Louis23

That "me first" attitude is going to be interesting in that dressing room.

Can't you just see him talking to Eberle & Hall when they get closer to RFA status next July 1 & are mulling over what the Oilers offer & he pipes up with "Wait until July 1 guys, you're both good enough to attract offer sheets. Find out how much other teams want you. If the Oilers offered less but match you'll know they tried low balling you.". (Edmonton retains the players but distrust grows.)

The next year it's "Ryan, I'll wait for an offer sheet before I sign. You gotta get it while you can."

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Either that or he thought their defense was bad enough that he could get significant playing time. Maybe he just wants to make an immediate impact on a bad squad and proceed to get out of dodge with a massive contract early in his career. Money makes the world go round and all that.

But honestly you give a "meh" reaction if he got seriously injured which makes me skeptical as to his success in the NHL. If his own fans don't really care whether he gets hurt or not....well, I guess you guys wouldn't mind Getzlaf and Perry taking their shots at him in the corners then.

- There are several other teams with bad defence that he didn't choose (Calgary).

- What can you do? Hockey players get injured all of the time. Can't control it, it's part of the game.

Can't you just see him talking to Eberle & Hall when they get closer to RFA status next July 1 & are mulling over what the Oilers offer & he pipes up with "Wait until July 1 guys, you're both good enough to attract offer sheets. Find out how much other teams want you. If the Oilers offered less but match you'll know they tried low balling you.". (Edmonton retains the players but distrust grows.)

The next year it's "Ryan, I'll wait for an offer sheet before I sign. You gotta get it while you can."

You are miserable.

You are severly getting ahead of yourself and then projecting the players to want to maximize their free agency staus. It could just as easily flip the other way and they all take less than market to keep the team together.

- There are several other teams with bad defence that he didn't choose (Calgary).

- What can you do? Hockey players get injured all of the time. Can't control it, it's part of the game.

Again Conner you open your mouth and put your foot in it.

Calgary was 14th in the league for Goals allowed/game ahead of such teams as Dallas Chicago Pittsburg and Buffalo Philly and yes far ahead of the Oilers who were 23rd in the league. How is anyone going to take your GMing seriously if you don't bother to check facts before you open your mouth??

Funny thing is your Oilers were slightly better in shots allowed per game. That shows me the Oilers are brutal on D and in goal so the addition of Schultz isn't likely to help very much.

Got to give you a fail for your think ahead on this Conner

logicfail1.gif

Again Conner you open your mouth and put your foot in it.

Calgary was 14th in the league for Goals allowed/game ahead of such teams as Dallas Chicago Pittsburg and Buffalo Philly and yes far ahead of the Oilers who were 23rd in the league. How is anyone going to take your GMing seriously if you don't bother to check facts before you open your mouth??

Funny thing is your Oilers were slightly better in shots allowed per game. That shows me the Oilers are brutal on D and in goal so the addition of Schultz isn't likely to help very much.

Got to give you a fail for your think ahead on this Conner

And Kiprusoff didn't make that much of a difference.

If Schultz was on the Flames he would be their best offensive defenceman, same as the Oilers.

And Kiprusoff didn't make that much of a difference.

If Schultz was on the Flames he would be their best offensive defenceman, same as the Oilers.

The guy hasn't played 1 minute in the NHL and he wouldn't get top 4 mins on our team.

I'd be hard pressed to place him up with Brodie here.

Then again after looking at your D in Oilerland I can see why you already have him slotted in top 4 pairings.

what "me first" attitude though?

He had a a chance to choose his frst place to sign, rare in pro sports. he too it. But he never gave a single interview, he never made public demands, he never badmouthed the Ducks, even though they did so to him.

His college coach, former Flame Mike Eaves had this to say about him...

“Great kid,’’ the long-ago Calgary Flames’ centreman is praising from the head-coaching office at the University of Wisconsin, in Madison, Badger Town. “Justin Schultz is just a terrific, terrific kid.

