2022 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

I’m gonna bring it up again, to JJ’s chagrin, lol. But what if made a play for Chychrun now? I think that Kylington, Coronato, and our 2024 1st would definitely get their attention. If we had to add one more piece, we could add either Zary, Dube, or Mackey depending on who they would want. 

But the prospect of having a d core of:

Chychrun - Anderson

Hannifin - Tanev

Zadorov - Weegar

Meloche

Its pretty ridiculous, I have to believe Marky and Sutter would be salivating, lol.

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

He only had 34pts last year, Kylington had 31.

They seem to be low on Beauvillier, which is why it's worth inquiring. 

Difference being that in 2020/21 we waived Kylington and Beau was on the end of his 2nd deal.

Are you saying they are low on him because they are looking to trade him?

That may simply be to  make room for Kadri.

Just now, pikey7883 said:

I’m gonna bring it up again, to JJ’s chagrin, lol. But what if made a play for Chychrun now? I think that Kylington, Coronato, and our 2024 1st would definitely get their attention. If we had to add one more piece, we could add either Zary, Dube, or Mackey depending on who they would want. 

Chychrun - Anderson

Hannifin - Tanev

Zadorov - Weegar

Meloche

Its pretty ridiculous, I have to believe Marky and Sutter would be salivating, lol.

You mean this?

Chychrun-Weeger

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Tanev

We have 10 D, why not trade one of them for a more expensive D?

If you said Kylington, Dube, Zary and our 2024 1st for Barzal, I might be a little more interested.   

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

Difference being that in 2020/21 we waived Kylington and Beau was on the end of his 2nd deal.

Are you saying they are low on him because they are looking to trade him?

That may simply be to  make room for Kadri.

I look at an Islander team that needs to improve on the blueline. They haven't been able to recover from the Toews trade. Romanov has some upside, but he's not a top 4 guy on a playoff team. Especially in that division. Kylington makes that blueline looks quite a bit better, Pelech-Dobson, Kylington-Pulock, Romanov-Mayfield.

It would save them some money too if they wanted to try for Kadri

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You mean this?

Chychrun-Weeger

Hanifin-Andersson

Zadorov-Tanev

We have 10 D, why not trade one of them for a more expensive D?

If you said Kylington, Dube, Zary and our 2024 1st for Barzal, I might be a little more interested.   

Sure that combo of 6 is good too, lol. I don’t know why, but I’m not sold on Barzal. 

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I look at an Islander team that needs to improve on the blueline. They haven't been able to recover from the Toews trade. Romanov has some upside, but he's not a top 4 guy on a playoff team. Especially in that division. Kylington makes that blueline looks quite a bit better, Pelech-Dobson, Kylington-Pulock, Romanov-Mayfield.

It would save them some money too if they wanted to try for Kadri

I think they might have been trying to rade him at the draft to improve.

Now that they are looking past Gaudreau, they won't want to trade him for a D.

If he's traded, it's for a prospect/pick so they can use the cash savings and sign Kadri.

They have 11M with Dobson and Romanov looking for raises.

Sending them a D doesn't really improve scoring.

And the difference between Kyl and Beau is closer to a million.

6 minutes ago, pikey7883 said:

Sure that combo of 6 is good too, lol. I don’t know why, but I’m not sold on Barzal. 

Just a suggestion.

I don't want to pay that much to begin with.

Barzal is more of a playmaker, so he doesn't add his own goals as much as the guys he plays with.

He's got another Tkachuk style deal and I doubt BT wants to go there again.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Just a suggestion.

I don't want to pay that much to begin with.

Barzal is more of a playmaker, so he doesn't add his own goals as much as the guys he plays with.

He's got another Tkachuk style deal and I doubt BT wants to go there again.

Another playmaker is exactly what this team needs. The fact that Barzal is a Centerman too… and can fill our 2C spot… What more could we possibly ask for?!? 😁

So much was put on Johnny’s shoulders last year to be “the guy” and I don’t want to just stick Hubie into the same spot. Many here have expressed concerns about Hubie extending here… he might do that if it’s not all on him to carry the team, eh?

