GDT Sharks @ Flames Mar 25. 2pm Start

DirtyDeeds

Some Babble

The Calgary Flames potentially are staring at their last strike. Heading into Friday's Saturday's home game against the cellar-dwelling San Jose Sharks, the Flames (32-26-15, 79 points) are six points behind the Winnipeg Jets for the final playoff spot with nine games remaining. The Flames already knew they need a miracle finish to reach the playoffs, but their chances took another hit in Thursday's 3-2 home loss to the Vegas Golden Knights. Disappointment was the buzzword in the aftermath. "It's always disappointing to lose, especially the situation we're in," defenseman Rasmus Andersson said. "I don't know if it's nerves or we're thinking about it too much. We're not thinking about the game that we're playing if we're thinking about the situation we're in too much. ... Nine games left and a lot of stuff can still happen." The Flames have plenty to be disappointed about.

Calgary has a ghastly 15-12-15 record in one-goal games. The Vegas clash is the 22nd loss when the Flames outshot their opposition by 10 or more, an NHL record. They are also the only team without a win when trailing after two periods (0-18-3). The capper, though, is they fell behind by a 2-0 score for the third time in four games. It showed a lack of urgency for a veteran-laden team with the season on the line. "We weren't ready to go on time," defenseman MacKenzie Weegar said. "We need to be ready in these games, these situations, the last 10 to go. We need to be desperate right off the start."

The Sharks (19-38-15, 53 points) have no sympathy for their Pacific Division rivals. San Jose is at the bottom of the Pacific Division and ahead of only the Columbus Blue Jackets in the standings. That situation may be good in the hopes of winning the draft lottery and claiming phenom Connor Bedard, but it has been a difficult spell. A 7-2 loss to the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday leaves the Sharks winless in eight games and only one victory in their last 14 outings (1-9-4). The Sharks had plenty of turnover leading up to the trade deadline and have been integrating prospects ever since. A night like the one in Vancouver did not come as a surprise. "When you make so many changes, some of the things that are happening out there are not really the fault of the new players," coach David Quinn said. "They just haven't been accustomed to playing the way you want to play, but the guys that have been here have to keep this thing together and understand we've got a season to finish, and we've got to do a better job finishing on a strong note."

In a rare positive, defenseman Erik Karlsson can reach 100 points in a quest to claim the Norris Trophy. Karlsson has collected 22 goals and 88 points in 72 games. Even his assist against the Canucks could easily be overlooked, though, with veterans failing to lead the way. "We just killed ourselves in the first because the three goals, we just give it to them," forward Tomas Hertl said. "And after it was too many penalties, and that's how it's going for us lately. ... I am one of the guys here and (it) just can't happen like that."

--Field Level Media

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

Are we mathematically eliminated yet? 

We still are leading this game.  LOL.

Oh, you mean the season.

No such luck.

WPG sucking fumes today.

NAS lost big time to SEA.

Unfortunately, the bandaid is still attached at one end.

Won't come off and is really getting sticky.

Other than the score, we are losing the game from the 10 minute game onward.

Ya it’s been very hard to watch these flames this year. Hubie looks like he doesn’t give a Flying V, Kadri is going through the motions, mangiapane has become invisible, our D and G look great on paper but have been anything but… the hitting the post has been excruciating, but the 1-goal game losses are a result of this team not being able to stay fully engaged for 60 minutes all season. This team has been exactly what they’ve shown themselves to be this year.  I don’t expect different to close out the season. 

What really really needs to come in to question here is " who wants to be here" you have 82 million in contracts and a 5 dollar effort by the players. Anderson, kadri, Zadorov, Mags, Hubie, Rithie not one could actullay care right now....you wonder why the coach losses his mind....The players are enbarrisng IMHO

Garbage lines, garbage results.

Have seen little with Mange playing on the top line.

Hubie sets up a nice goal, but that was on the top line for part of a shift.

Kadri with Ritchie, who is really just a more expensive version of his brother.

Backlund and Coleman play defensive hockey, not meant to be the offense.

Duehr the shining star of his line.

Well a win against the Sharks is impressive, but not exactly surprising.

The Sharks have not been a good team all year.

The good thing is the Jets and Preds both lost in regulation, so yeaa?

It's so funny.

We get 4 back of the Jets and somehow we seem to still be in it.

Today was the most uninspired win I have seen.

Like they were chasing the WC spot?  Nope, not even close.

They won in spite of the play.

Maybe that's the secret.

Not give a F.

2 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Are we mathematically eliminated yet? 

No.. but

We have 8 games remaining. 81 points now.

