Flames 22/23 Lineup

travel_dude

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yes sign him. Play him.  Give him the 10 games to burn one year to entice him to commit to the Flames. He is what we need come April.  A RHS RW with offense.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but the NCAA finals is April 8/9.

That leaves 2 games left at most.

If they were eliminated before then, he might get a few more games.

As it stands now there won’t be a trade to help our lineup before the new year. So I was thinking about our line combos. 
Mang-Backs-Coles (there good just leave it alone)

Ruzie-Lindy-Toffee (has shown some great chemistry and to me Rosie has made the other two look good).

Dube-Kadri-Mang (looked great early on, but have sputtered lately, and can’t seem to gain control in the o zone, lots of grit, not enough size to play that game)

Hubie-Lindy-Tofee (to me isn’t better than the line with Rosie)

Hubie-Backs-Coles (same as above, ok, just meh)

And I don’t really want to talk about the fourth line, unless I’m allowed to include some Wranglers.

All that being said what hasn’t been working have revolves around Kadri and Hubie (not that they’re bad), just seem to be having a hard time meshing or adjusting. 
Last year Kadri had Rantanen and Nichuskin on his wings, big strong powerful players. Last year Hubie played with Bennet and Duclair.

What if we tried:

Hubie (similar to Rantanen) - Kadri (similar/better than Bennet) - Ruzie (could be looking to be a breakout player, plays like Nichushkin, has a shot like Duclair)

Then we can stop trying to rethink the Backs line, and just let Mang and Cole’s be comfortable with Backs.

That leaves us with Dube - Lindy -Toffee.

If that gets Kadri and Hubie going, it opens up space for the other two lines. Which is a collective win.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

As it stands now there won’t be a trade to help our lineup before the new year. So I was thinking about our line combos. 
Mang-Backs-Coles (there good just leave it alone)

Ruzie-Lindy-Toffee (has shown some great chemistry and to me Rosie has made the other two look good).

Dube-Kadri-Mang (looked great early on, but have sputtered lately, and can’t seem to gain control in the o zone, lots of grit, not enough size to play that game)

Hubie-Lindy-Tofee (to me isn’t better than the line with Rosie)

Hubie-Backs-Coles (same as above, ok, just meh)

And I don’t really want to talk about the fourth line, unless I’m allowed to include some Wranglers.

All that being said what hasn’t been working have revolves around Kadri and Hubie (not that they’re bad), just seem to be having a hard time meshing or adjusting. 
Last year Kadri had Rantanen and Nichuskin on his wings, big strong powerful players. Last year Hubie played with Bennet and Duclair.

What if we tried:

Hubie (similar to Rantanen) - Kadri (similar/better than Bennet) - Ruzie (could be looking to be a breakout player, plays like Nichushkin, has a shot like Duclair)

Then we can stop trying to rethink the Backs line, and just let Mang and Cole’s be comfortable with Backs.

That leaves us with Dube - Lindy -Toffee.

If that gets Kadri and Hubie going, it opens up space for the other two lines. Which is a collective win.

I don't think Sutter has tried Hubie and Kadri together for some reason. I kind of think Huberdeau needs speed and pace as a line. I dunno if and how much faster Kadri would be. But he seems to want to play with pace. Plus, people here have said Huberdeau prefers a LS C. Why not go Kadri.

49 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don't think Sutter has tried Hubie and Kadri together for some reason. I kind of think Huberdeau needs speed and pace as a line. I dunno if and how much faster Kadri would be. But he seems to want to play with pace. Plus, people here have said Huberdeau prefers a LS C. Why not go Kadri.

I have this crazy feeling that Ruzicka is exactly the right player for Hubey.

Just an overlap in position.

I also think we are one player short in the top 9.

Dube and Mange connected on a pass but it was LW to C.

I do like Mange on the RW but not with Dube on LW.

Maybe Ruzie?

Okay so I am all over the map.

We need another Ruzie to balance out the aize on the top 9.

I get the reluctance to try Kadri -Huberdeau. I was for it in the offseason because I think Huberdeau needs someone who is effective in transition but I think the problem i'm seeing is that Huberdeau and Kadri are the same player once the puck gets into the o zone. They both want the puck and both are best with the puck on their stick so I see that clashing. Not to mention I can also understand the hesitation around combining your 2 best playmakers.

I actually don't think Huberdau-Lindholm and Toffoli have been bad since being put back together. Haven't been great sure, but they've been pretty good. I personally would like to see either Mang or Coleman trid up there instead of Toffoli. I think that line needs someone who can push the pace in transition and both Mang/Coleman fit that skillset. 

