Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Backlund actually said he wanted to compete for a Cup and I dunno how the Flames convinced him that was happening. He wanted out to go compete. Guess that was his card publicly and internally he wanted captain

I don't know.  He should have been C last year because he was the logical choice.

He wanted to know that we had a plan.

Plan has changed completely.

Backlund may even want out now, but he is smart enough to shut up.

He met with Connie to find out what the new plan was.

Seemed satisfied with it.

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't think anyone is saying there was a missed opportunity in the summer. The missed opportunity on all of these players was 2022, not 2023. 

My point is I don't like the process. Hanifin indicates to you he doesn't want to be here but you wait, wait until he has a change of heart and then try and keep him why? Why was Hanifin considered to be that type of priority? Market was soft int he summer yes but why would it get more robust for a player like him and why would you want to potentially limit your suitors at the TDL?

I do not think you get significantly more for Hanifin in the summer to be clear. I think you would have had more options yes but that doesn't mean a significantly better trade. You'd be lower in the standing right now though and that IMO would have been the better win. 

See I don't believe there was a wait for a change of heart, they just didn't like the offers is what I've heard.  I don't know what they are but have heard from decent people they did try hard in the summer.  I think the Debrincat is the best comp, Ottawa needed to move him and that's what he got, not that great.  I think its basic negotiations to not bring your best offer if your not as desperate as the seller, Hanifin is a pretty vanilla player good at many things but master of none, and not the type you engage in bidding wars for.  If there was a fault it was probably the bar was too high, but I think people taking the inaction in the summer as Conroy just twiddling his thumbs and hoping for changes of hearts is just crap. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Flames made every attempt to re sign Lindholm. Ultimately he isn't here because he doesn't want to be. 

Flames made multiple attempts to re sign Hanifin. Ultimately he isn't here because he doesn't want to be. 

Right before they traded him they make attempts to re sign Tanev. Ultimately he isn't here because he doesn't want to be. 

I don't think this is the Flames pulling the trigger on a rebuild, this is the Flames reacting to the reality that the core they built to try and win is done. I think this is plan b, plan A was keeping Lindholm/Hanifin. I'm happy they are gong this route but don't agree this signals a change. 

This is not a shot at Conroy at all either BTW, I think Conroy is doing a fine job so far. Yes I do wonder if they waited too long on Hanifin but that's it. You had to wait on Tanev and Z for cap space and while I personally didn't like it, I do understand the idea of wanting Lindholm to stay. 

Just don't like how every problem gets dumped on the guy on the way out and suddenly the new shiny toy can do no wrong. Yet we don't acknowledge we'd be singing a different tune today if Lindholm and Hanifin had of said yes to their contract offers. 

I get that, it's a good point, but I'm more interested in results.

BT dug is into a deep, deep grave.  Facts, results.

Maybe he was an admirable man.

Maybe he was brilliant

Maybe the owners were impossible to deal with and had a leash on him

That's okay, because my issues with BT were never personal.  Just the facts.
         Him there, deep grave.

Conroy got a rebuild going.   Facts, results.

Some say it's a retool.  K.  whatevs

Some say he was too slow.  K.  well, maybe

Some say it was the players decision.  sure.  prolly

But.

He got it done.

That's what I care about.    

BT did not get it done, and I don't believe we would have all these first rounders if BT was still here.
    He would let all the contracts run out and beg and beg and beg and then either:

1.  The player would walk

2.  They would be signed to a ridiculous contract that paralyses us.

3.  We would trade them for worse, older players on terrible contracts with attitudes.

That is just my belief, but it is based on experience with what BT has done.

We don't know how serious the offers were, we don't know what Conroy Really, truly wanted.  If he Genuinely made an effort to keep them.

What I see, is Conroy making an effort to keep more talented scouting staff and coaches, and I see him making an effort to acquire younger players, and undervalued Russians.  

And quite frankly, our biggest problem is the win streaks because several times now, the "leftovers" Conroy got were more effective than the player we traded away.  Which really ticks me off lol, but that's what good GMs do.

Results man.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Backlund actually said he wanted to compete for a Cup and I dunno how the Flames convinced him that was happening. He wanted out to go compete. Guess that was his card publicly and internally he wanted captain

Backlund claimed Gio influenced his decision, there is value to staying in one spot your whole career and be in a place you and your family is happy.  And I think there is value from an organization to have a player want to be here and not just because he is paid well, but a make a positive impact in the locker room and around the community.  Just thinking about the jersey retirement the other day, not 1 number up there we can say was ours and only ours, kind of sad and Backlund isn't even one to consider retiring.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Backlund claimed Gio influenced his decision, there is value to staying in one spot your whole career and be in a place you and your family is happy.  And I think there is value from an organization to have a player want to be here and not just because he is paid well, but a make a positive impact in the locker room and around the community.  Just thinking about the jersey retirement the other day, not 1 number up there we can say was ours and only ours, kind of sad and Backlund isn't even one to consider retiring.

could be too, they value him to a point that they see him as someone to groom within the organization. If he's done a lot of work in the community, that's a lot of skill to harness once he retires from playing.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

I get that, it's a good point, but I'm more interested in results.

BT dug is into a deep, deep grave.  Facts, results.

Maybe he was an admirable man.

