Suggestion: Wayne Simmonds.

AlbertaBoy12

Not so much overvaluing them, just looking at and valuing different things.  Just because someone is a prospect and unproven yet at the NHL level doesn't mean they don't have value, sometimes tremendous value.  If you value what a particular player brings to the table, either now or in the future he's going to be worth a lot to you.  

Simmonds is proven and very valuable today, 3-5 years from now maybe not so much.  Meanwhile a prospect may be only potential today but (if they work out) tremendously valuable in current terms 3-5 years down the road.

If you believe more in the potential value they might have 3-5 years down the road more than what a 26 year old is doing now you don't offer him (let alone 2 of those top liners in waiting) for the player.

Meanwhile the team that already has a young proven top 6 signed to a great contract isn't going to trade him for a handfull of maybe.

Simmonds is 26 years old.  He is a right handed shot RW.  He plays a physical power forward game.  He has put up 25 goals or more the last 4 seasons (shortened season pro-rated).  He works hard on the ice and is decent at both ends.  Plus he is signed to a value contract for 4 more seasons.  

I don't care who your beholder is.  Nobody is giving that up for a collection of spare parts like Granlund and Jooris.  Backlund isn't enough either.  What incentive does Philly have to make that trade?  Simmonds is good in the present and future and he has a value contract.  You aren't trading that for B level prospects.  It makes absolutely zero sense to do that.  

The only reason they trade him is to get a similar player at a position they have a greater need.  Even then, they are probably going to want similar upside in terms of a young player that helps now and in the future.  With Giroux, Schenn, and Couturier I don't see them having a need for Backlund.  Certainly not straight up for Simmonds.  

I don't see a good match between Calgary and Philly.  At least not for Simmonds.  We don't have the right pieces they are looking for (specifically a young top 4D).  The only exception might be if we take a nasty contract (like Lecavalier) off of their hands.  But I doubt they give up Simmonds just to create cap space.  

Thankyou kind sir. :)

Archived