Ufa Targets 2013

joeyabs

UFA's Flames Should Target  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Flames consider signing? (can choose more than one)

• Ribeiro (WASH)
    • Horton (BOS)
    • Stalberg (CHI)
    • Brunner (DET)
    • Filppula (DET)
    • Clarkson (NJ)
    • Clowe (NYR)
    • Bozak (TOR)
    • Raymond (VAN)
    • Weiss (FLA)

So is this supposed to be a best possible scenario? Because if history tells us anything it's that there is no way in hell we are going to land all those players..... Especially without giving up all we have for picks and prospects and even then it looks like a pipe dream.

And in all actuality all of the above mentioned teams have at least 6 centers in there line up, Pittsburg is the only exception with 5. Obviously not all of them play down the middle but it certainly helps with draws and defensive play when you have so many natural C's on the ice.

Maybe not all but each is a possible. Many are on cap strapped teams so this year makes it more possible due to the dropping cap. Players that would require huge payments will have to be moved as teams identify which they see as more important in the long run.

A dropping cap is a unique situation Calgary can use to advantage.

We have to remember this is not a chance to dump bad contracts but it is a rare opporturity to pick up talent on what was the going market price @ the time they signed. The teams forced into those moves need cap space (meaning picks this year or next) but are over a barrel so can't drive a hard bargain. Most players teams attempt to move will be vets as EL are bargains but a 27-28 year old shouldn't be discounted because you expect a ground up rebuild. That's a prime age for most players & with an average for a top 6 or top 4 on D of 4.5 we have room for 5. An amnesty of Cammi makes it 6.

If we grab a few depth players (Clitsome is an example) left free by teams doing the same we change the face overnight.

Expect a busy summer.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who is this future you speak of ? our prospect talent is not that good and in today's world you are lucky if  2 or 3 make it onto the team. Baertschi is our top prospect and we don't even know what he has yet. We need a good draft, pick up a few key FAs and have Feaster make a few good trades. What we have when the smoke clears is anyones guess, which you are clearly doing here.

The Flames have said they are willing to move picks for players.  I am saying I hope they don't trade away prospects and picks in an effort to be mediocre.  When best case scenario is a B level team fighting for a playoff spot you aren't in good shape.  

So is this supposed to be a best possible scenario? Because if history tells us anything it's that there is no way in hell we are going to land all those players..... Especially without giving up all we have for picks and prospects and even then it looks like a pipe dream.

And in all actuality all of the above mentioned teams have at least 6 centers in there line up, Pittsburg is the only exception with 5. Obviously not all of them play down the middle but it certainly helps with draws and defensive play when you have so many natural C's on the ice.

Most of those players I listed are free agents.  The exception is Schenn and Stastny.  Given the cap hit, a series of declining seasons, and an expiring contract I don't know if Stastny is that expensive.  Schenn might be a bit more but he is still in reasonable reach.

But I agree with you.  I think what I listed is a best case scenario and even if accomplished I don't think it makes us a particularly good team.  I hope the Flames don't blow assets and commit to nasty contracts to try and be mediocre.  

The C position in the top 4 playoff teams are:

LA: Kopitar, Carter, Richards, Stoll

BOS: Bergeron, Krejci, Seguin, Peverley

PIT: Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, Kennedy

CHI: Toews, Bolland, Kruger, Handzus

Chicago lacks depth but has Toews.  The rest of the teams are full of stars and depth.  Lets face it, this team wasn't good with Iginla, Bouwmeester, and Kipper and we are going to be hard pressed to even replace them. 

To have any chance Calgary will have to take advantage of their system, free agency, and trade to be successful.  They will also need to find success from players like Ramo and Backlund.  

If they can bring on players like Horton, Schenn, Stastny, Bozak, etc without giving up to much of the future then perhaps we have a chance.  But even if we pull that off we are going to be a B level team at best.  I really hope we don't over commit to bad contracts or give up our future for NHL ready assets so that we can put together a B team.    

Cammalleri-Stastny-Horton

Glencross-Bozak-Hudler

Baertschi-Backlund-Stempniak

Begin-Bouma-Jackman

Giordano-Schenn

Brodie-Wideman

Breen-Butler

Ramo

MacDonald

The great thing about those teams is they have so much depth that Seguin and Peverly are playing the wings with Chris Kelly playing center, and Carter is on the wing with Colin Fraser playing center. So even on the wings they have guys who can step up and play center if need be.

The great thing about those teams is they have so much depth that Seguin and Peverly are playing the wings with Chris Kelly playing center, and Carter is on the wing with Colin Fraser playing center. So even on the wings they have guys who can step up and play center if need be.

