2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

5 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sure but both ANA and SJS are 1-8-1 in their last 10.  "Easy" to predict in that case.  4 wins right there.  No way we finish the season with only 2 or 3 more wins the rest of the way like we need.

Hope they see a team that's ripe for the pickin' and we get ahead of ourselves. If Anaheim has speedy guys going then could be trouble. Sounds like they might have given the Canucks a run today but lost. 

my bet is we lose to one of them once or twice but beat a team in it. 

15 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Hope they see a team that's ripe for the pickin' and we get ahead of ourselves. If Anaheim has speedy guys going then could be trouble. Sounds like they might have given the Canucks a run today but lost. 

my bet is we lose to one of them once or twice but beat a team in it. 

It's hard to predict at this point in the season.

I was at the game last night. LA should have been desperate, they played terrible. Credit to the Flames though, can't control your opponents effort.

San Jose essentially ended St. Louis season last night. The Flames have shown they can lose to literally anyone. 

The thing is though, there's zero consensus with this draft. I would say from 3 through 13, there's a chunk of players that could go in any order. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

There's a lot to agree with here.  Tij climbing into the top 10.  Buium better than Levshunov.  Silayev outside of top 10.

Except Parekh too high... interesting to see Catton way down at 15.  But Catton doesn't wow.  He just gets points.

Craig's having a large number of, "what?" moments here imho.

Buium over Levshunov is a stretch, but Dickinson is not the 4th best Dman including Parekh. My order would be reverse of his for those 4. The toss up being Dickinson-Levshunov. My head tells me Dickinson will be the 1st dman gone. A true 1 D is good at everything. I'd say that's Dickinson, just a little ahead of Levshunov. Buium has been pretty coddled everywhere he plays. I think that's getting completely overlooked.

He has Emery creeping up, and I'm fine with that, but Fibigr is a late 2nd-early 3rd. He's not Strbak or close, who went 45th last year. We missed him by 3 picks.

I like Button, but he gets flighty. Some guys' seasons are done, so they fall out of flavour.

I was trying to think of a scenario that would actually piss off every single one of us, but is still plausible.

I've come up with:

Winning the lottery, and picking Tij.

watch for it.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I was trying to think of a scenario that would actually piss off every single one of us, but is still plausible.

I've come up with:

watch for it.

jj in the nicest possible way.....

You Troll 😋   You are of course correct this would piss everybody off.

Not even the Flames could pass up on Celebrini.........

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I've come up with:

watch for it.

I was thinking of that last night, though in my scenario you’d win the lottery, trade down to the #2 winner for a 2025 first(?), let them pick Celebrini, then you either continue trading down once or twice more, maybe, then pick Tij.  Probably won’t happen because teams would know what we were doing, but maybe…

Celebrini is clearly the best now, but in 5-10 years?

Actually, I’d pick Celebrini, then move heaven and earth to get two more top picks for Tij and a top5 D.

14 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Sure but both ANA and SJS are 1-8-1 in their last 10.  "Easy" to predict in that case.  4 wins right there.  No way we finish the season with only 2 or 3 more wins the rest of the way like we need.

ONe of the games against ANA is the 2nd in a B2B starting with the Kings.  We haven't won the 2nd game of a B2B all year.  We have only won 2 games (first game) in all the B2B series we played all year and have 5 double losses this season.  The two SJS games could go either way, since we have trouble with them at the best of times.  ANA is running hot and cold.

But us winning or losing is only half the story.  Ottawa is charging.  MTL is playing for their coach.  Seattle is unknown what they are.  The teams in front of us have equal or better win %.  

We get a big win and think we are turning the corner, just to see it evaporate.  Do we really expect to overtake any teams over the last three weeks of the year?  

My suggestion to the coach and GM is see what you have in Wolf.  Use the remaining two callups on D.  Call up Grush and Poirier.  The former due to seeing a bit of what he could bring, the latter because he is the most offensive D we have.  It's just plain dumb to give Markstrom games.  And the AHL players will need some reps before the playoffs start.  Wolf in particular.

7 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I've come up with:

watch for it.

