Stockton Heat - Playoff Thread

On 6/14/2022 at 11:27 PM, flames for life said:

Yup.  I’m hoping to see Pelletier and Phillips at camps.  I’m curious to see how Wolf stands up to the big boys in a faster game.

Still not impressed with Valimaki.  For all he was hyped up to be, I expected more.

This one weighs on me now. I liked the pick at the time. I really liked Robert Thomas in jr. He has a real nasty streak. So I'm not using hindsight now because I didn't mind the Vali pick.

But damn, what a difference that would have made. 2C would have been solved.

3rd pair in the AHL 4-5 yrs later isn't what I imagined. Hopefully he'll have a great summer knowing that he's running out of real estate. KHL isn't a viable option anymore due to Russia being, well, Russia. A mafia state. He needs to figure it out equally to us needing him to. It's becoming, "If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem".

I remain hopeful, yet he seems really discouraged to me. Get him a girlfriend, she'll set him straight.lol I'm half-kidding.

18 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

This one weighs on me now. I liked the pick at the time. I really liked Robert Thomas in jr. He has a real nasty streak. So I'm not using hindsight now because I didn't mind the Vali pick.

3rd pair in the AHL 4-5 yrs later isn't what I imagined. Hopefully he'll have a great summer knowing that he's running out of real estate. KHL isn't a viable option anymore due to Russia being, well, Russia. A mafia state. He needs to figure it out equally to us needing him to. It's becoming, "If you aren't a part of the solution, you're a part of the problem".

I remain hopeful, yet he seems really discouraged to me. Get him a girlfriend, she'll set him straight.lol I'm half-kidding.

Between him and Liljegren, they both have fallen short.

I have to think he's bound to get traded, just because he's not even above a college FA we signed.

Is he the Puljujarvi of the Flames, a player who thinks he deserved better?

The injuries have killed his career to date, but he hasn't looked good when he's suited up.

Could have taken the job from Zaddy, but looked not ready to paly.

No wonder we traded for Zaddy.

I guess I should relax a bit.

He's 23 and did manage to produce in the AHL at 0.5 p/gp.

He has to prep for camp the same level that Kylington did.

Get ripped.

Work the summer getting ready.

Conditioning is a huge thing with Sutter.

He's NHL size and needs to be ready.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

i feel the same. Really like Robert Thomas and would have had no problem with the flames taking him but loved the Valimaki pick. I think injuries have played a major role there but seeing the need at center and Thomas breaking out…. Ya a part of me can’t stop thinking “what if”. 

I’m still holding out hope thought. He’s a great talent and his career was on track before his knee injury so I think it’s very plausible he just needs a good summer and someone to get in his ear and help him get his game back 

51 minutes ago, cross16 said:

i feel the same. Really like Robert Thomas and would have had no problem with the flames taking him but loved the Valimaki pick. I think injuries have played a major role there but seeing the need at center and Thomas breaking out…. Ya a part of me can’t stop thinking “what if”. 

I’m still holding out hope thought. He’s a great talent and his career was on track before his knee injury so I think it’s very plausible he just needs a good summer and someone to get in his ear and help him get his game back

Retrospect sucks. We're on the same wavelength. I liked Thomas and was happy Army grabbed him. I loved our pick though. Oops.

Doug Armstrong has some grimey fat fingers all over SW Ontario. "Hey Calgary, want a goalie?" Quietly knowing he could get Kyrou with that pick. Bastard. It's his hometown, don't trust him.

Also a guy that I'll always cheer for, by-and-by. Excellent person, great role model for how to treat people regardless of your lot in life. He's always been this way.

You will never hear, "St. Loo GM Doug Armstrong said or did this 20 yrs ago and has been suspended".

I can guarantee you'll never hear that. He's always been a really solid guy.

What's done is done.  We have some interesting F's and D's in the pool.

Poirier and Kerins should be in the A this season.

Graduate maybe Rozie and Pelts if we can find the spots for them.

Sutter will love Pelts.

Rozie just needs to find that consistency and bring it.

