Leland Irving Ties SO Record for WHL

Whos Bryan Bridges?

A guy who caught lightning in a bottle and rode it to a record. He was an ok -good Dub goalie but caught fire in the one year when he just couldnt be beat. Kinda like a Jim Carey, Brian Boucher type, who has talent but is iffy about putting it together. Well one year he put it together and was just in a zone. I remember watchin him in Kelowna and he was always avg - good, but tha season he was unreal.

While I agree wiht Barney that you have to watch Junior stats, to copare Irving to this guy is a bit of a joke. Bridges has one year of 13 shutouts (which I believe is also a recrod). Other than that he hardly had any shutouts in season previous. Irving has been consistnat throughout his career.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I think that Irving has the tools to be at least a backup NHL goaltender right now. And I don't think that there's any doubt that he'll one day be a starting goaltender in this league, whether it is with the Flames, or any other organization.

I think Flames should try to start some potential young player like Negrin and Irving... don't wait until they are like 22-25 or something

look at Edmonton and other team... they are successful...also with them, our cap space will not be that tough

I think Flames should try to start some potential young player like Negrin and Irving... don't wait until they are like 22-25 or something

look at Edmonton and other team... they are successful...also with them, our cap space will not be that tough

If success means missing the playoffs, then no thanks.

Yeah very succesfull. So successful that they've made the playoffs once in the last 4 seasons. Sure they ended up on a hot streak, but the also went on a hot streak to go to the cup finals. How did the enxt season work out for them, especially when everyone told them they were supppose to be right up there? The oilers havn't shown anything to suggest they are successful.

Trying young players for the sake of trying young players is counterproductive. Irving specifically is different because he needs to play. Backing up a goalie how is guaranteed to playing 60 games or more is useless for Irving. He needs to play consistantly and he wont' get that as a backup. Your pretty much wasting a draft pick if you want a young goalie to be a backup. And as for as Negrin a similar point stands. There is no sense playing a young player just to play him. If he can play than yeah let him play. With Edmonton they were rebuilding and even a guy like Ganger has to earn his chance to play. Rookies earn their spots on good teams, they are not given them.

yes lets bring Irving up, when he hasn't even played one professional hockey game yet. Lets waste a year of Irving's development. It should be fun!!

Better yet, lets crush his confidence by putting him in games that we are getting blown out in and pull him if we are ever winning!!!

Seriously though...Irving ain't ready for the NHL. I could see Negrin contend for a spot given his rapid development though...

Better yet, lets crush his confidence by putting him in games that we are getting blown out in and pull him if we are ever winning!!!

Seriously though...Irving ain't ready for the NHL. I could see Negrin contend for a spot given his rapid development though...

yeah, I don't know if I can see Negrin up yet I guess it just has to do with how he does in camp. But however goaltenders are different from players...there is nothing wrong with waiting till a goaltender is 25 to bring him up. I still like my plan of Keetly and Irving battling it out in the minors for 3 years and whoever has shown the most progression can become Kippers back-up for 2 years and by the time Kippers contract is done hopefully one of them is good enough to go.

yeah, I don't know if I can see Negrin up yet I guess it just has to do with how he does in camp. But however goaltenders are different from players...there is nothing wrong with waiting till a goaltender is 25 to bring him up. I still like my plan of Keetly and Irving battling it out in the minors for 3 years and whoever has shown the most progression can become Kippers back-up for 2 years and by the time Kippers contract is done hopefully one of them is good enough to go.

I have my doubts Negrin is ready, but I mean if anyone is ready that quickly, it'd be him.

I think this guys got a good future in the NHL. but like every goalie he needs improving. And he will become number one in the playoffs, where he is backup to Kipper and Kipper blows a game and he comes in and plays amazing for the rest of the playoffs and wins the playoff MVP... Which goalie did that again btw? I think it was Ward?

or Osgood who did it this year.

or he could just fold stink it up just as bad and have confidence issues nagging him because "he can't take the pressure of the big game".

You can't say Osgood is a backup goaltender when he has played so many games in the regular season.

Detroit was a 1a 1b goalie system.

I think this guys got a good future in the NHL. but like every goalie he needs improving. And he will become number one in the playoffs, where he is backup to Kipper and Kipper blows a game and he comes in and plays amazing for the rest of the playoffs and wins the playoff MVP... Which goalie did that again btw? I think it was Ward?

Ward was indeed the goalie you're thinking of... but if you're equating Gerber to Kiprusoff, you're insane. Gerber was yanked because he couldn't stop a paper cut with a bandage. For the past two seasons, as soon as the playoffs start, Kipper has been under siege. Yes, he lets in some softies; he also faces an absolutely retarded number of quality scoring chances. The team defence cannot be run as though a fire drill is going on; it needs to be in control and the players have to know what they're doing. And I don't know how that plays out with Keenan's lack of system coaching.

You can't say Osgood is a backup goaltender when he has played so many games in the regular season.

Detroit was a 1a 1b goalie system.

Agreed.

Osgood was never really the "backup" this season. Clearly, he showed that he's a starting goalie in the playoffs as well.

Archived