GDT - Flames at Bolts - November 17, 2022 - 5:00PM MDT Start

travel_dude

Markstrom sucks this game, hot and cold.

Backlund invisible

Lewis horrible

Toffoli weak

Hanafin weak

Coleman weak

This list can go on..., were are off tonight, the entire team didn't show up basically.

The only one standing out and working is Kadri giving some effort.

Bag skate the shi$$ out of this team and do it twice over.

No emotion , need some anger to get this team going

Just now, flames for life said:

I can’t fault the effort on offence.  40 shots!!  Aside from so-so goaltending, Calgary just does not look to be in Sync!  Too many missed passes, or ice awareness for their team mates.  I do believe it will iron out as they play longer together, but our PP misses Johnny big time.

my problem with offence is not getting in good spots to get quality shots. Volume might be good, but they're not getting anyone to the front of the net to make it harder for the other goalie, or for more chances.  A lot that I saw were gain the zone and get it on net, rinse and repeat. Not fun to watch for me.

Just now, The_People1 said:

That was such a deflating goal.  Markstrom is not sharp this season... A bad goal every two games or so.

he seems to go a few games with a bad goal and then a good one? Hard to watch this team so far this year. 

I think we know what the team is after this road trip, whether we are a lotto team or a playoff team. Need to go at least .500 on the trip. 

tired out by beach weather?

Don't get me wrong, Marky makes a bunch of saves that could easily be goals.

But when you get to get one called back and are 0-0 and 30 seconds later it's 0-1...

And when you get within a goal and immeduiately, like 10 seconds later, it's 1-3...

The number of HD chances against are bad, but 2 goals not scored on HD chances.

At best MD or LD.

Nothing more deflating when you battle back to 1 only to have your so called top goalie let a fing muffin in. This season is starting to get frustrating. You may have 40 shhots but  when you have 4 high danger chances  big deal. To  many passangers this year, Mags has been a huge disappointment this year absoultly invisible, Anderson and Hanifin are brutal. Our offense is anemic at best, we have to many no shows every night its getting old. I can't imagine what Sutter is thinking right now, cattle farming is probably more satisfing than this

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

my problem with offence is not getting in good spots to get quality shots. Volume might be good, but they're not getting anyone to the front of the net to make it harder for the other goalie, or for more chances.  A lot that I saw were gain the zone and get it on net, rinse and repeat. Not fun to watch for me.

Some of the shots low quality, but really volume should also get you more than one.

Shot count is a little misleading. Tons of shots for the Flames, but not a ton of quality. Natural Stat Trick had the high danger chances at 5 on 5 at 14-4 for TB. Hard to beat Vasilevskiy if you aren't testing him with quality chances.

The Flames didn't do a good job of "managing the moment" tonight. Lucic goal is called off, 30 seconds later TB scores. Lindholm gets the Flames within one, 10 seconds later a floater from the point goes in.

I think it was understood that goals wouldn't come as easy for the Flames as a year ago. That was also with the understanding that the Flames had an elite goalie. It's not totally fair to put this one on the goalie as he only got one goal of support. That being said, it's a save you need to make. That's not the first questionable one to sneak by either. The basic counting stats suggest that the Flames have gotten bottom 5 goaltending so far this season. 

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Shot count is a little misleading. Tons of shots for the Flames, but not a ton of quality. Natural Stat Trick had the high danger chances at 5 on 5 at 14-4 for TB. Hard to beat Vasilevskiy if you aren't testing him with quality chances.

The Flames didn't do a good job of "managing the moment" tonight. Lucic goal is called off, 30 seconds later TB scores. Lindholm gets the Flames within one, 10 seconds later a floater from the point goes in.

I think it was understood that goals wouldn't come as easy for the Flames as a year ago. That was also with the understanding that the Flames had an elite goalie. It's not totally fair to put this one on the goalie as he only got one goal of support. That being said, it's a save you need to make. That's not the first questionable one to sneak by either. The basic counting stats suggest that the Flames have gotten bottom 5 goaltending so far this season. 

100% our goaltending has been brutal this year. He does make some good saves but ahs allowed a lot of very easy stoppable biscuits this year. I can think of 3 games where there were stoppable pucks and it turned the game 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

he seems to go a few games with a bad goal and then a good one? Hard to watch this team so far this year. 