PP #2 last year effectively killed off our powerplay. We now have Hubie and Weegs to add to our PP #1. Who would you rather have for PP #2: Backlund or Barzal? It’s no contest! If we’re going to take an honest and real look at our neighbours to the North, they survived the year and made it past us in the playoffs predominantly on Special teams. You can say what you want about Edmonton or the reffing or McJesus, but they make teams pay on special teams. We can’t go into this season with Backlund Centering PP2. We need a 2C, and Barzal IMO is the ideal fit. Whether or not he’s available is another story, but like I said I get the sense something is amiss there. Plus, Barzal is a BC boy who grew up a Flames and Hawks fan, who’s playing out on the east coast. Something tells me he’d appreciate a change of scenery and move to the west coast. 

It wouldn’t be too shabby to counter McJesus and DrySaddle, or MacKinnon and Landeskog, with Hubie and Barzal eh? 😎

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

Another playmaker is exactly what this team needs. The fact that Barzal is a Centerman too… and can fill our 2C spot… What more could we possibly ask for?!? 😁

So much was put on Johnny’s shoulders last year to be “the guy” and I don’t want to just stick Hubie into the same spot. Many here have expressed concerns about Hubie extending here… he might do that if it’s not all on him to carry the team, eh?

PP #2 last year effectively killed off our powerplay. We now have Hubie and Weegs to add to our PP #1. Who would you rather have for PP #2: Backlund or Barzal? It’s no contest! If we’re going to take an honest and real look at our neighbours to the North, they survived the year and made it past us in the playoffs predominantly on Special teams. You can say what you want about Edmonton or the reffing or McJesus, but they make teams pay on special teams. We can’t go into this season with Backlund Centering PP2. We need a 2C, and Barzal IMO is the ideal fit. Whether or not he’s available is another story, but like I said I get the sense something is amiss there. Plus, Barzal is a BC boy who grew up a Flames and Hawks fan, who’s playing out on the east coast. Something tells me he’d appreciate a change of scenery and move to the west coast. 

It wouldn’t be too shabby to counter McJesus and DrySaddle, or MacKinnon and Landeskog, with Hubie and Barzal eh? 😎

All true but what about Monahan…that is kinda the thing, they kinda need to figure out what’s up with him…personally, I’d like to move Backlund…keep Monahan and see if he’s actually fully healed, last year of

a contract too so he needs to ply healthy and well regardless if he stays or

not…either by trade or by FA 

if Healthy and plays back

to his normal his blue goes up for trades and or he’s the#2 Ctr we need, and also helps Him in his next contact.

i get the feeling, mostly cause it’s good for the team, they are gonna do everything to help Monahan have a successful return…part of that may be playing him with Hubie, a much better Gaudreau…he’d also click

well with Toffoil 

Lindholm and Manji should be excellent together if we can find a

RW playmaker 

1 hour ago, LouCifer said:

It's a better idea to counter them with Defence and G. Weegar's a huge add.

I'm going to go out a limb for Meloche.

He's had a taste, he's been around pros.

Same with Dube. Example: Kyl last year.

Sutter said of Kyl, we think the game the same way.

I believe he left the ending out..."now". Kyl came jacked and primed and had a breakout.

We don't need Barzal. We need our team to work on what Sutter tells them.

I'll be surprised if Pelletier misses the cut, honestly.  He's going to be a fantastic player when he's 25.

Guy s break out after focused offseasons. Happens all of the time.

We've got some of those guys.

Let's see Huberdeau's impact first.

Huberdeau is gonna impact the west. And Weegar, at very worst a top 3D RS plays both sides.

1 minute ago, conundrumed said:

It's a better idea to counter them with Defence and G. Weegar's a huge add.

I'm going to go out a limb for Meloche.

He's had a taste, he's been around pros.

