Coach McGill QC Flames

I don't see anything wrong with what he did based on that article.

If the top players aren't working and they keep getting ice time it sends the wrong message to the team. Coaching 101.

It sounds like the QC Flames are playing like the young team that they are- they're going through growing pains.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried to give McGill the benefit of the doubt. He did put together a decent season in Omaha last year, but its hard to believe this is the same guy. Like others have mentioned, a few of his comments to the local press do not inspire the sort of confidence and accountability one would expect from a head coach.

If he doesn't get QC to the post-season, I hope he is fired.

I've tried to give McGill the benefit of the doubt. He did put together a decent season in Omaha last year, but its hard to believe this is the same guy. Like others have mentioned, a few of his comments to the local press do not inspire the sort of confidence and accountability one would expect from a head coach.

If he doesn't get QC to the post-season, I hope he is fired.

I would strongly disagree with that. I'll admit I don't see virtually any of the QCs game but I would aruge he is donig a good job this year. This team lost its two best players (Boyd and Taratukhin) last year who also happen to be centers. Yes Kolanos has played well, but after him the QC Flames have almost no offensive centers. On top of that their goaltending has been a mess with the constant changing on the parent club. He's also done this with a rebuilt blueline. I would argue he has actually done a better job this year than last.

I've only seen Mcgill run a practice, but from what i've seen and read I think he is a great young coach. Coaches in the minors can get away with making comments in the media as it is different than the pros and in fact can make them tougher for when they are in the pros and are fair game to the coaches.

I would strongly disagree with that. I'll admit I don't see virtually any of the QCs game but I would aruge he is donig a good job this year. This team lost its two best players (Boyd and Taratukhin) last year who also happen to be centers. Yes Kolanos has played well, but after him the QC Flames have almost no offensive centers. On top of that their goaltending has been a mess with the constant changing on the parent club. He's also done this with a rebuilt blueline. I would argue he has actually done a better job this year than last.

Believe me, I used to defend McGill earlier in the season for the same reasons you mentioned above. Not everything that has gone wrong can be pinned squarely on McGill. If he can somehow steer this faltering team into a post-season spot, then he'll once again have my confidence. As it stands right now, though, the guy is not leading very well as illustrated by some of the decisions and comments he has made. There has to be some measuring stick by which he is held accountable, and for me that would be making/not making the post-season.

Believe me, I used to defend McGill earlier in the season for the same reasons you mentioned above. Not everything that has gone wrong can be pinned squarely on McGill. If he can somehow steer this faltering team into a post-season spot, then he'll once again have my confidence. As it stands right now, though, the guy is not leading very well as illustrated by some of the decisions and comments he has made. There has to be some measuring stick by which he is held accountable, and for me that would be making/not making the post-season.

Absolutly, I was just saying he shouldn't be fired just because he doesn't make the post season. Sure people and even the organization to a certain extent, will lose confidence in him, but he has still done an admirable job IMO. Number one job, also my opinion, for an AHL coach is to develop talent. And before Mcgill came along the Flames had very little in the way of NHL ready players. NOt all of this can be attributed to Mcgill of course, but you are looking at guys like Peters, Germyn, Nystrom, Pardy who were all considered scrap that he has helped come very close, or in some cases make that next step. also players in Nystrom and Boyd have come up ready for the grind of the NHL and handled it admirably. YOu have to give a lot of credit to Mcgill for that, and thus why I definetly don't believe he should be fired, but a coach always has to take some blame when his team misses the playoffs.

Number one job, also my opinion, for an AHL coach is to develop talent. And before Mcgill came along the Flames had very little in the way of NHL ready players. NOt all of this can be attributed to Mcgill of course, but you are looking at guys like Peters, Germyn, Nystrom, Pardy who were all considered scrap that he has helped come very close, or in some cases make that next step. also players in Nystrom and Boyd have come up ready for the grind of the NHL and handled it admirably.

I realize that AHL hockey is about development first, and winning second. McGill is not a horrible coach, and as I've stated before, not everything that has gone wrong is his fault anyway. It would be nice, though, to get the feeling that he at least cares about winning at the AHL level. Some of us here in the QC don't get that vibe from his actions.

I'm wondering: what are the expectations of the QC Flames from the fans?

I believe that they're the second youngest team in the AHL and are on the cusp of the playoffs. Were the Molinains expecting a championship this season?

By no way were we expecting a championship team in it's first year here, but we were expecting to see a higher level of coaching as well of the play of the players which we are seeing out of them. But as for McGill, I have seen coaches at lower levels put more effort into their team and not being so negative towards them in the media..

By no way were we expecting a championship team in it's first year here, but we were expecting to see a higher level of coaching as well of the play of the players which we are seeing out of them. But as for McGill, I have seen coaches at lower levels put more effort into their team and not being so negative towards them in the media..

I can understand your concern with "negativity towards the media" but how do you know how much effort he's putting in?

