2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Sanheim only makes sense if it's part of a deal sending Hanifin and something else for Sanheim and something else.  We can't take on salary for the sake of a trade.

I took the interest as we'll move Hanifin elsewhere and then circle back to Sanheim as his replacement. 

26 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I did hear they Flames were talking Sanheim yesterday and it didn't come from Eklund. 

Sanheim is not a horrible

route, cost certainly for 8 years at the end of which he’s 35 so it’s a much better situation than Huby, Weegar and Kadri 

only 2 hiccups…Hanifin is better age alone is worth more, though the term may offset the value hard to say…but also $$$ Cgy would need to dump some salary, not

right away but eventually cause this move would put them to the cap 

Just now, MP5029 said:

Skating may need work but…that’s something that can be worked on, otherwise could be a larger version of

Gaudreau 

I defended the first two picks.

What I will say about this one is they were clearly going for a home run which is a good thing.  High risk, high ceiling.  I'm okay with that part.

If you only look at local hockey, then this guy could be the bpa with the highest ceiling.

Was he more broadly the bpa?  I'm not sure.

Just now, jjgallow said:

I defended the first two picks.

What I will say about this one is they were clearly going for a home run which is a good thing.  High risk, high ceiling.  I'm okay with that part.

If you only look at local hockey, then this guy could be the bpa with the highest ceiling.

Was he more broadly the bpa?  I'm not sure.

I’m just going by scouting reports…if his

skating were better he’d probably be a mid 1st round pick, possibly the Russian factor

dropped him too…

I definitely like the pick a lot, huge up side for sure but yes the skating is A gamble of a flop but so far it hasn’t held him back so that’s a good thing.

props to Conroy for staying away from USA born players.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

So what round is it that your drafting basically big long shots to making the nhl

Good question.  Depends a LOT on the draft year.    Most think this year's kinda like 2015 (strong draft).

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2015e.html

Odds go below 50% after round 2.

And yes as mentioned above, another big dropoff in rounds 6-7

8 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I’m just going by scouting reports…if his

skating were better he’d probably be a mid 1st round pick, possibly the Russian factor

dropped him too…

I definitely like the pick a lot, huge up side for sure but yes the skating is A gamble of a flop but so far it hasn’t held him back so that’s a good thing.

props to Conroy for staying away from USA born players.

skating is a thing for me.  but yeah he is at least skill, so full marks there :)

I"ll sleep on it lol

I too thought there were better profiles available and a couple of dmen I thought were bigger needs. 

but for me it's a lot like the first round. Sure you can argue for a different direction but I definitely don't think this is a bad pick by any means. Profiles like his are generally not found in the 3rd round. 

I think it's really clear the Flames had a mission to add some size to their forward ranks here and to their credit they are doing that without sacrificing much on skill. Perhaps they went to far but only time will tell. 

• Like 1

Just now, jjgallow said:

skating is a thing for me.  but yeah he is at least skill, so full marks there :)

I"ll sleep on it lol

I get it, I’m a huge supporter of

hood skaters too, but Conroy seems

to be mindful of skating…if

mechanics are good they can work on power etc..it’s not

certain what part of his skating is weak so I’m hopeful it’s just power and stuff they can develop…if so this kid could be a huge win of

a

pick

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I too thought there were better profiles available and a couple of dmen I thought were bigger needs. 

but for me it's a lot like the first round. Sure you can argue for a different direction but I definitely don't think this is a bad pick by any means. Profiles like his are generally not found in the 3rd round. 

I think it's really clear the Flames had a mission to add some size to their forward ranks here and to their credit they are doing that without sacrificing much on skill. Perhaps they went to far but only time will tell. 

They haven't drafted anyone low-ceiling yet, and they haven't drafted anyone low-skill yet.

For this reason, I am not a complainer. 

They definitely aren't drafting by position and, theoretically, I support that.   Means you gotta trade your way there later though.   Doable, but different method.