GDT Kings @ Flames Monday November 14 / 22 6:30pm Start

DirtyDeeds

A win is a win but that should sting for Flames. I really like their first 40 and then they got on their heels and played with the same panic the did during the losing streak. Breakouts were so clean through 40 and then they couldn’t get the puck out. Just can’t find that complete 60 min effort yet, and the injuries on d are not helping. 

The game was only close because of Markstrom but you need a much better 3rd period than that. 

Good on them for being opportunistic in the first. Was nice to see them get some bounces. 

In reviewing it, the game really swung on the 4 on 4 in the 3rd. To that point the Flames had basically shutdown the Kings and were giving them nothing (Can see this on the heatmap below). Shots were 4-2 and this point and then LA outshot Calgary 8-2 the rest of the way. 

Despite how the game turned out at the end the 5 on 5 numbers were dominate for Calgary:

57% CF

64%FF

60% Shots F

72% Scoring chances for

82% High danger chances for. (only gave up 4 all game and didn't give up a 5 on 5 high danger chance in the 3rd period)

68% Expected goals for%

So a really dominate 5 on 5 game for Calgary at the end of the day even though I would have liked to, and i'm sure Sutter would agree, play with a bit more jump in the 3rd. 

Markstrom and that 4 on 4 are really what made this game close. 

Nov 14th Flames.PNG

Huska suggested that it was key mistakes during the 4v4 that swung the game.  Confused coverage, where two guys covered one Kings player, thereby leaving an open guy.  It's not like we had odd pairs though.  Ras and Hanifin for the first goal.  Tanev and Weegar for the 2nd.  I haven't reviewed the game tape to see who missed who, but the point is that we are still not talking enough out there.  Or somebody is reacting.  I can get that Weegar is unused to the style of man on man coverage, but the other guys should be used to it.

Still some work to do, but the rest of the time, we seemed very capable of covering them.  If we can do this for a high flying team, we should start to get back on track.  As long as we don't need to score more than 4 goals to win.  Goaltending needs to be better, but at least one goal was deflected back.  Some good saves and some "questionable" goals.   

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

There are two that had better camps than Phillips hat aren't in the NHL.

I still think the right call would be to pull him up ad give him 10 games early in the season.  Put him in a position to produce and see what happens.  He's 24 years old, we need to see what we got or cut bait at some point.

18 minutes ago, Addicted said:

I still think the right call would be to pull him up ad give him 10 games early in the season.  Put him in a position to produce and see what happens.  He's 24 years old, we need to see what we got or cut bait at some point.

Maybe so, but we aren't exactly doing great with a NHL roster of NHL players.

I don't know that an AHL player would fare any better.

Ruzicka is effective because he is a big body and able to use his size.

As it is, we have Mange and Dube that are somewhat struggling for position.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Huska suggested that it was key mistakes during the 4v4 that swung the game.  Confused coverage, where two guys covered one Kings player, thereby leaving an open guy.  It's not like we had odd pairs though.  Ras and Hanifin for the first goal.  Tanev and Weegar for the 2nd.  I haven't reviewed the game tape to see who missed who, but the point is that we are still not talking enough out there.  Or somebody is reacting.  I can get that Weegar is unused to the style of man on man coverage, but the other guys should be used to it.

Still some work to do, but the rest of the time, we seemed very capable of covering them.  If we can do this for a high flying team, we should start to get back on track.  As long as we don't need to score more than 4 goals to win.  Goaltending needs to be better, but at least one goal was deflected back.  Some good saves and some "questionable" goals.   

Looks to me like the Weegar goal went off his leg and changed direct so just a bad break there. 

The 4th goal looks like it was Hanifin. He's man to man on Kopitar down low and then for whatever reason pivots to the front of ice and let's Kopitar go untouched to the side. Possible that he tried to communicate with Ras but Ras had his guy so I'm not really sure what the end game was for Hanifin. Hanifin struggled all game so i'm inclined to say he was the one out of position on that goal. 

I mean Markstrom needs to make that save but ya can't have Hanifin making a basic read error like that in that situation either. 

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Looks to me like the Weegar goal went off his leg and changed direct so just a bad break there. 