Maybe he was brilliant

Maybe the owners were impossible to deal with and had a leash on him

That's okay, because my issues with BT were never personal.  Just the facts.
         Him there, deep grave.

Conroy got a rebuild going.   Facts, results.

Some say it's a retool.  K.  whatevs

Some say he was too slow.  K.  well, maybe

Some say it was the players decision.  sure.  prolly

But.

He got it done.

That's what I care about.    

BT did not get it done, and I don't believe we would have all these first rounders if BT was still here.
    He would let all the contracts run out and beg and beg and beg and then either:

1.  The player would walk

2.  They would be signed to a ridiculous contract that paralyses us.

3.  We would trade them for worse, older players on terrible contracts with attitudes.

That is just my belief, but it is based on experience with what BT has done.

We don't know how serious the offers were, we don't know what Conroy Really, truly wanted.  If he Genuinely made an effort to keep them.

What I see, is Conroy making an effort to keep more talented scouting staff and coaches, and I see him making an effort to acquire younger players, and undervalued Russians.  

And quite frankly, our biggest problem is the win streaks because several times now, the "leftovers" Conroy got were more effective than the player we traded away.  Which really ticks me off lol, but that's what good GMs do.

Results man.

fine by me. as I said I like the results too. 

But this is a double standard and I just personally think it's kind of low to keep dumping problems, some of which made up, on past employees as a means to justify the change today. Especially when the reality of it it is their processes really isn't all that dissimilar. 

I just don't like it but to each their own. 

Troy Stetcher is about to complete the Western Canada journey by joining the Oilers.  3rd deadline in a row being dealt, 2 years ago it was for a 7th, last year it was a swap of pending UFA's, this year a 4th  The wizard has done it again, but I guess its smart to trade picks since they don't use them well to begin with.

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

See I don't believe there was a wait for a change of heart, they just didn't like the offers is what I've heard.  I don't know what they are but have heard from decent people they did try hard in the summer.  I think the Debrincat is the best comp, Ottawa needed to move him and that's what he got, not that great.  I think its basic negotiations to not bring your best offer if your not as desperate as the seller, Hanifin is a pretty vanilla player good at many things but master of none, and not the type you engage in bidding wars for.  If there was a fault it was probably the bar was too high, but I think people taking the inaction in the summer as Conroy just twiddling his thumbs and hoping for changes of hearts is just crap. 

I mean come on we don't have to be silly here. Of course he wasn't just sitting there doing nothing no one has remotely suggested that. 

Agree to disagree I guess but IMO and from what I have heard, the Flames plan A was keeping Hanifin and I don't think it should have been. I don't doubt for a second they listened to offers in the summer but I think they did it under the pretense of our plan A is to keep him. Remember his answer in the summer was not "i won't re sign" it was " I won't re sign.. right now". 

Does it drastically change where they are today, highly unlikely it's just a process that IMO is open to criticism and probably not how I would have preferred to see it handled, especially given the return he got. 

20 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

could the AVS be in on Vladar???

think it would be Markstrom they'd ask about, not Vladar.

They are rumored to want a goalie, just don't think Vladar is a target. 

Bunch of Players on waivers today including Osterle. Doubt he gets claimed over Lagesson, DeAngelo. 

Lemieux or Katchouk could be interesting if they were signed past the summer, but don’t really blow anyone away.

Raanta never really found his footing and at 26, Cormier has no NHL games and only modest stats in the ECHL and AHL.

I don’t see the team grabbing another player off waivers today.

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

think it would be Markstrom they'd ask about, not Vladar.

They are rumored to want a goalie, just don't think Vladar is a target. 

Can't see them affording Markstrom but I am sure he would waive to go there

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I mean come on we don't have to be silly here. Of course he wasn't just sitting there doing nothing no one has remotely suggested that. 

Agree to disagree I guess but IMO and form what I have heard, the Flames plan A was keeping Hanifin and I don't think it should have been. I don't doubt for a second they listened to offers in the summer but I think they did it under the pretense of our plan A is to keep him so adjust offers accordingly. 

Does it drastically change where they are today, highly unlikely it's just a process that IMO is open to criticism. 

Yes agree to disagree, I've heard from what I find are reliable people to me that didn't believe he'd be back for camp this year.  I just see it as pointless either way, whether we traded him 2 summers ago is the argument I can't debate because even if its a similar return its the timing issue of having the main asset in 2023 or 2024 instead of 2026 when the pipeline is pretty depleted, whether last summer or TDL I really don't see the difference, wasn't a sellers market and Hanifin isn't that guy, he was never even viewed that favorably here. 

My main takeaway is I hate Twitter and even as X I hate it more, I still don't know how in 2024 we give a guy with a couple hundred followers attention for bogus tweets.  

I was hoping we would land Anderson-Dolan, but Nashville picked him up.

I could make a case for claiming Deangelo, as we need defense who can eat minutes, but his history suggests he is a player you don’t want anywhere near your young players.

19 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

What’s this even mean? Are they looking for something? It’s pretty vague at best lol 

When Ryan Leslie does it there is usually news to drop.  Vegas social media team operates in a different fashion  so it's anyone's guess.

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

When Ryan Leslie does it there is usually news to drop.  Vegas social media team operates in a different fashion  so it's anyone's guess.

Ha ok! So it could be that they extended Hanifin