Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brossoit isn't a goalie of the future type guy IMO. He's got good raw skill, but I've always questioned whether or not he's got the mental approach to really handle being a starter at the NHL level. He seems to let things, bad goals/bad boucnes, get to him more than they should and his game suffers. 

He's a decent goalie, but one i'm not sure one the Flames are going to regret trading. 

The Oilers are garbage. I'm really curious to see how the league reacts after they win this year's lottery as well. Even if they land a top 3 spot ppl will be incensed...last thing any team needs is the entire league disgusted with their inability to play NHL hockey. Brossoit isn't the answer for them right now , they still need to address the other major holes in their team.

I wonder how the Oilers would fare in the AHL if they were relegated??

The Oilers are garbage. I'm really curious to see how the league reacts after they win this year's lottery as well. Even if they land a top 3 spot ppl will be incensed...last thing any team needs is the entire league disgusted with their inability to play NHL hockey. Brossoit isn't the answer for them right now , they still need to address the other major holes in their team.

I wonder how the Oilers would fare in the AHL if they were relegated??

I don't know. On the one hand, I think there's less defensive ability down there and OKC was usually in the Calder playoffs. On the other hand, the Oilers are so terrible. Losing has seeped into the very material of which their locker room is made. One would think they could compete... but that's what analysts have been saying about the Oilers and the NHL.

I don't know. On the one hand, I think there's less defensive ability down there and OKC was usually in the Calder playoffs. On the other hand, the Oilers are so terrible. Losing has seeped into the very material of which their locker room is made. One would think they could compete... but that's what analysts have been saying about the Oilers and the NHL.

On the Oilers boards some are just hoping for a 25th place finish next year. That's how low the bar has been set in Oil Country. I commend them for being realistic but after 10 yrs to see a bottom top 5 finish as progress is so sad in itself. Thank the stars I'm not an Oiler fan!

Oiler Head Coach Reads Team the Riot Act

For a full decade now, Edmonton Oilers coaches have been telling players and fans that those meaningless games in March and April really do matter.

They’ve said it was about playing for pride and jobs next year and finishing strong and probably a bunch of other stuff too, that we might remember if our eyes didn’t glaze over and everything they said didn’t sound like “blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.”

There is no such thing as carrying momentum into the next season or the Oilers wouldn’t be 10 years out of the playoffs, and near as anyone can tell, there have never been any significant personnel moves based on a player’s performance in Edmonton’s annual death march.

But the coach is saying it all again this year, and this time, I don’t think he’s kidding. This time, the new regime isn’t asking the players to start acting like winners, it’s telling them. And it’s keeping track. “I don’t think we’ve seen all we need to see,” said Todd McLellan, who is calling his stretch drive project a character reveal. “We’re not going to make the playoffs, and when that happens, some guys continue to grow their game and really give you and the team everything they have, other guys may choose to take short cuts and we’re watching for that. “You can’t pick and choose when you play in this league. You can’t have success with a segment of players who are cheating. We’re looking for that, and I think it will reveal character issues as we move forward.”

So McLellan sat the players down after the Feb. 29 trade deadline and told everyone they were all starting at zero for the final 18 games of the season, that nobody was going to weighed down by what they failed to accomplish in the first 64 games, nor be able to rest on what they did. “We had a meeting, we sat down and discussed some goals,” said winger Matt Hendricks, adding most of the goals are being kept internal, but basics like finishing over .500 in those final 18 games and getting the faceoff percentages to a certain level are on the big board.

Players are also being tracked individually.

“It’s a hard thing to find motivation in the season after the deadline when you’re already out of the playoffs,” said Hendricks. “So instead of allowing anyone in this room to fall back on their heels, he challenged each and every player. He said it’s a new season. You have to go out there and battle because you are being evaluated by everyone in the organization.” It can be easy for a player to hide in a situation like Edmonton’s — this doesn’t let them. “I haven’t been out of the playoffs until I got to Edmonton, this is the first time I’ve ever done something like this, but I think it’s a great idea,” said Hendricks. “It doesn’t give anybody any slack, it doesn’t give anybody a leash, it doesn’t let them rest on their laurels or the success they had previously.”

