what does this mean?

It means one less day that they have to pay him an NHL salary. This is important, as he doesn't count under the salary cap for that day.

At least, that's my guess.

Based on my understanding of the CBA, that isn't possible. For players to be taken off the cap they actually have to be removed from the roster, and provide some proof they were sent down. i still remember the Canucks in 05/06 had to produce plane tickets becuase they were seinding their goalies up and down from the minors to save cap space.

Based on my understanding of the CBA, that isn't possible. For players to be taken off the cap they actually have to be removed from the roster, and provide some proof they were sent down. i still remember the Canucks in 05/06 had to produce plane tickets because they were sending their goalies up and down from the minors to save cap space.

as my memory serves there was no cap in 05-06...or a season at all..right?

It means one less day that they have to pay him an NHL salary. This is important, as he doesn't count under the salary cap for that day.

At least, that's my guess.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he was demoted on deadline day... I think Sutter was expecting a deal to be made but it ended up not happening and even though they didn't need to clear a roster spot they may have needed to clear cap space in case the trade he was hoping for happened

I believe it has more to do with the AHL roster freeze deadline for the playoffs. I don't know the rule in detail but I believe players need to be on the AHL team roster at a specific time to be eligible to play for that team in the playoffs. If memory serves the Flames did the same thing with a couple players last year (Giordano, Regehr?).

I could be wrong but I think the AHL has something like that in place.

I believe it has more to do with the AHL roster freeze deadline for the playoffs. I don't know the rule in detail but I believe players need to be on the AHL team roster at a specific time to be eligible to play for that team in the playoffs. If memory serves the Flames did the same thing with a couple players last year (Giordano, Regehr?).

I could be wrong but I think the AHL has something like that in place.

I believe you are correct Red...If I'm not mistaken the Bruin's did the same thing with Kessel on Tues...

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, that's exactly what it is. There was so much speculation when the Bruins "sent down" Phil Kessel two days before the deadline. It's just a matter of allowing the player some extra playing time if their farm team makes it to the playoffs (not that I really agree with it if the player has played almost all year in the NHL).

Archived