McElhinney

It's amazing how many goalies are in the Flames system, two awesome ones are still in the WHL in Irving and Keetley. It's too bad that most of them will probably not make it to the Flames. The Oilers used to draft SO many goalies, dozens of them, that they'd all get lost in the system. Hopefully we don't!

Mcheinney really impressed me at Flames camp two years ago. I saw a lot of good instinctis and a great glove and thought he was the best goalie (other than Kipper)at that camp. He played fairly well last season as well and hasa even improved. Great to see, and great to have goalie depth.

If this is true it might be time to trade Krahn...He just can't seem to make that next step..

hes never really been given the opportunity. Hes had Knee problems and when Macrcoux got a hold of him he pretty much reworked his entire style to make him a better goalie. It took some time but has now paid off.

Brining in Mclennan shouldn't be viewed as not having confidence in Krahn, but simply that they would rather have a young oalie play than open the gate and sti behind one of the busiest goalie in the league.

I think the competition is good for both goalies and for the organization. I don't think Krahn should be handed a spot on the big club just because he was a 1st round pick ... and if someone beats him out, so be it. At the end of the day, there is room for both in the NHL so one of those guys might be trade bait.

McElhinney has been named AHL player of the week for the period ending Dec. 10, 2006.

http://www.calgaryflames.com/cgi-bin/news/..._num=0000001057

:o Yeah, I just saw that a little bit ago. That's great for him :D

Does that mean they aren't playing Krahn too much? Where'd this guy come from? :lol:

They're still splitting the games pretty much 50/50. Not sure if you're joking, but McElhinney has been in the system a couple years. He's a Calgary product who played some pretty great college hockey in Colorado.

McElhinney has been named AHL player of the week for the period ending Dec. 10, 2006.

Does that mean they aren't playing Krahn too much? Where'd this guy come from? :lol:

They're still splitting the games pretty much 50/50. Not sure if you're joking, but McElhinney has been in the system a couple years. He's a Calgary product who played some pretty great college hockey in Colorado.

I actually wasn't joking, I really hadn't heard of him before. I've only ever seen Krahn called up to play during the pre-season.... has McElhinney ever?

I actually wasn't joking, I really hadn't heard of him before. I've only ever seen Krahn called up to play during the pre-season.... has McElhinney ever?

I think he dressed as a backup for a game in the preseason but never played. I think it was the Florida game. He was sent down right after. Hes a later round pick who was instrumental in getting Colorado to the final four a couple years ago. Great natural talent and great glove from what i've seen him play. He is behind Krahn on the depth chart though.

The current situation reminds me a little of when the Flames had Vernon in net and had Trevor Kidd, Jason Muzatti, Dwayne Roloson and Jean Sebastian-Giguere fighting it out in the minors. Unfortunately, the Flames gave the job to the wrong guy just because he was a highly touted first round draft pick (and picked ahead of Martin Brodeur).

The current situation reminds me a little of when the Flames had Vernon in net and had Trevor Kidd, Jason Muzatti, Dwayne Roloson and Jean Sebastian-Giguere fighting it out in the minors.  Unfortunately, the Flames gave the job to the wrong guy just because he was a highly touted first round draft pick (and picked ahead of Martin Brodeur).

Agree with the situation, but I think this is a little different for two reason. 1) Sutter has showed no real loyalty to players. The best players get the callups and get the ice time. 2) krahn isn't a Sutter product and has, IMO, lost his status of a first rounder. He always will be one but Kidd came with a lot of hype that I think has died, for the most part, with Krahn. A lot of people don't talk about Krahn as being a first round pick we need to get going.

The current situation reminds me a little of when the Flames had Vernon in net and had Trevor Kidd, Jason Muzatti, Dwayne Roloson and Jean Sebastian-Giguere fighting it out in the minors.  Unfortunately, the Flames gave the job to the wrong guy just because he was a highly touted first round draft pick (and picked ahead of Martin Brodeur).

Just to nitpick, Roloson and Giguere were never in the system while Vernon was with the Flames. Still, your point about Kidd stands.

Just to nitpick, Roloson and Giguere were never in the system while Vernon was with the Flames. Still, your point about Kidd stands.

Then it doesn't remind me of that... :?

• 1 month later...

C MAC is on a tear rite now. Krahn went down with a dislocated knee something like 3 weeks ago, after coming off his twisted ankle injury. C MAC is 17-8-0 now in 28 games in goal. he has a 0.917 save % and has only allowed 53 goals. he has 4 shutouts and has a 2.17 GAA. rumor around Omaha is that Krahn might b traded to make room for McKenna (our current backup goalie). has neone here heard nething about a possible trade involving Krahn??

C MAC is on a tear rite now.  Krahn went down with a dislocated knee something like 3 weeks ago, after coming off his twisted ankle injury.  C MAC is 17-8-0 now in 28 games in goal.  he has a 0.917 save % and has only allowed 53 goals.  he has 4 shutouts and has a 2.17 GAA.  rumor around Omaha is that Krahn might b traded to make room for McKenna (our current backup goalie).  has neone here heard nething about a possible trade involving Krahn??

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Krahn moved near the trade deadline to a team that needs a young goalie. He'd probably be involved in a package deal if it happens. Looks like his future with the Flames organization is bleak.

i hope not...Krahn and McElhinney r a good duo here in Omaha...if they traded Krahn in a package that did not include a proven goalie...that wuld leave us with an unproven goal tender in Mike McKenna, who is the #1 goalie in the ECHL, however he hasnt started any games for Omaha, he may have started 1 with the Milwaukee Admirals. lets hope they keep him.

I, for one, would be sad to see Krahn go, but it's more for sentimental reasons than anything. I'd get over it. I was hoping he'd get the back up job this season before Sutter went and got Noodles. Now, with the way McElhinney is playing, it might be better to trade Krahn and give him a chance somewhere else.

Archived