Louis23

8 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Last season we saw an Oilers team that really overachieved, tons of players had career years. That hasn't happened so far this season, everyone has regressed back to their career norms. Their offence is too top heavy, very little scoring depth and they need another top 4 D. All bias aside, I was very surprised the media had them pegged as cup favorites this season. Panic is setting in for Oilers fans... 

It's desperate only in the minds of the coach and the realist fans.  The players seem to be having fun out there.  All except a couple of players.  Some of the kool-ade drinkers believe that it's early, they lost 5 in a row in the middle of the season last year, no panic.  I've hear a few players say the same thing.  The truth is that the Bettman point makes it very difficult to gain position on teams ahead of you.

Unfortunately, Chia believed that what he saw last year was just the tip of the iceberg, and that everything else would be gravy.  Sold away part of the roast to buy a crumble cake for dessert.  And part of the main course had freezer burn.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

It's desperate only in the minds of the coach and the realist fans.  The players seem to be having fun out there.  All except a couple of players.  Some of the kool-ade drinkers believe that it's early, they lost 5 in a row in the middle of the season last year, no panic.  I've hear a few players say the same thing.  The truth is that the Bettman point makes it very difficult to gain position on teams ahead of you.

Unfortunately, Chia believed that what he saw last year was just the tip of the iceberg, and that everything else would be gravy.  Sold away part of the roast to buy a crumble cake for dessert.  And part of the main course had freezer burn.

I look forward to next season when all the cap space disappears. PC will sign Maroon at 3.5/4 for 5/6yrs, yet another terrible signing. All Oilers fans I know think they will have no trouble flipping Russell the 4mill 5th D with an NMC... Bye bye Nuge?

I've been hearing a new rumour for a year now that Edmonton got a new hockey team but I haven't seen them play yet. I also heard in order to help pay for McJesus' and DraJesus' contracts, that Katz has been dressing up like a homeless man and asking for handouts and that Ovechkin gave him some clothes. I also heard that they had a parade in Edmonton but it was really only Lucic skating down the road very slowly with no sign of where he was going. I'll wait to get confirmation from Elliott on these rumours. Stay tuned.    

Wow, 3-7-1.  Given how worried some of the Flames posters are with our 6-6 record, how apocalyptic must it be over on the Oilers boards?  I hate to say it (not really), but the oilers window for winning may have already closed.  Here are the many problems:

1. Traded away a top tier scoring forward (Hall) for a second Tier defenseman.  Ask yourself who you would rather have: Brodie, Hamonic, or Larsson?  Larsson is a good number 3 guy on most teams, and would probably be playing third pairing on our team.

2. Signed Lucic for 6X6.  Insane signing from day one, given the style of play and age of the player.  He had a slow start last season and had his stats saved by the PP, which has not happened this year so far.  It all down hill from here for Lucic, and it already looks bad.

3. Traded a decent scoring top 6 forward for a under-performing prospect with limited (bottom 6) upside.  Eberle could score, Strome can't.  Pure cap dump. See Lucic, above.

4. Cam Talbot is human.  Last season the guy played over 70 games with a .919 Sv% and a 2.39 GAA.  This year he is .904 and 3.1.  I expect he will improve, but great goaltending papered over some of this team's weaknesses last year.

4. Defense (still). Klefbom is slumping after a career year last year.  Larsson is not a top tier defender, but is the best they have.  Sekera is hurt.  Russel is a bottom pairing defender playing top 4.  Gryba.  About the only positive this season is Nurse seems to be rounding into form a bit.

5.  Depth.  As mentioned by others, who do they have who can reasonably be expected to score after Draisaitl and McDavid? Nuge is trending down offensively, Lucic has lost his hands, strome was never that good, so who do other teams have to fear? Maroon? Slepyshev? Yamamoto has not been the answer yet, and Puiliarvi is not ready.

6. Cap crunch.  Next year will be hell, and this is the downside to winning the lottery.  Between McDavid and Draisaitl, the oilers will be spending 21 million next year.  The flames will be spending 21.125 million on Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Frolik, Bennett, Ferland.  Sure, they have the best player, maybe the second best player.  But we have 2 lines worth of decent players for the same price.  The oilers currently have just over 60 million committed to players next season, and only have 6 forwards signed for next year.  The will need to sign a minimum of 6 forwards, 1 defenseman (Nurse, who needs a raise), and a back-up goalie.  Realistically they will want a 13th forward and a 7th defenseman, so that is 10 players for ~15 million dollars.  Assuming Nurse probably gets ~3 million next year (assuming he continues trending up), that's 12 million for 9 players, most of them forwards.  So the bottom 6 will be made up of players making less than 2 million each, which means rookies and pluggers from free agency.  Good luck with that one!

