Suggestion: Draft Benjamin Conz

im not a scout, so i cant say for certain why nobody would draft the goalie.

but i wouldnt mind using a 6th or 7th round pick on him, he seems to be a solid option.

as a side note, after this draft he is supposed to become a free agent, so alternatively if noone drafts him we could just sign him to an entry level deal, without having to use a pick on him.

There is nothing wrong with the scouts

Anyone cared to look at his stats outside the world junior? Check it out here.

I'm not oppsoed to a 7th round pick on him, but i'd prefer to try him as an UDFa. conz is a big goalie who hyas to realy increase his athletic ability to be able to suceed in the NHL. Playing behind the Swiss, who trap, all he has to do is make the first save. he doesn't make any spectacular save and he doesn't have to he's just in the right position. Thats tougher to do in the NHL.

There is a reason the top goalie in the WJC goes through a draft.

I'm not oppsoed to a 7th round pick on him, but i'd prefer to try him as an UDFa. conz is a big goalie who hyas to realy increase his athletic ability to be able to suceed in the NHL. Playing behind the Swiss, who trap, all he has to do is make the first save. he doesn't make any spectacular save and he doesn't have to he's just in the right position. Thats tougher to do in the NHL.

It would be better taking a chance on him in the 6/7th round over a plug who's upside is the ECHL. Drafted that late his EL contract would be the minimum. We could let him mature in the NLA (@ no cost) or bring him to the AHL (to see how he adapts & let our coaches work with him). It beats getting into a bidding war over him next year if he proves to be what he shows in the WJC. If he doesn't develop he's trade bait or can be released.

Lots of goalies need time to become what they're capable of. Kipper was 25 when he came to the NHL.

Cross, he also plays for the worse team of the Swiss league(a team that has never made the playoff in their history). This season, they are 5th and are on pace to make the playoffs for the first time and Conz is the reason why.

His stats look alright considering he is a teenager playing in a very competitive mens league. I also like the fact that he seems to play his best in big games. From what I have seen of Conz he is not overly big I believe he is only 5'10",but he is positionally sound not a lot of moving parts, not the most athletic but he gets around his crease pretty well, he sort of reminds me of Dustin Tokarski.

It would be better taking a chance on him in the 6/7th round over a plug who's upside is the ECHL. Drafted that late his EL contract would be the minimum. We could let him mature in the NLA (@ no cost) or bring him to the AHL (to see how he adapts & let our coaches work with him). It beats getting into a bidding war over him next year if he proves to be what he shows in the WJC. If he doesn't develop he's trade bait or can be released.

Lots of goalies need time to become what they're capable of. Kipper was 25 when he came to the NHL.

Well, IMO Conz's upside is the AHL/ECHL so I don't agree that he makes more sense than some other player. If the organization chooses to move on from Keetley I'd prefer to see them draft someone with a little more upside than Conz, but as a fall back i'm not opposd to seeing if he was available as a UDFA. flames hare pretty much right at the contract limit so i'm wary of signing a goalie just because he has an impressive world juniors.

I just dont like conz upsdie. he isn't fast enough or athletic enough to develop into much in NA. The Swiss are a trap team so they don't give up alot of chellenging plays and all conz has to do is be solid positionally and they are fine. Thats much, much harder in the pros then in juniors and 2 of the goals yesterday were becuase of poor positioning by Conz. he needs works, but IMO does't have the athletic ability. Its not about age or development IMO, its about his athletic ability.

It's not the first year he does that. Last year remember he won a game by himself against Russia and the quarterfinals, making 50 + saves. Do it once or twice not worth a look, but do it two years in a row and it's a different thing. The guy is just a wall in net, playing against teams like Russia and Canada who's players could already be NHL caliber. From what I've seen from Conz, he's definitly worth drafting. The World Juniors is very competitive and whenever a guy dominates like that he has to have something special.

JImmy Waite was amazing in net for Canada in 1988 and really was a huge reason for their succes. He did nothing in the NHL. Justin Pogge was the story of the 06 World Junior team too and everyone thought he was set for superstardom, same with Steve Mason. how about Marc Denis or al montoya?

Your right, the players are borderline NHL but what people are not keeping in mind is that conz is also playing behind borderilne NHLers who trap and play great defence. IMO, conz is alot like Pogge or Keetley. Great positional goalies that will look amazing with good teams in front of them. However, give them a so/so team and they suddently become very average. I too like the way Conz plays in big games, but its not enough to make me believe he can be anything more than an average goalie in the AHL becuase he lacks an overal athletic ability which i can virtually guarnatee is the reason he has not been drafted. Look back over the history of goalies/players that have won the best goalie/forward etc award at the world junios. its extremely rare to see them go undrafted so the scouts see something in conz that is making them not want to use a pick on. they just don't pick on him, and i'm saying that Ican see why.

Again, if the Flames are unable to land a goalie in the draft i would look at him as an UDFA pending on what his interest in playing in north america is. Thats something else to consdier.

Archived