Louis23

come on C_Worthy, that's just conspiracy theory gone wild. They got younger because they lost a ton of games and picked high in the draft for kids that had already developed enough to not need time in the AHL, also they couldn't get vets to go there, and had to bring up young players to fill the lines. Older players were moved out for sure, most of whom were past their due date. Smyth, Smith, Moreau, Staios, etc. had all had their better days already behind them. It had nothing to do with saving money, period.

If it was to save money, they wouldn't have offered 10 mill to Hossa, 7 to Vanek offer sheet, 4.5 to Penner offer sheet, trade offer for expensive Heatley, 4 to Jagr, 4.5 to washed up Khabibulin, 7 to disappointing Horcoff, etc. They way overpaid the players they had, and offered tons to try to lure talent there. A team that does that isn't looking to pinch pennies.

What is that - one per year? And a couple of those (like Jagr for instance) are pure speculation on your part.

Oiler fans always lament that players won't come there. Yet the Panthers managed to go out and improve their team through free agency, as have numerous others. And please don't tell me that Florida is a desired destination in the NHL because it simply isn't.

Anyway Bronco, my point was in response to Connor claiming that Katz spends while the prior regime didn't. Simply not true as you well know. However, he has never let facts or reason get in his way.

Lets see;

Yandle or Wideman at 5.25

Pavelski or Hudler at 4

Eberle or Cammalleri at 6 million

hmmmmmm.

When did the Oilers sign Yandle and Pavelski? (we'll ignore the fact that Eberle is on a 2nd contract and that Cammalleri got $6M from Montreal, not the Flames)

More importantly, NOTHING you said here is even on topic, never mind actually making any kind of a point.

Nothing but a troll.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is that - one per year? And a couple of those (like Jagr for instance) are pure speculation on your part.

Oiler fans always lament that players won't come there. Yet the Panthers managed to go out and improve their team through free agency, as have numerous others. And please don't tell me that Florida is a desired destination in the NHL because it simply isn't.

Anyway Bronco, my point was in response to Connor claiming that Katz spends while the prior regime didn't. Simply not true as you well know. However, he has never let facts or reason get in his way.

When did the Oilers sign Yandle and Pavelski? (we'll ignore the fact that Eberle is on a 2nd contract and that Cammalleri got $6M from Montreal, not the Flames)

More importantly, NOTHING you said here is even on topic, never mind actually making any kind of a point.

Nothing but a troll.

Do you seriously believe that Katz will not spend to the cap when needed or are you simply trying to just prove me wrong because I'm not taking the time to thuroughly explain?

Katz bought out Souray. He could have just had him play in the minors but he was bought out.

Those players are brought up are comparing same salaries but the difference in skill from a player who was signed by his team or a player signed as a free agent. Free agents are overpriced, especially for a middling, going nowhere team like the Flames.

The Oilers aren't signing free agents because they are far less bang for buck and they will want longer term contracts. The Oilers are saving space to sign their key players.

The Flames can take all the Widemans, Hudlers, Bouwmeesters and Cervenkas they want. The Oilers will keep their Halls, Eberles, Nuges, Yakupovs and Schultzs. What players would you rather have?

Don't hate just becasue the Oilers have better players.

Free agents are overpriced, especially for a middling, going nowhere team like the Flames.

Seriously, why are you on this message board? You have your Oilers board, and HF. Why come on to a teams board that you obviously hate/dislike? Do you get some high being a troll? Do you just enjoy annoying people? Do you feel obligated to be some sort of oilers representative that defends them in enemy territory? Or do you simply have nothing better to do in life? One thing we can conclude (based on evidence) is that you have too much time on your hands.

Do you seriously believe that Katz will not spend to the cap when needed or are you simply trying to just prove me wrong because I'm not taking the time to thuroughly explain?

Katz bought out Souray. He could have just had him play in the minors but he was bought out.

Those players are brought up are comparing same salaries but the difference in skill from a player who was signed by his team or a player signed as a free agent. Free agents are overpriced, especially for a middling, going nowhere team like the Flames.

The Oilers aren't signing free agents because they are far less bang for buck and they will want longer term contracts. The Oilers are saving space to sign their key players.

