Louis23

So what you are saying is that Tambellini is too busy with trying to help the advancement of his son to make a difference with the upgrade for the oilers?

Well... That took a lot of years so far...

What Im saying is Tambi was a 1st round pick{15th overall} of the Islanders.He won a Stanley Cup playing with players like Bossey and Trottier.He knows what it takes to win.He was inducted into the BC Hockey of Fame years ago.Lets hear about Feasters playing days.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tambi is actually known for being Director of Player personal for the 2002 Olympic team in Salt Lake City.Quite an honor.Lowe was the assistant executive director..They broke a 50year hockey drought for Canada by winning the Gold Medal.The whole country went nuts.Iggy was a huge part of that team.Remember him teaming up with Sakic for the game clentching goal in the Gold Medal game against the states.Tambi knows his hockey, played in the NHL and then groomed his son for his pro career.

You do realize that team was full of hall of fame players right? But I guess if you want you can give the credit to Lowe and Tamb.. :lol:

As for a respected GM, I highly doubt that. Just last year Dean Lombardi blasted Tambi saying I quote “The bottom line for me, I would have rather invested my money with Bernie Madoff than invest in Edmonton’s word,”

You do realize that team was full of hall of fame players right? But I guess if you want you can give the credit to Lowe and Tamb.. :lol:

As for a respected GM, I highly doubt that. Just last year Dean Lombardi blasted Tambi saying I quote “The bottom line for me, I would have rather invested my money with Bernie Madoff than invest in Edmonton’s word,”

You know he went on every sports radio station in Edmonton and applogized for anything he said against the Oilers a month before the trade deadline. It worked out well for him in the long run anyways so I don't know why he's be complaining.

You mean Lombardi,the GM thats hoisting the Stanley Cup this year with Penner and Fraser playing a big part of.Hows the foot in the mouth taste Dean.? All those guys in the Hall of Fame,must of been a heck of a Director of Player Personal to reconize that talent.That was 12 years ago.

What Im saying is Tambi was a 1st round pick{15th overall} of the Islanders.He won a Stanley Cup playing with players like Bossey and Trottier.He knows what it takes to win.He was inducted into the BC Hockey of Fame years ago.Lets hear about Feasters playing days.

So your saying unless your a 1st round pick and won the Cup you're not a good GM?

well let me give you some food for thought.

Jay Feaster - 0 Nhl games played - Stanley Cup as GM

Stan Bowman - 0 Nhl games played - Stanley Cup as GM

Dean Lombardi - 0 Nhl games played - Stanley Cup as a GM

Ray Shero - 0 Nhl games played - Stanley Cup as a GM

Noticing a pattern yet?

Kevin Lowe - 1254 Nhl games played - 0 Stanley cups as a GM/ President

Steve Tambalini - 553 Nhl games played - 0 Stanley cups as a GM

I think you should sober up and lay off the Kool aid buddy!

Bryzgalov's agent was on the radio a few months ago and said that Dubnyk was top 10 in the legue for scoring chances saved.

This was the highlight.

Man, listen to what you're saying. This is your source that your GOALTENDING is fine??

Krueger pairs Hemsky and Gagner would be almost magical in how watermeloned up Edmonton is.

Call it the tradebait line??

Yakupov at RW, imagine that.

D is weak with a giant question mark, yet you convince yourself that it's pretty darn good.

Petry is your #2 like Brodie is ours, oh wait, ours is Wideman.

You mean Lombardi,the GM thats hoisting the Stanley Cup this year with Penner and Fraser playing a big part of.Hows the foot in the mouth taste Dean.? All those guys in the Hall of Fame,must of been a heck of a Director of Player Personal to reconize that talent.That was 12 years ago.

Still doesn't take away from the fact he thinks the Edmonton brass is a bunch of Clown A$$es!

Yes because it wasn't obvious back then that they were elite talent to everyone else :rolleyes:

Still doesn't take away from the fact he thinks the Edmonton brass is a bunch of Clown A$$es!

