2023 Calgary Flames NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

Our best bets to move up in the draft probably lie with Washington (8), Detroit, (9) St. Louis (10), Vancouver (11), Arizona (12), Buffalo (13), Pittsburgh (14).

I am not sure how this draft is going to play out, Bedard is going number 1, Carlsson and Fantilli are next, Michkov and Smith are probably the next tier. After that it feels like a bit of a scramble.

There are a couple of guys that I see forming that next ledge that if we could move up I would be super happy to get, though I could see a scenario where one is available at 16, I just can’t say that they will.

Ryan Leonard, Dalibor Dvorsky, Oliver Moore, Matthew Wood, David Reinbacher, Axel Sandin Pellikka are all in my next grouping. I would be very excited to get one of them. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Our best bets to move up in the draft probably lie with Washington (8), Detroit, (9) St. Louis (10), Vancouver (11), Arizona (12), Buffalo (13), Pittsburgh (14).

I am not sure how this draft is going to play out, Bedard is going number 1, Carlsson and Fantilli are next, Michkov and Smith are probably the next tier. After that it feels like a bit of a scramble.

There are a couple of guys that I see forming that next ledge that if we could move up I would be super happy to get, though I could see a scenario where one is available at 16, I just can’t say that they will.

Ryan Leonard, Dalibor Dvorsky, Oliver Moore, Matthew Wood, David Reinbacher, Axel Sandin Pellikka are all in my next grouping. I would be very excited to get one of them. 

If it's a total fire sale, then Weegar gets us one of these picks and potentially more.

The other guy who is intriguing is Cal Ritchie, he will most likely go later in the 1st round, but apparently a lot of his lack of production this past season can be attributed to the fact that he played the year with a torn labrum.

I don’t know that he has high end offense either way, but his size and hockey IQ will make him a player in the NHL. I might have him ahead of guys like Danielson and Yager.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

The other guy who is intriguing is Cal Ritchie, he will most likely go later in the 1st round, but apparently a lot of his lack of production this past season can be attributed to the fact that he played the year with a torn labrum.

I don’t know that he has high end offense either way, but his size and hockey IQ will make him a player in the NHL. I might have him ahead of guys like Danielson and Yager.

I'm hoping Hanifin can fetch a late 1st.  Ritchie looks like a safe pick.  A for sure NHLer with medium ceiling... Maybe he finds his offense.

32 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If it's a total fire sale, then Weegar gets us one of these picks and potentially more.

I think you could trade Hanifin to VAN for at least their 1st.  No need to trade the best D we have.

If you get 7 years out of Weegar, that is likely better quality minutes than you get in the same time with Hanifin.

So, Hanifin for 1st + Hoglander or Kravtsov.  Maybe an added piece from them.

Has to be willing to sign, which maybe isn't going to happen.

The other thought is Hanifin for 8th.  Maybe they would add something.

Or 10th + Blais or Kapanen.

Or 12th + Maccelli or Crouse.

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I’ve got him at 10 or 11. Could easily see the Blues or Canucks take him.

Danielson is probably closer to a 12-16.  I also wonder where he would get picked if he was LHS.  He could drop down like Barlow.  If Barlow was RHS RW, then he's a top 10 for sure.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm hoping Hanifin can fetch a late 1st.  Ritchie looks like a safe pick.  A for sure NHLer with medium ceiling... Maybe he finds his offense.

I agree with all of this except that we want it.

Medium ceilings are readily available at little or no cost.

Imho you swing for the fences.   

But Hanifin for a late first would be okay.  Some very high-ceiling defenceman available with a late pick, from both north America and Russia. 

Hanifin, Toffoli, Lindholm are all in trade rumors right now and I would be extremely happy with all 3 being traded foe first rounders. 

20 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

He would be closer to 20 for me. Nothing really sticks out.

I just look at it as a big, RHS C. High character, a relatively young captain. Yes, an older player for this clase, but he played on a bad team. Had to do it himself most nights.

• Like 1

Some of the asst coach hirings give me a bit of a pause, including ours with Savard(Windsor) and Nashville with Derek MacKenzie(Sudbury).

It may mean nothing to the draft but both will have pretty valuable insights from the O.

Savard has only 2 years of coaching experience, both as Spitfires head coach. That is a team that we've been fairly focused with over the years. Both teams were solid. In his consecutive years, Wyatt Johnson and Matt Maggio won scoring titles. Both Windsor teams were all about offence.

Savard should have solid insights into O-based dmen though as the rounds play out. Some would be:

Cam Allen - Guelph

Quinton Burns - Kingston

Hunter Brzustewicz - Kitchener

Tristan Bertucci - Flint

Andrew Gibson - Soo

Of note is that he traded for 2nd yr draft prospect Rodwin Dionicio last year. So he could be one to watch in later rounds. Savard moved him to wing in a power fwd role. He's big and physical and offence-first.

As much as I admire our scouting, none would have done more scouting than a HC for a top team.

Derek MacKenzie - As much as I could see Buffalo taking Musty as a hometown hero pick, Nashville hired the HC attributed by all, including Musty, to Musty's overall improvements.

All-in-all, I have to think that currently, all hires from jr leagues adds another layer to scouting due to the heavy scouting they bring to the table. After that, they'd have good insights for undrafted camp invites.

