Louis23

What bad team on the rise? You mean the Flames? Cause it sure as hell isn't the Oilers. Not yet, anyways.

You seem to be very opinionated which seems to be pushing back your ability to take a non-judgmental look at Calgary. I have an opinion too, I prefer we don't follow the Oilers route, because it doesn't look like it'll pay off for at least another 2 years. Sure they have a bright future, but whether or not it ever comes to fruition is a whole other matter. Potential means nothing if you can never achieve it. And besides, isn't it more interesting this way? One team blowing it up and another reloading. A contrast of methods, but both look to be potential ways to rebuild. A battle of styles, a battle of GMs, a battle of opinions.

A competitive environment is much preferable IMO than an environment where "hope" is the only thing that's selling tickets. In a sense we're selling "hope" as well, but in a much different manner. People want to pay for a competitive team, and being a poor student I can only understand that outlook when money is tight.

We are rebuilding, in about 2 years you won't recognise this team anymore. We just choose to do it in a different method. Both tanking and reloading have success stories. Tanking has Chicago, Washington and Pittsburgh, reloading has Philadelphia, the Rangers, New Jersey, Vancouver. Both also have failures. Tanking has the Islanders, Florida, and the current edition of the Oilers. Reloading failures include Montreal, Buffalo, Carolina, and Columbus.

Could we both faceplant? Sure. Could we both succeed eventually? Certainly. However, the topic being discussed is the BoA, not the futures of both squads. And right now Edmonton is not holding up to par.

I am opinionated but that's not what's stopping me from being non-judgemental about Calgary; it's the Flames' fans telling me that the Flames telling me they're better off than the Oilers which I strongly disagree with.

The topic is the Edmonton Oilers and or Oilers vs. Flames in any and all aspects.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am opinionated but that's not what's stopping me from being non-judgemental about Calgary; it's the Flames' fans telling me that the Flames telling me they're better off than the Oilers which I strongly disagree with.

The topic is the Edmonton Oilers and or Oilers vs. Flames in any and all aspects.

I'd find it hard to argue that the Oilers are doing better than the Flames at the moment. Check the standings, recent results and the BoA scoreboard. The future will probably be a different matter, but we can evaluate that when it happens.

I'd find it hard to argue that the Oilers are doing better than the Flames at the moment. Check the standings, recent results and the BoA scoreboard. The future will probably be a different matter, but we can evaluate that when when it happens if it ever happens.

There. I fixed that slight error.

I'd find it hard to argue that the Oilers are doing better than the Flames at the moment. Check the standings, recent results and the BoA scoreboard. The future will probably be a different matter, but we can evaluate that when it happens.

The Oilers as a team do suck now but it's towards building to the future. When the Oilers were missing the playoffs be trying to compete every year, I had far less hope and enthusiasm than I do now for the Oilers.

The Oilers as a team do suck now but it's towards building to the future. When the Oilers were missing the playoffs be trying to compete every year, I had far less hope and enthusiasm than I do now for the Oilers.

The Oilers have been "building for the future" for 3 years now. Eventually your future needs to nut up and perform or just gtfo. Face it, the Oilers have gotten 2 #1 picks and are well on their way for a 3rd in 3 years. They have no long term goalie and no defense. By the time the Oilers fix all their holes Hall, Eberle, RHN and others will no longer be making very little or possibly not even on the team anymore. If they do not fix some of their issues this off season then their "rebuild" will have done absolutely nothing.

The Oilers have been "building for the future" for 3 years now. Eventually your future needs to nut up and perform or just gtfo. Face it, the Oilers have gotten 2 #1 picks and are well on their way for a 3rd in 3 years. They have no long term goalie and no defense. By the time the Oilers fix all their holes Hall, Eberle, RHN and others will no longer be making very little or possibly not even on the team anymore. If they do not fix some of their issues this off season then their "rebuild" will have done absolutely nothing.

The only way the Oilers get the 1st overall pick this year is if they win the draft lottery; they won't finish last.

Tambelinni and company need to address the team's defence this off season and if he doesn't, he will be under immense pressure to get the team to perform.

If the Oilers aren't in the playoff mix next season, there will likely be several off ice changes.

This trade-deadline / off-season is the most important moment in the entire rebuild for the Oilers. I agree with Zirak if they do not have the moves in place to properly balance their team to at least the Flames level of a bubble playoff team they are in trouble in Edmonton.

