GDT - Flames at Penguins - November 23, 2022 - 5:00PM MDT Start

Ryan Man

It's funny how things work out, if Markstrom had started this game, pretty sure there would not be OT.   In this game, besides the first goal Vladar was pretty much unbeatable and would have stolen this game for us.  Oh well, we take the point.   It's pretty evident this team can't score anymore; we desperately need another top 6 winger.  I would certainly hope Vladar gets the start next game with a performance like this.  The only reason we have a point tonight is Vladar.

4 minutes ago, taz89 said:

It's funny how things work out, if Markstrom had started this game, pretty sure there would not be OT.   In this game, besides the first goal Vladar was pretty much unbeatable and would have stolen this game for us.  Oh well, we take the point.   It's pretty evident this team can't score anymore; we desperately need another top 6 winger.  I would certainly hope Vladar gets the start next game with a performance like this.  The only reason we have a point tonight is Vladar.

They did score 5 in their last two games before tonight. It's not gonna be that way every night.

It wasn't their best performance. Still though, with 3 mins left Huberdeau feeds Lindholm in his wheelhouse and Jarry makes the save. Flames almost stole it in regulation. 

Important point on a night where they weren't fantastic. Could be Edmonton with 50 shots and lose 3-0.

4 minutes ago, taz89 said:

to me it looks like they need someone who can make some entries, maybe someone with wheels? I get we want scorers, but I think we have a lot of shooters and not enough mobile passers/playmakers. The flow seems off a lot. Need to get the zone, and move it around and get bodies in front. Sounds simple, but these guys are making it look hard.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

to me it looks like they need someone who can make some entries, maybe someone with wheels? I get we want scorers, but I think we have a lot of shooters and not enough mobile passers/playmakers. The flow seems off a lot. Need to get the zone, and move it around and get bodies in front. Sounds simple, but these guys are making it look hard.

Zone entries have been a problem since JG left.

The best at it are the D, but they don't know how to set up after.

But that is simplistic.

We have good % when we gain the zone on a rush.

We don't gain the zone on the rush often.

If you like, slow transition.

58 minutes ago, taz89 said:

What we need is for current top 6 wingers who have produced in the past to play up to their level.  Lewis, Ritchie and Zadorov,(even Ruzicka based on GP), shouldn't be ahead of Mangiapane, Dube or Huberdeau at around the 20 game mark of the season for goals.  I like the chances of those guys returning to form.

Could use better FO% so as to not waste time chasing the puck…Monahan last year was badly missed when he went out so too did the team play.

we need better FO% from Kadri and Lindholm can’t rely on Backlund to carry the team on that…that’s where Monahan’s skill set was so important even if injured he could still win the FO more often than Lindholm and Kadri…zone entry was Gaudreau true but the PP was all FO wins by Monahan and our PP sucked after he was gone and is sucking now.

and by contrast Mlt has a much better PP and FO win % now with Monahan…

just saying…i said trading Monahan was gonna hurt and it has!

gaudreau and Chucky were wingers…we replaced Gaudreau with Huby kinda..replaced Chucky by upgrading Ctr with a gritty play driver but at the cost of the FO master which we have not seen anyone able to do better…this team really needs another top FO guy…last year we had Backlund and Monahan (even in a limited role) was still better cause they won the FO can could control the play 1/2 the time now with only Backlund it’s 1/4 of the time…the other 3/4 of the game they chase the puck and the play off the start.

fix this and you fix zone entries, control

of play and probably see a huge increase in stats for Huby, Kadri, Manji etc…not to

mention a top 5 PP rating too.

that’s what I’m seeing….and have seen since Monahan went out..that’s why we barely made it past Dal and had our clock cleaned in the 2nd round by a team that could win the FO’s 