I'm really happy that we've hired Savard to run the O, but also that it will help our knowledge base on young players.

We needed a jr-level coach. We have enough that know the lesser pro leagues. We've constantly promoted A coaches, so perhaps it's time to change it up a bit.

On 6/23/2023 at 6:19 PM, JTech780 said:

He would be closer to 20 for me. Nothing really sticks out.

I'm kind of with you on this.   I mean awesome that he's captain and best player on his team, rhs etc.

Is he elite though... I am torn.   And if he's not elite then he's not a first round pick we want.

Also hoping for a D

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Couple days from the draft. Who's the pick gonna be? Any guesses?

I think it's gonna be Barlow or Yager.

Also hoping for more picks....

My guess is Barlow or Perreault.

I'm hoping for a RHS... Danielson, Yager, Sandin Pellikka, and Willander in no particular order.  Only exceptions would be Wood or Moore if they fall to us.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm hoping for a RHS... Danielson, Yager, Sandin Pellikka, and Willander in no particular order.  Only exceptions would be Wood or Moore if they fall to us.

Wood is a RHS that plays his off-wing. You know, like how a lot of wingers do regardless of handedness? Oveckin and Kucherov come to mind for a start.

Guess what else? Young centers are now learning to turn their sticks around at the dot. Further flushing handedness down the toilet. Weegar, Power, Dahlin, Wallinder etc play both sides effectively.

You're waaay too hung up on handedness. It seriously doesn't matter.

I'll be largely surprised if Perrault, Barlow, Danielson or Sandin-Pellikka are available at 16. Van is rumoured to be very high on Willander.

We'll take one of Wood, Yager or Cristall. In that order is my guess.

I don't mind Wood. Yager and Cristall need a fair bit of work. I can't deny their O-talent, but everything else is going to take awhile. Size, skating, play away from the puck.

I'd still take Musty or Simashev over all 3. Far less "bust" factor imho.

Pro leagues have a nasty way of showing a lot of O-first players that this ain't jr. 5 seconds of space turns into a consistent 2 seconds awfully quickly. Check your ego at the door.lol

9 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I'm with you on the RHS.  Two stipulations though:

1.   they have to be bpa.   If you really, really really want a specific thing, upgrade to it. don't downgrade to it.

2.   Would prefer a D

12 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Couple days from the draft. Who's the pick gonna be? Any guesses?

I think it's gonna be Barlow or Yager.

Also hoping for more picks....

I am really liking how the Flames have not made any trades.

Conroy is going into the draft fully-loaded.  I think the possibility of 1 or 2 major draft trades his very high.

For this reason I'm not ruling out Reinbacher.   

There's a few though.  Willander, Pekkika, Dragicevic.

Best situation we can hope for is no trades until draft day.   Then, I kid you not, hoping we help out Treliving with those "clever moves": he makes on draft day.

37 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

1.   they have to be bpa.   If you really, really really want a specific thing, upgrade to it. don't downgrade to it.

2.   Would prefer a D

You are mentioning players that will be gone by the time we pick unless we do some kind of deal which I can't see happening only thing I see happening is the same thing we seem to do almost every draft and that is trade our pick for a 20th or something like that and a 2nd or 3rd round pick I know you guys seem to have some kind of faith in connie but he does not have a mean streak in him and he will be walked all over JMO. Do U ppl think conny can get a first for Toffoli and perhaps a 2nd or is that asking to much for him? Also Lindholm what kind a trade will we get for him I forgot these guys on there last yr perhaps connie can make some kind of deal where as if he sihns with the team he will get a better pick next yr 

2 minutes ago, zima said:

You are mentioning players that will be gone by the time we pick unless we do some kind of deal which I can't see happening only thing I see happening is the same thing we seem to do almost every draft and that is trade our pick for a 20th or something like that and a 2nd or 3rd round pick I know you guys seem to have some kind of faith in connie but he does not have a mean streak in him and he will be walked all over JMO

Defencemen often get overlooked in the draft and fall below their rankings, so I think some will be available.

Two reasons:   

1. People get caught up in the bright lights of forwards.  I mean, look at us right now.

2. GMs often don't have contracts long enough to wait for the D to develop (extra 2-3 years)

I sure hope we don't do another one of those downgrades trying to outsmart the hockey world again.   

I am, however, hoping Treliving does.  And I hope we help him.  Would be great to be on the other side of it for a change.

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Defencemen often get overlooked in the draft and fall below their rankings, so I think some will be available.

Two reasons:   

1. People get caught up in the bright lights of forwards.  I mean, look at us right now.

2. GMs often don't have contracts long enough to wait for the D to develop (extra 2-3 years)

I sure hope we don't do another one of those downgrades trying to outsmart the hockey world again.   

I am, however, hoping Treliving does.  And I hope we help him.  Would be great to be on the other side of it for a change.

I hope he stays away from BT I think he will flees us if he gets the chance do you remember what happened when Doug Risebrough got flessed by Fletcher and we ended up losing for the next 10 yrs? 

45 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

2.   Would prefer a D

Elite Prospects top 32 is interesting.

Has wood at 16, Barlow 17, Willander at 23.

McKean and Dobber have Reinbacher at 16.