Mackenzie Weegar

Thebrewcrew

On 8/21/2022 at 1:53 AM, 7wit said:

$5.5M-6M x 6 years is good value if BT can do it. I know he’s good and several of you would pay more. He’s a late round late bloomer. From a business standpoint though I hope the numbers come in around there otherwise we may have to move out someone else who is much younger like Hanifin sooner or later. Of course if Hanifin is moved anyway for another forward piece sooner I could see the flames offer $750k-1M more per season. I still would hope he comes in at $5.5M-$6M per year because I would hate cap jail down the road...

Not that I want to give him $7per, but the market dictates. I doubt $6per gets it done.

The comparables there are Pionk, Schmidt, Myers, Brodin, Pulock, Petry, Morrissey.

He's above them.

At $6.5 per that's around Krug, Faulk, Parayko, Lindholm, Provorov and that's closer.

$7+ would be the beginning of contracts either not aging well or won't, outside of the truly elite dmen.

I think Spurgeon is a good comparable, He signed for 6yrs x $7.575 in 2020.

I'd sign him for 8 at $5.5-$6, I'd love it.

I just don't think it's realistic in this market.

Him and Dumba will be the hottest D commodities for UFA next year. And Klefbom if he returns to what he was, which is probably highly unlikely.

Klingberg also, but I don't like his odds atm.

Those 2, with solid seasons which I expect, will be in control of $8.5-$9.

I hope we can sign Weegar now at $6.75-$7.25. I know those are big numbers, but I've watched a lot of FLA in the past 2 years. That number is going up a mil if he hits UFA.

Really good dmen are only getting more expen$ive. Lock him in now. It'll be a bargain for the first few years at least, and I believe that it will age well as salaries escalate.

On 8/23/2022 at 8:48 AM, conundrumed said:

Not that I want to give him $7per, but the market dictates. I doubt $6per gets it done.

The comparables there are Pionk, Schmidt, Myers, Brodin, Pulock, Petry, Morrissey.

He's above them.

At $6.5 per that's around Krug, Faulk, Parayko, Lindholm, Provorov and that's closer.

$7+ would be the beginning of contracts either not aging well or won't, outside of the truly elite dmen.

I think Spurgeon is a good comparable, He signed for 6yrs x $7.575 in 2020.

I'd sign him for 8 at $5.5-$6, I'd love it.

I just don't think it's realistic in this market.

Him and Dumba will be the hottest D commodities for UFA next year. And Klefbom if he returns to what he was, which is probably highly unlikely.

Klingberg also, but I don't like his odds atm.

Those 2, with solid seasons which I expect, will be in control of $8.5-$9.

I hope we can sign Weegar now at $6.75-$7.25. I know those are big numbers, but I've watched a lot of FLA in the past 2 years. That number is going up a mil if he hits UFA.

Really good dmen are only getting more expen$ive. Lock him in now. It'll be a bargain for the first few years at least, and I believe that it will age well as salaries escalate.

These are great points. Weegar had a great year last year and many feel that currently he is a top 30 d man in the league. He is probably even better than Spurgeon and has more reach/size. I just have this thing about signing d men past 35 years old and what if he doesn’t perform as well as he did in FLA. There’s more wear and tear on them vs forwards.

If they can move Hanifin out I would be ok with the higher pay. I just can’t see the flames paying them both in that range and Weegar is better than Hanifin. Maybe an 8 year deal at $6.75M for 6 years and then 2 years at $5.5M. I don’t even know if that’s possible. So maybe $6.75M for 6 years is where it’s at. Perhaps they are working on a couple of deals to move others out and then sign Weegar to a longer term contract. We definitely need to lock him up long term.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 11:20 PM, 7wit said:

These are great points. Weegar had a great year last year and many feel that currently he is a top 30 d man in the league. He is probably even better than Spurgeon and has more reach/size. I just have this thing about signing d men past 35 years old and what if he doesn’t perform as well as he did in FLA. There’s more wear and tear on them vs forwards.

