22/23 CHL Prospect Tracker

2021 Draft Class

Cole Huckins - C - 3rd round - Sherbrooke Phoenix - Unsigned - UFA 2023

Cole Huckins Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Outlook: Solid draft year followed by an unspectacular '22 season with a prolonged absence from the team.  New team for '23 will see how it goes.

Cameron Whynot - D - 3rd round - Halifax Mooseheads - Unsigned - UFA 2023

Cameron Whynot Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Outlook: Disappointing '22 season, solid production to start '23 I hope he makes it just for his name.

Cole Jordan - D - 5th round - Moose Jaw Warriors - Unsigned - UFA 2023

Cole Jordan Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Outlook: He is a good player, but doesn't offer much in terms of wow, also hasn't played a lot of hockey over the past 3 years.

Jack Beck - LW - 6th round - Ottawa 67's - Unsigned - UFA 2023

Jack Beck Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Outlook: This guy fits the mold for those who complain that all we do is draft small LHS LW's, but it's not his fault he's the most promising of the bunch.  Strong season last year with some health issues and already off to a great start in '23.  We need to get this guy inked soon.

Lucas Ciona - LW - 6th round - Seattle Thunderbirds 

Lucas Ciona Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Outlook: Strong season and playoffs last year, definition of a safe late pick very high probability he goes pro, very low probability he is anything more than a 4th liner in the NHL

2022 Draft Class

Parker Bell - LW - 5th round - Tri-City Americans - Unsigned - UFA 2024

Parker Bell Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Outlook: Big player with a good shot, played on a horrible team last year.  

Overall not too much to get excited about in the CHL this year for current prospects, but given the highest picks are in the 3rd round and the lack of picks in '22 it should be expected.  I am definitely not too keen on trading away picks this year.

• Like 2

I'm excited for Beck. On Team Canada's radar for the WJC and interesting to see his early season assist totals. More of a goal scorer the last few years so be interesting to see if he rounds out his game. 

Whynot is a project but one that has some upside if he can round out some issues. Be great to see him take a big step. 

In all honesty no one else intrigues me. 

Question will be can he repeat it but for now i'ts a monster week in the Dub for Lucas Ciona. 

Seattle is a very good team mind you but he'll be interesting to watch to see if he can take a jump offensively. That was the question of him when they picked him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2022 at 6:19 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Ciona looked really good in Seattle's run to the Final last year. Good chance the T-Birds make another deep run this year.

I think he will get a contract. The Flames lack size in their prospect pool right now and Ciona certainly brings that. 

You called it.  Just signed his ELC.

17 points in first 9 games.

Yep, another LW.

Whatever, we need a LW that can play a heavy game.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:19 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

Ciona looked really good in  Seattle's run to the Final last year. Good chance the T-Birds make another deep run this year.

I think he will get a contract. The Flames lack size in their prospect pool right now and Ciona certainly brings that. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/4/2023 at 3:34 PM, cross16 said:

Might be more intrigue to their last draft class than I first thought

Wow, Carter Bell Really pulling away from the competition, that is a big leap for a big guy.

At the time he was drafted I was like...why...why did we go with yet another LW.    But I'm forgiving that now.

Whoever scouted him nailed it for a 5th rounder.      Since negatives are my specialty, again he is a LW and he is on a stacked team.  But even with that I am paying attention now big itme.

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

He isn't in the CHL but more acolades for the last draft class. 

December has been a kind month for Flames prospects

Meh.   He'll need to jump up a whole other gear.   Not bad for a 7th rounder but there may have been better choices out there.   Glad you have me blocked for this response, not worth the arguement.

Carter Bell though....wow.   Very rarely is a jump seen like that in junior from a 6'4 player.  Very very interesting.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Wow, Carter Bell Really pulling away from the competition, that is a big leap for a big guy.

At the time he was drafted I was like...why...why did we go with yet another LW.    But I'm forgiving that now.

Whoever scouted him nailed it for a 5th rounder.      Since negatives are my specialty, again he is a LW and he is on a stacked team.  But even with that I am paying attention now big itme.

Yo man you called me out for being negative the same day I post this lol.

I'm not actually all negative, it's just that I'm interested in things that actually matter.   Carter Bell great news.  

This thread is dead, like the draft thread and other prospect threads, cause everybody's focused on watching the Flames lose and our 20-year fan quest to trade for a center.   Fine ok.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Jack Beck is back!!

Returned Jan. 5th and has 2g/2a in 3 games.

A 3 game set Feb 3-5th through my area, I'm hoping to catch vs Flint on the 4th and the Sting on the 5th.

Finally...never easy to catch teams in the other conference, last year was all inter-conference regular season.

Can this guy just stay healthy please? I feel for the kid as it seems to be mostly random injuries/illnesses but it looks like there is something there if he can just stay healthy. 

Not much to say, Sarnia dominated the whole game but lost 2-0. Beck is the PP QB and had some chances. Both goalies were good but Sarnia really dominated the zone time, by a lot.

If Gaudreau can play like this consistently, Sarnia can make some noise. Very lucky win by Ottawa. Sarnia did a tidy job at tdl and look really good as it comes together.

Realistically this should have been a 7-2 win. ALL over Ottawa, the top team in the O. Couldn't buy a bounce.

Time to watch Ontario Hockey Academy(Cornwall) win the Silver Stick.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Not to get too off topic but if you want great live hockey for free, go watch u18(midget). Calgary/Edmonton have a wealth of the top teams in the country. Used to enjoy Royals/Buffaloes games occasionally. Now when I look at Cdn Midget AAA rankings Calgary dominates.

https://myhockeyrankings.com/rank.php?y=2022&v=158

I used to be a rink rat in Acadia for a season when the Buffaloes played there, games actually weren't free then, but when you work the games you just flood the ice and then watch for the next flood.  Was over 20 years ago now but many memories, saw Shannon Szabados play for an Edmonton team probably more notable players back then but she obviously stood out because of the gender but still cool to see the top female goalie in the country and one of the best ever play at that level.  Also some of the vet rats told me the best game to work was the last one before Christmas as the team would usually buy a case of beer for the rink rats, lucky me I got the game as I was a student and only really worked weekends, unlucky me the cooling plant quit overnight and being on a Sunday and right before Christmas nobody could come and fix it that day, needless to say the ice was brutal and we got no beer.  The other story is the trainer on that team was a really friendly guy always chatting up the rink staff and actually joining in the players in practice and usually joking around, the last game of the year they needed to beat the last place team to make the playoffs and they didn't, shortly after the game the trainer comes up and asks what time we opened the next day, I told him the time and he said "okay I want these guys to get their sh*t out of here first thing, this is the worst f*cking team we've ever had".  Can't think of notable players on that team, but Chad Johnson was on the next years team but I was one and done with that job but I do enjoy seeing players like Eberle and Point come up from that program.

• Like 1