What is the status on Eric Nystrom?

I talked to him tonight 3-16-07 and he is still looking at coming back on 1 April. He will be a difference maker come playoff time. It sucks for the Flames he got hurt in pre-season. He would have helped the scoring lines. He plays smart and has a nose for the net

• 3 weeks later...

It was great to see him on the ice last night. He is not going to be full speed for a few more games and he gets his legs back but when he does he will light it up! Playoffs look great. We have some horses to run with Chicago. Send us back Gio so he can get the splenters out of his butt! It does his development nothing to have him riding the bench in Calgary

In defence of our front office for that draft, have a look at the first round. After Nystrom, the next decent player is Cam Ward at 25. Yeah, woulda liked to have had him, BUT there really wasn't anyone outside the top 8 (Rick Nash, Kari Lehtonen, Jay Bouwmeester, Joni Pitkanen, Ryan Whitney, Scottie Upshall, Joffrey Lupul, Pierre Marc Bouchard, Petr Taticek)

• 2 weeks later...

I think Eric Nystrom was a good pick. He may not develop into a superstar, but I think he can, when healthy, hold down an NHL roster spot. He was on the Flames opening day roster this year. I think if he was healthy, David Moss never would've got the call. Expect Nystrom to try hard at camp next year to win his spot back.

Archived