I certainly wasn't expecting a championship either, but we have a team that should be making the post-season. They won the West Division last year, and despite losing some personnel from that roster, should be in a fairly secure playoff position with only 7 weeks remaining in the season. McGill is not a bad coach. His problem stems from a bizarre combination of personality quirks and coaching philosophy that makes him hard to support...especially with a mediocre record. Fans would be willing to forgive some of his comments and puzzling decisions, only if the team wasn't struggling mightily to stay in sixth place.

I think there's a sense that McGill might be having an overall negative impact on team morale, which in turn affects player performance.

I can understand your concern with "negativity towards the media" but how do you know how much effort he's putting in?
Because I attend every practice and just cannot see it out of him. I am concerned not only for this city but most importantly the entire organization. If people were to come watch a game here they'd understand. During time outs actually, most of the guys on the ice are skating around because he doesn't even bring them together to discuss what needs to be done...

Well this isnt pee wee baseball and not every player has to play and take turns to make sure everyone gets the same ice time.

He sits his best players in a one goal game because they didnt do something to his liking. Its a wonder that we havent lost more one goal games that we have allready.

Crap we 33% of our games go into overtime.

Dale Lupul told me that no one on the team likes his and think hes a hard butt to them. Its hard to earn respect when none is given. I dont know im not a coach or a player on the team but I just dont understand his concept of hockey.

Ramholt gives up a goal with 30 seconds left in the 2nd in millwaukee by passing it right to a guy and then they score. Yet McGill decides to give him another 20 mins of ice time because hes out "best dman"

Well this isnt pee wee baseball and not every player has to play and take turns to make sure everyone gets the same ice time.

He sits his best players in a one goal game because they didnt do something to his liking. Its a wonder that we havent lost more one goal games that we have allready.

Crap we 33% of our games go into overtime.

Dale Lupul told me that no one on the team likes his and think hes a hard butt to them. Its hard to earn respect when none is given. I dont know im not a coach or a player on the team but I just dont understand his concept of hockey.

Ramholt gives up a goal with 30 seconds left in the 2nd in millwaukee by passing it right to a guy and then they score. Yet McGill decides to give him another 20 mins of ice time because hes out "best dman"

I agree totally...RamJob is a fool and has no business at this level of hockey...But I guess he is the Coaches golden boy.....Hmm, I would like to say that our best d-men are Palin and Hambly.....McGill is a fool.........

Because I attend every practice and just cannot see it out of him. I am concerned not only for this city but most importantly the entire organization. If people were to come watch a game here they'd understand. During time outs actually, most of the guys on the ice are skating around because he doesn't even bring them together to discuss what needs to be done...

Does McGill run the practices or do his assistants do most of the work?

Quite often the assistant coaches will do most of the actual work during practice while the head coach talks about what they need to work on.

Does McGill run the practices or do his assistants do most of the work?

Quite often the assistant coaches will do most of the actual work during practice while the head coach talks about what they need to work on.

Coach Allen does most of the coaching anyways. In practice on the bench the whole nine yards. It just seems that McGill stands there.

Coach Allen does most of the coaching anyways. In practice on the bench the whole nine yards. It just seems that McGill stands there.

I hate to break it to you but that's how head coaches operate. Behind the scenes they do a lot of work but during the practices they aren't as involved unless the assistants have lost the team or practice is going really poorly. During games it's more about bench management than anything else.

I can understand your frustration with the coach and the situation in general and you may have a very valid argument. However, it also seems like McGill has been anointed as the whipping boy for all the trouble that ail the baby Flames. He may be the most visible and conveniant scapegoat but that doesn't make him the actual source of all the problems.

I hate to break it to you but that's how head coaches operate. Behind the scenes they do a lot of work but during the practices they aren't as involved unless the assistants have lost the team or practice is going really poorly. During games it's more about bench management than anything else.

I can understand your frustration with the coach and the situation in general and you may have a very valid argument. However, it also seems like McGill has been anointed as the whipping boy for all the trouble that ail the baby Flames. He may be the most visible and conveniant scapegoat but that doesn't make him the actual source of all the problems.

Agreed. Head coaches are the motivators, while the assistants are the x/os and brains sort to speak. Talk a guy like Keenan, or Arbour for example. Guys dind't have that high levl of x/os but know how to get the best out of their players. A guy like Dave Lewis is the opposite. Consdiered to be one of the best assistants in the league, but hasn't been able to cut it as a coach.

Scotty Bowman is really the only coach teh come to mind that could do both with the best of them, and thus the reason he is by far and away the best coach in NHL history.

Actually McGill runs most of the drills.

So where is the "McGill does nothing during practice" comments originate from? I'm not trying to be a smartass I'm just trying to understanding what's going on in QC. It seems many of the comments thus far are stemming from frustration but what's the real story?

Well I can understand that it probably is hard on McGill too. He had the best team in the Western Division last year and then keenan comes in and he has to coach so that these players are ready to play in Calgary.

Archived