“Quiet. Soft spoken. Heck, sometimes you don’t even know he’s in the room. He’ll engage with you, he has his own opinions, but this is not a guy that’s going to start a conversation out of the blue.

“Not a big talker. But quite a player.

“I read somewhere that people are questioning his character. Well, I can say with some authority that this is a young man who says if he’s going to be somewhere, he’s there on time; who says if he’s going to get something done for you, he does.

“Character? He’s got lots and lots of it. There are no airs about him.’’

All the circus falls directly in the media's lap, because it was a slow news period and they blew it up. The kid was quiet and professional.

The guy hasn't played 1 minute in the NHL and he wouldn't get top 4 mins on our team.

I'd be hard pressed to place him up with Brodie here.

Then again after looking at your D in Oilerland I can see why you already have him slotted in top 4 pairings.

Whatever man. Oilers acquired the most sought after free agent that the Flames and 24 other teams were after. Flames weren't deemed promising enough to even make the short list.

Whatever man. Oilers acquired the most sought after free agent that the Flames and 24 other teams were after. Flames weren't deemed promising enough to even make the short list.

Another epic fail:

6.gif

UM no he wasn't the most sought after FA. Suter & Parise will be the most sought after. Huge difference.

but please keep them coming Conner got some big laughs going on with your future GM thinking tonight.

He had a a chance to choose his frst place to sign, rare in pro sports. he too it. But he never gave a single interview, he never made public demands, he never badmouthed the Ducks, even though they did so to him.

All the circus falls directly in the media's lap, because it was a slow news period and they blew it up. The kid was quiet and professional.

Yes, the media made the most of this "event". What make it unusual is the how fortunate he was to drop out of University, have 30 days to sign with his drafting team, and then have the choice of 29 other teams to sign with.

I guess we will never know his true motivation for signing with the Oilers. If he plays in a top 4 role this season, then that might be the big reason.

We Flames fans remember a drafted player that wanted to be guaranteed a roster spot, then bolted for another team after he couldn't make a deal. I guess I see the similarities in that respect. Maybe his agent advised him to do this, and he could write his own ticket.

UM no he wasn't the most sought after FA. Suter & Parise will be the most sought after. Huge difference.

but please keep them coming Conner got some big laughs going on with your future GM thinking tonight.

26 teams were in on Schultz. You actually think more than 26 teams want to sign Parise and Suter? The difference is Schultz had an entry level deal and is only 21. Every team would have room for Schultz. You're begrudging the Oilers.

He hasn't said much publicly, but there are things starting to come out.

For example, there is a story that Scott Neidermeyer called him and he wouldn't take the call.

What 21 year old punk who hasn't played a game in the NHL snubs SN? Very disrespectful.

No I don't have a link but you should have no trouble digging it up

His first tour through the league is going to be a very bumpy one. The Ducks will certainly be looking forward to it.

We Flames fans remember a drafted player that wanted to be guaranteed a roster spot, then bolted for another team after he couldn't make a deal. I guess I see the similarities in that respect. Maybe his agent advised him to do this, and he could write his own ticket.

The Oilers lost Riley Nash the same way. He will likely have nothing more than a marginal career, but he chose not to sign also.

I just don't like the way people are vilifying the kid, when he is making what is most likely the most important decision of his career. No one knows why he left Anaheim, and he hasn't spoken out of school. No one actually has anything on record that he ever asked for guaranteed ice time,even the Ducks haven't made that claim. It has all come from the talking heads and their guesses. Given the Ryan situation wonder if there isn't a management or coaching issue there, but that's also a baseless musing.

For example, there is a story that Scott Neidermeyer called him and he wouldn't take the call.

and the story I heard is that Neidermeyer talked to him several times but it didn't change his mind.

Are you taking these rumors as fact? The twitterverse is full of vitriol and unfounded garbage perpetuated by bitter fans.

Are you taking these rumors as fact? The twitterverse is full of vitriol and unfounded garbage perpetuated by bitter fans.

That is so true. & the sad thing is the supposedly mainstream are afraid to be scooped on a happening event & parrot that rumor.