Points aren’t the only element on the big board, but Connor McDavid leads the Re-Set scoring race with 11 points in 11 games, and after that, there are some unexpected names at the top of the leaderboard: Mark Letestu and Patrick Maroon are tied for second with six points, Andrej Sekera is fourth with five. Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Leon Draisaitl are next among the forwards with four points each in 11 games, one up on Hendricks. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has three goals in the five games he’s played. 

The Oilers as a team are 6-5. The power play is 16.1% (5-for-31, with four of the goals coming in one game). The penalty kill is 83.8% (26-for-31). “When they go to the board and look up and see their name there, I think it’s kept some guys motivated,” said McLellan. “Some guys really like their numbers, and some guys aren’t so impressed, and they’re pushing and want to improve down the stretch.”

The players are definitely taking it seriously.

“For guys who want to be here, myself included, you want to impress the GM, you want to impress the coach,” said Eberle. “Going into the off-season, going into the draft and next season, you want to leave a good impression so hopefully you can stick around.”

Sounds to me like a quick way to thin the heard. Wouldn't shock me at all if the whole idea of that number is to give Mclellan and Chiralli and Idea of who actually wants to be here. Don't score high enough on the scale, they'll probably be shipping you out. 

Sounds to me like a quick way to thin the heard. Wouldn't shock me at all if the whole idea of that number is to give Mclellan and Chiralli and Idea of who actually wants to be here. Don't score high enough on the scale, they'll probably be shipping you out. 

Easier said than done.  Nuge is competitive, but hard to trade at $6m.  Eberle is productive, but avoids contact and floats a lot.  Does a team want that for $6m long term?  Yak was reported as being in the dog house for skating off by himself at a practice where the coach was talking to the group.  He didn't leave the ice, he just skated away and leaned against the boards by himself.

Easier said than done.  Nuge is competitive, but hard to trade at $6m.  Eberle is productive, but avoids contact and floats a lot.  Does a team want that for $6m long term?  Yak was reported as being in the dog house for skating off by himself at a practice where the coach was talking to the group.  He didn't leave the ice, he just skated away and leaned against the boards by himself.

I think you seriously underate Oiler players. If they put RNH and Eberle on the block they would for sure get calls. ARe they going to get a haul? NO but they would for sure get value. Good 2nd line centers do not grow on trees and in a league whre scoring is becoming every so challenging you really think no team is going to want a perenial 25-30 goal scorer?

Yak I agree his value is lower. According to reports he drew alot of interest at the deadline but its because teams are trying to scoop him for lower value than the Oilers feel he is worth. With Yak, they will definetly need to eat some Pride/potential and take a risk there if they want to move him that I agree with but not RNH and Eberle. They would very easily deal those players IMO and get solid value in return. 

I think you seriously underate Oiler players. If they put RNH and Eberle on the block they would for sure get calls. ARe they going to get a haul? NO but they would for sure get value. Good 2nd line centers do not grow on trees and in a league whre scoring is becoming every so challenging you really think no team is going to want a perenial 25-30 goal scorer?

Yak I agree his value is lower. According to reports he drew alot of interest at the deadline but its because teams are trying to scoop him for lower value than the Oilers feel he is worth. With Yak, they will definetly need to eat some Pride/potential and take a risk there if they want to move him that I agree with but not RNH and Eberle. They would very easily deal those players IMO and get solid value in return. 

Nuge is producing at slightly better rate than Backlund, but Backlund blows the doors off him with his contract value and is better as a defensive player.  I'm not saying that he wouldn't attract interest, but for $6m, he would bring back contract $$ to balance the trade.  There was a rumor that Nuge was in play for Seth Jones, but Nashville wasn't interested.  

Eberle would be of interest to a team that plays mostly in the offensive zone.  Sure his numbers look good, but playing good on one side of the puck is not a trait that all team value.

I don't undervalue them just because they are Oilers.  They are fixable.  But it's a risk taking on a player at $6m that still has issues to work on.   

Nuge is producing at slightly better rate than Backlund, but Backlund blows the doors off him with his contract value and is better as a defensive player.  I'm not saying that he wouldn't attract interest, but for $6m, he would bring back contract $$ to balance the trade.  There was a rumor that Nuge was in play for Seth Jones, but Nashville wasn't interested.  

Eberle would be of interest to a team that plays mostly in the offensive zone.  Sure his numbers look good, but playing good on one side of the puck is not a trait that all team value.

I don't undervalue them just because they are Oilers.  They are fixable.  But it's a risk taking on a player at $6m that still has issues to work on.   

