Mackenzie Weegar

Thebrewcrew

10 minutes ago, zima said:

That goes both ways doesn't it who's to say he really wants to be here talk is cheap just because he says he is excited doesn't make it so whats is he going to say I hate the trade and want out ? He is going to say what we want to hear JH said he loves it here yet he left us with out even the ability to get a pick out of it and I doubt it just happened that way he knew what he was doing and made sure CBJ got him for free nice guy. Again talk is cheap.

It really doesn't. The point is unless you know him personally you have no idea what he is thinking. So statements like "it's obvious he doesn't want to be here" is pure speculation and IMO useless. I see no value in basing on opinion or "worrying" about pure speculation. 

I can understand opinions or a discussion around if Weegar isn't signed by X date then i would trade him. I wouldn't personally and he won't be but I can understand that point of view. Trading a player based on baseless speculation (such as he doesn't want to be here) I don't and won't understand. 

Ok as far as in concerned if he wanted to be here he would have signed at least a 2-3 yr term of course it is just my opinion and we all know I have half a brain but what's left of my brain tells me he is not willing to make a commitment to stay long term  and your right it is not Obvious but in my little mind it tells me it is. Being wrong is a common thing for me but I do have an opinion wrong or not.

44 minutes ago, zima said:

Ok as far as in concerned if he wanted to be here he would have signed at least a 2-3 yr term of course it is just my opinion and we all know I have half a brain but what's left of my brain tells me he is not willing to make a commitment to stay long term  and your right it is not Obvious but in my little mind it tells me it is. Being wrong is a common thing for me but I do have an opinion wrong or not.

You are funny.  It's a very complicated deal to negotiate.  Huberdeau's was simple, since he was basically getting the exact same deal we offered Gaudreau.  Even then, it took some time.  With Weegar, he will be potentially signing for the highest paid Flames D man.  That's the simple part of the negotiation.  The more difficult part is we have other players coming up in a couple of years for extensions.  Lindholm and Hanifin to be specific.  Not to mention Kylington, Tanev, Backlund, etc.... You have to make sure it's all going to work.

14 minutes ago, zima said:

I was going to comment on your tread but I C now I am not going to get any where I give up you win lol

I'm just arguing the points.  Feel free to disagree if you like.  If you are right in the end, then we get a good trade return.  If you are wrong then we get a good player for a long time.

I'm usually wrong and I'm ok with that I just feel he would have come to an agreement before the season started but saying that the season has not started quite yet hope I spelt that right ;). Every one says he is a good player just hope he is as good as Gio was or is Gio is still my guy on D even though he is no longer a Flame. Gio doesn't seemed to have lost a step yet from what IK saw with To but you guys watch way more hockey than I do for some reason I seem to have lolst patients with watching a full game lately and that realy sucks.

When the trade was made, I felt that Weegar was more likely to sign than Huberdeau.

As we saw in Penticton, the Flames are thin at D, outside of the NHL level. They are even thinner at RHD. We're talking about Tanev heading into a season where he turns 33, he's been great, but you have to wonder how long he can fight off Father Time. It just makes too much sense for the Flames.

I do think they will get a deal done. These things take time, as others have said, the Huberdeau deal was pretty simple. The Gaudreau offer was leaked, Huberdeau is the same age and they both had 115pts. Pretty straight forward. This one is a little more complex as Weegar is a bit of a late bloomer. 7x8 is where I could see it ending up. 

Weegar, agent pushing Flames to get extension done before season starts (sportsnet.ca)

I'm all for this, and I'm assuming the number is the sticking point because Weegar hasn't historically been as good as he has been the last couple of seasons. But, to come outright and say he wants to stay here long term... get it done BT. Before the season starts. He wants to be here. GFG!

"I want a long-term deal here," Weegar said. "Being here, the guys have been great and the city is very warm and welcoming." 

"My best buddy Huby, I'd love to spend another five, six, seven, eight years here with him. ... I think all the pieces are here to be a successful team for years to come," Weegar added.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, zima said:

I am so confused almost every one on this site had a problem with Gio 6 mil contract but this seems fine I don't get Gio produced more points and was the best D we had in a long time?

I think you're confusing decades. Plus I don't recall mass complaints with Gio's deal. Compare Weegar's deal with Nurse's and get happy.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, zima said:

I am so confused almost every one on this site had a problem with Gio 6 mil contract but this seems fine I don't get Gio produced more points and was the best D we had in a long time?

Actually the response was the same. Good AAV, good value in the short term but let's see how it ages. 

Gio's deal aged very well, we shall see how Weegars does. 

20 minutes ago, zima said:

I think Gio critics are in the minority, they just happen to be loud.  When he signed his last one here he was 32 so there was concern with how it would age, in the end the guy is probably one of the greatest bargain players this team has ever had, a Norris season in 2019 at under 7M was tremendous the problem is for some reason some didn't anticipate his decline and he became a scapegoat for some.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yes.  One can dream.  😀

Or a joy to be the current against consensus, which is typically just a mob mentality trying to morph opinion into fact. I find  it’s wrong enough times to make it worth swimming against the current of opinion.

We’ll see, I guess.