Same with Dube. Example: Kyl last year.

Sutter said of Kyl, we think the game the same way.

I believe he left the ending out..."now". Kyl came jacked and primed and had a breakout.

We don't need Barzal. We need our team to work on what Sutter tells them.

I'll be surprised if Pelletier misses the cut, honestly.  He's going to be a fantastic player when he's 25.

Guy s break out after focused offseasons. Happens all of the time.

We've got some of those guys.

Let's see Huberdeau's impact first.

Huberdeau is gonna impact the west. And Weegar, at very worst a top 3D RS plays both sides.

Barzal is something we can't afford.  I am a bit concerned that we would have another Tkachuk on our hands.  NOt the US, gotta be in the US attitude, but the better than you one.  The only way it makes sense is buy low.  

I think that one of Hanifin or Kylington has to go.

Depth was our strength until it wasn't.

But we have too many guys to carry.

It's quite difficult to finish the team before camp, but also harder to get players then.

If we can get Necas out of CAR without breaking the bank, I think his game translates easily to the Flames.

If we sign Statsny, then we have another 20 goal scorer for the bottom 6.Still can graduate Pelletier and Rozie.

We have to have a serious convesation about Lucic and Monahan.

We aren't helping Monahan by keeping him.

Lucic was reduced to a role player that had trouble with the role.

Of we can find a deal in BOS or Seattle, we should consider it.

VAN might be the right spot but I think they are a weird team.

Nobody really in sync.

He would get frustrated there.

4 hours ago, pikey7883 said:

Chychrun - Anderson

Hannifin - Tanev

Zadorov - Weegar

Meloche

Tbh, after getting Weegar, not sure I want him now ..I don't think we need him..  go get a center ..

I hope that's not how you'd pair them..Weegar is top pair easy..  I think it's like Tanev, a lot of people unaware of just how stupidly good this guy is ..

25 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Barzal is something we can't afford.  I am a bit concerned that we would have another Tkachuk on our hands.  NOt the US, gotta be in the US attitude, but the better than you one.  The only way it makes sense is buy low.  

I think that one of Hanifin or Kylington has to go.

Depth was our strength until it wasn't.

But we have too many guys to carry.

It's quite difficult to finish the team before camp, but also harder to get players then.

If we can get Necas out of CAR without breaking the bank, I think his game translates easily to the Flames.

If we sign Statsny, then we have another 20 goal scorer for the bottom 6.Still can graduate Pelletier and Rozie.

Lucic was reduced to a role player that had trouble with the role.

Of we can find a deal in BOS or Seattle, we should consider it.

VAN might be the right spot but I think they are a weird team.

Nobody really in sync.

He would get frustrated there.

There's some serious ADHD bug going around.

We've just gone through massive upheaval and we'll be okay not being a rent-a-soldier team.

33 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If we can get Necas out of CAR without breaking the bank, I think his game translates easily to the Flames. If we sign Statsny, then we have another 20 goal scorer for the bottom 6.

What do you think it would take to get Necas? And He’s an RFA so what could his next contract look like? 

I also see Stastny as an option, but I worry does he push Backlund to 3C? Or are we still expecting Backlund to generate offense and play PP2?

I agree on Monahan. He should be seeking the best opportunity for himself because I don’t think he gets that here. 

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Tbh, after getting Weegar, not sure I want him now ..I don't think we need him..  go get a center ..

I hope that's not how you'd pair them..Weegar is top pair easy..  I think it's like Tanev, a lot of people unaware of just how stupidly good this guy is ..

What? He's a RSD that plays both sides.

3 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

What do you think it would take to get Necas? And He’s an RFA so what could his next contract look like? 

I also see Stastny as an option, but I worry does he push Backlund to 3C? Or are we still expecting Backlund to generate offense and play PP2?

I agree on Monahan. He should be seeking the best opportunity for himself because I don’t think he gets that here. 