If they can move Hanifin out I would be ok with the higher pay. I just can’t see the flames paying them both in that range and Weegar is better than Hanifin. Maybe an 8 year deal at $6.75M for 6 years and then 2 years at $5.5M. I don’t even know if that’s possible. So maybe $6.75M for 6 years is where it’s at. Perhaps they are working on a couple of deals to move others out and then sign Weegar to a longer term contract. We definitely need to lock him up long term.

Why is every one wanting to move hani is he a bad D man does he make lots of mistakes? If every one wants him out then he is not a good player if thats the case then who in there right mind would take him on or should we give away another first for some one to take him as well. I mean why not BT is given up first rounders before he even sees what mony does this yr huge mistake BT should be moved just for that stupid move alone. I know every one is so happy we got Hub and luckily signed for 8 yrs but of course after about the 4th yr we will be buying him out we paid Montreal to take Mony for a first and signed Kadri who we also will buy out in 4-5 yrsI don't understand why we allow management to set us back another 7-10 yrs ? Sure for the next few short yrs we might get pass the second round but was that worth what we have given up in a first and mony so what if he produces 30 goals is there any deal like with Neil where if he produces 30 goals we get a 3rd rounder? 

What does trading Mony and a conditional, lotto protected 1st round pick, signing Kadri, getting, and then signing, Huberdeau have to do with Weegar? 

You are making a number of assumptions with absolutely no logical reasoning. First there is no evidence that Huberdeau or Kadri will be bought out before the end of their contracts (they were not structured in a way that this makes any sense). Unless you are psychic, you are using conjecture at best.

Second, I will be happy for Monahan if he gets back to 30 goals. He is simply not trending that way. It is great to hope the best for him, but he is 3 seasons away from a 30 goal season. He has been a - player the past 3 seasons and never played a physical game. He has always had an elite shot, but has undergone 2 wrist surgeries. 2 herniated discs repaired, groin surgery and both hips don’t help the fact that he was already on the slower side of skating.

You can point to many players who remained effective after one or 2 surgeries, regardless of severity, though few remained at the top of their games. Monahan has had 7 surgeries in 4 years. 

Monahan also only has 1 year left under contract. If he doesn’t hit 20 goals, he isn’t worth his cap hit at over 6 mil so many would complain about that. Moving him allowed the team to sign Kadri, who will likely be more effective for the role.

Lindholm is better than Monahan so Mony would be 2nd line at best, (without Kadri) and still wouldn’t have the playmaker play driving wing he needs to be successful.

Weegar, whom this thread is about, is a great addition to the Flames D corps. He pushes Hanifin to second pair where he should be. He also makes 2 of Hanifin, Kylington and Valimaki expendable IF he signs an extension before the season starts.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/28/2022 at 11:13 PM, bosn111 said:

What does trading Mony and a conditional, lotto protected 1st round pick, signing Kadri, getting, and then signing, Huberdeau have to do with Weegar? 

You are making a number of assumptions with absolutely no logical reasoning. First there is no evidence that Huberdeau or Kadri will be bought out before the end of their contracts (they were not structured in a way that this makes any sense). Unless you are psychic, you are using conjecture at best.

Second, I will be happy for Monahan if he gets back to 30 goals. He is simply not trending that way. It is great to hope the best for him, but he is 3 seasons away from a 30 goal season. He has been a - player the past 3 seasons and never played a physical game. He has always had an elite shot, but has undergone 2 wrist surgeries. 2 herniated discs repaired, groin surgery and both hips don’t help the fact that he was already on the slower side of skating.

You can point to many players who remained effective after one or 2 surgeries, regardless of severity, though few remained at the top of their games. Monahan has had 7 surgeries in 4 years. 

Monahan also only has 1 year left under contract. If he doesn’t hit 20 goals, he isn’t worth his cap hit at over 6 mil so many would complain about that. Moving him allowed the team to sign Kadri, who will likely be more effective for the role.

Lindholm is better than Monahan so Mony would be 2nd line at best, (without Kadri) and still wouldn’t have the playmaker play driving wing he needs to be successful.

Weegar, whom this thread is about, is a great addition to the Flames D corps. He pushes Hanifin to second pair where he should be. He also makes 2 of Hanifin, Kylington and Valimaki expendable IF he signs an extension before the season starts.

Excellent post.

Now can we just get that extension done?

• Like 1

On 9/7/2022 at 9:05 AM, conundrumed said:

Excellent post.

