Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Since you have no idea what others that have entered the NHL Player Assistance program were doing prior, you have no way of knowing this isn't the same thing.  Did he get addicted to Oxy when he had the injury in the fall?    

Anyway, I don't like to watch car crashes, so I won't bother with this story.  Too bad.  He seemed like an okay kid prior to playing down the lineup under Sutter.  Was always question about consistency, not anything else.  

I know people who know people who have credible stories,  I do have history of losing people, not all were addicts but all are treated as such.  So I don't like or feel bad for someone caught in the glorification of drugs, so I sorry if I'm not in the pity party or excuse train I have high sympathy for those who need help, but zero for the Tony Montana wannabe's.

Friedman on Hanifin:

thinks work is being done but a lot of teams checking on where does he want to go and sign

Thinks Leafs wanted him but Hanifin wants to be in the US

Thinks Tampa wants him but he doesn't see how they can do it. Feels Tampa would want him and he would want to go there but trade isn't clear.

Feels it's Boston and Florida as the more natural options. Feels that's based on the options they have to trade

Unsure on the Devils. not sure if Hanifin would sign there. Feel they would want him but just not sure that's where Hanifin wants to be. 

Feels it's Boston, Tampa, Florida and Jersey who are kind of the short list. 

He's heard some chatter about Lundell being out there. Doesn't' feel Florida wants to do that but it's a player that would be up the Flames ally.

It does seem like this is setting up to be more of a sign and trade then a rental. Or at least sending him to a place he's interested in being long term.

Kind of throws cold water on the idea of Boston trading Poitras.

• Like 1

For being in almost every rumour for Dman or Goalie, how long can the Devils play the waiting game?  5 back of the WC and 7 back of 3rd in the division and tied with NYI and Washington with Pittsburgh only 2 behind them with 2 in hand and not a lot of head to heads with the teams they are chasing.  May need to act fast or stand pat.

• Like 1

Just now, sak22 said:

For being in almost every rumour for Dman or Goalie, how long can the Devils play the waiting game?  5 back of the WC and 7 back of 3rd in the division and tied with NYI and Washington with Pittsburgh only 2 behind them with 2 in hand and not a lot of head to heads with the teams they are chasing.  May need to act fast or stand pat.

I feel the same.  NJD playoffs are slipping away if they wait.

Meanwhile, the Flames are going to win their way out of the Tij Iginla range if we don't dismantle the team sooner.

Just get the deal done already.

11 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I feel the same.  NJD playoffs are slipping away if they wait.

Meanwhile, the Flames are going to win their way out of the Tij Iginla range if we don't dismantle the team sooner.

Just get the deal done already.

Well they are still in top 10 with Minny and Pittsburgh being able to pass us.  I'm not worried, this team hasn't demonstrated the ability to avoid an equal losing streak for each winning streak I really don't see that changing over the final 25.  

28 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Obviously a biased slant to this but I'm here too.. what exactly at the Devils waiting for?

If the rumors are true there is no doubt that Conroy is driving a hard bargain here but here is probably the most popular rumor that seems to be floating around. 

Flames:

Markstrom (50%) retained

Maybe someone like Rooney

Devils

Holtz 

1st round pick this year

Seasmus Casey

I've heard some say it's Mercer and not Holtz and it sounds like the Devils are balking at giving up either Mercer or Casey.  I'm not sure why the insistent on salary retention from NJ but even with those being good young players I think NJ will be fine without them. Casey might not even crack their blueline behind Hamilton and Nemec for years. 

Probably something to it, but the approach from the Devils has felt weird to me. 

53 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I know people who know people who have credible stories,  I do have history of losing people, not all were addicts but all are treated as such.  So I don't like or feel bad for someone caught in the glorification of drugs, so I sorry if I'm not in the pity party or excuse train I have high sympathy for those who need help, but zero for the Tony Montana wannabe's.

What would you say if Kylington was wrapped up in that kind of thing, but sought out help to get out of it?  For now, we know nothing about it.  I neither excuse nor condemn Ruzicka's actions.  I do think it leads to questions about his mental health.  Tony Montana was a pychopath with deep seated rage issues.  Is that the same thing?

Weird conversation.  I am sorry for your loss.  

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this but the Flames sure won't be missing Ruzicka. There is a video online if you want to go and look but i'm going to refrain from posting it. 

Probably someone who needs help

This is unfortunate, hopefully he gets help and can recover…maybe even rebuild his career.

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Obviously a biased slant to this but I'm here too.. what exactly at the Devils waiting for?

If the rumors are true there is no doubt that Conroy is driving a hard bargain here but here is probably the most popular rumor that seems to be floating around. 

Flames:

Markstrom (50%) retained

Maybe someone like Rooney

Devils

Holtz 

1st round pick this year

Seasmus Casey

I've heard some say it's Mercer and not Holtz and it sounds like the Devils are balking at giving up either Mercer or Casey.  I'm not sure why the insistent on salary retention from NJ but even with those being good young players I think NJ will be fine without them. Casey might not even crack their blueline behind Hamilton and Nemec for years. 

Probably something to it, but the approach from the Devils has felt weird to me. 

