Jump to content
The Official Site of the Calgary Flames

Mackenzie Weegar


Recommended Posts

Honestlh has the chance to wind up the best asset Calgary receives. We saw how much they struggled to defend without Tanev and now they have someone who can defend in all areas. Also will make them more multi dimensional in their transition

 

downside? Get ready for some major errors. Very Brodie like in that way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Honestlh has the chance to wind up the best asset Calgary receives. We saw how much they struggled to defend without Tanev and now they have someone who can defend in all areas. Also will make them more multi dimensional in their transition

 

downside? Get ready for some major errors. Very Brodie like in that way. 

 

If he's a puck mover that struggles with defense, then is he best fit with Tanev?

I mean they could very well keep the top 4 together and he plays with Zaddy, but not sure if that makes sense.

But from a L/R sense, it makes sense.

I don't relish the idea of Zaddy-Tanev. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

If he's a puck mover that struggles with defense, then is he best fit with Tanev?

I mean they could very well keep the top 4 together and he plays with Zaddy, but not sure if that makes sense.

But from a L/R sense, it makes sense.

I don't relish the idea of Zaddy-Tanev. 


he doesn’t struggle with defense,he’s excellent at it. 
he just makes head scratching decisions sometimes. 

Weegar-Tanev is the natural fit on paper. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Weegar has made "very little" money by NHL standards, 8.6m. Makes sense as a 7th round pick.

 

The defence market exploded last year, so it's hard to pinpoint what exactly the ask would be, but if the Flames offer him 6-7.5, I think there may be a willingness from the player to secure that type of payday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Weegar has made "very little" money by NHL standards, 8.6m. Makes sense as a 7th round pick.

 

The defence market exploded last year, so it's hard to pinpoint what exactly the ask would be, but if the Flames offer him 6-7.5, I think there may be a willingness from the player to secure that type of payday.

I don't think it's that big an issue next year.

No $11M for Monahan and Lucic.

He has to be willing to sign or he's unfortunately trade bait.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think it's that big an issue next year.

No $11M for Monahan and Lucic.

He has to be willing to sign or he's unfortunately trade bait.

Weegar probably demand 6M x 5, I am not sure Calgary can afford to spend so much money on D without shipping someone out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Multiple D need to be moved regardless of Weegar extending or not. Currently 9 D under contract, plus Kylington as RFA and all are waiver eligible.

 

Kylington won’t clear waivers. He is either on the team or traded. Valimaki most likely wouldn’t clear waivers. Enough teams could take a risk on him, so he is on the team or traded. 
 

Meloche, Mackey and Gilbert could be lost to waivers but are less likely. They seem to be in between D. They are good in the AHL but more filler at NHL level.

 

Flames have 5 spots on D filled for next season with 2 up for grabs between the 5 D listed above. (Could likely expect Gilbert in the AHL) but still, 4 players really fighting for 2 spots. I expect at least 1 of Valimaki or Kylington to be traded by training camp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, travel_dude said:

 

If he's a puck mover that struggles with defense, then is he best fit with Tanev?

I mean they could very well keep the top 4 together and he plays with Zaddy, but not sure if that makes sense.

But from a L/R sense, it makes sense.

I don't relish the idea of Zaddy-Tanev. 

Think nearly as good as Tanev at pure D and better at everything else .. found this write-up it really beaks it down ..

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Think nearly as good as Tanev at pure D and better at everything else .. found this write-up it really beaks it down ..

 

 

 

 

I take what you said and Cross said to the point.  For some reason I thought he struggled on defense.

Maybe it was some comments I had heard or opinions from analysts.  Dunno.

All good.

 

I know he has played both sides, but if Sutter likes LHS LD and RHS RD, I don't see the fit with Tanev.

Puts us with Meloche on 3rd pair and Needing to move Kyl, Vali and Mackey, well 2 of 3.

I could see a situation where Hanifin slides down to play with Tanev and Weeger plays with Ras.

We still have Meloche or a LHS playing RD.

 

Regardless, we have at worst a very good trade chip.

A top capable D at 3.25M.

Worth his weight in gold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I take what you said and Cross said to the point.  For some reason I thought he struggled on defense.

Maybe it was some comments I had heard or opinions from analysts.  Dunno.

All good..

He made a couple mistakes in the playoffs that may have jaded his game to some folks.

 

He's a very good player and in CGY with playing on HNIC and in primetime, people will take notice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

 

I take what you said and Cross said to the point.  For some reason I thought he struggled on defense.

Maybe it was some comments I had heard or opinions from analysts.  Dunno.

All good.

 

I know he has played both sides, but if Sutter likes LHS LD and RHS RD, I don't see the fit with Tanev.

Puts us with Meloche on 3rd pair and Needing to move Kyl, Vali and Mackey, well 2 of 3.

