Louis23

If you don't like it you don't have to come on this thread. At the same time, if I go on other Flames threads I don't say anything inflammatory. I just put in my two cents and move on.

Somewhere along the road to putting in your two cents, you forgot the "Move along" part. 49 posts alone in this thread and still counting. Is this the same logic you use as your vision of Oilers "Rebuilding".

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was talking about other threads.

If you don't like this thread you are more than welcome to ignore it.

If you don't like it you don't have to come on this thread. At the same time, if I go on other Flames threads I don't say anything inflammatory. I just put in my two cents and move on.

Twice now you have inferred I don't like this thread. Where have I ever said anything remotely close to "I don't like this thread"?

Yeah, you never did see the Cup winning Oilers as you weren't even a gleam in your daddy's eye.

Twisting your recent picks to compare to the stars on that team based on your dreams is denigrating a fantastic team.

Fuhr/Moog >>>>> Habby/Dubnyk. Coffey >>> then the entire current Oiler D.

Comparing Eberle/Hall/RHN to Gretzky/Kurri/Messier doesn't even merit an answer.

The Flames didn't send their GM to beg, & when that failed, kiss someone's butt (see Heatley).

WOW.

Does it bother you that the Oilers have a bunch of up and coming players?

I'm not sure if listening to the radio puts old men like you to sleep but if you manage to maintain consciousness try listening to a quality radio show, Oilers Now on 630 CHED. They actually have a guy who knows what he's talking about named Bob Stauffer. You might get angry and confued if you don't take your meds before hand but there is a lot of similarities between said players. They also bring up the Flames every once in a while but that's probably when you throw your cane at the radio because you won't like what they say.

Didn't Feaster fall on his knees last off season? (Richards)

Twice now you have inferred I don't like this thread. Where have I ever said anything remotely close to "I don't like this thread"?

I'm inferring that because you have told me to leave the forum. If I leave the thread will pretty much die since I am the one opposing voice.

Internet threads don't last to long when everyone agrees.

Bob Stauffer was great... emphasizing on "was" because 630 Ched is a joke. It's gone down hill ever since Rod left and I choose to ignore that station and if I miss games then I miss games because the commentating on there is horrid.

If you want to listen to a good talk radio show then go to 1260. I prefer to listen to Brownlee, Jason and that annoying voice chick.

WOW.

I'm not sure if listening to the radio puts old men like you to sleep but if you manage to maintain consciousness try listening to a quality radio show, Oilers Now on 630 CHED. They actually have a guy who knows what he's talking about named Bob Stauffer. You might get angry and confued if you don't take your meds before hand but there is a lot of similarities between said players. They also bring up the Flames every once in a while but that's probably when you throw your cane at the radio because you won't like what they say.

Didn't Feaster fall on his knees last off season? (Richards)

I'm inferring that because you have told me to leave the forum. If I leave the thread will pretty much die since I am the one opposing voice.

Internet threads don't last to long when everyone agrees.

FF52 is one of the more respectable and hockey smart posters on these boards. You can say whatever you want about the guy but nobody can argue he knows his stuff. Anyway, Why would anyone who's not an Oiler fanboy willfully listen to an Oiler biased radio show? Quite honestly, if they're making any comparisons of the present Oilers

team with that of the eighties Oilers, Nobody should be listening to it. I've never been an Oiler fan but that team was legendary. Today's Oilers, not so much. I guess if doing his job by putting on offer in on a much needed centre was falling on his knees, then I hope Feaster has knee pads and doesn't plan on standing for a while.

Bob Stauffer was great... emphasizing on "was" because 630 Ched is a joke. It's gone down hill ever since Rod left and I choose to ignore that station and if I miss games then I miss games because the commentating on there is horrid.

If you want to listen to a good talk radio show then go to 1260. I prefer to listen to Brownlee, Jason and that annoying voice chick.

I listen to both 630 and 1260 and I even started listening to podcasts of the fan 960.

Stauffer is by far the best radio guy and he might be the best guy following hockey in all of the media. TEAM 1260 is pretty good but none of the hosts compare to Stauffer. What I've heard from the fan 960 podcasts is nowhere close to Edmonton's hockey radio.

I don't want to startle or upset you, but radio stations are about ratings. And if hyping the Oilers to an Edmonton audience gets them ratings, then good for them. Clearly there is at least one listener who is soaking it up.