Yes because it wasn't obvious back then that they were elite talent to everyone else :rolleyes:

Fair enough..it was a heck of a team.But a side twist to the Olympic story is Tambis dad was a member of the Trail Smoke Eaters .The last canadian team to win gold.Theres some hockey history in that family.As far as Lombardi goes..Colten Tuebert.{top ten 1st rounder}Oscar Klefbom{19th overall Swede Dman,1st team allstar leading the Swedes to win the WJC}and Zharkov{2nd rounder because of the Russian factor,many guys think he was the steal of the draft}.That was for the Penner/Fraser deal.Everybody wins.

You mean Lombardi,the GM thats hoisting the Stanley Cup this year with Penner and Fraser playing a big part of.Hows the foot in the mouth taste Dean.?

Ummm, "Dean" hoisted the cup. Tambellini, who didn't think that Fraser or Stoll could help the 30th place Oilers, did not. Exactly why would you suggest that Lombardi should be the one to have his foot in his mouth?

All those guys in the Hall of Fame,must of been a heck of a Director of Player Personal to reconize that talent.That was 12 years ago.

Are you actually trying to credit Tambellini with Canada's gold medal in 2002?

Tambi is actually known for being Director of Player personal for the 2002 Olympic team in Salt Lake City.Quite an honor.Lowe was the assistant executive director..They broke a 50year hockey drought for Canada by winning the Gold Medal.The whole country went nuts.Iggy was a huge part of that team.Remember him teaming up with Sakic for the game clentching goal in the Gold Medal game against the states.Tambi knows his hockey, played in the NHL and then groomed his son for his pro career.

NHL players only started playing in the Olympics in 1998. Until then we used amateurs & later retired pros & minor league pros vs the "amateurs" of the Red Army & Euro leagues.

In 1998 we finished 4th.

That's hardly a 50 year drought.

Like everyone after him Tambi had the job of picking a team that worked well from the cream of Canada's talent. That's harder then it sounds as just picking the best players doesn't guarantee they'll mesh. I give him a lot of credit for that.

It's a shame he's now KLowe's mouthpiece & GM in name only.

Ummm, "Dean" hoisted the cup. Tambellini, who didn't think that Fraser or Stoll could help the 30th place Oilers, did not. Exactly why would you suggest that Lombardi should be the one to have his foot in his mouth?

Are you actually trying to credit Tambellini with Canada's gold medal in 2002?

I wonder if he keeps his Olympic Gold Medal the same place he keeps his WHC gold medal he won as the GM for Canadas team in 2003.And his silver medal as the GM for the 2005 WHC.Throw in that Stanley Cup ring and thats alot of hardware.

NHL players only started playing in the Olympics in 1998. Until then we used amateurs & later retired pros & minor league pros vs the "amateurs" of the Red Army & Euro leagues.

In 1998 we finished 4th.

That's hardly a 50 year drought.

Like everyone after him Tambi had the job of picking a team that worked well from the cream of Canada's talent. That's harder then it sounds as just picking the best players doesn't guarantee they'll mesh. I give him a lot of credit for that.

It's a shame he's now KLowe's mouthpiece & GM in name only.

98 Olympics.Crawford sitting out Gretz and Yzerman in the shootout.@#$%^&.Crawford will always be known as the Olympic dunse after that.

Ok boys,its been fun.Look,,Ive never hated the Flames and still dont.But this team of upper management its going to be easy for me to cheer against.I hope King and Company are on a short leash so they cant damage the teams future.,..let me be the 1st to say it..CONROY for PRESIDENT..At least GM !!Likeable guy thats earned his strips in the hockey world.Good night guys....

This was the highlight.

Man, listen to what you're saying. This is your source that your GOALTENDING is fine??

Krueger pairs Hemsky and Gagner would be almost magical in how watermeloned up Edmonton is.

Call it the tradebait line??

Yakupov at RW, imagine that.