The Flames can take all the Widemans, Hudlers, Bouwmeesters and Cervenkas they want. The Oilers will keep their Halls, Eberles, Nuges, Yakupovs and Schultzs. What players would you rather have?

You made the claim that the Oilers didn't sign Smyth because ownership at the time wasn't willing to spend like Katz is.

I proved you wrong.

As usual, you just keep moving the target until finally settling on "oh yeah? well our players are better than your players"

Go home

You made the claim that the Oilers didn't sign Smyth because ownership at the time wasn't willing to spend like Katz is.

I proved you wrong.

As usual, you just keep moving the target until finally settling on "oh yeah? well our players are better than your players"

Go home

You're arguing with yourself.

I said there is little question that Katz would spend to the cap when he needs to. Spending stupidly means diminishing returns.

You said saracstically less money = better team.

I compared current Flames players who are overpaid and a player in the same position who makes the same amount of money but who was signed by there own team.

You suddenly got lost and didn't comprehend the comparison.

I explain the comparison to you.

You get mad again.

I said there is little question that Katz would spend to the cap when he needs to. Spending stupidly means diminishing returns.

I would think that a team that has been floundering around at the bottom of the toilet for a few years now could not become much more diminished...

You see, that's the difference between you and a guy like bronco73... He is honest and points out that the Oilers have tried to get, and even overpay a number of free agents... They simply did not want to play for Edmonton...

Souray wanted out of Edmonton, and made that very clear on more than one occasion...

Another case of the pot calling the kettle black...

Again, as per above... The Oilers have tried to get, and even overpay a number of free agents... They simply did not want to play for Edmonton... The Oilers have also collected their young gun high draft picks by laying at the bottom of the pool after drowning... They will need to pay those same players and will run out of cap space unless they continue to ignore other important parts of the team like defense and goaltending...

Your heavily NHL player loaded Oklahoma Barons are currently sitting in 10th place in the Western Conference, the young guns have not exactly been living up to expectations... By the way, the Heat are in 1st... There is no doubt that Yakupov has talent, but it is unknown if he will sink or swim... Schultz has all the loyalty of a garden slug, so it is unlikely he will stay if he does in fact make a name for himself, he chose Edmonton due to the opportunity he will have to shine as the Oilers defense is almost non existent...

I don`t even think a lot of us actually hate the Oilers... Even as a rival hockey team, a person almost has to feel badly for the way the team has sadly diminished... I hope you meant the Oilers have better players as a joke, because the only real change so far is Schultz, he is an unknown factor, but will not be enough to pull the Oil out of the basement... The Oilers still need support for their young guns (while they have them at least), some serious additions on defense, and at least one consistent goaltender...

You were doing well for a while Connor but you must have had those copper tinted lens copper plated because you can't seem to see what's obvious.

1) Souray did play 2010-11 in the AHL. He was bought out only when it became obvious no teams would do the Oilers a favor by trading for him.

2) & 3) The Oilers aren't signing good UFAs because it's already been proven over the last few years they keep getting snubbed by those with other options.

4) Of course having Hall & RNH is preferable to many players. It's the payoff for those 1/1 picks garnered by by finishing last. (Personally, I'd rather contend, pick later & fill out the roster with UFAs as they don't snub Calgary.) Yakupov & Schultz are both unproven in the NHL so I'll hold off calling them better then any of the Flames you mention until they've actually showed they are. Eberle is my personal favorite of the Oilers (& the last 1st rounder they didn't pluck by finishing last) but Sven & other Flames picks show talent too.

As to your last line I'll just reword the sentiment. Don't hate just because the Flames have a better TEAM.

The problem with the Oilers not spending to the cap under Katz is partly due to the fact that they had gotten younger, a lot younger. Entry level players are subject to a maximum salary of under a million dollars (not sure of the exact number, it changes every year). Bringing in the young guys and moving the higher salary ones out means lower payroll.

Also, it's pretty tough to spend to the cap when players won't even look at the team as an option. They offered boatloads of cash to countless high end talent, they just didn't want to play here. Katz and management were willing to spend, they just couldn't find anybody to willing to take Katz's money.

