Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With Radulov back... And if they can lock up Suter before July 1st... Maybe the Preds would trade Weber + for Nail... That would be a sick trade...

Nashville would be much thinner on the backend... But upfront...

But that would speed up the Oilers progression too fast for my liking.

Weber + for Nail???

I think you mean Nail + for Weber

Nail, Gagner and one of the D prospects (Teubert maybe?) might get it done

But if I were Nashville, I would rather keep Weber. Building your team around Radulov and Yakupov is a big risk.

Weber + for Nail???

But if I were Nashville, I would rather keep Weber. Building your team around Radulov and Yakupov is a big risk.

Lol!

Either you overrate the hell out of a 27 yr old Weber... Or highly underrated the type of talent Nail is projected to be.

Remember, Nail also has 9 yrs on Weber... I.e. Weber may be retired by the time Nail is the age Weber in right now. 2 different eras for these two players.

Either you overrate the hell out of a 27 yr old Weber... Or highly underrated the type of talent Nail is projected to be.

Remember, Nail also has 9 yrs on Weber... I.e. Weber may be retired by the time Nail is the age Weber in right now. 2 different eras for these two players.

The guy's a fricken Norris Trophy candidate...and this was even a bit of a down year for him up until his late-season surge.

I dunno what kind of talent you projected Yakupov to be, but if he becomes a consistent 80-90 point player, that would be pretty good and probably the best you could manage out of him. He's not going to be a defensive liability, but he sure isn't a PKer. Whereas Shea Weber is going to punish opposing players for 30 minutes, each and every game, he shuts down other star players while continually potting 20+ goals and 50+ points.

Nashville's window of opportunity is now. They have this year to win the Cup (if they can sign both Suter and Weber to extensions that would push that expiration date back). They have never had a team that is as deep up front, as deep on the backend, as deep in net, and they still have Barry "Miracle Man" Trotz coaching the team, and you could argue there isn't a better coach in the NHL. Radulov's return gave Nashville that big-time offensively skilled player that people thought would be their downfall.

They'll be hell-bent on resigning Weber. They have a great team that, should they resign both Suter and Weber, should contend for the Stanley Cup for at LEAST 3 to 5 years. Barring that, there will be tons of suitors for two franchise defensemen and I'm willing to bet that if Weber gets on the open market there's going to be a hell of a lot of GMs tripping over each other trying to overpay for a Norris Trophy candidate on the backend of their squads.

Nashville, if it gets to that point, is going to sell Weber to the highest bidder. So if Edmonton wants that big cannon from the point, start ponying up. Collect all that spare change. I'd wager a good bet that if Yakupov is involved in a deal for Weber, it's a Weber for Smid, Yaks, and a 1st, bare minimum. TBH, I'm not even sure if that's enough, because you can bet a team like Philadelphia or a team like Los Angeles is going to do everything they can to raise the price.

Was talking to the other Oiler fans here and one thinks giving up Nail would be tough but D is more needed. Then laughed at Coloumbus.

Other guy cheered for futility... jumped up saying YES!

As for me.... being sarcastically happy....

but this pick is going to be a huge deal.... I say trade it...

^ fair enough.

Just throwing it out there.

But i still think Nail would be able land Weber or Weber-like Dman.

I am shocked that you think that.

Weber is worth 4 1st round picks at the minimum (that is what he would cost via an RFA offer sheet and yes, several teams would jump at paying that).

Yakupov is an unproven 18 year old.

Ask around to others you respect... simple question: Nail + for Weber, or Weber + for Nail

It isn't even a discussion, it is no contest

Let's put it another way - imagine adding Weber to the Nucks vs adding Yakupov. Does Nail get you any closer to a cup? I don't think so. Does Weber? To me, Van instantly becomes head and shoulders better than any other team.

It never ceases to amaze me how much people over-rate picks vs proven NHLers, nevermind proven NHL superstars

The guy's a fricken Norris Trophy candidate...and this was even a bit of a down year for him up until his late-season surge.

I dunno what kind of talent you projected Yakupov to be, but if he becomes a consistent 80-90 point player, that would be pretty good and probably the best you could manage out of him. He's not going to be a defensive liability, but he sure isn't a PKer. Whereas Shea Weber is going to punish opposing players for 30 minutes, each and every game, he shuts down other star players while continually potting 20+ goals and 50+ points.

Nashville's window of opportunity is now. They have this year to win the Cup (if they can sign both Suter and Weber to extensions that would push that expiration date back). They have never had a team that is as deep up front, as deep on the backend, as deep in net, and they still have Barry "Miracle Man" Trotz coaching the team, and you could argue there isn't a better coach in the NHL. Radulov's return gave Nashville that big-time offensively skilled player that people thought would be their downfall.