We will need 95-96 points for a possible playoff spot.

Realistically  we need to almost win out and we probably need another team to flounder.... Jets or Preds.

I don't see us jumping over both teams. Preds have games at hand on us.

Sure is lonely on this Bandwagon...

74aca1d0d413b14abd1b15ac102d7d59.png

5 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

No.. but

We have 8 games remaining. 81 points now.

We will need 95-96 points for a possible playoff spot.

Realistically  we need to almost win out and we probably need another team to flounder.... Jets or Preds.

I don't see us jumping over both teams. Preds have games at hand on us.

Sure is lonely on this Bandwagon...

74aca1d0d413b14abd1b15ac102d7d59.png

I was carrying one of the axles when a wheel came off a while back. But then another wheel came off and I was overcome by exhaustion.lol

The Flames and Wings are sure opposite spectrum of expectation. One is losing their minds, the other is, yup, let's go boys, get some more prospects.

Detroit is now 7yrs of no playoffs for the "burn it down" crowd. Still in the hopeful phase. Looks promising, but far from guarantees.

It would appear someone has to back into that 8th seed though...

17 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Detroit is now 7yrs of no playoffs for the "burn it down" crowd. Still in the hopeful phase. Looks promising, but far from guarantees.

Nonsense.  Both teams have no Cups in the last 7 years and that's the only stat that matters.  Celebrating playoffs?  Wut?  

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Nonsense.  Both teams have no Cups in the last 7 years and that's the only stat that matters.  Celebrating playoffs?  Wut?  

Nonsense? I don't recall the Flames finishing at or near dead last and always losing the stupid lottery.

17-18: 4th last, draft 6th

18-19: 4th last, draft 6th

19-20: last. 39pts, it's not even close, draft 4th. The 79pt NYR drafted 1st. LA 64pts 2nd, SJ(OTT) 63pts 3rd. Tell me again why the lottery is fair because teams will tank? Ridiculous.

20-21covid: 5th last, draft 6th

21-22: 8th last: draft 8th-call it a win.

So if you want to blow it up, don't expect a first oa if you're not a babied franchise, which we aren't, nor is Detroit. The massive market franchises and babysat markets get the wins. The lottery is nothing more than a lousy carnival game, run by sketchy carnies. Like they aren't smart enough to come up with a better way to do it. Like teams actually try to be 17 win-season bad. But I guess it's something to bet on, which is the most important thing to the league now that the ARI owners got their gambling license.

Franchises like Detroit, Calgary, Anaheim, Columbus, Chicago, Winnipeg, Ottawa go full on blow up, you're on your own. You better draft extremely well.

Franchises struggling to stay afloat and massive markets for the win. MTL the worst team? Here's your 1st oa. Toronto, here's your first. NYI, Pitts struggle to stay afloat? Here's your 1st. Just give it to ARI now.

11 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Nonsense? I don't recall the Flames finishing at or near dead last and always losing the stupid lottery.

17-18: 4th last, draft 6th

18-19: 4th last, draft 6th

19-20: last. 39pts, it's not even close, draft 4th. The 79pt NYR drafted 1st. LA 64pts 2nd, SJ(OTT) 63pts 3rd. Tell me again why the lottery is fair because teams will tank? Ridiculous.

20-21covid: 5th last, draft 6th

21-22: 8th last: draft 8th-call it a win.

So if you want to blow it up, don't expect a first oa if you're not a babied franchise, which we aren't, nor is Detroit. The massive market franchises and babysat markets get the wins. The lottery is nothing more than a lousy carnival game, run by sketchy carnies. Like they aren't smart enough to come up with a better way to do it. Like teams actually try to be 17 win-season bad. But I guess it's something to bet on, which is the most important thing to the league now that the ARI owners got their gambling license.

Franchises like Detroit, Calgary, Anaheim, Columbus, Chicago, Winnipeg, Ottawa go full on blow up, you're on your own. You better draft extremely well.

Franchises struggling to stay afloat and massive markets for the win. MTL the worst team? Here's your 1st oa. Toronto, here's your first. NYI, Pitts struggle to stay afloat? Here's your 1st. Just give it to ARI now.

You either win the Cup or you win the 1st overall pick.  There's not much else to celebrate in between. 

Most teams go 7 years without the playoffs because they didn't truly start their rebuild until they missed it 3rd year in a row.  The rebuild came to them when it didn't have to be like that.  The Flames right now should sell assets to accelerate their rebuild while they have the assets to sell.  Get more young pieces and picks right now.  Otherwise it's going to be 7+ years of rebuilding.