Now can we just get that extension done?

You would think both sides would want this deal done pretty quick, before the season starts, to eliminate risk.

Weegar runs the risk of not fitting into the Sutter system and his salary dropping in half of what it's forecast now.

The Flames run the risk of him dominating and leaving which would not go over well after Gaudreau/Tkachuk.

Still expecting a deal to be done soon.   

10 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I think he is going to prove to be our 2nd best D. It will cost us a lot more later if we don't sign him now before season.

T. I’m guessing the number is currently around $6.5 longterm, how to format it is maybe the holdup? There’s risk for both sides in not getting it done. But I’d understand if Weegar wants to go to market after a year with Sutter.

Sutter definitely trended his dmen upwards last year.

A solid year and Weegar will be in high demand.

11 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Just throw him 7x7 right now and get it over with already. It is 0.5 over rumoured. Get him done!

31 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Yup. He could go for higher with a solid season, which I think is in the cards.

I just hate the idea of a delay that could be just $500k.  Yes, every dollar is important, but this shouldn't be that difficult.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Friedman speculating that Weegar's preference (as it most players) is to not negotiate during the season.

My understanding is Weegar's agent is a family member and Weegar is his only client. Be curious to see how that negotiation is going. 

I copied this from the other thread as it probably belongs here:

hoping a deal gets done with Weegar before. I guess a year of him plus Huberdeau, Schwindt, and a 1st is still a big win for the Tkachuk deal. We were going to lose Tkachuk after the season anyways. 

we would probably think the deal without Weegar would be a huge win, but I'd have loved to have signed Weegar to the extension before the season starts. Maybe there's still time if they don't count the preseason.

if they were actually close as reported, or they might have just said they were talking, at this point I'd almost go closer to what they want. Although, I don't know what they want, I just fear they walk after the season. I guess it's a bit of residue after the Gaudreau fiasco.

9 minutes ago, zima said:

Trade weeger to Arizona and a pick for Chychrun if he has not signed by now he is going to pull a JH which I still think was a very rude thing JH did to us thumbing his nose at BT made us suffer not BT. Lets not let Weeger do this to us as well.

i wonder if they'd take Florida's first they got in the Tkachuk deal? 

do weegar and the 1st... my bet is Weegar is too old for their rebuild. But maybe an extra trade piece for a three team deal?

1 hour ago, zima said:

Trade weeger to Arizona and a pick for Chychrun if he has not signed by now he is going to pull a JH which I still think was a very rude thing JH did to us thumbing his nose at BT made us suffer not BT. Lets not let Weeger do this to us as well.

Arizona wants draft picks mainly.  Rumor is they asked for Shane Pinto from OTT plus two 1sts or something.  Pinto seems to have good potential.  RHS C that put up big numbers in AHL.

No way ARZ wants an older D.

59 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

i wonder if they'd take Florida's first they got in the Tkachuk deal? 

do weegar and the 1st... my bet is Weegar is too old for their rebuild. But maybe an extra trade piece for a three team deal?

My understanding is that there are three 1st round picks that cannot be traded because they are among the conditions on the Monahan trade to Montreal. The FLA 1st is one of them I believe.

40 minutes ago, zima said:

It's obvious Weeger doesn't want to stay here so let do something before it's to late not going to get anything half way throught he yr lets move now while he is still worth a full season.

Give it up already.  What does the guy need to do to prove he wants to be here.  He was excited to play here.  He's said he wants to get a deal done.  They are working on a deal.  The season hasn't started yet.  Not everybody does a dick move like Gaudreau did.  Tkachuk made two dick decisions, but was still reasonable to give them enough leeway to make a good deal.  Not a lot, since there were only a few teams he would sign with.

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not sure I will ever understand why some are so quick to assume they know what players are thinking.

Really no value there IMO. 

That goes both ways doesn't it who's to say he really wants to be here talk is cheap just because he says he is excited doesn't make it so whats is he going to say I hate the trade and want out ? He is going to say what we want to hear JH said he loves it here yet he left us with out even the ability to get a pick out of it and I doubt it just happened that way he knew what he was doing and made sure CBJ got him for free nice guy. Again talk is cheap.