It happens when you burn a year (contract and UFA year) but don't use them the entire season.  Draisaitl was an overpay from day 1.  He hasn't earned that salary yet.  He is trending towards being a top 3 RW, but is being paid like a top 3 center.  

Some fans are very excited about Bear and Jones, but they didn't stand out any more than some of our lesser D prospects.  Other than that, Puljujarvi and Yam are their two big prospects. 

An old measuring stick is if 4 points out of contention by American Thanksgiving odds of even making the playoffs are very slim. That's 20 days away & the Oilers are 7 away from a wild card.

The Oilers play teams ahead of them (meaning everyone but the Coyotes) 11 times starting tonight. Could be tough considering even an OT win only advances a team 1 point in conference (although only 4 of those are).

SN has a Montreal/Edmonton specific piece about play off hopes dying in November. # based but still interesting.

From the odd look @ the Oilers MB & HF I see 2 schools of thought. The main 1 is denial & the other about tanking bad enough to get yet another 1st OA in Dahlin.

18 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

An old measuring stick is if 4 points out of contention by American Thanksgiving odds of even making the playoffs are very slim. That's 20 days away & the Oilers are 7 away from a wild card.

The Oilers play teams ahead of them (meaning everyone but the Coyotes) 11 times starting tonight. Could be tough considering even an OT win only advances a team 1 point in conference (although only 4 of those are).

SN has a Montreal/Edmonton specific piece about play off hopes dying in November. # based but still interesting.

From the odd look @ the Oilers MB & HF I see 2 schools of thought. The main 1 is denial & the other about tanking bad enough to get yet another 1st OA in Dahlin.

Someone on radio said of the next 4 games that 3 of them are against eberle and hall. How fitting would thay be to have those two kill the oiler season this early.

1 hour ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Last year we were in that boat.  It was a little bit different due to the WCH, but we were fighting it.  I think we were definitely out by the actual day.  So, my point is that the Oilers are fast approaching that win or fail point.  I think I read somewhere that the Oilers needed to win 2/3 of their remaining games to reach 100 points.  .667 winning record.  We aren't that much ahead, but we have at least tied a lot of West teams for the time being.  

A lot of Oilers' fans were proudly touting how they now have their own version of Johnny Hockey. He is, of course, Kailer Yamamoto. How is that working out for them at this point? With 3 points in 8 games and a -2, he better hurry up to put a patent on "Kailer Hockey" before someone else does. Yeah, a real Johnny Hockey up there. :lol:

Shut out at home by Mrazek. McMoney and Drai only had 3 shots between them and Lucic didn't even get a shot on net. Weird McMoney only played 16 minutes and they rolled all 4 lines. They have tied their season long winning streak 3 times, unfortunately that season high winning streak is 1.  Bahaha. It brings me great joy and with cap hell just around the corner this can only get worse. 

4-8-1

The Oilers aren't as good as they showed last season, and aren't as bad as they're showing this season. They're somewhere in the middle. Still, I'll enjoy the turmoil they're in right now. Maybe all those fans who were gloating about the Edmonton winning streak against Calgary (including sports beyond hockey) can hang their hats on that for a while. 

Unless an indoor little league soccer team ruined that streak already of course. 

2 hours ago, lou44291 said:

The Oilers aren't as good as they showed last season, and aren't as bad as they're showing this season. They're somewhere in the middle. Still, I'll enjoy the turmoil they're in right now. Maybe all those fans who were gloating about the Edmonton winning streak against Calgary (including sports beyond hockey) can hang their hats on that for a while. 

Unless an indoor little league soccer team ruined that streak already of course. 

What I saw of the Oilers last year was unsustainable.  Yes, they have talent.  Yes, they have a real good goalie.  But they traded in speed for grit.  They have a couple of players that can fly, but rely on grit to force turnovers.  Orange Crush is the mantra because they hated getting dominated physically.  They relied on career years from unexpected players.  

So, they placed the blame of losing in the playoff on Pouliot (good on PK) and Eberle (fast and can score 20+), yet only managed to keep the same players (minus those two) and pay more for Russell.  Now, they struggle to score and have trouble keeping the puck out of the net on PK.  

Draisaitl is a great young player, but he is yet to establish himself as a top 6 center.  As McDavid's winger, if you shut down that line, you shut down 97% of the offense.  Very little scoring from the backend.  They weren't much better last year.

One would expect Chia to make a panicked trade soon enough.  Lack of depth past the top 6 is pretty obvious.  They don't have a cupboard full of prospects, only picks.  

Nobody is going to trade them a Duchene.  Might be able to get a Demers for Nuge.

That's not really going to help them.  