I think we know what the team is after this road trip, whether we are a lotto team or a playoff team. Need to go at least .500 on the trip. 

Too early for that call.  Playing .500 hockey until Christmas still allows the team to adjust and kill the second half of the season, but adjusting is the operative word!!

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Dennis Gilbert was okay I thought... less vanilla than Mackey.  Was willing to hit everything at every opportunity.  Decent speed for his type of hitting defenseman.

At least willing to pit a decent shot on net.  What is up with the rest of them not getting shots away.

Ras passes up shots most of the time.  Weegar is willing to put a slapper on nets.

Missing Stone, if you can believe that.

And missing the skating ability of Kyl.

10 hours ago, flames for life said:

Too early for that call.  Playing .500 hockey until Christmas still allows the team to adjust and kill the second half of the season, but adjusting is the operative word!!

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Our so called depth sure isn't very deep. Its strange that  as fans and even the talking heads felt  we had goalie depth and D depth but its all a fairy tale, as both have turned into a horror movie. I can understand the chemisrty issue with the fowards and the lack of finish but the rest is not acceptable. The biggest issues on or D right now are Hanifin and Anderson to be quite honest.  Gubransson took the pay day and its showing to be a huge mistake as he is a tire fire in CLB. If he stayed and the elevation of big Z game they would have been a soild tandem.   I hate to blame the goaltending but you have to make key saves and this year has been alot of Muffins getting by the tenders right now. However, our goal tending is worse than AHL level. HArd to win games even if you play tight D and the goalies let in soft goals. 

51 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

Our so called depth sure isn't very deep. Its strange that  as fans and even the talking heads felt  we had goalie depth and D depth but its all a fairy tale, as both have turned into a horror movie. I can understand the chemisrty issue with the fowards and the lack of finish but the rest is not acceptable. The biggest issues on or D right now are Hanifin and Anderson to be quite honest.  Gubransson took the pay day and its showing to be a huge mistake as he is a tire fire in CLB. If he stayed and the elevation of big Z game they would have been a soild tandem.   I hate to blame the goaltending but you have to make key saves and this year has been alot of Muffins getting by the tenders right now. However, our goal tending is worse than AHL level. HArd to win games even if you play tight D and the goalies let in soft goals. 

I wouldn't look at this game as a statement game.  It had a lot of similar things to games we have won and lost.

Sutter described a couple of goals as battle losses, without going to the lack of saves.

Said some guys aren't hard enough in the tough areas.  Some of these guys continue to be that way, playing too soft. 

Whether the chances were HD or just volume shots, there is no reason why we weren't making it difficult.

40 should be enough to win a game.

Pretty hard to complain about depth when you are missing two guys that make up the depth.

That would be #4 and #7 in the depth chart, leaving 8-10 as the new 6-7, if ya know what I mean.

Perhaps a poor decision to waive Valimaki instead of Mackey, as neither guy really stepped up in camp.

The forwards in the D-zone are not helping enough, mostly the wings.

Lucic is about as useful as Gaudreau, but without the breakout speed or slick stick checking.

Wingers not taking their man and giving chance to players walking in on net.

Man on man is fine, if you execute it and don't get crossed up or let your guy go.

Lastly, the goaltending from Marky has been hit and miss.

Good saves plus a lot of poor goals.

The when is killing us more than the number of them.

Two times where we make a push and less than a minute later they score a fluffy one.

Vladar hasn't been great, but he hasn't been the problem so much.

Some bad rebounds but mostly he's solid.

Would like to see more starts to get whether he has regressed or just circumstance.

Still wish we had Bennett for the grit, I too hate to say it but wish Stone was back, and somewhat Kyl..

We have the firepower but not enough grit in front of the net, nor enough emotion.  Were playing too soft i.m.o., lots of shots but low percentage quality.

Sutter needs them to get abit angry, fight harder for puck possession in the neutral zone and foremost when we can clear the puck out of our zone make it count, don't assume running the puck up the boards is a guaranteed attempt, put some damn effort in.

Goaltending needs more consistency is another concern.

Yah i'm just another couch coach but that's my thoughts for what its worth.

C'mon Flames!  Give em hell next game!