The 4th goal looks like it was Hanifin. He's man to man on Kopitar down low and then for whatever reason pivots to the front of ice and let's Kopitar go untouched to the side. Possible that he tried to communicate with Ras but Ras had his guy so I'm not really sure what the end game was for Hanifin. Hanifin struggled all game so i'm inclined to say he was the one out of position on that goal. 

I mean Markstrom needs to make that save but ya can't have Hanifin making a basic read error like that in that situation either. 

That one that you are referring to I do remember.  From my view leading up to it, it seemed like nobody was covering him at all.  Huge gap, so I can't say what made him think it was a good idea.  

There are games where the pair looked good, but I don't think the Kings game was one of them.  They struggled as a pair, whether that was mostly Hanifin or not.  I think that perhaps Sutter needs to go back to a previously successful pair of Hanifin-Tanev.  That likely puts Weegar with Ras, but that may be a good thing.   

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe so, but we aren't exactly doing great with a NHL roster of NHL players.

I don't know that an AHL player would fare any better.

Ruzicka is effective because he is a big body and able to use his size.

As it is, we have Mange and Dube that are somewhat struggling for position.

Dube has been better this last game, as I see him working away from the boards a bit more.  He tends to get shut down and squeezed out when running on the sides.  Playing centre last night gave him more room to work with.

Mangie’s goal last night came from exactly where I find he is most effective-in front of the net in the high danger zone!  Expecting him to work as a playmaker takes his best work away from him.  Imo, I look at Mangie as today’s version of Mike Cammalari.  A sniper who has a great snap from the high markers, and from around the net.  Mike was never expected to be the playmaker.  He was expected to pot shots.  Mangie should have the same expectations.

24 minutes ago, flames for life said:

Dube has been better this last game, as I see him working away from the boards a bit more.  He tends to get shut down and squeezed out when running on the sides.  Playing centre last night gave him more room to work with.

Mangie’s goal last night came from exactly where I find he is most effective-in front of the net in the high danger zone!  Expecting him to work as a playmaker takes his best work away from him.  Imo, I look at Mangie as today’s version of Mike Cammalari.  A sniper who has a great snap from the high markers, and from around the net.  Mike was never expected to be the playmaker.  He was expected to pot shots.  Mangie should have the same expectations.

And nobody would ever suggest playing Cammy with Lucic.  LOL.

As far as Dube, I find as long as he is moving with the puck on his strong hand, away from the boards, he is effective.  Whether that is C or RW, he tends to not enter on the boards.

So, my point was that against some teams, Phillips MIGHT be effective.

In a lot of games in the West, he would be crushed a lot.

Yamamoto is similar in height, but a bit bigger.

He gets crushed when he has the puck and is only able to forecheck effectively.

At least IMHO.

So, we need to consider whether we want more players knocked over or want to knock over players.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

And nobody would ever suggest playing Cammy with Lucic.  LOL.

As far as Dube, I find as long as he is moving with the puck on his strong hand, away from the boards, he is effective.  Whether that is C or RW, he tends to not enter on the boards.

So, my point was that against some teams, Phillips MIGHT be effective.

In a lot of games in the West, he would be crushed a lot.

Yamamoto is similar in height, but a bit bigger.

He gets crushed when he has the puck and is only able to forecheck effectively.

At least IMHO.

So, we need to consider whether we want more players knocked over or want to knock over players.

It’s interesting that you would look at size and speed.  Yes, bruiser’s are necessary in the game, and so is speed.  
Few taller players own that shifty, sneaky speed that gets players chasing him.  McDavid, I begrudgingly accept, is one.  But most of the speedier shifty players are smaller in stature, and that came out of necessity.  

Smaller players learn quickly to dodge and duck in order to not die from the next gigantic hit coming.  Johnny was one such; Yamamoto, the same to a lesser degree.  Matthew Phillips reminds me more of Yama, but with more ability to find open spots in the key.

Fluery was probably the best example of small shifty player with big skills.  He did not play like 5’6”, but more like 6’5.  I still remember him getting slammed by McSorley, only to come back and do the exact same thing to him.  His type are a rare and special player.  
Phillips is not that guy, but still needs an opportunity to show whether or not he can actually play in the NHL, as it’s very evident there is little left to prove at the AHL level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, flames for life said:

It’s interesting that you would look at size and speed.  Yes, bruiser’s are necessary in the game, and so is speed.  
Few taller players own that shifty, sneaky speed that gets players chasing him.  McDavid, I begrudgingly accept, is one.  But most of the speedier shifty players are smaller in stature, and that came out of necessity.  