But like old FF52, I was around to watch the Oiler juggernaut of the 80s, and I was a big fan. I don't expect you to take my opinion any more seriously than you take FF's, but I can tell you as someone who has been studying the game since Orr played that there is absolutely no grounds whatsoever to attempt to compare today's kids with Gretsky, Kurri and Messier. Absolutely none (other than the fact that they wear the same uniform).

Anyone - including your radio station - that claims any kind of similarity, or tries to make comparisons in order to build hype for the current team, is only embarrassing themselves.

The only thing that the organization can sell the fans these days is hype - and they are selling lots of it. Clearly, you're a buyer.

Stauffer is by far the best radio guy and he might be the best guy following hockey in all of the media. TEAM 1260 is pretty good but none of the hosts compare to Stauffer. What I've heard from the fan 960 podcasts is nowhere close to Edmonton's hockey radio.

:lol:

Keep it coming, this is fun!

RNH... is he hurt again long term?

He definitely has the talent and skill to be great.. but he doesn't have a NHL body yet to take the NHL grind.

Hopefully for his sake this shoulder doesn't become a reoccurring injury. Would be a shame.

He definitely has the talent and skill to be great.. but he doesn't have a NHL body yet to take the NHL grind.

Hopefully for his sake this shoulder doesn't become a reoccurring injury. Would be a shame.

I think that a 2nd shoulder injury this quickly is definitely reason for concern. Problem shoulders can be cronic.

For me though, this illustrates one of the problems I have with Oiler management... they have thrown the kids out to the wolves with no protection, no supporting cast, nothing. "Just go out there boys and score some goals so that the fans will have something to cheer about."

If you want to play a tiny 18 year old, you need to protect him and take care of him. When Gretzky hit the league, Semenko was there to keep him safe.

RNH is too good to be in junior, but I think he should have two big bruising wingers to play with. There is plenty of time in the future to try and put him, Eberle and Hall together, but what is the point of doing so now? It's not like it's helping them in the standings.

This is what can happen when management makes the decision that a young player has the skill so sends him to war with men.

FF52 is one of the more respectable and hockey smart posters on these boards. You can say whatever you want about the guy but nobody can argue he knows his stuff. Anyway, Why would anyone who's not an Oiler fanboy willfully listen to an Oiler biased radio show? Quite honestly, if they're making any comparisons of the present Oilers

team with that of the eighties Oilers, Nobody should be listening to it. I've never been an Oiler fan but that team was legendary. Today's Oilers, not so much. I guess if doing his job by putting on offer in on a much needed centre was falling on his knees, then I hope Feaster has knee pads and doesn't plan on standing for a while.

Well I am not at all a Flames fan but I still listen to their podcasts from time to time to see their perspective on their team. The fan 960 has nothing on Oilers Now with bob Stauffer.

I will take Stauffer's view any day of the week over anyone on these message boards.

I don't want to startle or upset you, but radio stations are about ratings. And if hyping the Oilers to an Edmonton audience gets them ratings, then good for them. Clearly there is at least one listener who is soaking it up.

But like old FF52, I was around to watch the Oiler juggernaut of the 80s, and I was a big fan. I don't expect you to take my opinion any more seriously than you take FF's, but I can tell you as someone who has been studying the game since Orr played that there is absolutely no grounds whatsoever to attempt to compare today's kids with Gretsky, Kurri and Messier. Absolutely none (other than the fact that they wear the same uniform).

Anyone - including your radio station - that claims any kind of similarity, or tries to make comparisons in order to build hype for the current team, is only embarrassing themselves.

The only thing that the organization can sell the fans these days is hype - and they are selling lots of it. Clearly, you're a buyer.

:lol:

Keep it coming, this is fun!

Have you ever listened to his show? He is 1000 times more informed than any Calgary personality. Stauffer has other teams GMs and scouts on his show weekly.

If you want to get some actual hokcey info, listen to Stauffer on Oilers Now 630 CHED. If you want a fluffy, no hockey knowledge show, listen to the fan 960.

I think that a 2nd shoulder injury this quickly is definitely reason for concern. Problem shoulders can be cronic.

For me though, this illustrates one of the problems I have with Oiler management... they have thrown the kids out to the wolves with no protection, no supporting cast, nothing. "Just go out there boys and score some goals so that the fans will have something to cheer about."

If you want to play a tiny 18 year old, you need to protect him and take care of him. When Gretzky hit the league, Semenko was there to keep him safe.

