for Khaira, because he's going to be dealing with faster skill players for likely the rest of his hockey career and getting time against the Gaudreaus and the Grimaldis will help him learn to defend against the small, shifty player. Both guys will get their merits in playing the college game.

Jamie Benn is a poor example because he already had the concurrent skill to begin with, it's just that people didn't see it in his draft year because of the line he played on. Playing in the CHL brought to light his actual abilities, rather than hiding in the shadow of his talented linemates in the BCHL. He is aggressive, and he is determined, but those traits are not the only ones that allowed him to become a star. He's got underrated skating and playmaking abilities (although they aren't elite) but his hands are fantastic. If he had the skill of a Brandon Prust, then unfortunately that's all we'd see him become. Skill is potential, while intangibles is what allows you to fulfill your potential. A player who has no heart won't ever fulfill his potential, while a player with no skill will fill it to the brim, but has so little skill that even his full bar is useless for a franchise.

I also believe I said that a player who is all skill and no heart is even more worthless than a heart player with no skill, so yes what you said is correct. But Jankowski has got decent amounts of intangibles as well. If Jank and Khaira both work equally hard, than the guy who has more skill will come out in front. That's why I said it would be harder for Khaira to keep up than the other way around, because I don't think he has the natural skill that Mark does and so the only way he can keep up is by working even more than Mark does. Which, depending on which way Mark goes in his development, could either be really easy or an impossible challenge.

So I tuned in to the LA @ Oiler game for a bit tonight hoping to get my question of Nail meeting up with "Mac Truck" L.A's enforcer.

hockey_enforcer.jpg

Unfortunately I did not get that question answered but I did get another question answered.

The discussion not too long ago was about the Flames gettting some big advantage because we had a much higher number of back to back teams we play who come through Edmonton first. Conner made a big deal about how big that advantage was for us, yet after watching the Oilers play tonight(LA comes to Calgary next day) I can safely say those teams going through Edmonton and playing here the next day won't be a big advantage.

Quite frankly the way the Oilers have been playing you aren't exactly offering much more than a high paced practice to them. So the answer to the big advantage Conner thinks we have is, unless they put up better competition then no there is none to little advantage of us playing those teams the next day after the Oilers play them.

That post was made shortly after the game in Edmonton long before our game tonight. I don't make excuses let alone in advance for my team.

jooooooooooooke.

^ Is that your way of saying that you came out of retirement? :)

good point... i should change that.

Quite frankly the way the Oilers have been playing you aren't exactly offering much more than a high paced practice to them. So the answer to the big advantage Conner thinks we have is, unless they put up better competition then no there is none to little advantage of us playing those teams the next day after the Oilers play them.

That's ridiculous. If the Oilers could play a team that goes against an AHL team the night before I'd take that. It's the Flames lack of motivation that's causing them to lose games (so I hear).

That's ridiculous. If the Oilers could play a team that goes against an AHL team the night before I'd take that. It's the Flames lack of motivation that's causing them to lose games (so I hear).

My point wasn't how the Flames are playing but rather the Oilers inability to challenge other teams at the start of Back to backs.

Did anyone else see what Hall did to Clutterbuck just now? I couldn't believe one of the home broadcasters was trying to say it wasn't even a penalty. "It was more the thigh than the knee... Hall didn't really change course... if they call this kneeing I have a problem with that," are some of the things I recall him saying. If it had been reversed, I'm sure he would have been calling for Clutterbuck to be suspended for the same hit.

I think the refs got it right, I just couldn't believe the one broadcaster trying to pretend it wasn't even a penalty.

Did anyone else see what Hall did to Clutterbuck just now?

Something tells me there will be an answer due on March 3rd for that one...

Just watched it again a couple of times in slo-mo on the PVR from both angles... Hall steered away from the path of the puck and went for the hit with his knee out... Hall should, and I think does know better than to pull that move...

After they got Clutterbuck off the ice, he went to the medical room on a stretcher... Could be bad news for the wild...

Shanaban will be taking a look, and I would be surprised if it is just waived off...

regardless of whether it was an intentional knee or not, I agree that there will be a bullseye on #4's back when they play Minnesota again.

Frustration is really starting to mount. The team shows so many flashes of brilliance yet cannot score, but shows even more flashes of mediocrity. Not enough intensity, not enough motivation, lack of scoring, and cannot keep the puck out of their own net. Enough is enough already. 27'th overall in scoring. And there sits Tambellini, on his hands. Perhaps the "rebuild" is still in full swing.

Something tells me there will be an answer due on March 3rd for that one...

Just watched it again a couple of times in slo-mo on the PVR from both angles... Hall steered away from the path of the puck and went for the hit with his knee out... Hall should, and I think does know better than to pull that move...

After they got Clutterbuck off the ice, he went to the medical room on a stretcher... Could be bad news for the wild...

Shanaban will be taking a look, and I would be surprised if it is just waived off...

perhaps an 8 thousand dollar fine is in order?

regardless of whether it was an intentional knee or not, I agree that there will be a bullseye on #4's back when they play Minnesota again.

Frustration is really starting to mount. The team shows so many flashes of brilliance yet cannot score, but shows even more flashes of mediocrity. Not enough intensity, not enough motivation, lack of scoring, and cannot keep the puck out of their own net. Enough is enough already. 27'th overall in scoring. And there sits Tambellini, on his hands. Perhaps the "rebuild" is still in full swing.

perhaps an 8 thousand dollar fine is in order?

To me, it honestly looked like it could have been intentional, and possibly done out of frustration while down 3 - 1...

If I had to guess, with no prior record in the NHL Hall will only get a fine...

The Edmonton Journal already has a piece on it, and of course out the fans that commented, the ones with Oil in their name saw a different hit... http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/02/21/should-taylor-hall-be-suspended-for-his-hit-on-cal-clutterbuck/ So did Louie DeBrusk, I don't know how he could possibly describe it that way, Halls knee was out...

Also a key factor should be that Clutterbuck did not have the puck... Clutterbuck is not on my list of favorite players, not even close :) But I guarantee that if the jerseys were switched on that hit, every Oil fan on the planet would be calling for a lynching...

Archived