Contract and Salary Cap Information

• 3 months later...

Does anyone know where you can find out what each players contracts are in regards to their bonuses ?

I was looking at Toews and Kane and i wondered what their bonuses where paid for. And if they don't acheive what ever the goal was how does that go when counting against the salary cap ? For example Kane cap hit this year was $3.725, and $2.85 of that was bonuses.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CHI

so is there anywhere we can find out what the bonuses are for ? Just seems strange to do that for rookies, i know that Crsoby, Malkin and Ovechkin got these bonuses too. Heck even Andrew Ladd got them ?

Does anyone know where you can find out what each players contracts are in regards to their bonuses ?

I was looking at Toews and Kane and i wondered what their bonuses where paid for. And if they don't acheive what ever the goal was how does that go when counting against the salary cap ? For example Kane cap hit this year was $3.725, and $2.85 of that was bonuses.

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CHI''>http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CHI' target="_blank">http://www.nhlnumbers.com/overview.php?team=CHI[/post]

so is there anywhere we can find out what the bonuses are for ? Just seems strange to do that for rookies, i know that Crsoby, Malkin and Ovechkin got these bonuses too. Heck even Andrew Ladd got them ?

i dont know any sites that say what the bonuses are for... just the total amount

and alot of players get bonuses on rookie contracts... i dont know why you are singling Ladd out when Nystrom had them (in his last contract)... Irving, Negrin, Ryder, Ramholt, Prust, Armstrong, Baldwin, Keeltey, Lalande, Watt, Cole, Seitsonen, Sutter, Cracknell and Pardy all have rookie contract bonuses as well

for example without bonuses John Negrin would only have a cap hit slightly over 600k... but instead his is nearly 850k... another example is Leland Irving... nearly 1/3 of his cap hit is due to potential bonuses

I only singled out Ladd because i was looking at Chicago, and thought he really doesn't put up that many points especially in comparrison to Toews and Kane ( i understand that they aquired Ladd from Carolina so it wasn't Chicago that gave him the bonuses). As you pointed out lots of rookies get these bonuses, but Getzlaf and Perry i don't see getting them. Infact their contracts on nhl nunumbers shows that their salaries have been going down each year that just seems incredible considering their value to the team, Bobby Ryan was paid more than Getz and Perry this season yet his cap hit was less. From what i see on NHLnumbers the bonuses aren't included in the cap hit Ryan as the example

I know this thing is really really complex, and i do wonder how GM's keep track of it all, i was just wondering on their bonuses

• 1 month later...

Need some help here also guys. I'm wondering about CBA and how teams keep up with salary cap and make money at the same time.

If a NHL team this season paid right to the salary cap at 34 million and made say 10 mllion. Now the cap is up to 41 million next season because revenue went up. How does this team pay the additional 7 million in salaries? does the NHL give that team 7 million more in cheque for revenue sharing and league payment (t.v./spons,etc) or does this team use up the 10 million they made last season to pay for this?

Thanks

The first is Navras by Juno Reactor and the second is Spitfire by Prodigy.

Need some help here also guys. I'm wondering about CBA and how teams keep up with salary cap and make money at the same time.

If a NHL team this season paid right to the salary cap at 34 million and made say 10 mllion. Now the cap is up to 41 million next season because revenue went up. How does this team pay the additional 7 million in salaries? does the NHL give that team 7 million more in cheque for revenue sharing and league payment (t.v./spons,etc) or does this team use up the 10 million they made last season to pay for this?

Thanks

no need for a huge font... but to answer your questions...

Teams do not have to spend to the top of the cap... they only have to spend to the floor which is always $17.5 million lower than the ceiling... if a team only makes $10 million in profits and the cap raises $7 million they would either a) cut into their profits or B) don't spend the additional $7 million... National TV revenue money is split equally among the teams... Local television rights count towards each individual teams profits (for example if the Flames get $50 million for the games on Sportsnet that goes into their revenue stream it is not split with other teams)... there is some revenue sharing... I do not know how it works exactly but I know to qualify for revenue sharing you must reach the cap floor and sell 11 or 12 thousand season tickets... one thing that is for sure is revenue sharing in the NHL is far from being overly helpful to struggling franchises

if a team wants to increase revenues to help them spend more money... look for ticket prices, merchandise prices, concession prices, parking rates to rise

• 4 years later...