RNH is too good to be in junior, but I think he should have two big bruising wingers to play with. There is plenty of time in the future to try and put him, Eberle and Hall together, but what is the point of doing so now? It's not like it's helping them in the standings.

I agree. Smyth is a bigger veteran body but he isn't a bruiser. Oilers need more toughness on the wing.

This is what can happen when management makes the decision that a young player has the skill so sends him to war with men.

He's too good for junior. Oilers should have given him more time to heal.

Have you ever listened to his show? He is 1000 times more informed than any Calgary personality. Stauffer has other teams GMs and scouts on his show weekly.

If you want to get some actual hokcey info, listen to Stauffer on Oilers Now 630 CHED. If you want a fluffy, no hockey knowledge show, listen to the fan 960.

I have yes, though not often.

My point is that it is a radio show. Radio is media. Media is ratings. People seem to be under the impression that the purpose of media is to inform. The purpose of media is to generate viewership/readership/listenership.

Knock yourself out with it, that's fine. But don't come on here claiming that Stauffer (or anyone for that matter) knows more about hockey than anyone else does.

WOW.

The fact Edmonton has high picks that will likely develop in to good players doesn't bother me @ all. Seeing those high picks being compared to HHOFers does. If this Stauffer guy compares them to the '80s Oilers he's not worth listening to.

You obviously had no answer so you resorted to exaggerating my age & health. Well little boy, look up the accomplishments by Gretz, Kurri & Messier & you'll see how big a chasm there is between the talent level of those 3 & your precious 1s. The only similarity is the location & that none spent time in the AHL. The 1s with the '80s Oiler made the team on merit, this crop is being rushed because there is little talent on the rest of the team.

To give you a starting point, Gretzky won his 1st scoring title @ 19 (& set a record for assists).

You might want to buy a disc of the '80s Oilers & find out why even fans of opposing teams admired them. That team was largely comprised of future HHOFers (& they merited the inductions).

You might stop believing a radio announcer & do your own comparison.

This injury aggravating the 1 just 5 weeks ago is a cause for concern. If surgery is recommended to repair the damage he might as well have it now rather then the off-season. Chancing further injury by playing & postponing only adds to recovery/non-practice time. His playing now won't get the Oilers into the playoffs & his absence will help them get that 1/1 pick they covet.

Hopefully this is something that can be corrected rather then risk ruining a talented player by having him in meaningless games.

I have yes, though not often.

My point is that it is a radio show. Radio is media. Media is ratings. People seem to be under the impression that the purpose of media is to inform. The purpose of media is to generate viewership/readership/listenership.

Knock yourself out with it, that's fine. But don't come on here claiming that Stauffer (or anyone for that matter) knows more about hockey than anyone else does.

If 52 talks to GMs and scouts while being on the road with a NHL team on daily basis then maybe he does know more.

I'm not saying he has no clue about hockey, I'm saying that some people are more on the "in" than others and I'll take the word of the guy who is on the "in" before an outsider.

The fact Edmonton has high picks that will likely develop in to good players doesn't bother me @ all. Seeing those high picks being compared to HHOFers does. If this Stauffer guy compares them to the '80s Oilers he's not worth listening to.

You obviously had no answer so you resorted to exaggerating my age & health. Well little boy, look up the accomplishments by Gretz, Kurri & Messier & you'll see how big a chasm there is between the talent level of those 3 & your precious 1s. The only similarity is the location & that none spent time in the AHL. The 1s with the '80s Oiler made the team on merit, this crop is being rushed because there is little talent on the rest of the team.

To give you a starting point, Gretzky won his 1st scoring title @ 19 (& set a record for assists).

You might want to buy a disc of the '80s Oilers & find out why even fans of opposing teams admired them. That team was largely comprised of future HHOFers (& they merited the inductions).

You might stop believing a radio announcer & do your own comparison.

No players in this era will match the offensive totals of the 80's Oilers. It's other comparisons like RNH's vision and Hall's tenacity that is drawing the comparison.

If 52 talks to GMs and scouts while being on the road with a NHL team on daily basis then maybe he does know more.

I'm not saying he has no clue about hockey, I'm saying that some people are more on the "in" than others and I'll take the word of the guy who is on the "in" before an outsider.

No players in this era will match the offensive totals of the 80's Oilers. It's other comparisons like RNH's vision and Hall's tenacity that is drawing the comparison.

