Flames WOWY

kehatch

WOWY stands for "With our without you".  It is meant to show stats (enhanced or otherwise) of a player when on certain lines or with certain partners.  Here are a few interesting tidbits.  I gathered all data from puckalytics.com

I will show 3 numbers :

• TOI: The time spent on the ice together / apart
  • CF%: The relation of shot attempts for to shot attempts against.  50% is even.  Above 50% is positive. 
  • GF%: The relation of goals for and against.  

All info is 5 on 5.  For this round I focused on the D pairings that represented our top 4 this season.  

Engelland and Brodie:

• Brodie With Engelland: TOI: 332, CF%: 36.4, GF%: 31.6  
  • Brodie W/O Engelland: TOI: 1243, CF%: 47.7, GF%: 54.5
  • Engelland W/O Brodie: TOI: 664, CF%: 42.5, GF%: 34.7

Engelland was one of the worst possession players on the team this season.  Nearly every regular team mate (forward and D) saw their numbers go down when he was on the ice with them.  Brodie's numbers plummeted when paired with Engelland.  Meanwhile Engelland's numbers also plummeted when paired with Brodie. Most likely due to the moving from the bottom pair to the top 4.  

Giordano and Brodie:

• Brodie With Giordano: TOI: 1026, CF%: 48.9, GF%: 55.7  
  • Brodie W/O Giordano: TOI: 548, CF%: 39.1, GF%: 40.5
  • Giordano W/O Brodie: TOI: 88, CF%: 43.2, GF%: 27.3

These guys are fantastic together showing the top numbers on the team despite playing the toughest minutes.  Both saw a big drop when paired apart.  Though Brodie's numbers might be explained by spending a large part of his time away paired with Engelland.    

Wideman and Russell:

• Wideman With Russell: TOI: 1260, CF%: 43.4, GF%: 55.2  
  • Wideman W/O Russell: TOI: 231, CF%: 40.3, GF%: 40.9
  • Russell W/O Wideman: TOI: 223, CF%: 40.8, GF%: 60.0

These guys were better together then apart.  But they weren't great in the shot attempt department even when together.  Both players were out attempted by a fair margin even when paired together.    

This is just one view of the results.  But based on this view we can tell two things:

1. Engelland doesn't belong anywhere near the top 4 (or arguably top 6)
  2. Our top 4 (specifically the second pairing) needs to be improved.  

I will look at some of the forward configurations in the future.  

I really don't care for the CF%. The GF% is the only one that really matters because that's what happens on the scoreboard. Others may disagree but that's my view.

The GF% is essentially equal for Bro-dano and Wides-Russel. That's pretty good for a top 2 pairing.

Its not the best numbers in the league probably, but they're not bad either. This is probably due to having an inexperienced forward core ahead of them for most of the season that may not play with the same defensive responsibility s a more experinced one.

Also, Wide/Russ's numbers will have been lowered because they essentially became the top pairing for the last third of the season. If it looked only at the time they were playing as the second pairing (which they should be), then I think their numbers would improve because tey'd be against less difficult competition.

But it does scream that we don't have anyone who can step into the top 4 if we're relying on Engellend who hauls the numbers into the basement. We need another top-4 viable player. Even if they play on the third pairing most of the time, but at least have them available to play up.

GF is what matters when looking back.  It is ultimately the results. But CF does matter when your looking forward as it helps predict future results.  

I agree with your assessment though.  Wideman and Russell were a passable second pairing that got beat up a bit when forced to move into the first pairing.  And the Flames need better depth to avoid a situation where they are forced to elevate Engellend to the top 4.  

GF is what matters when looking back.  It is ultimately the results. But CF does matter when your looking forward as it helps predict future results.  

I agree with your assessment though.  Wideman and Russell were a passable second pairing that got beat up a bit when forced to move into the first pairing.  And the Flames need better depth to avoid a situation where they are forced to elevate Engellend to the top 4.  

Fair. Though in the case of Russell, his shot blocking negates some of the CF effect more than any other D-man in the league. Wides is also statistically our best PK D-man with the fewest goals allowed by time on ice and in total.

I expect that all 4 of them will see an improvement in their numbers next season as the forwards get more experience as well.

They are not the best top 4 in the league, but they are the highest scoring (if all healthy a full season) and I'd say in the top 5 or 6.

They need support though. I'd say that's our most glaring hole on the team right now.

Archived