Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be mocking him DL, the Oilers are looking like a real possibility for conference next year. A coupla tweaks, fa here and there, you never know.

Dubnyk is really coming into his own.

The nucks'll be thinking "Oilers-style rebuild" at this time next year, don't mark my words.

A real possibility for the conference next year?..A couple of tweeks? FA here or there?

Son, I know most Oiler fans are drunk on getting the lotto pick but the Oilers have had it easy. Easy as in tanking it and drafting high picks! The Oilers have so much work in front of them to put together a team that can compete for a playoff spot it's stupid. Hell, The Flames have a better chance to make the playoffs over the next few years than the Oilers do.

Take it easy man! the Oilers are only 3 years in and it will take another 3 to 5 years before the Oilers will be relevant but at least you have some good players to go to the rink and watch :lol:

A real possibility for the conference next year?..A couple of tweeks? FA here or there?

Son, I know most Oiler fans are drunk on getting the lotto pick but the Oilers have had it easy. Easy as in tanking it and drafting high picks! The Oilers have so much work in front of them to put together a team that can compete for a playoff spot it's stupid. Hell, The Flames have a better chance to make the playoffs over the next few years than the Oilers do.

Take it easy man! the Oilers are only 3 years in and it will take another 3 to 5 years before the Oilers will be relevant but at least you have some good players to go to the rink and watch :lol:

sarcasm-meter-sarcasm-meter-demotivational-poster-1223486438.jpg

:lol: C_worthy, you ain't alone!

I wouldn't be mocking him DL, the Oilers are looking like a real possibility for conference next year. A coupla tweaks, fa here and there, you never know.

Dubnyk is really coming into his own.

The nucks'll be thinking "Oilers-style rebuild" at this time next year, don't mark my words.

You have been dipping into some of Conners green kool-aid now haven't you??

chemicus16.gif

You have been dipping into some of Conners green kool-aid now haven't you??

chemicus16.gif

Don't worry DD, I was just trying to spike that kool-aid!!

Thanks DL, I think I was about to be trampled without the meter repair!

If I could photoshop, I'd take Michelangelo's Adam reaching for god's finger and replace him with Kevin Lowe. :lol:

you should have posted the first one to yourself though.

I know huh... totally!

I totally could have too! i googled sarcasm meter and everything and saw soooo many of them. You know when you go to a candy store, and you want candy, but then you get and there and there are just so many choices and your like, Daaaaaamn?

Well this wasn't really like at all. what were we talking about? oh yeah.. nom nom nom...

No need to trade him now.

Oilers are in rebuild, not competing for SC, the team is still too young.

hall 19, RNH 18, Ebs 21, Gags22 or 23 not sure

Draft Nail, keep him for couple years on top line.

His Value is gonna be a lot Higher than now, than trade him for whatever the team needs.

When was the last time a 1st owerall busted?

They all are superstar players.

His Value is gonna be a lot Higher than now, than trade him for whatever the team needs.

All I can say is I hope Tambi is thinking exactly the same thing

No doubt about it. The Oilers' top 4-5 prospects are impressive and definitely something to be envious of...

It's your management team responsible for building around them that no one envies/trusts/respects and which obviously has the appearance of being a completely incompetent mess.

Good.Luck.With.That.

I think it's becoming sad what is happening in Edmonton. I thought a few years get a coule high picks and then start suplemtnting them would be fine, but now you are willing to wait a few MORE years for these guys to develop and then suplement needs?

As long as Tambi is there singing guys lik eEager, Barker, and Boulin to bad deals you can keep waiting in Edmonton. Drafting at the top of the draft is really the only thing keeping Edmonton relevant and so far they are showing no signs they want to stop doing that.

1993 - Alexander Daigle

1995 - Bryan Berard (serious eye injury - never reached potential)

1996 - Chris Phillips

1999 - Patrik Stefan

2000 - Rick DePietro (injury)

The last decade has been good but the previous decade had several questionable #1's and I personally predict Taylor Hall to have a short career. His style of play is so high risk that he is going to get worn down fast. Injury is always a risk,

Berard is legally blind in one eye from an injury he took, it came happen to any player, any time.

Always a young proven roster player is preferable over the risk of the draft. So many examples of this. 2nd rd picks only bat 25% to even have a NHL career of any decent number of games. Certainly the top 5 picks are the safer ones to bet on a NHL career but they do not always become superstars.

Here is where I feel the catch lies. Right now, the 1st overall pick is a fixed asset, with a value that is pretty much mutually agreed on around the league. Whereas Nail Yakupov as a player can go one of two ways: he can become a superstar and see his value skyrocket, or he could be one of the few busts over the past dozen years and see his value plummet.

It's completely an organizational philosophy issue here: do you trade him, at that guaranteed mid level price right now, or do you wait a few years and hope that he turns out? One is the safer route but holds less value, the other could potentially be incredibly rewarding asset-wise, but at the same time more risk involved with more possibility of receiving less value than the pick itself would have been worth, because there are a lot of teams that value potential just as much as proven assets.