Not gonna lie.. big part of me hopes we aren't forced to move Monahan . If we have to for a better deal etc then ok.. but if he's gonna be healthy..if his wrists have improved a year since surgery, he could be a prime bounce back candidate .. worst case if he's just so-so we'll get a better return at the TDL than now as well 

10 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

There's some serious ADHD bug going around.

We've just gone through massive upheaval and we'll be okay not being a rent-a-soldier team.

It's a fair question Bert.

We have 10D that are NHL capable.

Can't horde them all, we lose 2 for nothing.

Trading for another player is typical.

3 players walked.

One traded.

We aren't the same team that won the division.

I think we are close, but missing some players that were NHL ones last year.

Probably don't even need Statsny, but nice having the guy that scores 20.

And yes, we did sign a solder in Lewis.

Playoff depth if you like.

Necas is the replacement for what Monahan used to be.

If all we did was trade for Necas, we are better set up with a young player.

Winger or C.

7 hours ago, LouCifer said:

Necas is ideal! he’s really all we need to add as long as the cost is not too high…Maybe Valimaki+ could make it happen? We have about 2 D too many, and Valimaki was a high prospect 1st round pick…who, still projects to have a high ceiling…With Weeagar (so?) our D is pretty solid and much improved and deeper…

Weeager/Anderson

Hanifin/Tanev

BigZ/Kylington 

Mackey

+ the other 2 new guys

Manji/Lindholm/Necas

Hubs/Monahan/Toffoil 

Coleman/Backlund/Dube

Lucic/Ruzi/Rooney

Lewis

+Pelletier if Lucic could be moved out?

solid line lineup, hubs and Manj and Toffoil and Necas can be moved around as needed…

love the idea of bringing in Pelletier but till Lucic is done he’s better served waiting and developing one more

year, he’s probably ready but no room

with Lucic here, though it would great to play him with Ruzi and Rooney 2 big bodies that can skate with a

skilled guy like Pelletier would make that line deadly…but Ruzi is ready and there is room for him now.

all and All, if we could

add Necas (or similar type RW) that would make this lineup far better and deeper too to bottom…one that I think would be a top 5 contender 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Necas is ideal! he’s really all we need to add as long as the cost is not too high…Maybe Valimaki+ could make it happen? We have about 2 D too many, and Valimaki was a high prospect 1st round pick…who, still projects to have a high ceiling…With Weeagar (so?) our D is pretty solid and much improved and deeper…

Weeager/Anderson

Hanifin/Tanev

BigZ/Kylington 

Mackey

+ the other 2 new guys

Manji/Lindholm/Necas

Hubs/Monahan/Toffoil 

Coleman/Backlund/Dube

Lucic/Ruzi/Rooney

Lewis

+Pelletier if Lucic could be moved out?

solid line lineup, hubs and Manj and Toffoil and Necas can be moved around as needed…

love the idea of bringing in Pelletier but till Lucic is done he’s better served waiting and developing one more

year, he’s probably ready but no room

with Lucic here, though it would great to play him with Ruzi and Rooney 2 big bodies that can skate with a

skilled guy like Pelletier would make that line deadly…but Ruzi is ready and there is room for him now.

all and All, if we could

add Necas (or similar type RW) that would make this lineup far better and deeper too to bottom…one that I think would be a top 5 contender 

Pelletier's entire career so far has one continuous trend. He conquers the next hill very quickly. It is incredibly impressive. He's approaching the final hill. If his past is any indication, he's a Flames this coming season.

It's similar to why 20yr olds don't go back to jr because there's nothing left to prove.

If Wolf is rocking it in camp, there may be nothing left to prove in the A. That's a great problem to have. You never want to impede progression.

Is 20 games in the NHL better than 60 in the A for a young goalie? Damn straight imo.

The jump is huge, I get it, but I'd never impede progression. "He needs reps" vs he needs to be challenged at the next level. I'll take the latter. I know my Wolf take won't be agreed with, but I'm sticking with it.

Now Vladar is a big, big trade chip for teams jonesing for a goalie that will have dickering(arb) rights after this season.