Smaller players learn quickly to dodge and duck in order to not die from the next gigantic hit coming.  Johnny was one such; Yamamoto, the same to a lesser degree.  Matthew Phillips reminds me more of Yama, but with more ability to find open spots in the key.

Fluery was probably the best example of small shifty player with big skills.  He did not play like 5’6”, but more like 6’5.  I still remember him getting slammed by McSorley, only to come back and do the exact same thing to him.  His type are a rare and special player.  
Phillips is not that guy, but still needs an opportunity to show whether or not he can actually play in the NHL, as it’s very evident there is little left to prove at the AHL level.

Put up Debrincat against Phillips for a minute.

One guy is 180, the other closer to 140.

Size is not just height.

Now put up Yamamoto against Debrincat.

153 vs 180.

I'm no expert, but the differences alone show that a smaller player has a harder time in the NHL.

Height more than weight.

Maybe Phillips is an enigma or maybe not suited for the NHL.

We shall see when we actually need (or can) call up a forward.

Phillips could get the call or Schwindt or Zary.

As of right now, we have Toffoli, Lewis, Coleman, Dube and Ritchie available at RW.

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Put up Debrincat against Phillips for a minute.

One guy is 180, the other closer to 140.

Size is not just height.

Now put up Yamamoto against Debrincat.

153 vs 180.

I'm no expert, but the differences alone show that a smaller player has a harder time in the NHL.

Height more than weight.

Maybe Phillips is an enigma or maybe not suited for the NHL.

We shall see when we actually need (or can) call up a forward.

Phillips could get the call or Schwindt or Zary.

As of right now, we have Toffoli, Lewis, Coleman, Dube and Ritchie available at RW.

Paul Byron, 5’9”/160lbs.

Had a coupla 20g seasons but is now oft-injured. Can Phillips be Byron? I’d be okay with that but I’m doubtful. He requires waivers, so the potential of losing him for nothing has to be considered. Byron was also too good for the A. Tough call. For the player’s sake, maybe just move him if he’ll never get a look.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

Paul Byron, 5’9”/160lbs.

Had a coupla 20g seasons but is now oft-injured. Can Phillips be Byron? I’d be okay with that but I’m doubtful. He requires waivers, so the potential of losing him for nothing has to be considered. Byron was also too good for the A. Tough call. For the player’s sake, maybe just move him if he’ll never get a look.

Yeah, I'd like to see them give him a shot. I know the NHL is not a development league, but he's a guy that has done everything that has ever been asked of him except for get bigger. Genetics are a BTC. Wouldn't it be a great story, though? Undersized kid works Hash Rate off to make hometown team. Maybe it doesn't work out - for every Martin St. Louis there are 1000 others that do get a shot, and it doesn't pan out. If that happens, put him on waivers. If he doesn't get picked up, see where he's at in the summer, and be prepared to cut your losses. If they don't play him at all this season, or wait until the last meaningless games (assuming playoff position has been established), I don't see him signing again.

Love.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Paul Byron, 5’9”/160lbs.

I don't think the waivers situation enters into him getting a callup.  He would have something like 10 NHL games or 30 days and be able to go back down without it.

Back to the question though.  It would be good to see him get a legit shot.  I just don't see the place that he could play.  He may be good defensively, so the chance to play with Backlund might work.  That pushes Lewis down though.  Or RW with Kadri.  Maybe that works.  Sutter seems to want a grinder in every player he has.  Ruzie?  Scoring is nice, but wants him to use his size more.  Dube?  Play the 4th line since he wasn't being hard enough on others?

I would like to see more of a hybrid than what we actually have, to a certain extent.  Less relying on slow grinders and add some speed to the lines.  Attack more on the rush and not have to grind out 3-2 victories all the time.  It takes a big toll.  So, what I am saying is that there is nothing wrong with this team calling up and playing Phillips in a scoring role.  Sutter seems to hate the idea of scoring and wants checking first.  He believes that we have nobody on the roster or in the AHL that can be a game changer by scoring all the time.