That's the problem with giving players big $/long term 2nd contracts based on potential. Unless they become everything expected & more (which would make the signing GM look like a genius) that contract means you or your successor needs to find a GM that still sees more potential if they only become good/very good players with shortcomings.

When other GMs consider a trade they base it on bang per buck from other players. You mention Backlund doing so re: RNH while I see Wayne Simmonds @ 3.75 with 8 more points than Eberle while bringing defense & an additude into the mix.

Kevin Lowe was so worried about losing them the 1st time they had any choice he elected to bribe them/their agents as soon as they could re-up. After being spurned by UFAs like Heatley KLowe was probably even paranoid that's they'd spurn the Oilers on before/on draft day by refusing to play for them.

Both are tradeable but it's unlikely the return will be Chia's ask nor what Oiler fans hope. @ $6 million x 3 (Eberle) or 4 (RNH) a GM is betting big $s his team can teach them defense & that corners are part of the playing surface even if there is an opposing uniform already in the vicinity. Thus he'll cover his butt with a salary dump in return &/or a low ball offer. After all, he's taking the risk & if the Oilers don't agree they can stand pat & add to the record for most years without playoffs they are setting this season. Chia's in a tough spot.

I'm curious, do you all think McD will regret not pulling a Lindros or Edmonton winning his lottery year? Most top athletes are highly competitive. How long will he spend on an Oiler team that is everything but competitive?

Are RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yak, etc stunted (or worse) because they've lost for so long. I don't like losing when the games don't matter. To lose for years and years when the games could matter has got to have a mental toll.

I'm curious, do you all think McD will regret not pulling a Lindros or Edmonton winning his lottery year? Most top athletes are highly competitive. How long will he spend on an Oiler team that is everything but competitive?

Are RNH, Hall, Eberle, Yak, etc stunted (or worse) because they've lost for so long. I don't like losing when the games don't matter. To lose for years and years when the games could matter has got to have a mental toll.

Oilers are damaged goods for sure, there's no way all the losing and being under the microscope in a Canadian market hasn't hurt their confidence and ability to play to win. I don't think they even believe they themselves are capable of putting together a winning season. They still hold value but it has depreciated over the years.

It would have been almost impossible for him to do with the ELCs unless he went to Europe & played there until the Oilers claim on him expired. That would be if the same loophole for college players exists for CHL players but for them the slide rule might be in effect.

All he can do IMO is:

1) Pull a Drouin & demand a trade.

2) Go to Europe & be treated as a defected player until the Oilers finally trade him.

Teams won't strip their roster for 1 player even if he's called "generational" (a term I figure is used too freely) & cash can no longer be part of the deal as it was with Lindros (& Gretzky).

As to Yak & the "Golden Boys" I see Hall as easily salvaged but the others will need more work. A team would have to reprogram them to reinstall the winning attitude that made them high picks in the 1st place. Their work ethic/will to win is shot to pieces.

Oiler Head Coach Reads Team the Riot Act

For a full decade now, Edmonton Oilers coaches have been telling players and fans that those meaningless games in March and April really do matter.

They’ve said it was about playing for pride and jobs next year and finishing strong and probably a bunch of other stuff too, that we might remember if our eyes didn’t glaze over and everything they said didn’t sound like “blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.”

There is no such thing as carrying momentum into the next season or the Oilers wouldn’t be 10 years out of the playoffs, and near as anyone can tell, there have never been any significant personnel moves based on a player’s performance in Edmonton’s annual death march.

But the coach is saying it all again this year, and this time, I don’t think he’s kidding. This time, the new regime isn’t asking the players to start acting like winners, it’s telling them. And it’s keeping track. “I don’t think we’ve seen all we need to see,” said Todd McLellan, who is calling his stretch drive project a character reveal. “We’re not going to make the playoffs, and when that happens, some guys continue to grow their game and really give you and the team everything they have, other guys may choose to take short cuts and we’re watching for that. “You can’t pick and choose when you play in this league. You can’t have success with a segment of players who are cheating. We’re looking for that, and I think it will reveal character issues as we move forward.”

So McLellan sat the players down after the Feb. 29 trade deadline and told everyone they were all starting at zero for the final 18 games of the season, that nobody was going to weighed down by what they failed to accomplish in the first 64 games, nor be able to rest on what they did. “We had a meeting, we sat down and discussed some goals,” said winger Matt Hendricks, adding most of the goals are being kept internal, but basics like finishing over .500 in those final 18 games and getting the faceoff percentages to a certain level are on the big board.