He might interview GMs, but the only reason he is comparing RNH to Gretzky is as hype - or he's a joke. And good luck to you if you are buying it.

You know scouts compared RNH's vision to Gretzky's in RNH's draft year.

& scouts said Alexandre Daigle was a "can't miss" player. :lol: That's when he said "I'm glad I was drafted 1st, because no one remembers #2".

Ottawa admitted ditching games to get this guy.

& Daigle was right. No one remembers that Chris Pronger was #2 & Paul Kariya was #4.

5 teams gave him a shot as a project they might be able to salvage. Yet, his best season was 51 points.

& scouts said Alexandre Daigle was a "can't miss" player. :lol: That's when he said "I'm glad I was drafted 1st, because no one remembers #2".

Ottawa admitted ditching games to get this guy.

& Daigle was right. No one remembers that Chris Pronger was #2 & Paul Kariya was #4.

5 teams gave him a shot as a project they might be able to salvage. Yet, his best season was 51 points.

Many scouts also said:

Ovechkin will be an elite goal scorer

Crosby will be a generational talent

Kane will be an electrifying player

Stamkos has an amazing one timer

You can be begrudging and resentful about what scouts say about Oiler players but more often than not they know what they're talking about.

You're just coming off as real bitter on the inside. Lighten up pal :)

Can we all get away from what the scouts said please... its relatively irrelevant at this point since we can/are all watching it play out in front of our eyes.

Just focus on the product we're seeing on the ice at the moment and discuss that.

Eberle - stud

Hall - definitely solid.

RNH - elite level skill, talent, vision... but injury troubles.

At the moment - extremely promising.

I'll leave my thoughts on the comparisons to the Oilers of the '80's alone... but i understand a starving market looking for something to look forward to..

It will be interesting to see how the Oilers play out in the coming yrs...

At the moment... i do not fear their potential as a rival fan (outside their highly likely elite level PP in the making - already 3rd this yr)..

I'll wait till they get a blue chipper in net and a couple on the backend before expecting them to make the playoffs..

Many scouts also said:

Ovechkin will be an elite goal scorer

Crosby will be a generational talent

Kane will be an electrifying player

Stamkos has an amazing one timer

You can be begrudging and resentful about what scouts say about Oiler players but more often than not they know what they're talking about.

You're just coming off as real bitter on the inside. Lighten up pal :)

Daigle was drafted 1993. The players you mention are all recently drafted. I dunno if you ever looked up any draft from the 90s but those were HORRIBLE. The scouts are partly to blame but there was just nobody good enough.

Now we see kids coming in and they're hyped as crumbs. I say this because I'm also one of the hypers. That being said, you gotta temper expectations. Nobody said Kane WILL be an electrifying player, they said he could be. So many questions about his size, his grit and his defensive play. Crosby looks good now, but had he pulled a Daigle and busted it would look even worse. Hindsight is 20/20. Stamkos has an amazing onetimer sure, that didn't stop the Lightning from mishandling his rookie season and it sure has heck didn't guarantee him to ever be an impact NHLer. Ovechkin has tailed off, and everything the scouts said would be issues - team play, predictability, hockey sense, recklessness - has really shown up now.

It's no different with the Oilers prospects. Everyone of them has question marks, rarely do any prospects NOT have any (Crosby was arguably the most complete player drafted ever, and he's still the only one). Hall has Ovie issues with hockey sense and recklessness, RNH has size and durability issues, Paajarvi's scoring touch is questionable until proven otherwise, Omark's NHL projectability is still up in the air. Eberle is probably the most complete player of the bunch, but Datsyuk is even more skilled in every way and hasn't ever put up 100 points, so to say Eberle will notch that much is borderline criminal.

They're good players. But 90+ point upside? There are only so many minutes to give out up front. I don't know how many people in Edmonton really believe the hypetrain, but I can tell you that no scout would believe that the young Oilers are anywhere near Gretzky/Kurri/Anderson/Messier levels. You're right in that scouts nowadays know what they are doing. That's why you keep an eye on more than just the positives that NHL.com likes to put out, because insignificant weaknesses can and will snowball if left untouched.

He's too good for junior. Oilers should have given him more time to heal.

Maybe you sell your AHL short. What is wrong with your Barons? He could have torn it up with them this year and got into a mindset of winning, something he is not being taught with the Oilers.

