Our Prospects And How The Future Could Look

That is painful to look at. Just a hunch but I doubt the highest paid player on the Flames is only going to be making 1.5 million.

Seeing as how the total cap hit for his roster is 20.5 million, I'm guessing that he did not worry about the cap hit in 2020, but rather just put them where he thought they would be based on his projection. But if that is the only flaw that a future GM can find with a roster that doesn't have 3 first overall picks in a row it must be good!

Backlund116089, in terms of the roster, keep in mind that we have another 8 years of draft picks, trades, and signings before we get there. I personally think that Backlund will not be a first line right winger, he is too defensively responsible to stick on a wing, especially if his offense dictates first line scoring at that time. Of your 4 centers + backlund I would suspect that horak or grandlund would be the most likely to make the transition to wing. But in all reality, at least one of our center prospects will probably be a bust/not make the NHL. probably more then one.

From that roster the biggest holes I see are a top line RW, and top 1 and 2 defense man as I do not expect any of those D to fill that spot.

I'll give you kudos for trying to use only our prospects, but unless they rework a few items with the players assoc then 50mil cap space won't cut it as they have min floor limits.

Obviously I didnt care about the money. The players like backlund and brodie that are there already have contracts so I wasnt going to create them just to change their contracts. Just ignore the money its not hard

The realist in me says thats a roster thats going to compete for the first overall pick. Half of those guys will never be NHL regulars. We dont know why or how at this point but thats just the historical fact. Some will get injured, some will not show the work ethic required and some just wont be as good playing against NHL level competition.

Also with our calibre team next year we could land a 2013 top 10 pick to add a top pairing D like Ryan Pulock or Rasmus Ristolianen. Then if Iggy and Kipper get traded or start declining we could land a 2014 top 5 pick and get one of Aaron Ekblad,Sam Reinhart or Jake Virtanen. Plus there is trades and UFA signings. Point is a lot can happen between now and then.

At the very least we're starting to get some good skill in our top 20. If HockeysFuture actually found a writer for the Flames it wouldn't look that bad anymore.

1. Sven Baertschi [8.0C]

2. T.J. Brodie [7.5B]

3. Leland Irving [7.5B]

4. Max Reinhart [7.5C]

5. Mark Jankowski [8.0D]

6. Markus Granlund[7.5C]

7. Greg Nemisz [7.0B]

8. John Gaudreau [7.5C]

9. Michael Ferland [7.0C]

10. Tyler Wotherspoon [7.0C]

11. Roman Horak [7.0C]

12. Laurent Broisoit [7.0C]

13. Patrick Sieloff [7.0C]

14. Paul Byron [7.0C]

15. Bill Arnold [6.5B]

16. Lance Bouma [6.5B]

17. Akim Aliu [6.5C]

18. Joni Ortio [7.5D]

19. Mitch Wahl [7.0D]

20. Chris Breen [6.5C]

Quite an improvement over previous years dontcha think?

• 2 weeks later...

At the very least we're starting to get some good skill in our top 20. If HockeysFuture actually found a writer for the Flames it wouldn't look that bad anymore.

1. Sven Baertschi [8.0C]

2. T.J. Brodie [7.5B]

3. Leland Irving [7.5B]

4. Max Reinhart [7.5C]

5. Mark Jankowski [9.0D]

6. Markus Granlund[7.5C]

7. Greg Nemisz [7.0B]

8. John Gaudreau [7.5C]

11. Roman Horak [7.0C]

14. Paul Byron [7.0C]

15. Bill Arnold [6.5B]

16. Lance Bouma [6.5B]

17. Akim Aliu [6.5C]

18. Joni Ortio [7.5D]

19. Mitch Wahl [7.0D]

20. Chris Breen [6.5C]

Not to nit pick, but since Jankowski is not yet on hockeysfuture, I would have to put him as a 9.0D based on what the flames have said about his projected ceiling, his age, his move up the draft rankings, etc. etc. I definitely agree with the D rating though because he is the definition of a boom or bust prospect.

No prospect outside of the few elite are really know after the draft. Expect HF to rank Jankowski 8.0 C

Probably more likely to be a D. HF isn't so high on our prospects and in general the forum hates our aging, non-rebuilding team.

I'm gonna wager a guess that it starts off at 7.5D and could rise or fall depending on how he does the next year.

Probably more likely to be a D. HF isn't so high on our prospects and in general the forum hates our aging, non-rebuilding team.

I'm gonna wager a guess that it starts off at 7.5D and could rise or fall depending on how he does the next year.

I guess. But they normally play it safe and rate all similar projects as a C until they have time to gain a legitimate perspective.

since they have Gaudreau at a 7.5D I think Jankowski will be either 8.5D or 8.0C

since they have Gaudreau at a 7.5D I think Jankowski will be either 8.5D or 8.0C

Silly Ring, that's not how HF works! They'll judge it based on where he was drafted compared to where and how highly he was ranked. He was supposed to be a second rounder and a project at that and given the fact that it's the Flames who drafted him it'll have a lower projection. Thus 7.5 D. Heck, depending on their mood it could be a 7.0D.

We don't even have a writer at HF anyways so they don't rate our players as highly as they would for their own teams. Plus they haven't updated the ratings from last year.