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

One would expect Chia to make a panicked trade soon enough.  Lack of depth past the top 6 is pretty obvious.  They don't have a cupboard full of prospects, only picks.  

Nobody is going to trade them a Duchene.  Might be able to get a Demers for Nuge.

That's not really going to help them.  

Yep, I'm with you there TD.

It's funny I read a penguins article about Duchene making his way to Ottawa, and they were saying they're more concerned about Chia panicking and sending Nouge to divisional opponent for scraps. :) 

43 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Yep, I'm with you there TD.

It's funny I read a penguins article about Duchene making his way to Ottawa, and they were saying they're more concerned about Chia panicking and sending Nouge to divisional opponent for scraps. :) 

Shouldn't read HB, my friend.  Some guys may have insight, but others are disguised that way.  

I think you will see Nurse traded before Nuge, personally.  He's not a 1st OV, so he should bring back a decent 3rd or 4th liner.  Just what they need.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Shouldn't read HB, my friend.  Some guys may have insight, but others are disguised that way.  

I think you will see Nurse traded before Nuge, personally.  He's not a 1st OV, so he should bring back a decent 3rd or 4th liner.  Just what they need.

Thanks TD, I'm well aware. I read it for entertainment value. Though, I have to say I enjoy reading Todd Cordell's articles on the flames. He seems to offer some legitimate insight and perspective and doesn't create rumors of his own. 

Nurse eh? I thought he's been one of their more consistent defensemen. Though I wouldn't put it past Chiarelli to get poor value in the trade. Seems to be his MO lol

12 minutes ago, lou44291 said:

Thanks TD, I'm well aware. I read it for entertainment value. Though, I have to say I enjoy reading Todd Cordell's articles on the flames. He seems to offer some legitimate insight and perspective and doesn't create rumors of his own. 

Nurse eh? I thought he's been one of their more consistent defensemen. Though I wouldn't put it past Chiarelli to get poor value in the trade. Seems to be his MO lol

Not being condescending.  BTW, Cordell is originally a NJ blogger, so a lot of his stuff is after the fact and maybe a regurgitation of other people's stuff.  I like reading his blogs in case I missed anything elsewhere.

Nurse was a previous ask in another trade.  He balked then.  I brought him up because he's one of the few on that team with value.  Nuge does, but they only have one center on the team really.  They refuse to play Draisaitl on his own line.  Maybe because he's a better winger.  And because they have no other scoring.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Not being condescending.  BTW, Cordell is originally a NJ blogger, so a lot of his stuff is after the fact and maybe a regurgitation of other people's stuff.  I like reading his blogs in case I missed anything elsewhere.

Nurse was a previous ask in another trade.  He balked then.  I brought him up because he's one of the few on that team with value.  Nuge does, but they only have one center on the team really.  They refuse to play Draisaitl on his own line.  Maybe because he's a better winger.  And because they have no other scoring.

I didn't think you were being condescending TD - no worries, all good. :) 

I see what you mean - Nurse and Nuge have value to other teams, but they'd be creating another hole by trading either of them to address current holes. 

Another loss tonight although it was a shootout loss. As they say a field goal in football is 3 points closer to a loss, an extra time loss in hockey is one point closer to golfing at the end of the regular season. Lol. Again they only scored one goal and are now the lowest scoring team in the league. Is this just an apparition yet or is 17 games a good sample size??? Will Sekera be their saviour or will it be too late by the time he returns? 

29 minutes ago, CBTC-FLAMES-EDITION said:

Another loss tonight although it was a shootout loss. As they say a field goal in football is 3 points closer to a loss, an extra time loss in hockey is one point closer to golfing at the end of the regular season. Lol. Again they only scored one goal and are now the lowest scoring team in the league. Is this just an apparition yet or is 17 games a good sample size??? Will Sekera be their saviour or will it be too late by the time he returns? 

The thing with the Oilers is they have played well defensively of late and yeah Sekera will help with that, but they can't score. I love how they have this "generational talent" and yet they rank last in the league in scoring.

15 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

The thing with the Oilers is they have played well defensively of late and yeah Sekera will help with that, but they can't score. I love how they have this "generational talent" and yet they rank last in the league in scoring.

I am pretty sure they are missing Eberle and Hall's point contributions.

Hall is leading the devils with 17 points. Those who said they won the trade for Larsson well not this year... Hall would be 2nd in team scoring only 2 points behind McJesus.

Eberle has been freed of his chains too. 13 points would also be 2nd in scoring for Oilers(assuming Hall was not there).

McJesus has 19 points and then a big drop off from there. RNH is 2nd for Oilers and making a good chance he will be traded while worth something more than just a 1st overall pick.

The Oilers D still suck and their brick wall of a goalie has been anything but....

Archived