Can I bump a pinned thread?

I had a question regarding RFA and UFA status. I'll use this year as an example. Mikael Backlund in 2011-12 was on a two-way deal, ending this year as an RFA. He has now signed a one-way deal ending 2012-13. Does this now make him a UFA after this year? I'm not sure of the criteria that governs free agency.

Also, one- or two-way deals do not depend on free agency status, correct? ie. Comeau was on a one-way but was still an RFA. Does his new deal make him a UFA now as well?

Basically I'm looking for a dummies guide to free agency.

Can I bump a pinned thread?

I had a question regarding RFA and UFA status. I'll use this year as an example. Mikael Backlund in 2011-12 was on a two-way deal, ending this year as an RFA. He has now signed a one-way deal ending 2012-13. Does this now make him a UFA after this year? I'm not sure of the criteria that governs free agency.

Also, one- or two-way deals do not depend on free agency status, correct? ie. Comeau was on a one-way but was still an RFA. Does his new deal make him a UFA now as well?

Basically I'm looking for a dummies guide to free agency.

One and two way deals in no way effect RFA, UFA or waiver eligibility , all they do is effect salary. The Flames could have signed Backlund to a two way contract, but most likely he would have refused. Moving from RFA status to UFA status depends on a lot of things. To make it simple a player must have played in the NHL for 7 years or be 27 years old or have not received a qualifying offer from his team (if he hasnt met one of the first 2 points) to be a UFA. Backlund as an example will not be UFA eligible for another 4 years, because he will be 27 at that time.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

With today's signings of Glencross (PTO-Totonto) and Franson ($3.3mm x2yrs-Buffalo) its becoming more and more clear that the era of big contracts and free-spending is at least temporarily on hold.  That bodes well for the Flames considering the large number of major contracts we need to do in the next 2 years.

Overall there is a strong possibility the Salary Cap drops next season (dependent on C$) which would make today's restraint look mild compared to the nightmare many teams will face next year.  That also provides opportunities and may result in a glut of major trades and major FA signings within the next year as teams try and set-up for that possibility and deal with the new reality.  As a fan I'd love to see it but much more important, let's keep our own house in order so we can make it through unscathed and be in a position to take advantage when opportunities present themselves...

The Flames couldn't have picked a better time to turn the corner. Giordano, Brodie, and Hamilton are our long term top 3 and they are all locked in at good to great contracts. Monahan and Gaudreau will be signing while the cap is still tight and contracts are under control. Bennett probably will as well. Plus, it gives us some opportunity to look at Hudler (though I still don't see room).

It really is great timing.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.tsn.ca/reactionary-spending-has-created-cap-issue-in-columbus-1.514038

I think reactionary spending causes cap issues throughout the league and had driven salaries up to a place where teams aren't going to be able to ice proper 2nd lines.

The lines will be just as good as many more than 700 players want to prove they are NHLers.

The difference will only lie in the pay scale with the spear carriers making less while the stars get the big $s.

Pro sports fall under the entertainment umbrella. When you buy your ticket odds are you want to see the stars more than that 4th liner who can fill in on the 3rd in a pinch. Just like if you go to a concert you paid to see the featured main players rather than the rhythm guitarist or watching a movie you see the stars rather then supporting cast you vaguely remember from a TV show.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Bad news. General Fanager has shut down. They had new stuff up fast & were my go to site for that info.

I heard the guy that started/owned the site was hired as #s guy by some team.

Supposedly, it was sold to Nation, which is Flamesnation.ca, etc.  They reported the story about 2-3 weeks ago.

EDIT:  Ok, t was more like September 15th.  The site is http://nhlnumbers.com/

It listed on the banner on top of flamesnation.ca as well.

He was hired by the Las Vegas "Whatevers" as their Director of Hockey operations. These sites are terrific and I imagine it's a TON of work so to see pepole get recognized like that is pretty cool.

I liked General Fanager but Cap Friendly is still my favorite. They have the most amount of info and generally have it the quickest. However, General Fanager was the best resource for the expansion draft. 

NHLNumbers isn't bad but its not as "clean" and easy to navigate like Cap Friendly is. 

Archived