Prospecting for Gold

45 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Our circumstances have changed. I was good with Rodrigues, but not now.

Last year was a complete outlier for so many players that I like to remove it from everyone.

Now remove his year last year, as a 29 yr old.

There is really nothing there but a "maybe" bottom 6.

https://www.nhl.com/player/evan-rodrigues-8478542

I think you need to dig a little deeper into the stats to see why he is 29 and had one breakout season.

Only has two NHL seasons where he player more than 70 games.

Did the full 4 years in BC.

Played in Buffalo.

He isn't my first choice, but you get him for just salary.

He doesn't work out, you waive him and have no penalty.

Find a RHS C out there you can get for Hanifin that is worth the money.

In the Zary draft I really wanted us to take a D. I wasn't thrilled with the trade down. Feels like we do that a bit too often. 

Schneider seemed to have a decent rookie campaign. I think JJ and I, maybe Peoples too, we're hoping for something like that at the time...

I hope Zary can still make it. Along with Valamaki, a few prospects where injuries have hampered their development. 

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

In the Zary draft I really wanted us to take a D. I wasn't thrilled with the trade down. Feels like we do that a bit too often. 

Schneider seemed to have a decent rookie campaign. I think JJ and I, maybe Peoples too, we're hoping for something like that at the time...

I hope Zary can still make it. Along with Valamaki, a few prospects where injuries have hampered their development. 

I wanted Dawson Mercer the most... When he was taken one pick before ours.. ouch.

I feel had we had Mercer in the last playoff run, then we could've got passed the Oilers.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I wanted Dawson Mercer the most... When he was taken one pick before ours.. ouch.

I feel had we had Mercer in the last playoff run, then we could've got passed the Oilers.

I don't think we would have Mercer playing last year, but I could be wrong.

Since he went beore we would have picked without a trade, it's kinda pointless.

2020 is still way too early to be critical.  The #1 and #2 were outperformed by the 3,4,6,12,13 and 18th picks, and Monahan outproduced the top picks from his draft year after the first 4 years of his career.  We can re-evaluate in 3 years and then come to more of a conclusion in 10, but ridiculous now to say what was right or wrong when most of these guys are still under 21.

How good can Poirier be? Has anyone had a lot of hairy eyeballs on him? From what I've read, he was clearly the best player at rookie camp and has been working on cleaning up his D game without sacrificing his O game. Can we get the Penticton Tourney going already? And will it be televised?

My only other thing I'm thinking right now is I am completely hopeful that Ruzicka and Pelletier force Sutter to keep them this year.

We only have Dube <25 yrs old. I'm a fan of needing a bit of exuberant youth around

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

How good can Poirier be? Has anyone had a lot of hairy eyeballs on him? From what I've read, he was clearly the best player at rookie camp and has been working on cleaning up his D game without sacrificing his O game. Can we get the Penticton Tourney going already? And will it be televised?

My only other thing I'm thinking right now is I am completely hopeful that Ruzicka and Pelletier force Sutter to keep them this year.

We only have Dube <25 yrs old. I'm a fan of needing a bit of exuberant youth around

That a lot of topics.

I believe I had reead that the Penticton games will be streamed on Flames site.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Poirier has come a long way in his defensive play. -42 in his rookie year to +30 last year.

All while putting up numbers indicative of being a gifted offensive player.

He is one of the prospects we have that I am most excited about.

Hope to watch him a bit more this season

• Like 1