Indeed. Success in the NHL starts with the C position and great teams have a bunch of them.  When the Flames are sitting with Backlund and Stajan as the only natural Cs it is unrealistic to think we can go deep in the playoffs.  Especially when we lack a starting goalie, have a weak top 4D, and lack size/defensive play on the wing.  Sigh.  

Maybe not all but each is a possible. Many are on cap strapped teams so this year makes it more possible due to the dropping cap. Players that would require huge payments will have to be moved as teams identify which they see as more important in the long run.

A dropping cap is a unique situation Calgary can use to advantage.

We have to remember this is not a chance to dump bad contracts but it is a rare opporturity to pick up talent on what was the going market price @ the time they signed. The teams forced into those moves need cap space (meaning picks this year or next) but are over a barrel so can't drive a hard bargain. Most players teams attempt to move will be vets as EL are bargains but a 27-28 year old shouldn't be discounted because you expect a ground up rebuild. That's a prime age for most players & with an average for a top 6 or top 4 on D of 4.5 we have room for 5. An amnesty of Cammi makes it 6.

If we grab a few depth players (Clitsome is an example) left free by teams doing the same we change the face overnight.

Expect a busy summer.

I am fully expecting a very busy summer and can see the potential to land it big but I'd rather wait till the dust settles to see who is out there before jumping to conclusions. We as fans tend to let our imaginations get the best of us and can come up with some pretty exciting ideas of what can happen but the fact is it never lives up to the hype. I do know that there will be some wacky surprises ahead, a few moves no one seen coming and probably a signing or two in Calgary that will rev the hype machine up around here, I just don't plan on letting myself get too wound up with what could be until I see things unfold.

I am fully expecting a very busy summer and can see the potential to land it big but I'd rather wait till the dust settles to see who is out there before jumping to conclusions. We as fans tend to let our imaginations get the best of us and can come up with some pretty exciting ideas of what can happen but the fact is it never lives up to the hype. I do know that there will be some wacky surprises ahead, a few moves no one seen coming and probably a signing or two in Calgary that will rev the hype machine up around here, I just don't plan on letting myself get too wound up with what could be until I see things unfold.

Remember I am mostly using my Flyers as an example because I'm most familiar with them.

There are many teams in the same situation.

It's a chance for teams with cap space to steal talent.

Strangely the top 4 can keep their core & back fill with prospects until they add @ the deadline again. The trick is to pick the bones of those tight to the cap. Dang, I like capgeek. :)

Remember I am mostly using my Flyers as an example because I'm most familiar with them.

There are many teams in the same situation.

It's a chance for teams with cap space to steal talent.

Strangely the top 4 can keep their core & back fill with prospects until they add @ the deadline again. The trick is to pick the bones of those tight to the cap. Dang, I like capgeek. :)

I know,it's just an example, I'm fine with the flames using picks to get proven NHL talent as long as it fits into the long term health of the club. If we could get a Berglund, Schenn, Kaudri, ect..... with our picks then I call that good management, I just want to see this club BUILD a TEAM, not a one trick pony that has to carry the load game after game, and not with aging Vets that offer nothing to the future of the franchise.

In all honesty I want to see them use there picks at the draft, I like the idea of this club being built from the ground up, it would be a nice change of culture around here, but in the end I'm all for what ever it takes to make the Calgary Flames a contender for years to come.

Indeed. Success in the NHL starts with the C position and great teams have a bunch of them.  When the Flames are sitting with Backlund and Stajan as the only natural Cs it is unrealistic to think we can go deep in the playoffs.  Especially when we lack a starting goalie, have a weak top 4D, and lack size/defensive play on the wing.  Sigh.  

IMO having more Centers in your line up sets you up to have a more defensively responsible team that is better in transition from offence to defence and vice versa. When your wingers are center's that have spent all of there life having to back check hard on the opposing rush it becomes more natural for them later on when there asked to play the sides, it also gives you the obvious advantage in the dot to allow you to start with the puck.

There is a huge difference in dzone coverage from the teams with multiple centers compared to those with more natural wingers....

PIT: Crosby, Malkin, Sutter, Kennedy

Lol wrong. Jokinen, Adams and Vitale have been playing 4th line center. Kennedy is a bottom 6 left winger and an average one at that.

Correction that should be right wing for Kennedy. He was benched for a good portion of the end of the season and the playoffs because all he does is chest snipe other teams goalies.