Revisionist history. They got younger in order to save money.

Katz came in and immediately cut the budget in order to save money to pay for the purchase of the team as well as a new rink.

He called it a re-build and Oiler fans swallowed it whole.

C_worthy, there is little doubt that part of the drop was an inability to get players to sign. heck, you had Nylander (sp?) SIGN a contract with Edmonton, then sign another one with Washington!!! (that ended up working in the Oilers favor).

However, the key to Bronco's statement is partially responsible. The throw it away strategy was precipitated by nobody signing or wanting to stay, and to be fair the Oilers have tried to sign big names to overpriced contracts and (until shultz) nobody with options would go to them in spite of it. However even in their failed signings they have not addressed their problems. Team is overbalanced on forwards with no D or Goaltending? Try to sign Jagr!

By no means was the rebuild due to astute management. It was because of the spectacular and complete failure of management to do anything else.

The idea that it was planned, and how at the end of the year it is always "we knew we had another year of hardship) however was definitely swallowed whole.

By no means was the rebuild due to astute management. It was because of the spectacular and complete failure of management to do anything else.

The idea that it was planned, and how at the end of the year it is always "we knew we had another year of hardship) however was definitely swallowed whole.

Perhaps someday, even trolls like Connor might realize that the Kool-Aid they have been getting served to them is actually pretty harsh... :)

I wouldn't bet the farm on it though... :lol:

I would think that a team that has been floundering around at the bottom of the toilet for a few years now could not become much more diminished...

You see, that's the difference between you and a guy like bronco73... He is honest and points out that the Oilers have tried to get, and even overpay a number of free agents... They simply did not want to play for Edmonton...

First one person claims that the Oilers aren't doing what is best for the team by not signing UFAs (C-Worthy) than another one claims the Oilers are trying unsuccessfully at signing players (Carty).

IMO the Oilers have stopped trying to land the big fish UFA since the 2010 off season. I don't work for the Oilers so I have no idea who they have been trying to sign. They might have had talks with Weber's agent this summer seeing if he would sign with the Oilers, other than that I haven't heard them go after anybody noteworthy other than Schultz.

I never denied the Oilers were swinging for the fences every July 1st from July 1 2007 to 2009. I actually made a claim that the Flames actions as a team now are similar to what the Oilers were doing then. The best analogy to this is that both teams are/were trying to swim up stream. Their cores weren't making the playoffs and they would sign or try to sign players to right the ship. Katz decided the team needs to start swimming in the direction of the stream.

Oilers signed players like Souray, Penner, Khabibulin and Nedved. Failed on players like Jagr and Forsberg.

Flames signed players like Hudler and then trading for negotiating rights to Wideman and Bouwmeester. They Flames failed at signing Richards, not sure what others but probably more.

There were a lot of players that didn't want to sign in Edmonton and there probably still is. Same with Calgary.

Souray wanted out of Edmonton, and made that very clear on more than one occasion...

Souray also said he wanted to come back to play for Edmonton in the 2010-11 season. Not sure if it was being in the minors or because the Oilers were actually starting to get some exciting players.

Another case of the pot calling the kettle black...

We've been down this road before. Oilers were going nowhere but now have some exciting young players to build around. The Flames' core consists mostly of prime or past prime players. I did a poll on another team's board between which team and players would you rather have and it was insanely one sided towards the Oilers.

Again, as per above... The Oilers have tried to get, and even overpay a number of free agents... They simply did not want to play for Edmonton... The Oilers have also collected their young gun high draft picks by laying at the bottom of the pool after drowning... They will need to pay those same players and will run out of cap space unless they continue to ignore other important parts of the team like defense and goaltending...

What key free agents have the Oilers tried to sign and struck out on since 2010? I also beg to differ on the Oilers not being able to afford their players.

Your heavily NHL player loaded Oklahoma Barons are currently sitting in 10th place in the Western Conference, the young guns have not exactly been living up to expectations... By the way, the Heat are in 1st... There is no doubt that Yakupov has talent, but it is unknown if he will sink or swim... Schultz has all the loyalty of a garden slug, so it is unlikely he will stay if he does in fact make a name for himself, he chose Edmonton due to the opportunity he will have to shine as the Oilers defense is almost non existent...

