2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

They haven't drafted anyone low-ceiling yet, and they haven't drafted anyone low-skill yet.

For this reason, I am not a complainer. 

They definitely aren't drafting by position and, theoretically, I support that.   Means you gotta trade your way there later though.   Doable, but different method.

They just did in the 4th, he’s a bottom 6 grinder who needs work…can’t complain though picks 1,2 and 3 were fantastic! 

One theme that is different with this year's draft choices all the forwards are over 6 feet with room to grow. All have skill potential and upside. The lack of movement in trades is mind-boggling, we will see how this all plays out but it appears this draft is far far coveted than most years. 

My concern right now is with Hanifn, Lindholm, Vldar, and Backs. It appears our options for this year's draft picks is non-existent. All that is left is a hockey trade. If we can get a return such as Dubois brought back then great but who's your dance partner? If we are also in on Duclair there is no way we send Hanifin there unless there is a HUGE ++++ coming back with Duclair. 

8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

They just did in the 4th, he’s a bottom 6 grinder who needs work…can’t complain though picks 1,2 and 3 were fantastic! 

I have mixed feellings.   He has some skill.   @cross16 says we should stop complaining for 5 minutes.  I will wait 5 minutes to reflect lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I have mixed feellings.   He has some skill.   @cross16 says we should stop complaining for 5 minutes.  I will wait 5 minutes to reflect lol

😂 Fair I’m not complaining he’s a good pick…solid 3rd round safe pick in other drafts so it’s not flop at all..just saying how good the first 3 picks Cgy made were…we need some 3rd and 4th liners in the system they all can’t be too 6…I’m hoping this guy turns into a V.Neminen type bottom 6…if so this could be a huge pick at no 112!

10 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

One theme that is different with this year's draft choices all the forwards are over 6 feet with room to grow. All have skill potential and upside. The lack of movement in trades is mind-boggling, we will see how this all plays out but it appears this draft is far far coveted than most years. 

My concern right now is with Hanifn, Lindholm, Vldar, and Backs. It appears our options for this year's draft picks is non-existent. All that is left is a hockey trade. If we can get a return such as Dubois brought back then great but who's your dance partner? If we are also in on Duclair there is no way we send Hanifin there unless there is a HUGE ++++ coming back with Duclair. 

I get the concern but worry not we can always target 2025 picks

in a Hanifin Deal…this years draft is just so deep it’s why a few years back I was screaming for us to trade Gaudreau for a 2023 1st rounder…just imagine if

we did that, it would have been totally worth it…

having said this, I’m kinda hoping we do

move Lindholm for a

2025 1st rounder+

also Backlund for at least a 2025 2nd 

2025 is not as deep it’s somewhere between this years draft and last years draft so the 1st 2 rounds will be solid

picks, not great picks into

the 3rd round like

this year but easily gonna be deep into the 2nd round.

2024 is not so hot 

3 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I get the concern but worry not we can always target 2025 picks

in a Hanifin Deal…this years draft is just so deep it’s why a few years back I was screaming for us to trade Gaudreau for a 2023 1st rounder…just imagine if

we did that, it would have been totally worth it…

having said this, I’m kinda hoping we do

move Lindholm for a

2025 1st rounder+

also Backlund for at least a 2025 2nd 

2025 is not as deep it’s somewhere between this years draft and last years draft so the 1st 2 rounds will be solid

picks, not great picks into

the 3rd round like

this year but easily gonna be deep into the 2nd round.

2024 is not so hot 

I am surprised we didn't do any trades, but if the price is too high then it was the right move.

I must admit I did not see the clear direction to rebuild that I was hoping for in this draft, and somewhat expecting.

I'm not really worried about it, it's coming either way.

I think we picked up a decent amount of skill and size here.   Some questions remain, but we didn't have to experience any Jankowski moments and we have a lot of high ceiling pickups.

If later drafts are cheaper, then they are probably the way to go in a trade.  There is a time premium and the best way to win trades is to use it.  Can't fix everything overnight.

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

Really like the Morin and Lipinski selections.

Suniev is an interesting prospect too. Numbers are impressive.

I would say that we have gotten players well below their ranking (for the most part).

Better than unranked or well down the list.

Not that draft ranks ever are right after the fact.