Huberdeau-Lindholm -Coleman

Mang - Kadri- Toffoli

Ruzicka - Backs- Dube

Lucic - Rooney - Lewis

Is what I would try. 

9 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Huberdeau-Lindholm -Coleman

Mang - Kadri- Toffoli

Ruzicka - Backs- Dube

Lucic - Rooney - Lewis

Is what I would try. 

Sure, that might be worth a look.  I am a bit hesitant to try 3 centers on Backlund's line.

Maybe there is a slight adjustment that meshes better with Kadri, since I find Mange there a bit rough.

Ruzicka-Kadri-Toffoli

Mangiapane-Backlund-Dube

I think that using Backlund with Dube and Mange helps get them into the zone in transition.

Backlund is one of the better transition players, so there is less struggle on the boards.

Dube and Mange are better on the rush, from what I have seen.

Ruzicka helps Kadri with a bit better possession so it's not a one and done so much.

The big body also meshes with Kadri's game.

Toffoli is one option for a sniper.

The unfortunate thing is we never got practices with Kadri playing with others.

He was held out due to the long playoffs, so we just went with placeholders.

So changes are one practice and Sutter makes a change if he likes the immediate look.

There has been a lot of focus on what he hasn't done, but what hasn't been talked about enough is how Huberdeau has flipped the script this year. Gone from a poor defensive player to a top end one. Yes it's at the expense of his offense but this is the same transition Gaudreau went through when Sutter got here and we all know it's how he works. 

Weegar has also come as advertised just doesn't have the raw totals to show for it. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

I still think that we should give 

Hubey-Kadri-Ruzie a try.

Then build a similar line to last year with

Phillips-Lindy-Mang

Leave our third line as a good d line with

Coles-Backs-Toffee

Give this last line some life

Little Z - Dube - Lewis

I do think that Rozie is just adapting to LW from his natural position, so I would be wary.

While I like your 4th line (Dube is better at C), I think they found that Toffee with Backlund wasn't great.

I do think there is some problems with the construction of the top line though.

It's either Lindholm or Toffoli or both.

For one game it would be fun to swap Ruzie with Hubey.

Ruzicka-Lindholm-Toffoli

Dube-Kadri-Mangiapane

Huberdeau-Backlund-Phillips

Coleman-Zohorna-Lewis

That would be interesting.  Hubey with Backlund works, maybe a guy that goes to the net would help.

Today's expected lines based on skate.  Weegar is possibly a scratch, may be illness related:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Dube-Kadri-Mangiapane

Ruzicka-Backlund-Phillips

Coleman-Zohorna-Lewis

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Tanev

Mackey-Stone

Mackstrom

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I do think that Rozie is just adapting to LW from his natural position, so I would be wary.

While I like your 4th line (Dube is better at C), I think they found that Toffee with Backlund wasn't great.

I do think there is some problems with the construction of the top line though.

It's either Lindholm or Toffoli or both.

For one game it would be fun to swap Ruzie with Hubey.

Ruzicka-Lindholm-Toffoli

Dube-Kadri-Mangiapane

Huberdeau-Backlund-Phillips

Coleman-Zohorna-Lewis

That would be interesting.  Hubey with Backlund works, maybe a guy that goes to the net would help.

Today's expected lines based on skate.  Weegar is possibly a scratch, may be illness related:

Huberdeau-Lindholm-Toffoli

Dube-Kadri-Mangiapane

Ruzicka-Backlund-Phillips

Coleman-Zohorna-Lewis

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Tanev

Mackey-Stone

Mackstrom

I thought they tried Rosie on the top line with EL and TT? When huber was out? I think Dube is a good center, especially on a 4th energy line. He could be so impactful. One like that I would actually like to see is Hubie-Ruzie-Phillips. 

Just now, pikey7883 said:

I thought they tried Rosie on the top line with EL and TT? When huber was out? I think Dube is a good center, especially on a 4th energy line. He could be so impactful. One like that I would actually like to see is Hubie-Ruzie-Phillips. 

Yes, on LW.  I thought you were suggesting they try him on RW with Hubey and Ladri.

Saw this, but not sure if accurate:

Huberdeau-Backlund-Toffoli

Dube-Kadri-Mangiapane

Ruzicka-Zohorna-Phillips

Coleman-Lewis-Ritchie

How about that kid line.

Would not Rozie be better at C?

Oh well, Phillips is used to Little Z at C.

Technically, he used to both players.

Recently Zoh, last year Rozie at C.

Overall the team has good pieces.

Just can't seem to bake a cake with what we have.

Either we drop shells in the batter or we drop the cake coming out of the oven.

It seems like the ingredients may be right, but the order or amounts are off.

Get a fudge brownie instead of a chocolate cake.

A brownie with wallnuts.