I try to take all that with a large dose of salt.

On the Schultz story I tried to base my opinion on the know facts (the loophole, refusing to sign with the Ducks & the fact he was interviewing teams). The fact he did that rather then simply re-entering the draft (giving Anaheim a compensatory pick) tends to give it the entitlement slant.

I just don't like the way people are vilifying the kid, when he is making what is most likely the most important decision of his career. No one knows why he left Anaheim, and he hasn't spoken out of school.

The fact that he only talked to at most seven teams should be a good indication he wanted to define his own terms. How many drafted kids get that chance? We'll probably never know the reason he shafted Anaheim. It all seems too convenient that he gets to be a UFA though a loophole in the CBA.

and the story I heard is that Neidermeyer talked to him several times but it didn't change his mind.

Are you?

It is not! /s

Are you?

No, and my point is there are conflicting stories, and none of them seem in anyway reliable, yet YOU chose to present one that fit your anti-oiler agenda like it was fact.

It all seems too convenient that he gets to be a UFA though a loophole in the CBA.

It's not a 'loophole' it is a negotiated tenet of the CBA. This possibility was foreseen and agreed to by both sides. this isn't something that no one expected, and there aren't rules to deal with it. this is something both sides discussed and hammered out an agreement on.

They had an audio interview with Schultz on TSN today. He said he never wanted any of the media coverage and never asked any team for a guaranteed roster spot. Sounded quite genuine to me, definitely not like an entitled diva, but a guy just trying to make the best choice available to him and move on with his career.

On the other hand, I can certainly sympathize with the Ducks getting screwed over (even though I'm not a fan).

I think if anything is to blame here, it's the rules/loopholes that allow this scenario to happen. Can't blame every team for going after a player they think will make their club better, and can't blame the player for choosing the best option available to him.

While I don't want to get into the argument over how or why Schulz chose the Oilers, I would like to say as an Oiler fan that I am happy to have him. The thing about this acquisition from an Oiler fans perspective is that this is a highly touted player that WANTED to come to Edmonton. He wasn't drafted by them, he wasn't traded to them, he chose them. We haven't seen that since Souray, and that signing cannot really be boasted about because the Oilers offered him a ton of money, and really he wanted out just as fast as he wanted in. That's the thing about this acquisition that is so exciting to Oiler fans, the fact that for the first time in a very very long time there is a player that wants in rather than one that wants out.

Justin Schultz is still a prospect.Although its definetly like getting another top ten pick.Hes a quiet kid like RNH and Eberle,exactly what the Oilers want on their team.They have a glutten of highend monster 6ft 4 and bigger Dmen in the system already and now theyve added some serious offence potential in JS.They lost 11 one goal games last year and blew the lead after two periods an incredible 18 times.Growing pains are a !@#$%.So they are not far away from competing for all the marbles.But saying that,if they would of won a few more of those games then they wouldnt of got to pick Yakupov.Anyway,it feels like a June Xmas in Oiler Country this week.,badmouthing the Oilers these days is a waste of time because Oiler fans really dont care what naysayers have to say.They are just trucking around with smiles on their faces.

26 teams were in on Schultz. You actually think more than 26 teams want to sign Parise and Suter? The difference is Schultz had an entry level deal and is only 21. Every team would have room for Schultz. You're begrudging the Oilers.

I would think that all 30 teams would like both Parise and Suter on their team. If a team wouldn't it would be their lack of ability to make a genuine and competitive offer for various reasons. Maybe not NYR on Parise because he stated up front he had no desire to play there.

Just after I posted the no he isn't the most sought after FA, BMac was on TSN and happened to list the top 10 FA's Schultz wasn't on the list even though Bob was talking about the circus surrounding his signing.

I don't begrudge the Oilers anything, I just don't think Schultz is all that. He may be a top 4 for you guys but he isn't here or on most other teams.

