GDT Kings @ Flames Monday November 14 / 22 6:30pm Start

DirtyDeeds

32 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, I'd like to see them give him a shot. I know the NHL is not a development league, but he's a guy that has done everything that has ever been asked of him except for get bigger. Genetics are a BTC. Wouldn't it be a great story, though? Undersized kid works Hash Rate off to make hometown team. Maybe it doesn't work out - for every Martin St. Louis there are 1000 others that do get a shot, and it doesn't pan out. If that happens, put him on waivers. If he doesn't get picked up, see where he's at in the summer, and be prepared to cut your losses. If they don't play him at all this season, or wait until the last meaningless games (assuming playoff position has been established), I don't see him signing again.

Love.

And there seems to be a disconnect between Sutter and BT.  The scouts and GM seem to like the kid, but Sutter only looks at NHL and what you look like there.  Not sure how a kid that never plays a game gets a chance to show the coach he can play.  Not unless BT calls him up in an injury situation and gives the coach little choice.  You know that isn't happening.  Call him up and get him into practices.  Maybe he get a game in a B2B situation.

The big issue right now is cap.  Both Stone and Kyl are using available money and we have little extra to have barely 7D and 13F.  We are short $100k to call up Phillips.  Unless an injury presents itself on F and we actually get cap back, we can't carry an extra F.  Not besides Rooney.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think the waivers situation enters into him getting a callup.  He would have something like 10 NHL games or 30 days and be able to go back down without it.

Back to the question though.  It would be good to see him get a legit shot.  I just don't see the place that he could play.  He may be good defensively, so the chance to play with Backlund might work.  That pushes Lewis down though.  Or RW with Kadri.  Maybe that works.  Sutter seems to want a grinder in every player he has.  Ruzie?  Scoring is nice, but wants him to use his size more.  Dube?  Play the 4th line since he wasn't being hard enough on others?

I would like to see more of a hybrid than what we actually have, to a certain extent.  Less relying on slow grinders and add some speed to the lines.  Attack more on the rush and not have to grind out 3-2 victories all the time.  It takes a big toll.  So, what I am saying is that there is nothing wrong with this team calling up and playing Phillips in a scoring role.  Sutter seems to hate the idea of scoring and wants checking first.  He believes that we have nobody on the roster or in the AHL that can be a game changer by scoring all the time.

If there’s a red flag item with Sutter, this is it.  I contend he wants an aggressive tough checking team, but it comes at the cost of speed and quickness.  We saw the same thing pan out when he was GM here before.  We become a tough defensive team patterned to try to win one goal games.  As the league sped up, the Flames struggled.

it’s not a bad thing to have speedy guys that can dance in the hard areas.  They also must play to there strengths, Dube in mind.  His best game, imo, is when he is off the boards and can use his guickness in open areas.  Dube reminds me of Byron to an extent.  Dube seems to have better hand/eye coordination; Byron was so fast his hands could not catch up and he kept losing his play.  Dube doesn’t seem to have that same problem.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, flames for life said:

If there’s a red flag item with Sutter, this is it.  I contend he wants an aggressive tough checking team, but it comes at the cost of speed and quickness.  We saw the same thing pan out when he was GM here before.  We become a tough defensive team patterned to try to win one goal games.  As the league sped up, the Flames struggled.

it’s not a bad thing to have speedy guys that can dance in the hard areas.  They also must play to there strengths, Dube in mind.  His best game, imo, is when he is off the boards and can use his guickness in open areas.  Dube reminds me of Byron to an extent.  Dube seems to have better hand/eye coordination; Byron was so fast his hands could not catch up and he kept losing his play.  Dube doesn’t seem to have that same problem.

I always hated waiving Byron. Sometimes the little guy going hard and trying to lay a big hit gets his teammates revved up. Always reminded me of Cogliano. With any finish at all, they'd be popping goals left, right and center. I swear Cogliano used to get 4-5 high danger chances/game. No finish, like Byron's breakaways.

16 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I always hated waiving Byron. Sometimes the little guy going hard and trying to lay a big hit gets his teammates revved up. Always reminded me of Cogliano. With any finish at all, they'd be popping goals left, right and center. I swear Cogliano used to get 4-5 high danger chances/game. No finish, like Byron's breakaways.

I believe Byron was about 1-2 breakaways per game here and scored on none.

Different in MTL.

The waiving was stupid, all because of Ortio.

If Phillips was Byron incarnate, then that would be something.

Then we could trade him to MTL.  LOL

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I believe Byron was about 1-2 breakaways per game here and scored on none.

Different in MTL.

The waiving was stupid, all because of Ortio.

If Phillips was Byron incarnate, then that would be something.

Then we could trade him to MTL.  LOL

Byron’s success did not come on trade, but in maturity.  Once he started to put 2+2 together, he was able to slow a bit to get the shot on net.

On 11/17/2022 at 2:21 PM, conundrumed said:

Had to go back and check....no vid, Wings' Derian Hatcher blatant elbow to the head. Game 6, Flames 1-0 in OT. What a series that was. Yzerman puck to the face put him out so we started winning faceoffs.

Wings payroll:$75mil

Flames payroll:$36mil

Good mems. Loved Yelle!!

I remember feeling like we got some serious luck there when Stevie Y went out. Not sure if the Flames have that epic run to the final if he stays healthy.

• Like 1