Suggestion: Draft (g) Nathan Lieuwen

Having been watching the Kootenay Ice dominate through the WHL playoffs, Nathan Lieuwen has been an interesting suprize. Although last year was his draft year, I think a we could afford a 6th round pick on him.

He has raises his game during the playoffs, and has been absolutely incredible. I also thing we are due to draft another goalie, seeing as we are likely to drop Keetley this summer. We could use another goalie in the system.

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/654

Thoughts?

yeah, he was eligible 2009. He actually was expected to go quite early but he has suffered two concussions and therefore fell off the radar. However, I think he has been healthy for a while, and being an Abbotsford native, I think giving him a chance in the AHL wouldn't hurt.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that adding another goalie to the mix is a good idea for th eFlames, but i'll pass On Lieuwen. Flames shoudl draft a goalie late that can be a projefct for them, but the problem with Lieuwen is that he has to play in the AHL next year. Unless they are going to have Irving in the NHL next year there isnt room for him.

Plus, this guy has been very underwelming as a dub goalie except for the playoffs. A 20 eyar old goalie having a good playoffs, doesn't lend itself well to the future. I think the Flames could draft someone late who could be a much better proejct than Lieuwen.

I agree that adding another goalie to the mix is a good idea for th eFlames, but i'll pass On Lieuwen. Flames shoudl draft a goalie late that can be a projefct for them, but the problem with Lieuwen is that he has to play in the AHL next year. Unless they are going to have Irving in the NHL next year there isnt room for him.

Plus, this guy has been very underwelming as a dub goalie except for the playoffs. A 20 year old goalie having a good playoffs, doesn't lend itself well to the future. I think the Flames could draft someone late who could be a much better proejct than Lieuwen.

Too be fair Cross, he was injured alot in his time in the WHL. This was really his first year of the full time #1 goalie. Im not sending this sudgestion out just cause I looked on the WHL web page and saw that Kootenay and Lieuwen were doing good. Ive watched him since the start of the playoffs. He has very good form, never gives up, and knows how to use his size in net.

As well, he would not have to play in the AHL all next year. He could very well get some time in the ECHL, and come up for injuries and see what he can do.

But if manadgement is planning on having Irving in the NHL, this would be a great move.

Too be fair Cross, he was injured alot in his time in the WHL. This was really his first year of the full time #1 goalie. Im not sending this sudgestion out just cause I looked on the WHL web page and saw that Kootenay and Lieuwen were doing good. Ive watched him since the start of the playoffs. He has very good form, never gives up, and knows how to use his size in net.

As well, he would not have to play in the AHL all next year. He could very well get some time in the ECHL, and come up for injuries and see what he can do.

But if manadgement is planning on having Irving in the NHL, this would be a great move.

I get that, and I'm nto suggesting you are just looking at stats. I don't mind brining Lieuwen into camp to compete and if he wows you go ahead, but I would rather see them draft someone. I don't see the upsdie in Lieuwen's game i see him being another Keetley that will struggle in the pros. I'm not a fan of the Flames burning a contract against their limit for him, i'd rather draft someone that that can develop.

If they want a goalie in the ECHL and Liuewen is ok for sign a minor league contract after impressing in camp sure go ahead. But thats all i'd be willing to do.

Plus, this guy has been very underwelming as a dub goalie except for the playoffs. A 20 eyar old goalie having a good playoffs, doesn't lend itself well to the future. I think the Flames could draft someone late who could be a much better proejct than Lieuwen.

Nathan isn't a 20 year old. He can still play another year in the WHL.

Signing him would be a smart move, any franchise would still have another year to let him develop and see where it goes. He's just starting to show his talents now, after his first full, healthy, season.

Yes sorry I thought I saw a 1990 birthday not 91.

so based on my understanding that means he would have to be drafted as he is still eligible as he won't be over the age of 20 by Dec 31. I'm not too thrilled about the idea of using a selection on him, so maybe if he goes undrafted they could pursue him as a UDFA.

Archived