So are you saying the Barons of 2011-12 are composed of better players than the 2012-13 Barons? The 2011-12 Barons were a 1st place team too.

Please, you are over stating Yakupov's likelihood of failure. It is probably less than 5%. You are also making assumptions of why Schultz signed here. If you're his agent of Justin himself then fill me in, if not don't try to overstate your bias opinions as fact.

I don`t even think a lot of us actually hate the Oilers... Even as a rival hockey team, a person almost has to feel badly for the way the team has sadly diminished... I hope you meant the Oilers have better players as a joke, because the only real change so far is Schultz, he is an unknown factor, but will not be enough to pull the Oil out of the basement... The Oilers still need support for their young guns (while they have them at least), some serious additions on defense, and at least one consistent goaltender..

Oilers core is much more appealing than the Flames in a real world scenario. If it's a win next year because it's the last year on the earth scenario, Flames might have a slight edge.

Oilers need a decent top 4 or a really solid #5 defensive defenceman preferably a right hand shot like a Derek Morris. They need either a veteran, consistent goaltender to battle for the #1 goalie position or a very solid backup goalie. Oilers need one more veteran top 9 forward and that should be enough to have a roster to challenge for a playoff spot.

You were doing well for a while Connor but you must have had those copper tinted lens copper plated because you can't seem to see what's obvious. 1) Souray did play 2010-11 in the AHL. He was bought out only when it became obvious no teams would do the Oilers a favor by trading for him.2) & 3) The Oilers aren't signing good UFAs because it's already been proven over the last few years they keep getting snubbed by those with other options.4) Of course having Hall & RNH is preferable to many players. It's the payoff for those 1/1 picks garnered by by finishing last. (Personally, I'd rather contend, pick later & fill out the roster with UFAs as they don't snub Calgary.) Yakupov & Schultz are both unproven in the NHL so I'll hold off calling them better then any of the Flames you mention until they've actually showed they are. Eberle is my personal favorite of the Oilers (& the last 1st rounder they didn't pluck by finishing last) but Sven & other Flames picks show talent too.As to your last line I'll just reword the sentiment. Don't hate just because the Flames have a better TEAM.

Oilers have not been actively pursuing big fish UFAs in a few years now and they would be stupid to be. They are going to try to build the team from within as well as they can and then fill in the blanks with UFAs and or trades. Flames aren't signing good UFAs either.

Schultz and Yakupov are as proven as Bartschi. I'm not at all concerned that either Yakupov or Schultz will be busts.

What's a better team? Missing the playoffs or really missing the playoffs? Both teams miss the playoffs just one gets a higher chance of adding an impact player.

C_worthy, there is little doubt that part of the drop was an inability to get players to sign. heck, you had Nylander (sp?) SIGN a contract with Edmonton, then sign another one with Washington!!! (that ended up working in the Oilers favor).However, the key to Bronco's statement is partially responsible. The throw it away strategy was precipitated by nobody signing or wanting to stay, and to be fair the Oilers have tried to sign big names to overpriced contracts and (until shultz) nobody with options would go to them in spite of it. However even in their failed signings they have not addressed their problems. Team is overbalanced on forwards with no D or Goaltending? Try to sign Jagr!By no means was the rebuild due to astute management. It was because of the spectacular and complete failure of management to do anything else.The idea that it was planned, and how at the end of the year it is always "we knew we had another year of hardship) however was definitely swallowed whole.

Not many people think the rebuild was planned. It was the Oilers were in a horrible position November 2009 and they decided to go with it instead of continuing the fight to maintain being a mediocre team.

Perhaps someday, even trolls like Connor might realize that the Kool-Aid they have been getting served to them is actually pretty harsh... :) I wouldn't bet the farm on it though... :lol:

I admit that Katz and the Oilers did a great job of marketing the rebuild. I think part of it is that a large majority of Oiler fans are hardcore, not fair weather fans and they have seen how teams like Pittsburgh, Chicago and LA have been able to do by rebuilding through the draft.

Seriously, why are you on this message board? You have your Oilers board, and HF. Why come on to a teams board that you obviously hate/dislike? Do you get some high being a troll? Do you just enjoy annoying people? Do you feel obligated to be some sort of oilers representative that defends them in enemy territory? Or do you simply have nothing better to do in life? One thing we can conclude (based on evidence) is that you have too much time on your hands.

I spend the most time on this board. I like talking to people that have a much different opinion than me.

I spend the most time on this board. I like talking to people that have a much different opinion than me.

Fair enough, but my point wasn't that the Oilers didn't spend to the cap under Katz ownership because I know they did not, it was that they tried to but were unable to make any deals to be able to. And Florida does have at least some advantages over Edmonton; much less pressure from fans and media, far better weather, not a "fishbowl", etc.

We know Penner, Khabibulin, and Horcoff signed with Edmonton for ridiculous money, here are the others that I listed and did not sign:

Hossa: http://oilersnation.com/2008/7/1/oilers-first-in-line-for-hossa

Vanek: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2927805

Heatley: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/06/30/sp-heatley-trade-rumour.html

Jagr: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/02/22/jagr-admits-he-almost-signed-with-oilers/

(and BTW, the Oilers went after Jagr twice and struck out both times, when he left for Omsk and when he returned)

Nylander: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2007/07/03/nylander-oilers.html

Fair enough, but my point wasn't that the Oilers didn't spend to the cap under Katz ownership because I know they did not, it was that they tried to but were unable to make any deals to be able to. And Florida does have at least some advantages over Edmonton; much less pressure from fans and media, far better weather, not a "fishbowl", etc.

We know Penner, Khabibulin, and Horcoff signed with Edmonton for ridiculous money, here are the others that I listed and did not sign:

Heatley: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2009/06/30/sp-heatley-trade-rumour.html

Jagr: http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2012/02/22/jagr-admits-he-almost-signed-with-oilers/

(and BTW, the Oilers went after Jagr twice and struck out both times, when he left for Omsk and when he returned)

Another honest assessment from a rival teams fan... Cheers to bronco73... beerchug.gif

Since the 2010-11 season, who have the Oilers tried but failed to acquire?

I didn't hear the Oilers go after Jagr when he returned from the KHL. There was a lot of speculation from the media but I never heard the speculation linked to sources saying the Oilers were going after him. Do you have links on this?

Technically speaking, the Oilers did sign Vanek. Bad contract but he still signed.

Another honest assessment from a rival teams fan... Cheers to bronco73... beerchug.gif

^ seconded

Make that 3.

First one person claims that the Oilers aren't doing what is best for the team by not signing UFAs (C-Worthy) than another one claims the Oilers are trying unsuccessfully at signing players (Carty).

IMO the Oilers have stopped trying to land the big fish UFA since the 2010 off season. I don't work for the Oilers so I have no idea who they have been trying to sign. They might have had talks with Weber's agent this summer seeing if he would sign with the Oilers, other than that I haven't heard them go after anybody noteworthy other than Schultz.

I never denied the Oilers were swinging for the fences every July 1st from July 1 2007 to 2009. I actually made a claim that the Flames actions as a team now are similar to what the Oilers were doing then. The best analogy to this is that both teams are/were trying to swim up stream. Their cores weren't making the playoffs and they would sign or try to sign players to right the ship. Katz decided the team needs to start swimming in the direction of the stream.

What key free agents have the Oilers tried to sign and struck out on since 2010? I also beg to differ on the Oilers not being able to afford their players.

Oilers have not been actively pursuing big fish UFAs in a few years now and they would be stupid to be. They are going to try to build the team from within as well as they can and then fill in the blanks with UFAs and or trades. Flames aren't signing good UFAs either.

Not many people think the rebuild was planned. It was the Oilers were in a horrible position November 2009 and they decided to go with it instead of continuing the fight to maintain being a mediocre team.

Since the 2010-11 season, who have the Oilers tried but failed to acquire?

I didn't hear the Oilers go after Jagr when he returned from the KHL. There was a lot of speculation from the media but I never heard the speculation linked to sources saying the Oilers were going after him. Do you have links on this?

Technically speaking, the Oilers did sign Vanek. Bad contract but he still signed.

You keep getting proven wrong including by Bronco (who is more honest with us & himself in his assessments) & your responses are to move the parameters.

Look @ the facts instead of twisting them to try to support what you hope is happening.

You keep getting proven wrong including by Bronco (who is more honest with us & himself in his assessments) & your responses are to move the parameters.

Look @ the facts instead of twisting them to try to support what you hope is happening.

How was I proven wrong?

Maybe I'm not specific enough in my meaning when stating something but then someone on here runs to point out the cracks in the wall.

^ seconded

Make that 3.

4. I like Bronco's posts. I feel like i may learn a different opinion that isn't cherry picked history.

If at first you don't succeed, try try again. If you still don't succeed, redefine what constitutes success.

It's how the Oilers are managed, Conner argues, and why I always succeed at clubs.

Oilers are the team to watch according to Calgary Flames media personality Eric Duhatschek.

Eric Duhatschek December 18th.

While the team hasn't proven anything yet, it's tough to argue that they aren't turning the corner (finally) and are going to be finally climbing out of the depths. Too bad we might lose this entire season, we could at least have seen a tease of how the team will be progressing.

Oilers are the team to watch according to Calgary Flames media personality Eric Duhatschek.

Eric Duhatschek December 18th.

:blink: Of course they are a team to watch, with 2 first overall draft picks they managed to get second worst in the league. Everyone is waiting with baited breath for what sort of highs they can reach with three. ^_^ I'm gunna call it right now. This is the year they may actually be one of the best 27 teams in the NHL!

In all seriousness, is anyone on here saying it is not going to be interesting to see what happens with the Oilers when hockey starts up again?

:blink: Of course they are a team to watch, with 2 first overall draft picks they managed to get second worst in the league. Everyone is waiting with baited breath for what sort of highs they can reach with three. ^_^ I'm gunna call it right now. This is the year they may actually be one of the best 27 teams in the NHL!

In all seriousness, is anyone on here saying it is not going to be interesting to see what happens with the Oilers when hockey starts up again?

It takes time. I don't recall the Penguins winning the cup in Crosby's rookie season, in fact they finished dead last in the Eastern conference with 58 points despite him getting 102 individual points on the season. A couple of first overall picks were not going to suddenly catapult Edmonton into elite status, they are a starting point to creating a competitive team. Expectations of the team were too high (myself included). Plugging up two holes in a virtual swiss cheese of glaring deficiencies was not going to be enough.

It takes time. I don't recall the Penguins winning the cup in Crosby's rookie season, in fact they finished dead last in the Eastern conference with 58 points despite him getting 102 individual points on the season. A couple of first overall picks were not going to suddenly catapult Edmonton into elite status, they are a starting point to creating a competitive team. Expectations of the team were too high (myself included). Plugging up two holes in a virtual swiss cheese of glaring deficiencies was not going to be enough.

The Oilers are going to be in a much better situation than most teams in the NHL when the lockout ends.

The young core has been playing together while others have been playing overseas. The ones who haven't been playing the ones with more wear and tear. Those ones will be rusty but at least their bodies should be in better health.

The player that I am most concerned with is the one who is important factor to the Oilers success next season in Dubnyk. He's at an age and a stage of development where he needed to play.

The Oilers are going to be in a much better situation than most teams in the NHL when the lockout ends.

The young core has been playing together while others have been playing overseas. The ones who haven't been playing the ones with more wear and tear. Those ones will be rusty but at least their bodies should be in better health.

The player that I am most concerned with is the one who is important factor to the Oilers success next season in Dubnyk. He's at an age and a stage of development where he needed to play.

You conveniently omit the fact the Oilers are 1 of the few teams that could send their core to the AHL but are not exactly setting the league on fire while facing the few eligible youngsters on other teams & cores of career minor league players.

The previous stoppage showed us that many older players used the time to recharge & come back strong. Selanne & Lidstrom are just 2 examples.

The patina on your glasses probably needs to be scraped down a bit as it seems to be obscuring your vision. :)

Archived