D is weak with a giant question mark, yet you convince yourself that it's pretty darn good.

Petry is your #2 like Brodie is ours, oh wait, ours is Wideman.

The goaltending for the most part was not the reason the Oilers were a lottery team last season.

I said Yakupov at leftwing.

I think the Oilers need to add a 4-5 dman to make the defence decent enough to have a shot at the playoffs.

Petry is far greater than Brodie was last season. Petry paired with Smid played the opponents best lines. Brodie played the most protected defensive minutes on the Flames. Even Widemen played against easier opponents than Petry and had only a slighly better corsi.

It won't take long for Flames fans to start complaining about Wideman's lack of defensive play.

But this team of upper management its going to be easy for me to cheer against.I hope King and Company are on a short leash so they cant damage the teams future.,..

So a team that values winning and effort above all else is worse off than a team whose management dropped them in a ditch? Right. And even if you say that was the previous management team, well, nothing changed between the management then and the management now beyond a nameplate.

1st overall picks were meant to level the playing field and make sure the biggest teams didn't always get the best players. Now it's used as a badge of honor to brag about how good your team will look in 5 years.

Feaster's done a lot with what he had to work with. In just 1 and a half years as the top dog he's injected some life into the prospect pool, revamped the scouting department, made the team faster and more skilled and injected some youth into the NHL squad, all while finishing 10th and 9th over his two seasons with the team. If we ran Edmonton's management routine, he'd have dropped the team into a gutter as well and took the easy way out.

It's one thing to rebuild by sucking so badly that you get the best prospects every year, quite another to try and rebuild piece by piece without losing your dignity.

It won't take long for Flames fans to start complaining about Wideman's lack of defensive play.

That's probably true because we as fans are going to nitpick over every fault, but fact is we didn't bring him in to be a defensive stalwart. Is that so hard to understand? I'd be happy with "passable" as long as he continues to put up points. A team that signs Ales Hemsky sure as heck isn't bringing him on for his defensive acumen, same theoretical situation.

--------------------------------------

This thread is a perfect example of two different forms of mild propoganda. Flames management believes in being competitive almost absurdly to a fault whereas Oilers management convinced their fan base that being the worst is the best.

I'd be the first to say that we as Flames fans are jealous of RNH, Hall, Eberle etc. But we sure as heck aren't jealous of your perennial table in the first row of the NHL draft. Oilers fans would gladly go for middling at this point but they don't want mediocre picks in the teens.

That's probably true because we as fans are going to nitpick over every fault, but fact is we didn't bring him in to be a defensive stalwart. Is that so hard to understand? I'd be happy with "passable" as long as he continues to put up points. A team that signs Ales Hemsky sure as heck isn't bringing him on for his defensive acumen, same theoretical situation.

--------------------------------------

This thread is a perfect example of two different forms of mild propoganda. Flames management believes in being competitive almost absurdly to a fault whereas Oilers management convinced their fan base that being the worst is the best.

I'd be the first to say that we as Flames fans are jealous of RNH, Hall, Eberle etc. But we sure as heck aren't jealous of your perennial table in the first row of the NHL draft. Oilers fans would gladly go for middling at this point but they don't want mediocre picks in the teens.

To be fair, Hemsky is a forward and Wideman is a defenceman.

I agree that the Oilers as a company have done a wonderful job of getting the fanbase to buy in the idea of a rebuild. Honestly though, when the Oilers were sneaking into 8th or finishing 9th, 10th I never felt they had a chance at the cup. Now even at the bottom of the standings, I feel the Oilers have the horses to eventually challenge for Lord Stanley.

For me, if the Oilers don't make the playoffs I will be disappointed in the season. If they are a lottery team it would be a disaster.

For me, if the Oilers don't make the playoffs I will be disappointed in the season. If they are a lottery team it would be a disaster.

I still don't understand how you expect the Oilers to jump from 14th to at least 8th based solely on internal development.