They'll be hell-bent on resigning Weber. They have a great team that, should they resign both Suter and Weber, should contend for the Stanley Cup for at LEAST 3 to 5 years. Barring that, there will be tons of suitors for two franchise defensemen and I'm willing to bet that if Weber gets on the open market there's going to be a hell of a lot of GMs tripping over each other trying to overpay for a Norris Trophy candidate on the backend of their squads.

Nashville, if it gets to that point, is going to sell Weber to the highest bidder. So if Edmonton wants that big cannon from the point, start ponying up. Collect all that spare change. I'd wager a good bet that if Yakupov is involved in a deal for Weber, it's a Weber for Smid, Yaks, and a 1st, bare minimum. TBH, I'm not even sure if that's enough, because you can bet a team like Philadelphia or a team like Los Angeles is going to do everything they can to raise the price.

Weber + for Nail???

I am shocked that you think that.

Weber is worth 4 1st round picks at the minimum (that is what he would cost via an RFA offer sheet and yes, several teams would jump at paying that).

Yakupov is an unproven 18 year old.

Ask around to others you respect... simple question: Nail + for Weber, or Weber + for Nail

It isn't even a discussion, it is no contest

Let's put it another way - imagine adding Weber to the Nucks vs adding Yakupov. Does Nail get you any closer to a cup? I don't think so. Does Weber? To me, Van instantly becomes head and shoulders better than any other team.

It never ceases to amaze me how much people over-rate picks vs proven NHLers, nevermind proven NHL superstars

I think it would take more than Yakupov to land Weber but not that much more. Yakupov is the only player in this draft that is a sure bet. There is a significant drop off after Yakupov.

There are a lot of variables to consider for a team trading for Yakupov. For example, he's only going to make 900k and maybe a few bonuses and is estimated to score 30ish goals his first year. This number will likely go up the following years and he won't be making that much money. Whatever team acquires Yakupov will have his rights for 7 years.

You mention other teams would be on Weber? What offers would be better than a Yakupov package?

Also, 4 first rounders is very unlikely to hold any lottery picks, especially a 1st overall. A team signing Weber to a offer sheet would have to be a playoff team, if not on the verge of winning the cup. Those 4 picks would likely be in the 20-30 range. I'm sure a lot of teams would trade 4 late first round picks for a 1st overall.

Anyways, the discussion is moot because Weber would likely only sign with a cup contender. Here is what I think it would take for the Oilers to land Weber if there were to be a trade.

Yakupov, Petry, 2nd FOR Weber

I think it would take more than Yakupov to land Weber but not that much more. Yakupov is the only player in this draft that is a sure bet. There is a significant drop off after Yakupov.

There are a lot of variables to consider for a team trading for Yakupov. For example, he's only going to make 900k and maybe a few bonuses and is estimated to score 30ish goals his first year. This number will likely go up the following years and he won't be making that much money. Whatever team acquires Yakupov will have his rights for 7 years.

You mention other teams would be on Weber? What offers would be better than a Yakupov package?

Also, 4 first rounders is very unlikely to hold any lottery picks, especially a 1st overall. A team signing Weber to a offer sheet would have to be a playoff team, if not on the verge of winning the cup. Those 4 picks would likely be in the 20-30 range. I'm sure a lot of teams would trade 4 late first round picks for a 1st overall.

Anyways, the discussion is moot because Weber would likely only sign with a cup contender. Here is what I think it would take for the Oilers to land Weber if there were to be a trade.

Yakupov, Petry, 2nd FOR Weber

Of course 4 first rounders does not assume a first overall - that's why the package I proposed didn't have 3 other first rounders.

As for Nail making 900k... he'll make $3.775m + whatever the inflation factor is from last year. Cap hit is what matters.

No way would Nashville do Yakupov Petry and a 2nd.

It's not so much about how picks are rated but more like team needs. Of course the Canucks would want Weber more than yakupov at the moment but teams who are still a couple years away from putting it all together may prefer Yakupov. I think the Oilers have the luxury of time to pick Yakupov since he's in the same age group as the others on the team. They can develop him along with the rest of the team.

Nashville, on the other hand, is going to value Weber more because the Preds want to win now.

Yes, Weber is worth 4 1st round picks but moving up to the 1st OVERALL pick isn't cheap either. It's got to be at least 3 1st round picks if not 4, depending on which team is making the offer. Those 4 1st round picks might be 25+ or later.

If the Blue Jackets pitch $9.5-mil-per at Weber, then the Preds might say, "thanks for the 4 1st round picks."

