Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ohhh, brave! Six years out of the playoffs, three first overall picks, and you're calling playoffs?

How pathetic would it have to be to NOT make that prediction?

Not many analysts are saying the Oilers should make the playoffs, they seem to think if will be a stetch.

I said many times before that I think the Oilers would be close and if they make a move that they will make the playoffs. With the shortened season I don't think they have to make a move to make the playoffs anymore.

Not many analysts are saying the Oilers should make the playoffs, they seem to think if will be a stetch.

I said many times before that I think the Oilers would be close and if they make a move that they will make the playoffs. With the shortened season I don't think they have to make a move to make the playoffs anymore.

Those analysts I have heard so far say the same things they were saying last year. The defense is still a mess and the some are still unsure if your goaltending is solid enough. One of the guys at TSN mentioned he thought the signs were that Devan Dubnyk was ready. However it was not Devan Dubnyk who stood on his head goaltending last year in the Oilers fast start, it was Nikolai Khabibulin who will turn 40 before we drop the puck for this shortened season.

I thought the Oilers were just waiting for the season to be announced before making that huge announcement of a trade? I heard speculation they were after Luongo. That would be a great move for the Oilers and address their needs. Then all you need is a backup who can play lights out in the playoffs and you would be set, weak D or not.

I don't agree. Dubnyk hasn't been given much of a chance as a starter yet, and he more than held his own at the Spengler. Khabibulin is the goaltending issue in Edmonton, not Dubnyck IMO. Jumping after an immensely bloated contract when we know the cap will be going down and the necessity to sign more young picks in the near future makes taking a stab at Luongo very unlikely, and irrisponsible.

I don't agree. Dubnyk hasn't been given much of a chance as a starter yet, and he more than held his own at the Spengler. Khabibulin is the goaltending issue in Edmonton, not Dubnyck IMO. Jumping after an immensely bloated contract when we know the cap will be going down and the necessity to sign more young picks in the near future makes taking a stab at Luongo very unlikely, and irrisponsible.

that's why we all like the idea ;)

So this comment begs the question of how many years are you going to give him to get it together? This is his 4th season he is going into and only shown short periods of better than mediocre NHL quality goaltending. Frankly that team would make you look good in net at the Spengler Cup.

Also Khabibulin wasn't the problem last year when he was standing on his head and then some the first couple of months last season when he and put the Oilers in a solid playoff position.

So this comment begs the question of how many years are you going to give him to get it together? This is his 4th season he is going into and only shown short periods of better than mediocre NHL quality goaltending. Frankly that team would make you look good in net at the Spengler Cup.

Also Khabibulin wasn't the problem last year when he was standing on his head and then some the first couple of months last season when he and put the Oilers in a solid playoff position.

I take it you didn't watch the Spengler then? Dubnyck wasn't exactly sitting back and having tea and crumpets in the net. He's never had a real chance to really put anything together in Edmonton, and he's never been given the starters role for more than a few games. Last year was his most ice time he's ever gotten for the Oilers, and it was a 50/50 split with Khabibulin.

Even with Khabibulin's great start to the year last year he finished the season with a higher GAA, a lower save percentage, and fewer wins than Dubnyck. In fact, Khabibulin finished the season at 12W 20L 7OTL compared with Dubnycks 20W 20L 3OTL.

reason for optimism, or complete hogwash?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130109/nhl-preseason-power-rankings/index.html

IMO it is in many ways pretty good but in many ways horrbily off base. Pittsburgh will fall without Staal, Edmonton is way too high up the list (for now lol), Tampa bay way too far down that list especially since acquiring Carle.

http://sportsillustr...ings/index.html

IMO it is in many ways pretty good but in many ways horrbily off base. Pittsburgh will fall without Staal, Edmonton is way too high up the list (for now lol), Tampa bay way too far down that list especially since acquiring Carle.

it's the annual pre-season optimism for the Oilers.

it's the annual pre-season optimism for the Oilers.

we are planning the cup parade as I type :P

Seriously though, Edmonton 3'd and Calgary way down at 24'th? I have to admit I wish it were true but reality takes hold. With the addition Hudler and Wideman, their defensive strength and goaltending, some greath young guys coming up, I can't see them being that low even if they have another slow start to the season.

Oh my god! Yeah! Oh god!!!! Yes!!!! Put it in the net!!!! Shoot!!!!

There's my optimism.