I could see a situation where Hanifin slides down to play with Tanev and Weeger plays with Ras.

We still have Meloche or a LHS playing RD.

 

Regardless, we have at worst a very good trade chip.

A top capable D at 3.25M.

Worth his weight in gold.

Ya I think it's because he is prone the the odd Brodie like brain freeze. And theyre usually quite dramatic lol..  Can't find the image again but he was the one against the bolts who was facing away from the play when the winning goal was scored .  There was a meme about it ..lol. but just like TJ he does so much else well you can ignore the odd hiccup 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Ya I think it's because he is prone the the odd Brodie like brain freeze. And theyre usually quite dramatic lol..  Can't find the image again but he was the one against the bolts who was facing away from the play when the winning goal was scored .  There was a meme about it ..lol. but just like TJ he does so much else well you can ignore the odd hiccup 

 

I remember the analysts talking about it and thanks for reminding me who it was.

Good lord, you would think Gio never did anything wrong in his Norris season.

I want to see him play here.

We haven't had a top D here in some time.

Gio was fading and TJ was too apt to use his stick to defend.

Dougie was a mess some games.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are a few comps for a Weegar extension

 

Parayko's 6.5x8

H. Lindholm also at 6.5x8

Morrissey 6.125x8

Brodin 6x7

Pulock 6.15x8

 

Should be anywhere between 6-6.5. It's a price the Flames should pay considering Tanev is going to be 33 this year and the Flames are very thin at RHD as an organization

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Here are a few comps for a Weegar extension

 

Parayko's 6.5x8

H. Lindholm also at 6.5x8

Morrissey 6.125x8

Brodin 6x7

Pulock 6.15x8

 

Should be anywhere between 6-6.5. It's a price the Flames should pay considering Tanev is going to be 33 this year and the Flames are very thin at RHD as an organization

 

I think Weeger re-signing is a no-brainer for both sides.

Canadian and not so beholding to FLA.

Should get it done and move on.

Concentrate on the big fish and making the team better to match him.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Here are a few comps for a Weegar extension

 

Parayko's 6.5x8

H. Lindholm also at 6.5x8

Morrissey 6.125x8

Brodin 6x7

Pulock 6.15x8

 

Should be anywhere between 6-6.5. It's a price the Flames should pay considering Tanev is going to be 33 this year and the Flames are very thin at RHD as an organization

 

 

I mean i'd sign him to that right now. That would be a borderline steal. 

 

But I think it's going to take more than that. I think you have to add in the likes of Nurse, Sergachev, and Dougie Hamilton to the discussion. Weegar has outproduced all 3 of those guys the last 2 seasons and while all 3 of those guys have things like playoff success and more longevity to their name the production is there. 

 

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see him in the 6 range, but I do feel he's a better dman than just about everyone on this list. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW, Weegar made it sound today like he's already thought about the idea of signing in Calgary. Mentioned it checks a lot of boxes for him, excited to play with Darryl etc. 

 

As we've learned it's dangerous to read into what a player says to the media but I just thought it was interesting he went a little out of his way to take about the potential fit with him and the Flames. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, cross16 said:

 

 

I mean i'd sign him to that right now. That would be a borderline steal. 

 

But I think it's going to take more than that. I think you have to add in the likes of Nurse, Sergachev, and Dougie Hamilton to the discussion. Weegar has outproduced all 3 of those guys the last 2 seasons and while all 3 of those guys have things like playoff success and more longevity to their name the production is there. 

 

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see him in the 6 range, but I do feel he's a better dman than just about everyone on this list. 

 

Seeing as Ekblad was only making $7.5M as a young guy, I don't think his expectations were ever $9M.

$7.5M is reasonable and the low end of a top 2 guy.

I would be interested in signing him to 7 years (we can't do 8, right?) since that would take him to the end basically.

Might cut down the overall cost a bit that way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

FWIW, Weegar made it sound today like he's already thought about the idea of signing in Calgary. Mentioned it checks a lot of boxes for him, excited to play with Darryl etc. 

 

As we've learned it's dangerous to read into what a player says to the media but I just thought it was interesting he went a little out of his way to take about the potential fit with him and the Flames. 

 

There were some family tweets where they were pumped to have him back in Canada.  

I don't think playing in Canada, anywhere, would be a big issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

 

There were some family tweets where they were pumped to have him back in Canada.  

I don't think playing in Canada, anywhere, would be a big issue.

 

There were a lot of rumors linking him to Ottawa. While I don't think Florida necessarily told him he would be traded, it sounds like this wasn't as much of a shock for him as it was for Huberdeau. 

 

Given their cap situation it looks highly unlikely they were going to be able to retain Weegar even if they didn't trade him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...