1. Sven Baertschi [8.0C]

2. T.J. Brodie [7.5B]

3. Leland Irving [7.5B]

4. Max Reinhart [7.5C]

5. Mark Jankowski [8.0D]

6. Markus Granlund[7.5C]

7. Greg Nemisz [7.0B]

8. John Gaudreau [7.5C]

11. Roman Horak [7.0C]

14. Paul Byron [7.0C]

15. Bill Arnold [6.5B]

16. Lance Bouma [6.5B]

17. Akim Aliu [6.5C]

18. Joni Ortio [7.5D]

19. Mitch Wahl [7.0D]

20. Chris Breen [6.5C]

Not sure where you got your ratings from, but as of today the Flames ratings are:

1. Sven Baertschi - 8.0C

2. TJ Brodie - 7.0B

3. Leland Irving - 7.0B

4. Max Reinhart - 7.5C

5. Mark Jankowski - N/A

6. Markus Granlund - 7.0D

7. Greg Nemisz - 7.0B

8. John Gaudreau - 7.5D

9. Michael Ferland - 7.0D

10. Tyler Wotherspoon - 6.5D

11. Roman Horak - 6.5C

12. Laurent Broisoit - 6.0D

13. Patrick Seiloff - N/A

14. Paul Byron - 6.5B

15. Bill Arnold - 6.5C

16. Lance Bouma - 6.0C

17. Akim Aliu - 6.5D

18. Joni Ortio - 6.5D

19. Mitch Wahl - 7.0C

20. Chris Breen - 6.5B

You had most of the guys rated too high.

Not sure where you got your ratings from, but as of today the Flames ratings are:

1. Sven Baertschi - 8.0C

2. TJ Brodie - 7.0B

3. Leland Irving - 7.0B

4. Max Reinhart - 7.5C

5. Mark Jankowski - N/A

6. Markus Granlund - 7.0D

7. Greg Nemisz - 7.0B

8. John Gaudreau - 7.5D

9. Michael Ferland - 7.0D

10. Tyler Wotherspoon - 6.5D

11. Roman Horak - 6.5C

12. Laurent Broisoit - 6.0D

13. Patrick Seiloff - N/A

14. Paul Byron - 6.5B

15. Bill Arnold - 6.5C

16. Lance Bouma - 6.0C

17. Akim Aliu - 6.5D

18. Joni Ortio - 6.5D

19. Mitch Wahl - 7.0C

20. Chris Breen - 6.5B

You had most of the guys rated too high.

That was my prediction as to what it would look like come September. I say that because the Flames haven't been updated all season due to lack of a beat writer on HF. They have to get someone else who doesn't follow the Flames as well to do it. Hence why it seems some of our marks are comparatively low and why no one releases anything related to the Flames..

That was my prediction as to what it would look like come September. I say that because the Flames haven't been updated all season due to lack of a beat writer on HF. They have to get someone else who doesn't follow the Flames as well to do it. Hence why it seems some of our marks are comparatively low and why no one releases anything related to the Flames..

Sounds like a cop out. Just because someone doesn't follow the Flames specifically doesn't mean they aren't qualified to judge the quality of their prospects. I don't know what system they use to judge prospects anyways. For all I know they have 1 (or more) guy watching the OHL closely, and that's who ranks the OHL prospects. Same with the WHL, NCAA, and European, ect...

I like what Troy Ward had to say about John Gaudreau

- His puck skills are something special

- He really understands time and space

- Reminds him of Paul Kariya, Stick skills and awareness

- He looks like an elite player

- When you put him with other seasoned prospects he looks even better because he understands the simple side of the game.

Troy Ward

Hopefully this kid can get bigger over the next few years its the only knock against him. He went from last year at the draft at 5'6 141 lbs now he's 5'8 155 lbs so he is growing.

Other than that Ive heard nothing but good things about him.

Another good article about him in the link

John Gaudreau

I don't think you can project a specific roster. But you can look at the roster, contracts, and prospects and look at where we are strong and where we are weak.

The images below show my take on where the Flames are in 3-years or so. Clearly we are weak at 1C, top 6 RW, and top 2D. We have an excess of second and third line Cs and bottom 4D. We have lots of goalies as well. But in my opinion you can't have to many goalie prospects as long as you have a place for them all to play.

I am assuming Iginla signs an extension.

2nvscgw.jpg

25tgchv.jpg

I think that just ranking the prospects on where they could play would be a better idea.

LW C RW D G

Bartschi 1/2 Jankowski 1/2 Nemisz 2/3 Brodie 3/4/5 Irving 1/2

Gaudreau 1/2 Backlund 1/2/3 Aliu 3/4 Sieloff 3/4/5 Brossoit 1/2

Byron 3/4 Granlund 2 Eddy 3/4 Wotherspoon 4/5 Gillies 1/2

Ferland 2/3 Reinhart 2/3 Culkin 4/5/6 Ortio 2

Gordon 2/3 Horak 2/3/4 Kulak 4/5/6

Howse 2/3 Bouma 3/4 Ramage 4/5/6

Deblouw 3/4 Breen 5/6

I realize that nemisz plays centre and RW but I think he would be better off on the wing because we have a bigger need there. Byron and Bouma also play wing or centre. Our obvious need is on the RW and top pair defencemen.

I dont understand this thread..?

Is it like pipe dream all our prospects hit there highest potential who do you want where? I mean be realistic 3/4 or more of our guys will not break top six if they even make the nhl at all. Also eliminates any player movement between teams or what?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived