Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gilbert gone???

Oh Yes!!!!! YES!!!!! YEEESSSS!!!!!

While the return isn't impressive and we lost a bit of offense now.... wait... It's Gilbert, who are we kidding?? This is the best year we got out of Tom... enough said.

I'm sorry to say Tom, but your vampire ways are no longer appreciated by the good people of the northern semi-permanent darkness...

You Oilers fan still have faith in your management team?

Out - Gilbert

In - Schultz

Straight up.

Awaiting the explanation on this one by Connor and unrefined with baited breath. To me it looks about right value for Gilbert... but I know how overvalued he was by Oiler fan.

Gilbert, 4th rounder in 2002

Born Jan 10 1983 -- Bloomington, MN

Height 6.03 -- Weight 206 -- Shoots R

A 30-40 pt 2-way dman, $4mil/yr

Schultz, 2nd rounder in 200

Born Aug 25 1982 -- Strasbourg, SASK

Height 6.01 -- Weight 200 -- Shoots L

A 10-15pts defensive dman, $3.5mil

Edm got more defensive. Which they needed. They save $5ooK/yr...

You get the gist of it.

I'm sorry to say Tom, but your vampire ways are no longer appreciated by the good people of the northern semi-permanent darkness...

Edmonton actually is the second highest city for most hours of sunlight in a given year.

Gilbert gone???

Oh Yes!!!!! YES!!!!! YEEESSSS!!!!!

While the return isn't impressive and we lost a bit of offense now.... wait... It's Gilbert, who are we kidding?? This is the best year we got out of Tom... enough said.

It was a good trade.

The #1 priority for the Oilers now IMO is to get two right hand shot defencemen. One offensive and one defensive.

Defence next year:

Whitney-?

Smid-Petry

Schultz-?

EXTRA:Sutton-Potter

Edmonton actually is the second highest city for most hours of sunlight in a given year.

Defence next year:

Whitney-?

Smid-Petry

Schultz-?

EXTRA:Sutton-Potter

Oh really, I actually didn't know that. That's great for Tom, he can stop applying whole bottles of suntan lotion per day now and use like 2/3rds of a bottle instead down in Minny. :lol:. Ok I'll stop making fun of Dracula now.

I'll admit I don't watch many Oilers, but I tuned into a part of today's game on Sportsnet during commercial break. Timely too, I was witness to Petry bobbling the puck in his own end and then getting hounded by Byfuglien who pickpocketed him and passed it to Burmistrov for the (basically) empty netter.

If that guy is going to be a top 4 Dman, I'm projecting another miss on the postseason next year for the Oil. No offense, but he just looks like he still has a bit of development to get there. I'd take Schultz over him at this point, and actually any point beyond the PP. Extremely underrated around the NHL and still a decent number 3 guy.

Oh really, I actually didn't know that. That's great for Tom, he can stop applying whole bottles of suntan lotion per day now and use like 2/3rds of a bottle instead down in Minny. :lol:. Ok I'll stop making fun of Dracula now.

I'll admit I don't watch many Oilers, but I tuned into a part of today's game on Sportsnet during commercial break. Timely too, I was witness to Petry bobbling the puck in his own end and then getting hounded by Byfuglien who pickpocketed him and passed it to Burmistrov for the (basically) empty netter.

If that guy is going to be a top 4 Dman, I'm projecting another miss on the postseason next year for the Oil. No offense, but he just looks like he still has a bit of development to get there. I'd take Schultz over him at this point, and actually any point beyond the PP. Extremely underrated around the NHL and still a decent number 3 guy.

Come on, you can't judge a player then the Oilers post season chances on a single play.

That play was brutal but young player make mistakes, older ones do too.

I haven't noticed Schultz much when the Oilers play him but that sounds what his game is all about.

Oilers need some righties, sign one and trade for one in the off season. Any suggestions?

Kevin Lowe is GM of the 2012 Canadian World Cup team and assistant of the 2014 Olympic team.

Is Lowe going to let any Flames on these teams?

The WC teams consist of players who's teams have been eliminated from the play-offs. You know, the others are still busy in the playoffs for something called the Stanley Cup. You might have seen it on TV. :) Expect lots of Oilers on that team.

Stevie Y is GM of the 2014 Olympic team. What Lowe says won't mean diddly-squat if Stevie wants a player. If a Flame merits selection he'll be there.

BTW, I doubt Lowe is as small minded as you are. As GM of TC in the WC his job is to put the best available players on the ice. He'll be acting in that capacity & not as the GM of the Oilers (& we all know he's running the show even though Tambi carries that title).

You know, the others are still busy in the playoffs for something called the Stanley Cup. You might have seen it on TV. :) Expect lots of Oilers on that team.

I think we have watched it since the lockout, how about yourself?

Too bad the Flames Goalie will be playing for his home country, we could use him.

The WC teams consist of players who's teams have been eliminated from the play-offs. You know, the others are still busy in the playoffs for something called the Stanley Cup. You might have seen it on TV. :) Expect lots of Oilers on that team.

Stevie Y is GM of the 2014 Olympic team. What Lowe says won't mean diddly-squat if Stevie wants a player. If a Flame merits selection he'll be there.

BTW, I doubt Lowe is as small minded as you are. As GM of TC in the WC his job is to put the best available players on the ice. He'll be acting in that capacity & not as the GM of the Oilers (& we all know he's running the show even though Tambi carries that title).

By your logic, the WC should have plenty of Flamers in the tournament. Too bad they probably want a younger core on team Canada to build around which means no Flamers.

If you don't think Lowe has a say in what personal are on Canada, you are the most polite synonym for an idiot you can come up with. Penner almost made the 2010 team, Penner...

At the rate Iginla is going, he will not be on the 2014 team. Bouwmeester is doubtful and Giordano is a long shot.

He will want the best players available, that is why it is unlikely any Flamers will be on the team.

I think we have watched it since the lockout, how about yourself?

Too bad the Flames Goalie will be playing for his home country, we could use him.

Nah. Except for '07 the Flyers were always in the playoffs. :lol:

I'm going to throw out a compliment to some Oilers fans. Even though they aren't drinking the kool-aid & didn't buy into the line of bull management was selling they saw the Oilers had no other choice. They just hoped it would better managed. They weren't asking for years @ the bottom but maintained their loyalty just the same. The 1s this applies to will recognize themselves.

A lot of young posters on the Oilers board are probably excited to see their stars being not much older than them. That's the 1s that have only heard about the Cups & euphoria that hit Edmonton when it was indeed the "City of Champions".

That's in direct contrast to those "fans" that are wanting the Flames to needlessly bottom out because they see a #1 pick as worth more then a respectable, higher spot in the standings.

Everyone knows I do run the Oilers down because of the way they are handling this supposed rebuild but the trend around here is making me wonder if our posters would stand by the Flames like you do in Edmonton if they got their wish.

By your logic, the WC should have plenty of Flamers in the tournament. Too bad they probably want a younger core on team Canada to build around which means no Flamers.

If you don't think Lowe has a say in what personal are on Canada, you are the most polite synonym for an idiot you can come up with. Penner almost made the 2010 team, Penner...

At the rate Iginla is going, he will not be on the 2014 team. Bouwmeester is doubtful and Giordano is a long shot.

He will want the best players available, that is why it is unlikely any Flamers will be on the team.

Connor, in the WC they take the best of what's available from the teams that aren't playing in the SC playoffs. They aren't building toward the next team as they don't know what teams will be eliminated then.

I doubt Iggy will be on the 2014 TC Olympic team. Every 4 years we see a new team. The newbies are suddenly the grizzled vets. JBo & Gio I don't expect either.

With the increased player movement since the cap was implemented we have no idea what player will be on any team. 1 of your current 3 youngsters could be wearing a different uniform by then if Lowe allows a trade to fill those holes.

BTW, personal means things that directly apply to you. You were probably thinking of personnel. :)

Connor, in the WC they take the best of what's available from the teams that aren't playing in the SC playoffs. They aren't building toward the next team as they don't know what teams will be eliminated then.

I doubt Iggy will be on the 2014 TC Olympic team. Every 4 years we see a new team. The newbies are suddenly the grizzled vets. JBo & Gio I don't expect either.

With the increased player movement since the cap was implemented we have no idea what player will be on any team. 1 of your current 3 youngsters could be wearing a different uniform by then if Lowe allows a trade to fill those holes.

BTW, personal means things that directly apply to you. You were probably thinking of personnel. :)

It sounded like this year's WC is important to team Canada and they might give favour to those players who play for Canada this year.

Finally something to (potentially) cheer for! You deserve it after waiting so long... (still gotta wait though)

I watched the Oilers last night. What a joke. I've seen Junior Team execute line changes on the fly with more consistency. What are they up to on the bench, texting and watching trends? Your coaching should be working on the fundamentals if you want to start to make any progress, maybe that would help.

Fundamentals like:

tying shoelaces

proper verb usage

eating with cutlery

I watched the Oilers last night. What a joke. I've seen Junior Team execute line changes on the fly with more consistency. What are they up to on the bench, texting and watching trends? Your coaching should be working on the fundamentals if you want to start to make any progress, maybe that would help.

Fundamentals like:

tying shoelaces

proper verb usage

eating with cutlery

Is that the best you can come up with? 3:25 is way past your bed time.

It sounded like this year's WC is important to team Canada and they might give favour to those players who play for Canada this year.

Completely irrelevant.

can you imagine the conversation at Olympics time?:

"I know player A is better, but player B came to the WC's in 2012 - maybe we should take him instead. Because it's not like winning is important or anything, it's only the Olympics"

The WCs are important because they determine seeds for the Olympics - so they will want to ice the best teams they can. But as far as favouring players because they came to the WCs - you can rest assured the best team possible will be iced for the Olympics, regardless of who came.

So being on a losing team & therefore being available for the WC trumps being on a SC winner or contender?

Wow, that's some twisted logic.

