Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It might have ink on it, but it still has a $107M hole in it.

(note: I am not in any way suggesting a move to Seattle is a possibility)

There's no 107 mill hole though. If they can't get it directly from the province (which I don't think they will,) then it will come from the infrastructure money the province has already approved for both Edmonton and Calgary. That just means, no more new museum projects, or a few communities wait to get new rec centres.

My point is that posters here raise legitimate questions about the Oilers, but one thinks just making insulting jabs without even trying to know what he is talking about are enough.

Yes Connor I will take your sig bet. Sorry just got back.

On topic. oilers Devan Dubnyk has been good so far...I don't worry about him in the near future. Top 6 are probably among the best in the league overall. Problems I see are a below average bottom 6 and a bottom half of the league d core.

Took me 15 minutes to type this

Don't post tired people. It's bad.

very tough OT loss tonight. Offside call not blown down on a Dallas PP results in a goal, uncalled too many men to Dallas in OT and it results in a Jagr winner. Officiating league-wide seems to be getting worse every year. Edmonton has probably played an extra game already this year with all the OT time they've played.

We can't be too hard, though. The season is young, we can't just make assumptions.

For instance, Wednesday's loss against Dallas could turn out to be quite exciting.

Just because we expect we expect it to be a boring, typical loss doesn't mean the Oilers won't surprise us with some sort of twist we didn't see coming, enroute to their losing the game

Sure enough, there was a twist. Just goes to show how hard it is to predict exactly how the Oilers will lose

very tough OT loss tonight. Offside call not blown down on a Dallas PP results in a goal, blown too many men call to Dallas in OT and it results in a Jagr winner. Officiating league-wide seems to be getting worse every year. Edmonton has probably played an extra game already this year with all the OT time they've played.

Wow....yeah, super tough loss. Edmonton gets bought out by Katz, trades away their entire defense core and goalies, finishes last for multiple, multiple years in a row (totally not on purpose), televises all their extremely high draft picks like it's something to be proud about, takes a bunch of 18 year old rookies and teaches them to block shots in the preseason, injures most of their star players, team gets shopped around to Seattle, and to top it all off the ref misses a call in this most recent loss.

It'll go better next time

Sure enough, there was a twist. Just goes to show how hard it is to predict exactly how the Oilers will lose

what-a-twist.jpg

Oilers fans getting all uppity in this here thread, despite all the stats showing that they are in fact a lot higher in the standings than they should be and will come back down to earth soon enough, if not right now.

Seriously, trying to convince a Flames fan on a Flames forum that the Oilers are in any way, shape or form better is like trying to convince a meat-atarian (sorry if that was already licensed by Wendy's XD) to convert to vegan-ism. It just ain't gonna happen. Both sides will throw out their arguments and proof, get pissed at each other, the bell rings, we stew in our corners a little, and then get right back up and go at it again.

The Flames have lost games that they deserved to win or at least compete in. While in some ways that proves that we aren't that great a team, the Oil have done the exact same thing. Only difference is that while Calgary has been getting progressively better as the season rolls on, the Oil have dropped the ball through various methods in 4 straight games.

Wow....yeah, super tough loss. Edmonton gets bought out by Katz, trades away their entire defense core and goalies, finishes last for multiple, multiple years in a row (totally not on purpose), televises all their extremely high draft picks like it's something to be proud about, takes a bunch of 18 year old rookies and teaches them to block shots in the preseason, injures most of their star players, team gets shopped around to Seattle, and to top it all off the ref misses a call in this most recent loss.

It'll go better next time

You know, I don't come here to "rumble", I come here to talk hockey. I am respectful of your team and the members of this forum. If it makes you feel better to slag the team with meaningless and inaccurate interpretations of them, by all means go for it, but just remember that for the time being Edmonton is in the mix. They aren't good enough yet but they are improving.