It's the same ol story again this offseason... Oilers did NOT (whether by choice, or inability to do so) add any significant UFA signings to supplement the kids.

You can not in the recent history of the NHL show any team that has done such a leap based on just the development of youth.

The future of the Oilers organization and whether they'll become real contenders will depend on the supporting cast Lowe/Tabellini can put around the stars... so far... well.. i don't see playoffs this yr with a roster where the best players are 22 yrs and under.

They do still have their prize pick up from last yr's FA frenzy tho... Belanger.

It sounds like i'm taking shots... -and i probably did there a little-.. but there are the facts...

It's looking to me like if there continues to be a roadblock to attract FA's before the winning starts, the best route for the Oilers to continue the build and supplement will be thru trades.

Brings it back to a question i posed a long time ago in this thread... Do you have faith Tambellini and Lowe are competent to be the men behind the rebuild of the Oilers?

I still don't understand how you expect the Oilers to jump from 14th to at least 8th based solely on internal development.

It's the same ol story again this offseason... Oilers did NOT (whether by choice, or inability to do so) add any significant UFA signings to supplement the kids.

You can not in the recent history of the NHL show any team that has done such a leap based on just the development of youth.

The future of the Oilers organization and whether they'll become real contenders will depend on the supporting cast Lowe/Tabellini can put around the stars... so far... well.. i don't see playoffs this yr with a roster where the best players are 22 yrs and under.

They do still have their prize pick up from last yr's FA frenzy tho... Belanger.

It sounds like i'm taking shots... -and i probably did there a little-.. but there are the facts...

It's looking to me like if there continues to be a roadblock to attract FA's before the winning starts, the best route for the Oilers to continue the build and supplement will be thru trades.

Brings it back to a question i posed a long time ago in this thread... Do you have faith Tambellini and Lowe are competent to be the men behind the rebuild of the Oilers?

Pittsburgh didn't add a big piece but made a big jump from 2005-06 to 2006-07.

Washington didn't add a big piece but made a big jump from 2006-07 to 2007-08.

Chicago didn't add a big piece but made a big jump from 2006-07 to 2007-08.

IMO the Oilers still need a defensive defenceman to upgrade over Peckham to have a shot at the playoffs. It doesn't have to be a big name, maybe somebody like Lydman or D.Murray. This will give the Oilers a shot at the playoffs. When teams are as close as they are, it still comes down to luck between the last few teams and deciding who gets the last spot.

Oilers did add a potential 30 goal scorer and a potential 40 point defenceman.

Yes I am confident the Lowe and Tambellini can complete what they started. Weber's agent was on an Oilers radio station recently. Before Weber signed the offer sheet, Tambellini and Lowe had several discussions with Weber and were seeing if he would sign here according to his agent. If Weber would have signed here, the Oilers would have traded for Weber.

^ In response to a similar post of yours in another thread i posted:

Pit's roster changes from 58 to 105 pts:

IN: Malkin, Staal, Moore, Ekman, Ruutu, Laraque.

Washington's 70 to 94 pt seasons:

In: Backstrom, Kozlov, Nylander, Bradley, Steckel, Cooke, Poti

LA:'s 79 pts to 101:

IN: Smyth, Williams, Parse, Scuderi, Greene, Modin

The 2012-2013 Edmonton Oilers roster additions so far:

IN: Yakapov, Schultz.

Career games : Zero.

All you have to do is eyeball the experience and quality the teams above added.

So far i don't see the Oilers sniffing the playoffs this yr. Depending primarily on the development of the youth is usually a babystep process... not a leaps n bound situation.

No response from you after that post...

I haven't looked at who Chicago added.. But i'm pretty sure it was more significant than 2 rookies.

EDIT: LOL!

71 pts to 88... 17 pt increase...

Chicago added: Toews, Kane, Lang, Sopel, Hendry, Versteeg, Ladd, Bolland

Nice interpretation of no added big pieces..

I haven't looked at who Chicago added.. But i'm pretty sure it was more significant than 2 rookies.