Sluggish 1st better second and standard third with a hot goalie is my take. I don't think we play slow as we struggle with passing and puck movement. We seem to always be standing still or booble a pass and it just slow everything down. There are very few games where we have had effective puck movement.  We don't move the puck clean when we do we are effective. We need a play driver someone to gain entry JG is missed huge with this. Our PP is not an advantage for this club its actually a disadvantage right now because of this. Lots of players were off in this game, Coleman, Mags, Toffoli. Toffoli on occassion looks to be the slowest unfit guy out there. Mags is quickly becoming a poor sign for the price tag. Can't foind the net, always get sknocked off the puck laying on the ice, he is been a huge let down this season. Hubie is coming you can see glimpses of how he is just about got this system figured out. Weegar I am still on the fence with , he is becoming more stable, could take a year. Look at how good big Z is now with a year under Sutter and what its done for Stone. Hey we got a point all on the back of Vladar. For the most part we play playoff hockey, which is going to be benefical. I must also add we need to get rid of Lucic lol

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Sluggish 1st better second and standard third with a hot goalie is my take. I don't think we play slow as we struggle with passing and puck movement. We seem to always be standing still or booble a pass and it just slow everything down. There are very few games where we have had effective puck movement.  We don't move the puck clean when we do we are effective. We need a play driver someone to gain entry JG is missed huge with this. Our PP is not an advantage for this club its actually a disadvantage right now because of this. Lots of players were off in this game, Coleman, Mags, Toffoli. Toffoli on occassion looks to be the slowest unfit guy out there. Mags is quickly becoming a poor sign for the price tag. Can't foind the net, always get sknocked off the puck laying on the ice, he is been a huge let down this season. Hubie is coming you can see glimpses of how he is just about got this system figured out. Weegar I am still on the fence with , he is becoming more stable, could take a year. Look at how good big Z is now with a year under Sutter and what its done for Stone. Hey we got a point all on the back of Vladar. For the most part we play playoff hockey, which is going to be benefical. I must also add we need to get rid of Lucic lol

Mangiapane played his best when combined with Backs and Coleman.  I haven't seen a lot of chemistry on his new line, but I will also say his shots are off just a bit with a low shottong %.  He's missed wide open nets and one timers he was gold with last year.  He's no more knocked off the puck this year than last year.  It's always been his knock.  Him and Dube share that concept.  I think you want a bigger more sturdy player with Kadri, seeing as Kardi is a grinding in your face player.

10 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Could use better FO% so as to not waste time chasing the puck…Monahan last year was badly missed when he went out so too did the team play.

we need better FO% from Kadri and Lindholm can’t rely on Backlund to carry the team on that…that’s where Monahan’s skill set was so important even if injured he could still win the FO more often than Lindholm and Kadri…zone entry was Gaudreau true but the PP was all FO wins by Monahan and our PP sucked after he was gone and is sucking now.

and by contrast Mlt has a much better PP and FO win % now with Monahan…

just saying…i said trading Monahan was gonna hurt and it has!

gaudreau and Chucky were wingers…we replaced Gaudreau with Huby kinda..replaced Chucky by upgrading Ctr with a gritty play driver but at the cost of the FO master which we have not seen anyone able to do better…this team really needs another top FO guy…last year we had Backlund and Monahan (even in a limited role) was still better cause they won the FO can could control the play 1/2 the time now with only Backlund it’s 1/4 of the time…the other 3/4 of the game they chase the puck and the play off the start.

fix this and you fix zone entries, control

of play and probably see a huge increase in stats for Huby, Kadri, Manji etc…not to

mention a top 5 PP rating too.

that’s what I’m seeing….and have seen since Monahan went out..that’s why we barely made it past Dal and had our clock cleaned in the 2nd round by a team that could win the FO’s 

Lindholm and Backlund actually have faceoff numbers that are almost identical to Monahan's.

Lindholm 54.2%

Monahan 53.7%

Backlund 53.4%

The big concern is Kadri at 43%. 

I don't put too much stock into faceoff numbers. It's more about when you win them as opposed to how many you win.