The rebuild can stagnate at that point and the timing of it can skew to the point that they can see players become frustrated and plan to leave. Just like Jbo refused to sign with Florida and went to UFA, just like Kovie did the same with Atlanta. Players want to win and if the Oilers can not man up with a competitive team next year they could slide right off the rebuild road and flip the car like the Islanders and Thrashers, serving not as a model but a warning for teams in trouble.

Maybe it will quiet down all these knee-jerk posters who say blow it up as the memory of the Pens and Hawks fade and people start to focus on the more recent strong teams that slowly built it up like Boston, Vancouver, NYR and Philly…

This trade-deadline / off-season is the most important moment in the entire rebuild for the Oilers. I agree with Zirak if they do not have the moves in place to properly balance their team to at least the Flames level of a bubble playoff team they are in trouble in Edmonton.

The rebuild can stagnate at that point and the timing of it can skew to the point that they can see players become frustrated and plan to leave. Just like Jbo refused to sign with Florida and went to UFA, just like Kovie did the same with Atlanta. Players want to win and if the Oilers can not man up with a competitive team next year they could slide right off the rebuild road and flip the car like the Islanders and Thrashers, serving not as a model but a warning for teams in trouble.

Maybe it will quiet down all these knee-jerk posters who say blow it up as the memory of the Pens and Hawks fade and people start to focus on the more recent strong teams that slowly built it up like Boston, Vancouver, NYR and Philly…

I agree the next stage is a very important step. It's when the team is planning to have "lift off".

Don't sweat it. The other teams (including Columbus) are still trying to win. The Oilers have that coveted 1st overall well within reach.

Not sweatin it at all. The Oilers are getting a lot of players from injury so I'd be surprised if they don't move up the standings.

Conversely, the Flames just lost Glencross who's a key forward on the Flames' special teams. But Feaster's goal is to compete, not to necessarily make the playoffs so I wouldn't sweat it if I was you either.

Not sweatin it at all. The Oilers are getting a lot of players from injury so I'd be surprised if they don't move up the standings.

Conversely, the Flames just lost Glencross who's a key forward on the Flames' special teams. But Feaster's goal is to compete, not to necessarily make the playoffs so I wouldn't sweat it if I was you either.

?????

I think you said it all....."Feasters' goal is to compete".

The difference being is that if the Flames live up to their level of compete, they will make the playoffs. The Oilers were eliminated long ago.

I will say I am impressed with an Oiler fan with a desire to win. Too bad the managements' goal is to "tank it".

END OF STORY!

The Oilers need a rebuild at the management level.

They have been rebuilding at the player level for 20 years now...each year more up and coming than the last.

The problem with finishing last repeatedly, is that it's rarely due to lack of player talent alone.

The Oilers may be the most talented team in the NHL right now, but the same mismanagement occurs today that has always occured with this team. Soon, they will have another mass exodus of players. Trade requests...inability to sign UFAs....

But, on the bright side, they'll get a bunch of new talent this year to repeat the cycle.

Ummmm NO! The Oilers are doing just fine in their rebuild and with all the injuries they have had this season, getting a top 5 pick is just a bonus. The Oilers are amassing youth and talant which alot of us will agree is not a bad thing. A trade here or a great rookie can put your team in the playoffs. So...The Pens and Hawks YOU think will fade away into ablivion? WOW! But a bigger WOW was your comment on resent teams that have built it up more slowley like Boston,Van, NYR and Philly. You need to have a look at the roster turn over in the last 2 seasons of the 4 teams that you mentioned to see that you CAN turn it around very quickley...Boston being the poster child of just what you can do in a couple of seasons with great trades and a youth injection. Now, I'm no physiologist but after reading your post...Perhaps it's the FLAMES most important deadline/off season... ^_^

Ummmm NO! The Oilers are doing just fine in their rebuild and with all the injuries they have had this season, getting a top 5 pick is just a bonus. The Oilers are amassing youth and talant which alot of us will agree is not a bad thing. A trade here or a great rookie can put your team in the playoffs. So...The Pens and Hawks YOU think will fade away into ablivion? WOW! But a bigger WOW was your comment on resent teams that have built it up more slowley like Boston,Van, NYR and Philly. You need to have a look at the roster turn over in the last 2 seasons of the 4 teams that you mentioned to see that you CAN turn it around very quickley...Boston being the poster child of just what you can do in a couple of seasons with great trades and a youth injection. Now, I'm no physiologist but after reading your post...Perhaps it's the FLAMES most important deadline/off season... ^_^

lol

after reading your post I laughed :D

"talent" "oblivion" "recent" "slowly" "quickly"

physlprime.gifi·olprime.gifo·gist n. 1. A biologist whom studies the functions of living organisms and their parts.

lmao

There has been a massive infatuation on the internet with quick pop happy rebuild posters crying for burn it to the ground and rebuild it all through the draft. I am a little tired of it. If you review history the strategy has not born fruit in several cases and is high risk. The logic is simplistic to the extreme and other examples of the rebuilding teams when you unpack the details show luck in late picks.