We're still talking hockey, right?

we are planning the cup parade as I type :P

Seriously though, Edmonton 3'd and Calgary way down at 24'th? I have to admit I wish it were true but reality takes hold. With the addition Hudler and Wideman, their defensive strength and goaltending, some greath young guys coming up, I can't see them being that low even if they have another slow start to the season.

To be fair, he is only talking about the start, not the season

To be fair, he is only talking about the start, not the season

Seriously?

Power rankings are how the teams are rated throughout the league. They are adjusted weekly but they are still ranking the teams for the foreseeable future. It's not like he's ranking them 3rd now but KNOWS they're going to be 20th by the time the season is done.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130109/nhl-preseason-power-rankings/index.html

re: Bolded... Even a broken clock is right twice a day, and Adrian Dater can make Ecklund look reliable at times... :lol:

eg: He has the Ducks at 25th, and then he opens with "Any team with Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan as a top line will have a shot at the playoffs."

Make up your mind Dater, if you think they will have a shot at the playoffs you should not have ranked them at 25th...

Anyone with even basic hockey knowledge would never doubt the offensive potential of the Oil... After ranking the Oilers 3rd, he acknowledges that, but then he also includes "Granted, big questions remain in goal and defense,"

As you pointed out bronco 73, some of what Dater says makes sense, but to me between his obvious oversights, bias and contradictions, the BS far too often outweighs what actually makes sense when he spouts off...

Dater is good for a laugh, but not much else... :)

Seriously?

Power rankings are how the teams are rated throughout the league. They are adjusted weekly but they are still ranking the teams for the foreseeable future. It's not like he's ranking them 3rd now but KNOWS they're going to be 20th by the time the season is done.

Did you read what he wrote?

Besides, the entire purpose of power rankings is to give a snapshot of where teams are RIGHT NOW. That is precisely why injuries and streaks are so strongly rated. Power rankings ARE NOT an assessment of which teams are favoured to win the cup, they are an assessment of who is hot TODAY.

Did you read what he wrote?

Besides, the entire purpose of power rankings is to give a snapshot of where teams are RIGHT NOW. That is precisely why injuries and streaks are so strongly rated. Power rankings ARE NOT an assessment of which teams are favoured to win the cup, they are an assessment of who is hot TODAY.

Everyone who I've seen interpret the ranking (other than you) sees it him picking the Oilers as the 3rd best team in the league as of today.

I don't think the Oilers are 3rd best, not even close but that is how the author ranked them.

Everyone who I've seen interpret the ranking (other than you) sees it him picking the Oilers as the 3rd best team in the league as of today.

I don't think the Oilers are 3rd best, not even close but that is how the author ranked them.

It is just somebody's opinion and I couldn't care less, except that just isn't what he said. And it's funny that you say everone you've seen interpret it because, on other boards I've seen, it's clear to all that he meant now.

"Check with me in a month or two, but it says here that they will get off to a great start -- which really ups the odds of getting into the playoffs"

If you're not capable of understanding those comments, and if you interpret that as him saying they are the 3rd best team, I don't know what else I can say to help you.

It is just somebody's opinion and I couldn't care less, except that just isn't what he said. And it's funny that you say everone you've seen interpret it because, on other boards I've seen, it's clear to all that he meant now.

"Check with me in a month or two, but it says here that they will get off to a great start -- which really ups the odds of getting into the playoffs"

If you're not capable of understanding those comments, and if you interpret that as him saying they are the 3rd best team, I don't know what else I can say to help you.

Now C_W you can't go ripping that nice linen tablecloth(ratings) off of the Oilers new dining room table. They just finished shining up all the silverware and setting up the table for a big feast(the rest of the NHL). They(Oiler Fans) haven't had a decent meal in what 8 years now?

Now C_W you can't go ripping that nice linen tablecloth(ratings) off of the Oilers new dining room table. They just finished shining up all the silverware and setting up the table for a big feast(the rest of the NHL). They(Oiler Fans) haven't had a decent meal in what 8 years now?

Deeds is right...

If they get an upgrade from doormat to tablecloth in the ratings, we should let them enjoy it while they can...

Deeds is right...

If they get an upgrade from doormat to tablecloth in the ratings, we should let them enjoy it while they can...

It's hilarious when you attempt to beak the Oilers. It's like some guy who lives on welfare with his parents calling the homeless lazy.

Archived