If the Canucks pitch $9.5-mil at Weber, then the Preds might say, "no thanks, we will match."

Likewise,

If the Blue Jackets offer 4 1st round picks for Yakupov, the Oilers might say, "yes, deal."

If the Canucks offer 4 1st round picks for Yakupov, the Oilers might say, "no thanks."

Anyways, i don't think a Yakupov for Weber straight up is as bad as you make it sound.

Of course 4 first rounders does not assume a first overall - that's why the package I proposed didn't have 3 other first rounders.

As for Nail making 900k... he'll make $3.775m + whatever the inflation factor is from last year. Cap hit is what matters.

No way would Nashville do Yakupov Petry and a 2nd.

Cap hit matters to some teams, salary to others.

Nashville wouldn't likely do that deal because of their need to win sooner rather than later but that's the value I put on Weber.

You might not know much about Petry but he emerged as the Oilers best all around defender last season. He actually showed times of top pairing potential.

are they laughing at the team getting the franchise players? or the team thats wandering in the desert?

As far as I know, no other team has needed the first overall pick so many years in a row to avoid getting it again the next season. Yes, the hockey gods are clearly in your favor. Do I wish the flames were drafting Nail? Of course I do. I actually feel like with the team we have he'd actually make a difference. The kids your drafting are the best young players in the world. How is it possible you've drafted so many and they've made zero difference? You can cry injury all you want but many teams had more lost man hours this season than the oilers did. I get being excited about your future. But, wouldn't it be so much sweeter If it had been obtained through something other than being first at being the worst? Not trying to be a jerk. I just don't get it.

I think the Oilers have the luxury of time to pick Yakupov since he's in the same age group as the others on the team. They can develop him along with the rest of the team.

This is part of the reason why I think they would be crazy NOT to trade the pick: too many guys, and too much future cap hit all around the same age.

Teams need more balance than that.

And too many large contracts coming due at the same time.

Cap hit matters to some teams, salary to others.

You might not know much about Petry but he emerged as the Oilers best all around defender last season. He actually showed times of top pairing potential.

No, cap hit matters to EVERY team , and it will most definitely matter to the Oilers in a couple years.

I watch plenty of Oiler games and Petry is not top pairing material. Showing flashes is nowhere near the same as having what it takes to do it every night against the best players (Brodie shows 'top pairing potential' at times as well, but it is foolish to think either one of them is even close enough to discuss).

It's not so much about how picks are rated but more like team needs. Of course the Canucks would want Weber more than yakupov at the moment but teams who are still a couple years away from putting it all together may prefer Yakupov.

Yes, some teams might prefer to have young potential over another vet due to their current situation, and would rather have a package that includes Yakupov.

But that is very different than saying that Yakupov is as good to some teams as Weber is to others.

He isn't. Period.

Maybe some day he will develop into a superstar and then its a different conversation. and then again, maybe he never will.

Yes, some teams might prefer to have young potential over another vet due to their current situation, and would rather have a package that includes Yakupov.

But that is very different than saying that Yakupov is as good to some teams as Weber is to others.

He isn't. Period.

Maybe some day he will develop into a superstar and then its a different conversation. and then again, maybe he never will.

Well, Weber is worth 4 1st round picks.

In order to move up to the 1st overall pick, it would probably cost either:

1) 2 - Top 10 picks

2) 3 - 10th to 20th picks

3) 4 - 20th to 30th picks

In other words, Yakupov is worth as much as 4 first round picks as well.

Well, Weber is worth 4 1st round picks.

In order to move up to the 1st overall pick, it would probably cost either:

1) 2 - Top 10 picks

2) 3 - 10th to 20th picks

3) 4 - 20th to 30th picks

In other words, Yakupov is worth as much as 4 first round picks as well.

I pretty much agree with the first line, but not the third line and not the last sentence. I would say 2 top 10s or 3 later first rounders.

but two top 10 picks will NOT get you Weber. Maybe 2 top 10 picks, a prospect and a roster player.

I pretty much agree with the first line, but not the third line and not the last sentence. I would say 2 top 10s or 3 later first rounders.

but two top 10 picks will NOT get you Weber. Maybe 2 top 10 picks, a prospect and a roster player.

I see Weber (if traded & I doubt he will be) bringing what the Flyers paid for Pronger (possibly a bit more because Weber is in his prime [7-8 years younger then Prongs was @ the time]). That means a roster player, blue chip prospect, 2 1st & a conditional.

As to the relative value of picks, in a weak year 2 top 10s might = a #1 overall but in a deep year that #1 wouldn't be worth much more then the top 10 & a later round pick.

Archived