Players are also being tracked individually.

“It’s a hard thing to find motivation in the season after the deadline when you’re already out of the playoffs,” said Hendricks. “So instead of allowing anyone in this room to fall back on their heels, he challenged each and every player. He said it’s a new season. You have to go out there and battle because you are being evaluated by everyone in the organization.” It can be easy for a player to hide in a situation like Edmonton’s — this doesn’t let them. “I haven’t been out of the playoffs until I got to Edmonton, this is the first time I’ve ever done something like this, but I think it’s a great idea,” said Hendricks. “It doesn’t give anybody any slack, it doesn’t give anybody a leash, it doesn’t let them rest on their laurels or the success they had previously.”

Points aren’t the only element on the big board, but Connor McDavid leads the Re-Set scoring race with 11 points in 11 games, and after that, there are some unexpected names at the top of the leaderboard: Mark Letestu and Patrick Maroon are tied for second with six points, Andrej Sekera is fourth with five. Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle and Leon Draisaitl are next among the forwards with four points each in 11 games, one up on Hendricks. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has three goals in the five games he’s played. 

The Oilers as a team are 6-5. The power play is 16.1% (5-for-31, with four of the goals coming in one game). The penalty kill is 83.8% (26-for-31). “When they go to the board and look up and see their name there, I think it’s kept some guys motivated,” said McLellan. “Some guys really like their numbers, and some guys aren’t so impressed, and they’re pushing and want to improve down the stretch.”

The players are definitely taking it seriously.

“For guys who want to be here, myself included, you want to impress the GM, you want to impress the coach,” said Eberle. “Going into the off-season, going into the draft and next season, you want to leave a good impression so hopefully you can stick around.”

Do you have the link to this article?

Seems they are not totally inept, they past us in value.

2012 NHL team values                                      present value(Forbes)

3e4404f1d4500555e224c94647d7d7d9.png s  443256c11ff898587f0b7ecbfed793ef.png

Lol..there still worthless! This is part of the problem with the Oilers, Katz is a business man..he knows he has the city and fans in the palm of his hands. In his mind he could argue he's already made the Oilers a more valuable franchise, when really..does it matter if  the team isn't succeeding on the ice? Nobody other than Katz cares about the monetary value of the team, he's pilfering $ from these poor fans to the benefit of his bankbook. So what they've sold some McD jerseys and increased their value with a new stadium, this doesn't make them a better team by any means. I think Oilers fans see their value as bottom feeders of the league..thats the only measure that matters to them

World of Tanks! Ha! Oilers at this point are more focused on the memory lane that is Rexall Stadium..10 years and no playoffs? They have a full army of tanks! Let's not let the Nucks off lightly. Jim Benning recently stated how much he hates losing! ...only to confirm they're focused on a top 3 pick for their 1st line now. The regular season isn't even over and he "hates" losing so much but doesn't want to focus on winning the last 4 games? Tank Sedin.

World of Tanks! Ha! Oilers at this point are more focused on the memory lane that is Rexall Stadium..10 years and no playoffs? They have a full army of tanks! Let's not let the Nucks off lightly. Jim Benning recently stated how much he hates losing! ...only to confirm they're focused on a top 3 pick for their 1st line now. The regular season isn't even over and he "hates" losing so much but doesn't want to focus on winning the last 4 games? Tank Sedin.

We are the Oilers we don't do anything

We just stay at home and tank around

And if you ask us to do anything

We'll just tell you, we don't do anything

Well I've never been a winner, and I've never been that good

And I've never been to the playoffs

And I've never been to a lottery (lol), and I've always been in tank hell

And I've never played a meaningful game in the fall

'Cause we are the Oilers we don't do anything

And I'll never hoist the Cup, and I’ll never win a series

And I'll never win a division 'cause I've never won at all

And I've never jumped from the basement, and I've never owned a defense

And I've never played a meaningful game in the fall

'Cause we are the Oilers we don't do anything

Oh, I've never plucked a condor and I am not too good at hockey

And I've never thrown my goalies up against the wall (lol)

And I've never kissed an ice girl, and I've never taken a shower

And I have never played a meaningful game in the fall-all-allllllll

Archived