The Hawks for example already had Keith and Seabrook drafted before they hit the basement for their high picks with Kane and Toews. They also had completely lucked out in hitting late round gold with Buff.

The Pens rebuild to me is really skewed with a generational player like Crosby. That is their Cup right there. They would have been good of course with Malkin and Fleury but would they have been a Cup team? Not without their crafty trades and expensive Gonchar signing.

How about the Capitals much vaunted rebuild and the D.C. Red Army team, boy they have sure done a lot in the playoffs, team hasn't even made it to a Conference final, never mind a Cup final.

The Kings rebuild looks touch and go as well. Now they are a very young team that is far too early to call success or fail on but again until we see them at the very least get to Conference Final I'd hold the success moniker.

The Red Wings have constantly shown that you can have a Cup Contender with astute moves and internal development. The Cancuks are an example of a team that since the Sedin draft has slowly built itself stronger and stronger. The Bruins never went to the basement. The Flyers had one basement year in the last decade and have constantly fought to be a playoff team ever since.

For the Flames everyone knows D Sutter really hurt this team in his last two years, he set it back tremendously. Imagine the Flames today with Neuf. Imagine them with Prust on the 4th line and no Ranger trade. Imagine them with Erixon signed, now they may not have been able to do anything about that but still. The team is recovering and fighting to get back into the playoffs.

The whole NHL is having a blast watch the Oilers stack up high round, highly touted young players. Time will tell on them if they can actually make the moves required now to balance their team and become competitive. The same hope and dreams surrounded other teams like the Thrashers and Panthers, we know it can go sour.

Play to win, playing to lose is a paradox. If the Oilers want to lose for another decade to stack up a team the time line will not fit to keeping them all and the rebuild will turn into a train wreck.

Ah the Scorched Earth Oilers rebuild. What a wonderful vision of an easy street rebuild. Just bottom out and draft a couple of Sidney Crosby wannabe's and we are set...right?? Have you started planning the parade route yet?

Yes sir the best laid plans guaranteed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Just need a tad more time to see it finalized:

Like this....

The collision warning system on the S60 is supposed to detect an impending impacts and then autonomously apply the brakes to bring the vehicle to a halt, like this.

?????

I think you said it all....."Feasters' goal is to compete".

The difference being is that if the Flames live up to their level of compete, they will make the playoffs. The Oilers were eliminated long ago.

I will say I am impressed with an Oiler fan with a desire to win. Too bad the managements' goal is to "tank it".

END OF STORY!

I can honestly tell you that this year, the plan was to not be a lottery team. They didn't really care the seasons before but this year Tambelinni seemed genuinely disappointed.

The Oilers need a rebuild at the management level.

They have been rebuilding at the player level for 20 years now...each year more up and coming than the last.

The problem with finishing last repeatedly, is that it's rarely due to lack of player talent alone.

The Oilers may be the most talented team in the NHL right now, but the same mismanagement occurs today that has always occured with this team. Soon, they will have another mass exodus of players. Trade requests...inability to sign UFAs....

But, on the bright side, they'll get a bunch of new talent this year to repeat the cycle.

How have the Oilers been rebuilding for 20 years? If you believe that then the Flames have been rebuilding for that long too.

The Flames will have just as hard if not a harder time signing UFAs but the Flames can overpay for UFAs this off season and just miss the playoffs again next year.

I can honestly tell you that this year, the plan was to not be a lottery team. They didn't really care the seasons before but this year Tambelinni seemed genuinely disappointed.

in which case "Tambelinni" should be GENUINELY FIRED!! Pretty simple.....as far as Renney goes, well, he is just PLAIN AWFUL! Serious. MacTavish was better than him and he was a disgrace. Definitely need some changes in the management and coaching staff. Just my opinion.

Archived