I don't bother with overall trends. That just means it stings a little more should the guy actually bust. Yakupov has an asterisk next to his name, he is far from the safest bet for a first overall pick.

I think it's becoming sad what is happening in Edmonton. I thought a few years get a coule high picks and then start suplemtnting them would be fine, but now you are willing to wait a few MORE years for these guys to develop and then suplement needs?

As long as Tambi is there singing guys lik eEager, Barker, and Boulin to bad deals you can keep waiting in Edmonton. Drafting at the top of the draft is really the only thing keeping Edmonton relevant and so far they are showing no signs they want to stop doing that.

Edmonton will make the playoffs in the 2012-13 season.

1993 - Alexander Daigle

1995 - Bryan Berard (serious eye injury - never reached potential)

1996 - Chris Phillips

1999 - Patrik Stefan

2000 - Rick DePietro (injury)

The last decade has been good but the previous decade had several questionable #1's and I personally predict Taylor Hall to have a short career. His style of play is so high risk that he is going to get worn down fast. Injury is always a risk,

Berard is legally blind in one eye from an injury he took, it came happen to any player, any time.

Always a young proven roster player is preferable over the risk of the draft. So many examples of this. 2nd rd picks only bat 25% to even have a NHL career of any decent number of games. Certainly the top 5 picks are the safer ones to bet on a NHL career but they do not always become superstars.

Having to go back in hisotry to try to dim the light on the Oilers 1st overall pick. Since the 2000 draft, only one forward drafted in the top 3 can be considered a bust, Alexandr Svitov.

Yakupov will be a star player. I'm 90% sure the Oilers will keep the pick.

Quite a bold statement to make before seeing the 'work' Tambellini has yet to do with the D or with the forward depth.

29th... 14th on the west to top 8 in the west in one year?

Good optimism tho.

I'm gonna wait to see the moves they make before predicting... because if i were to predict now... it wouldn't be as positive.

Here is where I feel the catch lies. Right now, the 1st overall pick is a fixed asset, with a value that is pretty much mutually agreed on around the league. Whereas Nail Yakupov as a player can go one of two ways: he can become a superstar and see his value skyrocket, or he could be one of the few busts over the past dozen years and see his value plummet.

It's completely an organizational philosophy issue here: do you trade him, at that guaranteed mid level price right now, or do you wait a few years and hope that he turns out? One is the safer route but holds less value, the other could potentially be incredibly rewarding asset-wise, but at the same time more risk involved with more possibility of receiving less value than the pick itself would have been worth, because there are a lot of teams that value potential just as much as proven assets.

I don't bother with overall trends. That just means it stings a little more should the guy actually bust. Yakupov has an asterisk next to his name, he is far from the safest bet for a first overall pick.

You're stretching. He played two seasons in the OHL putting up great numbers until he got injured. Maybe if he was playing in Russia but he's already proven himself in the playing the North American game.

There is much risk for him being a bust as Stamkos. The risk is him playing in Russia.

Quite a bold statement to make before seeing the 'work' Tambellini has yet to do with the D or with the forward depth.

29th... 14th on the west to top 8 in the west in one year?

Good optimism tho.

I'm gonna wait to see the moves they make before predicting... because if i were to predict now... it wouldn't be as positive.

Seeing how the young Oilers core is evolving, combined with the public pressure for the Oilers to make the playoffs and the asset of the 1st overall pick, I think they will make it.

A more realistic goal would be to be in the mix in March and April but I'm going to be disappointed if they don't make it.

Seeing how the young Oilers core is evolving, combined with the public pressure for the Oilers to make the playoffs and the asset of the 1st overall pick, I think they will make it.

A more realistic goal would be to be in the mix in March and April but I'm going to be disappointed if they don't make it.

Development i get... but public pressure? Non factor.

It comes down to who Tambellini can acquire to supplement the core... bottomline. This is where i feel for strong fans like yourself.... having Lowe and Tambellini in charge of building the team...

ALL signings will have to be above market value considering where the Oilers are coming from.

If the kids are the top tier players on the team... They need to take the Panther route - slightly overpay a number of the mid-tier UFAs and get some decent depth. I'm talking about players larger than their crown jewel signing last yr in Belanger.

A - they gotta target the right players (this is where i feel bad for you guys with Tamby and lowe)

B - they have got to sell those guys on moving to and playing for Edmonton

C - they have got to out bid the competition.

This is why everyone expects the Oilers to build up and make their most significant moves via the trade route.

No they won't, they have no D or G. Saying that at this point is a big mistake. Now they may get D this off-season but you should not say this now…

You also are forgetting that the Conference will realign.

L.A.

Van

Sharks

Phx

Ducks

Avs

Cgy

Edm

Which of the top 4 are you going to displace? Phx - go through those rosters. Look at the Ducks with Hillier and the Perry line. They will be better next year on D. The Avs are rising.

Van, L.A., SJ are locked in.

The realignment does not help the Oilers - the two worst teams in the West - CBJ and the Wild are not even in the new conference.

Archived