1273098022089.png

Because playing for a WC team will give bonus points for the Olympics. Hey, that Heatley guy used to be Canada's top threat in World Championship play.

If any part of TC management gives favour like that, I'll officially start cheering for America. Or Switzerland. Hell, I'll cheer for China, and the last time I checked they were a C level team.

You pick the guys that are playing the best. I don't care if that's Crosby or Thornton or Hall. But if they pass up on a guy for a player just because of previous international experience, that's utter horsestrawberry. If Hall is potting 60 point pace and is picked over a guy who's a potential Hart Trophy candidate, TC better have a damn good explanation and if it's anything like "We saw Taylor at the WCs and we felt he was really good there" then we punt Lowe, Yzerman, Armstrong etc. all out. If you're Lowe and you rig the process like that, you're self-servient. If you're Yzerman and you can't even call the shots over your assistant and you LET him dictate the process like that, you're too meek.

Sure the Oilers could get players there. But it will be on merit and not just because some dude's assistant used to officially run their team. Saying otherwise is completely laughable.

Because playing for a WC team will give bonus points for the Olympics. Hey, that Heatley guy used to be Canada's top threat in World Championship play.

If any part of TC management gives favour like that, I'll officially start cheering for America. Or Switzerland. Hell, I'll cheer for China, and the last time I checked they were a C level team.

You pick the guys that are playing the best. I don't care if that's Crosby or Thornton or Hall. But if they pass up on a guy for a player just because of previous international experience, that's utter horsestrawberry. If Hall is potting 60 point pace and is picked over a guy who's a potential Hart Trophy candidate, TC better have a damn good explanation and if it's anything like "We saw Taylor at the WCs and we felt he was really good there" then we punt Lowe, Yzerman, Armstrong etc. all out. If you're Lowe and you rig the process like that, you're self-servient. If you're Yzerman and you can't even call the shots over your assistant and you LET him dictate the process like that, you're too meek.

Sure the Oilers could get players there. But it will be on merit and not just because some dude's assistant used to officially run their team. Saying otherwise is completely laughable.

Settle down buddy.

Lowe was on Oilers Now today and he used Doughty as an example. Lowe said that since they were able to see Doughty and his performance the year prior to the Olympics, they were confident that he would be able to play at a level good enough for the Olympics.

Doughty was lights out at the Olympics, probably some of the best hockey he has ever played. Team Canada management was able to confidently select him to team Canada based onhis season and his play in the WC.

Think about it for a second. Playing on the WC gives you more exposure and ability to play under international rules. It also shows a players ability to quickly adapt to new teams mates and system while being able to play at a high level consistently.

Think about it for a second. Playing on the WC gives you more exposure and ability to play under international rules. It also shows a players ability to quickly adapt to new teams mates and system while being able to play at a high level consistently.

TC holds that conditioning camp prior to the season & makes their short list.

Almost every player that will be considered for 2014 already has international experience. Some it was the WJC & others had that and a prior Olympics. All would be asked to play for TC if their team was bad enough to miss the playoffs. But Hockey Canada does take into consideration their desire to help their team win the Cup.

Playing in the WC often could make the brass wonder if the player really has what it takes to win. If it shows better team-mates do that that stigma is removed. Rick Nash is an example.

Also, the SC playoffs show the ability to play @ a high level much more then playing with the best players from the worst teams in a tournament that few watch because it conflicts with the last few rounds of the competition for Lord Stanley's mug.

Would you be watching the WC if the Oilers were in the final 4 for the Cup?

TC holds that conditioning camp prior to the season & makes their short list.

Almost every player that will be considered for 2014 already has international experience. Some it was the WJC & others had that and a prior Olympics. All would be asked to play for TC if their team was bad enough to miss the playoffs. But Hockey Canada does take into consideration their desire to help their team win the Cup.

Playing in the WC often could make the brass wonder if the player really has what it takes to win. If it shows better team-mates do that that stigma is removed. Rick Nash is an example.

Also, the SC playoffs show the ability to play @ a high level much more then playing with the best players from the worst teams in a tournament that few watch because it conflicts with the last few rounds of the competition for Lord Stanley's mug.

Would you be watching the WC if the Oilers were in the final 4 for the Cup?

I cheer for whatever team consists of the most Oiler players. If the Oilers are playing, I cheer for them. If a bunch are on team Canada, I cheer for them. If a bunch are on team Finland, I cheer for them.

The two times Canada has won gold it was on North American ice. The two times they did bad it was on international ice. The next two WC could show TC brass who or what type of player plays better on the bigger ice with international rules.

I cheer for whatever team consists of the most Oiler players. If the Oilers are playing, I cheer for them. If a bunch are on team Canada, I cheer for them. If a bunch are on team Finland, I cheer for them.

The two times Canada has won gold it was on North American ice. The two times they did bad it was on international ice. The next two WC could show TC brass who or what type of player plays better on the bigger ice with international rules.

So with no Oilers on our 2010 Olympic Gold team, none on the US team, none on the Swedish team, none on the Finnish team, who were you cheering for?

Russia - Denis Grebeshkov?

Archived