Lol wrong. Jokinen, Adams and Vitale have been playing 4th line center. Kennedy is a bottom 6 left winger and an average one at that.

Correction that should be right wing for Kennedy. He was benched for a good portion of the end of the season and the playoffs because all he does is chest snipe other teams goalies.

Sure. But the guys it is the first three that really matter.  The point is the Flames don't have a Crosby, Malkin, or even a Sutter and don't have a reasonable way to acquire them.  

One thing I picked up from the season ticket holder meeting is I really got the sense the Flames have backed off this whole "our mandate is to be in the playoffs next year" idea. Feaster admitted that the club is not very fond of the free agent market this year and isn't expecting to be very active there they are basically relying on trades and the draft and the sense I got was they understand this is going to be a process. I think the whole idea of the mandate of the playoffs was to send the message they don't plan on being an Edmonton where they sit back and just wait on the draft they want to be active but not to the point they are stupid and I think this year's free agency crop is going to be that stupid.

One thing I picked up from the season ticket holder meeting is I really got the sense the Flames have backed off this whole "our mandate is to be in the playoffs next year" idea. Feaster admitted that the club is not very fond of the free agent market this year and isn't expecting to be very active there they are basically relying on trades and the draft and the sense I got was they understand this is going to be a process. I think the whole idea of the mandate of the playoffs was to send the message they don't plan on being an Edmonton where they sit back and just wait on the draft they want to be active but not to the point they are stupid and I think this year's free agency crop is going to be that stupid.

Unless amnesty buyouts add to the UFA pool there really isn't much there.

I see the value being in trades as teams that need to get under cap shed salary. The buyer is in the driver seat.

I don't think may fans actually believed him. At least from the standpoint that there could be a turnover of that big porportions and still compete for a playoff spot next season. I personally thought it would take longer and even with a good FA summer I couldn't see all that change falling into place for next year.

That doesn't consider that other teams are in the running too for some of the FA's and spoils of a lower cap.

Oilers have very similar needs to ours and almost as much budget to spend. They need a big forward(preferable Center) They need 2x big top 4 D, and depending if they are willing to run with DD may need to look for a solid Goalie. They need to get bigger just like we do. They have some older forwards who have some hefty contracts(Hemsky, Whitney) they would like to(but find it difficult to trade, just like us.

I don't think may fans actually believed him. At least from the standpoint that there could be a turnover of that big porportions and still compete for a playoff spot next season. I personally thought it would take longer and even with a good FA summer I couldn't see all that change falling into place for next year.

That doesn't consider that other teams are in the running too for some of the FA's and spoils of a lower cap.

Oilers have very similar needs to ours and almost as much budget to spend. They need a big forward(preferable Center) They need 2x big top 4 D, and depending if they are willing to run with DD may need to look for a solid Goalie. They need to get bigger just like we do. They have some older forwards who have some hefty contracts(Hemsky, Whitney) they would like to(but find it difficult to trade, just like us.

Im with you there, unless we have one of those crazy, no one ever seen them coming type seasons pending a few good UFA's, prospects stepping up I don't see how we can possibly hope to make a run for it next season. If I had to be realistic Id guess we are looking at another bottom 6 finish (god help us all) There are too many other teams further along then us with room to spend to expect that we are going to be able to complete a retool/rebuild/restructure over night.

Personally I would like to see them take there time and properly evaluate every pick, every signing and every trade, weighing what each player brings to the organization moving forward. If your not sure then ink em to a one year deal and beef up the price to keep em interested. Id rather spend 4-5 mill on a one year tryout then a 2.5-4 mill on a 3-4 year deal that might shoot us in the foot.

According to TSN Mark Streit turned down the Isles about re-signing. He's 35 & his last contract was 5 x 4.1. Logs good minutes, has a nice shot & still offers a lot on D.

I wouldn't pursue him but figured I'd toss it out for discussion.

According to TSN Mark Streit turned down the Isles about re-signing. He's 35 & his last contract was 5 x 4.1. Logs good minutes, has a nice shot & still offers a lot on D.

I wouldn't pursue him but figured I'd toss it out for discussion.

I prefer younger players that can impact the team longer term.  That said they need to fill the roster.  In absence of NHL ready prospects or younger players acquired via trade/free agency committing short term contracts to older players.  

But I don't think Streit fills our need.  We have Wideman.  I think we need physical defensively focused D men that can log big minutes in a top 4 role. 

I don't think giving him a 1-year or 2-year contract would be the end of the world in absence of better options.  However, I am holding out hope that better options exist.  

That all said, I wonder if he would even consider signing here. 

Archived