Seriously, the more likely situation, and it would equally piss off everyine here, is we win the draft lotto then trade down to 12 and pick Tij.  In exchange for the trade to 12th, we get a usefull idiot NHL roster player that nobody here would be impressed with.  And that player is a pending UFA that we re-sign for 9.5M.  

There, that has you beat.

If the Flames were to trade the following players / combos, I think they could get First round picks in the top 15 this season (from the right teams).

What teams should we target with each player prior to or on draft day?

Markstrom

Andersson

Mangiapane + (what would need to be added to get to that 1st?)

I would look at using prospects or later picks if it helps move Mange for a top 15 pick in the draft. Are Coronato, Poirier, Honzek, Stromgren going to be made available? Would they be enough?

Looking for input as I would love to speed up the rebuild by getting 4 top 15 picks in a single draft. Would that be a new record? 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Seriously, the more likely situation, and it would equally piss off everyine here, is we win the draft lotto then trade down to 12 and pick Tij.  In exchange for the trade to 12th, we get a usefull idiot NHL roster player that nobody here would be impressed with.  And that player is a pending UFA that we re-sign for 9.5M.  

There, that has you beat.

Yes, definitely beat!

11 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

If the Flames were to trade the following players / combos, I think they could get First round picks in the top 15 this season (from the right teams).

Markstrom

Andersson

I would look at using prospects or later picks if it helps move Mange for a top 15 pick in the draft. Are Coronato, Poirier, Honzek, Stromgren going to be made available? Would they be enough?

Looking for input as I would love to speed up the rebuild by getting 4 top 15 picks in a single draft. Would that be a new record? 

Probably a record.  I would think almost anything is open, though we need some vet mentors, and trading away the best prospects is counterproductive.

From what I understand, LA is interested in Markstrom and would likely not care about outbidding NJ or the like.  They have a narrow window with the current core.  Yes, they have good players coming unto their own, but Kopitar and Doubty are near the end of their reign (excuse the pun).  

They have a 1st in 2024 and all picks in 2025.

I could see them offering up the 2024 1st + Kaliyev + Turcotte.

That seems like overpay, but they haven't had a real goalie since Quick.

Really, it's an underperforming winger and a prospect that hasn't hit yet.

34 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Markstrom

Andersson

What about Markstrom and a 2024 2nd rounder for their 1st Rounder? Is that enough? They get "their guy" and a pick in this year's draft. Is Holtz part of the deal or enough 1-to-1? He's NHL ready with warts. Conroy loves NHL ready players. 

If I was GM I would trade Andersson and Mangiapane (50% retained) to Ottawa for a 2024 1st rounder and a 2024 4th round pick and a 2025 3rd round pick. It wouldn't be Ottawa's 1st rounder. Could we add Pelletier to make it their 1st? Maybe minus a later pick?

4 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Sorry a downer here!!!

I don't see ANYONE of our players worth a trade for a top 10 2024 pick.

im not thinking you're a downer. I think it'll be very hard, and my guess is bosn was thinking what to add to get there. 

if they wanted more firsts the TDL is where to get them, not the draft.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Andersson possible 9/10th overall pick.  But no way top 5

Would do the "Andersson possible 9/10th overall pick." (not holding my breath)

Trust our scouts.

Andersson was 53rd OA

I'm pretty sure there is more Andersson's in the 2024 2nd round.

Late 1st rounders (Van) are shiny toys and ours could be traded for minimum a couple 2nd rounders.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Andersson possible 9/10th overall pick.  But no way top 5

I'm in agreement here, the reality is that we have completely gutted ourselves in this "retool".

And I'm not complaining.

Andersson is probably our last card.     Or a combination of Andersson plus previous/future first rounders

-(Coronato, Zary)

You can do it, but you need to really want it.   There would have to be pain.   If you draft Tij, then imho you ...Have...to do something because we cannot start our rebuild with a bunch of wingers.   Sorry I mean retool.   If you don't draft Tij, it's optional but it would still be better to start fresh drafting D.

It is actually quite funny that we are calling this a retool when in fact we don't have enough pieces to trade for a first rounder anymore.     But it's not a bad thing, it means we are near rock bottom and things aren't going to get That much worse.   It's probably the last season for a while where our GM talks about "battling for the playoffs" in January, but otherwise pretty steady.