AS for the Erixon comparison there are some similarities. Erixon wanted a team that would ensure he got NHL playing time too and chose to hold out for NYR, stating he wouldn't get the time in the Flames lineup. He pretty much spent all of last year in the AHL anyway and would have gotten lots of icetime here with all our injuries and callups on D.

As for you guys good luck, but if he makes your top 4 right off, you should consider how bad your D is instead of this rose colored glasses garbage Conner is spewing.

Congrats Oilers on signing perhaps the 3rd most coveted UFA on the market.

When was the last time they won the rights to a highly touted FA?? Usually the good players are forced to be there because of trade or the draft... It MUST be the end of the world this yr.

Anyways... Schultz should be a good addition.. altho now that we've missed out on the kid, i totally expect that he will amount to not much and be a fringe NHLer obviously and will totally disappoint ;)

hilarious how predictable the reaction is, eh.

Its been a great couple weeks to be an Oiler fan i see... The rest of it not so much... but the draft and this signing - great.

Well... as has been stated once or twice before if i recall, the future in the Edm has some potential... now we'll see competent management can be going forward to fill with the other players that actually have to choose to go there...

I would think that all 30 teams would like both Parise and Suter on their team. If a team wouldn't it would be their lack of ability to make a genuine and competitive offer for various reasons. Maybe not NYR on Parise because he stated up front he had no desire to play there.

Just after I posted the no he isn't the most sought after FA, BMac was on TSN and happened to list the top 10 FA's Schultz wasn't on the list even though Bob was talking about the circus surrounding his signing.

I don't begrudge the Oilers anything, I just don't think Schultz is all that. He may be a top 4 for you guys but he isn't here or on most other teams.

AS for the Erixon comparison there are some similarities. Erixon wanted a team that would ensure he got NHL playing time too and chose to hold out for NYR, stating he wouldn't get the time in the Flames lineup. He pretty much spent all of last year in the AHL anyway and would have gotten lots of icetime here with all our injuries and callups on D.

As for you guys good luck, but if he makes your top 4 right off, you should consider how bad your D is instead of this rose colored glasses garbage Conner is spewing.

What am I "spewing"?

Schultz is a powerplay quarter back. Do you know who was the defenceman playing for the Oilers on the point last season? It was Potter. Potter on a good team would be an extra defenceman. Schultz is likely to play sheltered minutes but he will be a vast improvement on the already lethal Oilers powerplay.

I don't know the Flames powerplay setup but for the Oilers everything went through Nuge. Nuge is a left hand shot playing on the right side half boards on the PP. He needs a right hand shot defenceman for a one timer option. Schultz will likely be a liability for the first year or two 5 on 5. He will be a big factor on the powerplay and should still put up points 5 on 5.

I know if Schultz signed with the Flames, you would likely be singing his praises.

Congrats Oilers on signing perhaps the 3rd most coveted UFA on the market.

When was the last time they won the rights to a highly touted FA?? Usually the good players are forced to be there because of trade or the draft... It MUST be the end of the world this yr.

Anyways... Schultz should be a good addition.. altho now that we've missed out on the kid, i totally expect that he will amount to not much and be a fringe NHLer obviously and will totally disappoint ;)

hilarious how predictable the reaction is, eh.

Its been a great couple weeks to be an Oiler fan i see... The rest of it not so much... but the draft and this signing - great.

Well... as has been stated once or twice before if i recall, the future in the Edm has some potential... now we'll see competent management can be going forward to fill with the other players that actually have to choose to go there...

Thanks man. Us Oiler fans as of late have been living for the off season. Next year there will be expectations on the team. For me, it's playoffs or bust.

I know if Schultz signed with the Flames, you would likely be singing his praises.

Thanks man. Us Oiler fans as of late have been living for the off season. Next year there will be expectations on the team. For me, it's playoffs or bust.

If he signed with Calgary, I would be saying "good prospect, how can we develop him into an NHL quality defense player". I would also have concern for his perceived diva status, and hope that the team has him do a media blitz to put it to rest.

I would also expect him to earn his spot on the team during camp. No free pass.

Archived