88-104 points they added Campbell, Huet, Ladd (late '08), Versteeg, Hjalmarsson, Brouwer. The next year Hossa, Kopecky, Niemi and Madden and a cup. I'd say significant additions in those 2 years.

EDIT: LOL!

71 pts to 88... 17 pt increase...

Chicago added: Toews, Kane, Lang, Sopel, Hendry, Versteeg, Ladd, Bolland

Nice interpretation of no added big pieces..

Pittsburgh's additions are not unlike Edmonton thus far. Two rookies some depth players and an enforcer.

Washington added Backstrom who was also a rookie and some depth players.

LA did add some signifigance with Smyth and two top 4 shut down defencemen.

Chicago adds two rookies, some depth and some young players who were not impactful that season (Ladd, Versteeg).

You have to not just look at the names but what they actually added to the team that season they made the jump.

Right now, most of these teams added two rookies, Oilers got that covered.

Pittsburgh's additions are not unlike Edmonton thus far. Two rookies some depth players and an enforcer.

Chicago adds two rookies, some depth and some young players who were not impactful that season (Ladd, Versteeg).

You have to not just look at the names but what they actually added to the team that season they made the jump.

-Unless Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz put up 88 and 49 points, respectively, I don't see how the Oilers are going to make as big a jump. Let's face it, guys like Malkin who come in and are superstars are few and far between.

-Nylander and Kozlov were far from depth players; at the time Nylander was a PPG player, and Kozlov was a top 6 winger. Tom Poti was also a pretty good puckmover even if he wasn't a star player.

-Lang was a top 6 center. Sopel was an experienced veteran defensive defender with great shotblocking abilities.

So far, besides Schultz and Yakupov, the Oilers have added....Dane Byers. I don't know about you but that move doesn't exactly look like a Robert Lang, Michael Nylander or even a Brent Sopel.

The Oilers could luck out and have Yakupov be the next great Russian forward, score PPG and immediately turn the team around, but even previous "generational" talents like John Tavares haven't done that, so I'd say the odds are stacked against that kind of explosion. MOST, not all, of the teams added a couple of impact veterans to go along with their young guns.

Notice the common word you used that's lacking from the Oiler additions here? Depth.

I'll add an adjective as well... "Quality" depth. That's the key part of a competitive team's equation the Oilers don't have covered...

And that's what the Oilers will be hard pressed to attract until they start winning.

Notice the common word you used that's lacking from the Oiler additions here? Depth.

I'll add an adjective as well... "Quality" depth. That's the key part of a competitive team's equation the Oilers don't have covered...

And that's what the Oilers will be hard pressed to attract until they start winning.

Actually, the Oilers now IMO have decent depth.

Projected Lines:

Hall-Gagner-Hemsky

Yakupov-RNH-Eberle

Smyth-Horcoff-Jones

Eager-Belanger-Petrell

EXTRA:Hordichuk

Smid-Petry

Whitney-J.Schultz

Sutton-N.Schultz

EXTRA:Peckham-Potter

The thing is last season, Horcoff was a 2nd liner and Belanger was a 3rd liner. The Oilers played Barker, Lander, Paajarvi too long when they weren't ready for the NHL. Now Paajarvi and Lander will likely start in the minors and be first call up alng with Hartikainen.

There are some definite weaknesses. If the Oilers do not replace Peckham with a defensive top 4 defenceman, my hopes for playoffs will take a hit. Belanger should be a decent enough 4th line centre but Eager and Petrell could be upgraded which they won't be. Jones is a tweener player who doesn't have enough offence or a power game to be a perma top 6 forward but he isn't great defensively so he isn't the best checking forward.

With the Oilers having decent forward callups from the AHL and carrying 8 defencemen instead of 7, they sould have enough depth to deal with injuries. This is far from the perfect lineup but if Krueger can hit the right notes, they should be competitive, especially if they can add another top 4 defenceman.

Archived