In a situation like this it Does make sense to go heavy on picks right away (if drafting D and G), so imho we should try our best to do so.   Even if it means Putting up great pieces like mentioned above.

And we should be a seller at each trade deadline for next few seasons.   Best way to do that is reclamation projects.   Hello Kylington.   Hello Kozemenko.   We need to sign more Younger high ceiling reclaimation projects in the off-season, rehab them and see who sinks/swims.    Put the swimmers up at TDL.   Be up front about it.  "Hey man, get your act together and you could be hoisting a cup by end of season".   

Second best way is eating salaries, but I won't get my hopes up.    

43 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'm in agreement here, the reality is that we have completely gutted ourselves in this "retool".

And I'm not complaining.

Andersson is probably our last card.     Or a combination of Andersson plus previous/future first rounders

-(Coronato, Zary)

You can do it, but you need to really want it.   There would have to be pain.   If you draft Tij, then imho you ...Have...to do something because we cannot start our rebuild with a bunch of wingers.   Sorry I mean retool.   If you don't draft Tij, it's optional but it would still be better to start fresh drafting D.

It is actually quite funny that we are calling this a retool when in fact we don't have enough pieces to trade for a first rounder anymore.     But it's not a bad thing, it means we are near rock bottom and things aren't going to get That much worse.   It's probably the last season for a while where our GM talks about "battling for the playoffs" in January, but otherwise pretty steady.

In a situation like this it Does make sense to go heavy on picks right away (if drafting D and G), so imho we should try our best to do so.   Even if it means Putting up great pieces like mentioned above.

And we should be a seller at each trade deadline for next few seasons.   Best way to do that is reclamation projects.   Hello Kylington.   Hello Kozemenko.   We need to sign more Younger high ceiling reclaimation projects in the off-season, rehab them and see who sinks/swims.    Put the swimmers up at TDL.   Be up front about it.  "Hey man, get your act together and you could be hoisting a cup by end of season".   

Second best way is eating salaries, but I won't get my hopes up.    

I just don't think we will ever be drafting low enough for it to be a rebuild. This year may be the lowest we draft in this iteration of a retool. 

we need to make sure we hit on players in the way Dallas did... and get that first rounder right. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I just don't think we will ever be drafting low enough for it to be a rebuild. This year may be the lowest we draft in this iteration of a retool. 

we need to make sure we hit on players in the way Dallas did... and get that first rounder right. 

Dare to dream man, dare to dream.

We haven't picked that high... YET.  lol.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

Dallas is good example but also a rarity.

They got an elite player at D, F, and G all in the same draft.

That almost never happens

1 hour ago, Sarasti said:

Dallas is good example but also a rarity.

They got an elite player at D, F, and G all in the same draft.

That almost never happens

I like looking at the rarities, because they can help win cups.   Like, let's be honest, I want like 3 cups in the next 10 years.   Is it a fair ask?  Probably not lol.    But I'm pretty set on it, so...  the rarities are good for seeing what was done right.

Of interest:

-They drafted 3rd overall.   Not lottery style.  Like, All their picks were high.

-They had two 1st rounders, and a very high 2nd rounder.   They were not far off from having 3 first rounders.

-They started by drafting a D.   GMs are always afraid to do this because of the development time.
                  But if you go bpa, you will see defencemen and you will have an advantage if you don't pass them over.

-They drafted a G in first round.    This is the same as with D, but like, x10.

-For their winger, they drafted a 42-goal scorer in junior with warts.

Now the warts are gone, and they are left with a 47-goal scorer in the NHL.

Lesson:   Sometimes, take the skill, de-wart them later.

But yeah.  You're right.   For us to replicate it in 2024 would be Quite, quite hard without extremely good scouting, GMing, and a lottery win, lol.   Because our situation is Close, but we are like 5-10 draft spots behind what they had, and their outcome was also optimal.

All that said, if we get One hall-of-famer this year, none of the above matters and none of the other picks matter.    You just do your best.

• Like 1