- You tell your players it is okay to lose, because we get high draft picks and we are rebuilding.

- You tell your club it is okay to lose we have lots of injuries. You are really making excuses for your team to lose and showing them it is okay.(Not you Conner, Your teams management and coaches are all telling and showing your team it is okay to lose .)

- You tell your fans don't worry this is a slow total rebuild so expect us to lose.

Then again if they did not play him on the Oilers, like Hall last year well what would the Oilers be saying this year? I know there would be shouts to fire everyone from top down without your draft picks to watch.... well watch when healthy.

Can we all get away from what the scouts said please... its relatively irrelevant at this point since we can/are all watching it play out in front of our eyes.

Just focus on the product we're seeing on the ice at the moment and discuss that.

Eberle - stud

Hall - definitely solid.

RNH - elite level skill, talent, vision... but injury troubles.

At the moment - extremely promising.

I'll leave my thoughts on the comparisons to the Oilers of the '80's alone... but i understand a starving market looking for something to look forward to..

It will be interesting to see how the Oilers play out in the coming yrs...

At the moment... i do not fear their potential as a rival fan (outside their highly likely elite level PP in the making - already 3rd this yr)..

I'll wait till they get a blue chipper in net and a couple on the backend before expecting them to make the playoffs..

I'm not sure if Oilers pass up on Grigorenko if they draft #2.

Oilers have a lot fo decent defensive prospects but nothing compared to RNH, Hall and Eberle. Pittsburgh managed to win the cup without a name defensive core. The Rangers are trying the same thing. Every defenceman on the Rangers is making under 4. I guess you can also say the Canucks have no all star defencemen.

I'm not sure if I'd like the Oilers to go best player available or best defenceman available.

Daigle was drafted 1993. The players you mention are all recently drafted. I dunno if you ever looked up any draft from the 90s but those were HORRIBLE. The scouts are partly to blame but there was just nobody good enough.

Now we see kids coming in and they're hyped as crumbs. I say this because I'm also one of the hypers. That being said, you gotta temper expectations. Nobody said Kane WILL be an electrifying player, they said he could be. So many questions about his size, his grit and his defensive play. Crosby looks good now, but had he pulled a Daigle and busted it would look even worse. Hindsight is 20/20. Stamkos has an amazing onetimer sure, that didn't stop the Lightning from mishandling his rookie season and it sure has heck didn't guarantee him to ever be an impact NHLer. Ovechkin has tailed off, and everything the scouts said would be issues - team play, predictability, hockey sense, recklessness - has really shown up now.

It's no different with the Oilers prospects. Everyone of them has question marks, rarely do any prospects NOT have any (Crosby was arguably the most complete player drafted ever, and he's still the only one). Hall has Ovie issues with hockey sense and recklessness, RNH has size and durability issues, Paajarvi's scoring touch is questionable until proven otherwise, Omark's NHL projectability is still up in the air. Eberle is probably the most complete player of the bunch, but Datsyuk is even more skilled in every way and hasn't ever put up 100 points, so to say Eberle will notch that much is borderline criminal.

They're good players. But 90+ point upside? There are only so many minutes to give out up front. I don't know how many people in Edmonton really believe the hypetrain, but I can tell you that no scout would believe that the young Oilers are anywhere near Gretzky/Kurri/Anderson/Messier levels. You're right in that scouts nowadays know what they are doing. That's why you keep an eye on more than just the positives that NHL.com likes to put out, because insignificant weaknesses can and will snowball if left untouched.

Didn't Daigle want to become an actor? I don't think Daigle's heart was in it and that's why he flopped. If he was 100% committed it might have turned out different.

I'm starting to question the Oilers medical staff. RNH didn't have injury issues in junior, this was the first time in his career he was injured. Hall is balls to the wall but he has 1000 times the heart the Ovie has. I've never seen Paajarvi as a scorer but he still has that possible upside. I just have a feeling that he is going to be a top point producer. He's in the top 10 in points per game now when he's not playing a lot of minutes and doesn't have the best defence getting him the puck. Who knows with Omark.

I'm not saying that the current group of Oilers will reach anything close to the 80's Oilers point totals. There are similarities between the two groups in the way they play and what they bring to the team.

Whatever the Oilers have in RNH, Hall and Eberle, they need to find a way to protect them in today's NHL. The tough guy is almost extinct. The Oilers need to find the next Lucic.

Archived