I always feel like once these rumours leak, the deal is off and will never happen.  99% of trades seems to come out of the blue.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I always feel like once these rumours leak, the deal is off and will never happen.  99% of trades seems to come out of the blue.

I agree, the odd one there is a lot of smoke but it seems with this team the trades all go down in a couple hours of first being reported. 

45 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Don't disagree. Some who have broken news in the past still say it isn't dead so we'll see. 

I think we need to get out in front of the TDL with any trades.  Teams will start dumping players as we get close.  Maybe we hold one back to get the best last minute return, but that's risky.  ARI is gonna start dumping soon.  Probably teams like CBJ and SJS will as well.  ANA could be looking to move Gibson.  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I’m not sure NJD makes any moves, they are further out from a WC spot than Cgy…unless they win all in a row up to TDL I don’t think they make moves now, the injury bug kinda pooched their season and they have been slow to fix it…had they pulled

the trigger early on Markstrom and one of Hanifin or Tanev (aka paid Conroy’s price) they would be well in A playoff spot but now is questionable, so why make Moves for a playoff run when you make not even make it now? 

40 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I’m not sure NJD makes any moves, they are further out from a WC spot than Cgy…unless they win all in a row up to TDL I don’t think they make moves now, the injury bug kinda pooched their season and they have been slow to fix it…had they pulled

the trigger early on Markstrom and one of Hanifin or Tanev (aka paid Conroy’s price) they would be well in A playoff spot but now is questionable, so why make Moves for a playoff run when you make not even make it now? 

Not to dispel this, but until their slide NJ was a top 10 team at 5 on 5. Injuries have hurt so they've slipped but their goaltending is bottom half of the league. Flames are a middle of the pack team, who are close to the playoffs because of their goaltending. If I were the Devils i'd be looking at my team and saying that with a goalie i'm right there. 

But yes it might be too late and with the injuries on D it woudln't surprise me if they just say no this year. Their D is promising but t's young and struggling right now. 

Probably need a new coach too. 

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Why make the move now?  Well, that's exactly it with Markstrom. He's a 3 year solution.  NJD gets 3 runs with Markstrom if they act now.  He's not just a one year rental.  NJD will still need to find a legit G this summer even if they pass on Markstrom right now.

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

31 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Why make the move now?  Well, that's exactly it with Markstrom. He's a 3 year solution.  NJD gets 3 runs with Markstrom if they act now.  He's not just a one year rental.  NJD will still need to find a legit G this summer even if they pass on Markstrom right now.

I'm sure they would rather be battling for a playoff spot with the possibility of a few players coming back near the season end, or barring that, when the playoffs started.  The cost is going to be as high this summer for a goalie like Markstrom, and maybe the price heats up because of it.  And they have one season less to work with.  Markstrom is playing great this year.  With a healthy defense next season, he could be as good or better.

They are going exactly nowhere with the goalies they have.  Almost 2 months to go on a decent run and get a decent seeding.

4 hours ago, MP5029 said:

The thing with Marky is he has term. 

NJ is still a good team so they could feasibly make a run next season with him in nets.

Even if NJ doesn’t make the playoffs this year, they are going to need a goalie.

They need it more than they need a 16th overall draft pick. They’re essentially set in their top six and top four long term.

I also think the Flames should have some urgency. This is as high as Markstrom’s value will be. As others have stated, due to the Monahan trade, the Flames either need to be really good, or bottom ten next year. A good season doesn’t hurt too much, losing that pick. Losing an 11th overall though, ouch. Markstrom increases the odds of the Flames finishing out of the top ten this year and next.

If the Flames could get something like a 1st and Holtz or Seamus Casey. They need to do it. 

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

lol.  no, just was in a rush and couldn't find a smaller logo...

was may way of saying the Oilers will be all over this lol

hahahah.

ya it was quite in my face and the first thing I saw after waking up! 

I actually think the Flames can make a pretty good deal with the Lightning.

The three teams most commonly linked to Hanifin, BOS, TB and FLA are all short on 2024 picks. Regardless, the Flames are going to have to wait to use those picks. Not necessarily a bad thing though. This years TB pick is likely in the 18-20 range. They'd obviously throw some protection on a 2026 1st, but I think it's likely that in two years they're picking in the 13-17 range. Slightly better pick.

The only way this deal is works is if the Flames eat half and take on Jeannot. I'm fine with taking Jeannot. Only a year left and I think he can be a good 4th liner, at worst. If you tried Pospisil at C next year, a Greer-Pospisil-Jeannot 4th line could be a lot of fun.

Then you look at the Lightning prospect pool. Calgary would need Jack Thompson to be involved. Believe it was @JTech780 that mentioned him earlier. He could step in right away. The Flames will need D. Because the Flames are eating half and taking on a "bad" contract, I would push for more from TB. I'm not all that interested in Isaac Howard, which is fine because TB likely views him as their 1 or 2 prospect. I'd try to land Ethan Gauthier or Dylan Duke. There could be some signabilty concerns with Duke, but generally I think it's pretty difficult for kids to turn down a bonus-laden ELC.

EDIT- Gage Goncalves is pretty interesting too.