Leland Irving Turning His Career Around

Leland Irving, it looks like he's finally back. Or finally where he was supposed to be. After struggling in the last few years, he's finally playing well, and for the first time in a bit, our farm is counting on decent goaltending.

His numbers this season :

12-7-1, 2.21, .917

I started to worry about this guy last year, but really he's been good this year. I thought goaltending was the weakest part in Abby, but apparently offence is struggling in a whole lot more right now. Good to see we may finally have something good in the near future to replace Kiprusoff, who's not getting any younger.. he's a 1st round pick after all he should be playing this way.

On the other end, Keetley is probably done as a flames. What was a promising young goaltender is now a guy who has trouble stopping pucks. 0-4-1, 3.70, .856... it's the Mike Smith of the AHL :(. He needs to turn it around now or he's done with us.

All we need is our offence to wake up now, because our boys have been terrible.

I don' think the offence needs to wake up, they need to get and stay healthy. I think last count they have at least 5 players out with injuries again. If the Heat could stay healthy they'd be much better off.

I think you have to give Irving alot of credit, and honestly I think his resiliancy is exactly why i think he is an NHL calibre goalie. I personally never worried about him, I think his attitude got hte better of him last year. But rather than complain about it, he does something about it. Remmber this is a guy that had cancer as a younging and beat it. A guy that walked into Team Canada's camp as the clear cut favorite to be the starter and didn't even make the team. He went back tot he WHL and tore it up the rest of the year. When he is giving an excuse to cut back to slide back, he doesn't.

Abbotsford Heat 1 @ Rochester Americans 0

Irving with another Shutout - Ryan Stone gets his 1st goal

Statistical Game Summary

Irving stays red-hot for Heat (theahl.com)

Abbotsford goaltender Leland Irving made 29 saves for his third shutout and league-leading 15th win of the season as the Heat began a four-game road trip with a 1-0 win over Rochester on Tuesday at the Blue Cross Arena.

It marked the Heat’s first visit to Rochester since rallying from a 3-2 series deficit to win Games 6 and 7 of the teams’ 2010 North Division

semifinal.

Ryan Stone, playing just his third game of the season, tallied the game’s only goal on the power play at 8:12 of the second period. T.J. Brodie and defenseman Keith Seabrook earned the assists on the goal by Stone, a 2008 Calder Cup finalist who played 27 games in the NHL with Edmonton last season (0-6-6).

It marked Stone’s first goal since scoring for the Springfield Falcons on Apr. 11, 2009, at Hartford.

Irving, who earned his second shutout in four appearances, improved to 15-8-1 (2.17, .916) in 26 appearances this season. The former

first-round draft pick totaled 14 victories in 35 appearances for the Heat a season ago (14-17-2).

I was just about to make a topic about this after tonights Abbotsford game...

Irving just picked up his 3rd Shutout in a 1-0 win tonight. It was his 3rd of the year. He has the second most, only behind the rookie Jake Allen's 4. As well as picking up his 15th league leading win of the season.

The most interesting thing about that for me is that his record last year was 14-17-2. He has completely turned it around. And I thought those were some interesting points Cross. He has just shown resiliance at every turn. I think next year is going to get interesting, no matter which direction the Flames decide to take next season. He will deffinatly be in the running for the back-up job, and seems to have what it takes in the coconut to be an NHL starter.

Yeah. He leads the league in wins, he's got 15 that's 2 more than anybody. He's second in shutouts with 3. He's top 10 in GAA/Save %. He's been AHL's best, or at least most consistent goaltender right now. You can argue, but he's certainly been in the top 3. Jake Allen and Martin Jones have been awesome too. Could Kipper's replacement be found within our own organisation? I would of never thought so to be honest..

• 3 weeks later...

Archived