Sure they have lost 4 straight, but 3 out of the 4 have gone to overtime where it's anybody's game. Despite those 4 straight losses they are still 13'th in the league, 7'th in the conference, and 2'nd in the division. Not too bad for a bunch of rookies that have been taught nothing but how to fall in front of pucks.

Yes Connor I will take your sig bet. Sorry just got back.

On topic. oilers Devan Dubnyk has been good so far...I don't worry about him in the near future. Top 6 are probably among the best in the league overall. Problems I see are a below average bottom 6 and a bottom half of the league d core.

Took me 15 minutes to type this

Don't post tired people. It's bad.

What's the bet again?

Oilers fans getting all uppity in this here thread, despite all the stats showing that they are in fact a lot higher in the standings than they should be and will come back down to earth soon enough, if not right now.

Seriously, trying to convince a Flames fan on a Flames forum that the Oilers are in any way, shape or form better is like trying to convince a meat-atarian (sorry if that was already licensed by Wendy's XD) to convert to vegan-ism. It just ain't gonna happen. Both sides will throw out their arguments and proof, get pissed at each other, the bell rings, we stew in our corners a little, and then get right back up and go at it again.

The Flames have lost games that they deserved to win or at least compete in. While in some ways that proves that we aren't that great a team, the Oil have done the exact same thing. Only difference is that while Calgary has been getting progressively better as the season rolls on, the Oil have dropped the ball through various methods in 4 straight games.

I never said the Flames are a last place team. I also didn't declare the Oilers as contenders. I said they'll make the playoffs which from the standpoint of the roster from the beginning of the season was setting the bar a little higher than it should be with their current roster.

You are really marginalizing the Oilers by stating the last 4 games an an indication of where the season is headed.

very tough OT loss tonight. Offside call not blown down on a Dallas PP results in a goal, uncalled too many men to Dallas in OT and it results in a Jagr winner. Officiating league-wide seems to be getting worse every year. Edmonton has probably played an extra game already this year with all the OT time they've played.

Don't fall to that trap of making excuses for your team. We took the hard line last season with all our injuries. Injuries, refs, puck bounces all go against a team at one point or another. The tough thing is to not let it be an excuse for losing. Soon as you do make those types of things an excuse then suddenly it tells your players it isn't their fault and thus okay.

Your last coach on multiple occasions in aftergame losses mentioned these types of excuses. I think I mentioned that in this thread too.

I didn't watch this last game so I don't know how it went but the game before against the Canucks the Oilers couldn't close.

Oilers are better this year than last because at least they can play in the tight games, now Krueger needs to coach them to close these tight games.

Honestly though, one point against the Stars with the Oilers centre depth last night I'll take.

I never said the Flames are a last place team. I also didn't declare the Oilers as contenders. I said they'll make the playoffs which from the standpoint of the roster from the beginning of the season was setting the bar a little higher than it should be with their current roster.

You are really marginalizing the Oilers by stating the last 4 games an an indication of where the season is headed.

Fair enough, I'm willing to admit where I may hold bias. But I do recall plenty of Oilers fans (you included) putting us in the 13 - 15 range in the West. That to me is a last place team. Although TBF most everyone put us in that range, but I digress.

My scouts have found some interesting footage of the Islanders East. I am told they have come to the conclusion they need to add some toughness to go with all the years of drafting skill and drafting top 5 for what seems like 20 years now?

Anyway this is the camp they ran for undrafted looking for that toughness:

Maybe Islanders West should consider something similar.

Hartley as head coach is making a bigger impact than I expected.

Is that a consolation statement to make him feel better?

Should it be such a big suprise? Kinda like how last summer, the Flames were rideculed, people saying Wideman and Hudler were a waste of cap as they would amount to nothing.

Is that a consolation statement to make him feel better?

Should it be such a big suprise? Kinda like how last summer, the Flames were rideculed, people saying Wideman and Hudler were a waste of cap as they would amount to nothing.

No it's not a consolation statement.

There is still a lot to play out. For example:

1. Hartley is known for pushing his teams/players, right? I'm not sure if he brought the same mentality with him to the Flames but in this shortened season with the Flames having a veteran core, there is a possibility that they burn out near the end.

2. Wideman and Hudler have a lot more time to one their contracts. Players often have lived up to their contracts one year to flounder the next and then re-surge and so forth.

Last year I was guilty of getting too caught up in the Oilers hot start. I am trying to learn from my lesson and not judge a whole book on the first chapter.

The Flames had a new coach in a shortened season so there was less time to adjust to a new system. The good news for the Flames are they aren't leaning on the back of Kiprusoff this season. Teams are still in a feeling out process. With a shortened season and all against conference opponents, I think there will be more movement of teams through the standings. A team with a hot streak now could have a similar cold streak and then fall right down the standings.

No it's not a consolation statement.

There is still a lot to play out. For example:

1. Hartley is known for pushing his teams/players, right? I'm not sure if he brought the same mentality with him to the Flames but in this shortened season with the Flames having a veteran core, there is a possibility that they burn out near the end.

2. Wideman and Hudler have a lot more time to one their contracts. Players often have lived up to their contracts one year to flounder the next and then re-surge and so forth.

Last year I was guilty of getting too caught up in the Oilers hot start. I am trying to learn from my lesson and not judge a whole book on the first chapter.

The Flames had a new coach in a shortened season so there was less time to adjust to a new system. The good news for the Flames are they aren't leaning on the back of Kiprusoff this season. Teams are still in a feeling out process. With a shortened season and all against conference opponents, I think there will be more movement of teams through the standings. A team with a hot streak now could have a similar cold streak and then fall right down the standings.

There will be a changing of the guard in the standings undoubtedly. Hot starts push teams ahead, but lots can change down the stretch.

As for the Flames vets burning out, not a chance. Why would a short 48 game season fair worse result than a full 82 game season? Doesn't make sense.

Offside call not blown down on a Dallas PP results in a goal

Officiating league-wide seems to be getting worse every year

I would have to agree with this... It looked like there were 2 zebras in position to see the uncalled offside that resulted in the go ahead goal for Dallas with 1:16 left in the 2nd... Just watched it again from a couple of angles, zoomed and slowed it down, and at the very least the ref on the other end of the blue line should have been able to see that the puck crossed the line... Better and also more consistent officiating league-wide is needed...

Don't fall to that trap of making excuses for your team.

While I generally agree with this, last night's game is one where it really was decided by bad refereeing.

2 very badly blown, and frankly inexcusable calls resulted in goals.

The Oilers need to be better, but last night was heavily influenced by the degenerating standards of NHL officiating.

While I generally agree with this, last night's game is one where it really was decided by bad refereeing.

The Oilers need to be better, but last night was heavily influenced by the degenerating standards of NHL officiating.

No disrespect but every team is going to get some bad calls throughout the season. It is unfortunate the timing on yours last night but you still shouldn't use it as an excuse for the loss.

In the end the poor refereeing isn't just happening with calls against the Oilers. In fact your team is among the teams with fewest penalties called against them.(6th)

What's the bet again?

Sig bet on whether the Flames or Oilers finish higher in the standings at the end of the season.

Does anyone else feel like most of the animosity between the Flames and Oil is between the fans. I want both teams to make the playoffs so the teams can get back to some good old fashioned hate. Lets see a rivalry like Van and Chicago again!

Possible logic for the Too Many Men to NOT be called:

You come over the boards and play the puck before your teammate is off the the ice... penalty as per usual.

In this case the puck was fired into Benn's chest as he popped over the boards with (Roy?) within the acceptable 10 ft zone?

- He didn't make an active attempt to play the thing.. It was shot into him.

Maybe that's it?

Otherwise wouldn't players be firing pucks at people jumping over the boards all the time if it was so black n white rule?

Just thinking out loud...

Archived