Wolf is ELC for 2 more years. As is Pelletier.

This is the way. There's risk, sure. Take some. Or be patient and middling forever.

That one focused offseason meant everything to the person having it. It can't be left as, "none of it really mattered".

That's a great way to crush a prospect.

"I did everything you told me too. You didn't tell me that it wouldn't matter".

According to rumors Necas was in Carolina's offer for Tkachuk. I read somewhere it was Necas and another piece (that may have been a bigger name than Necas) in the deal, but the fact he was in the offer would tell me he's pretty highly valued by Carolina. 

Long story short, If you want Necas I would be prepared to pay a lot for him. Not sure I see a feasible trade there as Flames don't really have many good assets they can part with right now. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

According to rumors Necas was in Carolina's offer for Tkachuk. I read somewhere it was Necas and another piece (that may have been a bigger name than Necas) in the deal, but the fact he was in the offer would tell me he's pretty highly valued by Carolina. 

Long story short, If you want Necas I would be prepared to pay a lot for him. Not sure I see a feasible trade there as Flames don't really have many good assets they can part with right now. 

I agree. I love the suggestion, but I doubt I'd love the acquisition cost. Carolina's cheap af. I can't look at there roster or prospects and say, "here, we've got what you need. Gs pretty tight, D is very good, just added Patches and Kase to the fwd ranks.

LD? Valimaki AND Kylington AND Dube?

For Necas and a ___rd pick?

I don't love that for us.

I get the too many waiver eligible dmen argument, but we haven't Blockchained anybody over in the waiver field ever. That goes a loooooong way in this business.

So come camps, players will get waived, "we should grab this guy or that guy"...no we shouldn't. We should make a trade. You don't steal players. Why do guys go on waivers for free and subsequently get a return? Business etiquette.

Toronto's over-the-top angry that ARI grabbed Harri Blockchaining Sateri.

I'm sure 30 other mgrs cringed. This isn't how they want to do business. If you don't respect your business partners, well, you end up playing for 427 people at some random 5,000 capacity arena on some college campus somewhere.

Not mentioning names, of course..

48 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Pelletier's entire career so far has one continuous trend. He conquers the next hill very quickly. It is incredibly impressive. He's approaching the final hill. If his past is any indication, he's a Flames this coming season.

It's similar to why 20yr olds don't go back to jr because there's nothing left to prove.

If Wolf is rocking it in camp, there may be nothing left to prove in the A. That's a great problem to have. You never want to impede progression.

Is 20 games in the NHL better than 60 in the A for a young goalie? Damn straight imo.

The jump is huge, I get it, but I'd never impede progression. "He needs reps" vs he needs to be challenged at the next level. I'll take the latter. I know my Wolf take won't be agreed with, but I'm sticking with it.

Now Vladar is a big, big trade chip for teams jonesing for a goalie that will have dickering(arb) rights after this season.

Wolf is ELC for 2 more years. As is Pelletier.

This is the way. There's risk, sure. Take some. Or be patient and middling forever.

That one focused offseason meant everything to the person having it. It can't be left as, "none of it really mattered".

That's a great way to crush a prospect.

"I did everything you told me too. You didn't tell me that it wouldn't matter".

While I agree with you…do you think Cgy will? I doubt it…

the major need right now is RW…playmaker, Pelletier is LW, sure we can move Coleman over but then where do we slot Dube? And, while I’d be perfect with sitting Lucic and Lewis, I can’t say Sutter will nor will Mgt be ok with using him as a spare with a 5+ mil cap hit…something has to give…and also that Top 2 RW hole is super huge, Coleman is a terrific 3rd line player capable of 2nd line fill in, but not a regular 2nd liner.

Having said that, if you have any sway with Cgy top brass I’d love to see Pelletier on the roster full time with Ruzi 

as for Vladar and wolf I’m on board with you there too, but again it’s the Flames, so unfortunately it’s not likely to happen either…