Show up at camp and blow the doors off.

That was missing last summer.

I tend to think that Pospisil is trending like Hathaway was.

Hope he can stay out of the big fights.

Who knows what that monster Klapka is going to be.

They signed him for a reason.

Is he the new Ritchie?

58 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Between him and Liljegren, they both have fallen short.

I have to think he's bound to get traded, just because he's not even above a college FA we signed.

Is he the Puljujarvi of the Flames, a player who thinks he deserved better?

The injuries have killed his career to date, but he hasn't looked good when he's suited up.

Could have taken the job from Zaddy, but looked not ready to paly.

No wonder we traded for Zaddy.

I guess I should relax a bit.

He's 23 and did manage to produce in the AHL at 0.5 p/gp.

He has to prep for camp the same level that Kylington did.

Get ripped.

Work the summer getting ready.

Conditioning is a huge thing with Sutter.

He's NHL size and needs to be ready.

Stop feeling sorry for yourself.

I think this statement of prepping like Kylington state’s volumes!  Valimaaki shows lots of cockiness and arrogance in his attitude and play,  but I would much rather have a player who listens and takes to heart what he needs to do to improve.  Kylington did that and the evidence showed.  Sure he makes mistakes, but he also puts in the effort to make up for them.  His stats prove that.  I don’t see anything like that level of motivation from Valimaaki. Both have had injuries.  Both have been impacted by them.  I would still have more confidence in playing Kylington over V.  

Right now, I don’t expect anything from V except as trade bait.

3 minutes ago, flames for life said:

I think this statement of prepping like Kylington state’s volumes!  Valimaaki shows lots of cockiness and arrogance in his attitude and play,  but I would much rather have a player who listens and takes to heart what he needs to do to improve.  Kylington did that and the evidence showed.  Sure he makes mistakes, but he also puts in the effort to make up for them.  His stats prove that.  I don’t see anything like that level of motivation from Valimaaki. Both have had injuries.  Both have been impacted by them.  I would still have more confidence in playing Kylington over V.  

Right now, I don’t expect anything from V except as trade bait.

He's 23 and missed 2 years, so there is lots of time for him to improve.  But I think he felt he was better than what the coach thought.  Get over that and come back ready to take the job.  It's not just his because he put in a part season in the AHL and is next.  He has to be better than Mackey.  Has to show they don't need Zaddy or even Stone.  Here's your chance, go get it.  You get 5 minutes to show something, show it.  Do something that sets you apart.     

Sadly, the reality of the NHL is that talent and skill doesn’t guarantee a spot on a team. For every talented player who makes it, there are a handful who don’t for various reasons. Whether injuries, personal demons, lack of effort/drive, some just don’t make the big league. The Flames alone have many examples including Krahn (knees) and Emil Poirier (personal demons suggested).

Valimaki is no doubt talented and should have the skills. Sadly he just isn’t putting it all together for whatever reason. Maybe another team feels like giving him a shot will help him take off, but likely selling low on him at this time in any trade.

Do the Flames wait and see how he comes to camp? Do they move him for the sake of a change? Who knows. At this point he is such a question mark that there is no logical answer here.

6 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Sadly, the reality of the NHL is that talent and skill doesn’t guarantee a spot on a team. For every talented player who makes it, there are a handful who don’t for various reasons. Whether injuries, personal demons, lack of effort/drive, some just don’t make the big league. The Flames alone have many examples including Krahn (knees) and Emil Poirier (personal demons suggested).

Valimaki is no doubt talented and should have the skills. Sadly he just isn’t putting it all together for whatever reason. Maybe another team feels like giving him a shot will help him take off, but likely selling low on him at this time in any trade.

Do the Flames wait and see how he comes to camp? Do they move him for the sake of a change? Who knows. At this point he is such a question mark that there is no logical answer here.

I would compare him to Kylington before this season.  Not really enough of a chance to adjust his game to the NHL, according to the new Sutter style.  He was okay under Wardo and perhaps BP, but he needs to look a lot more ready.  He didn't get the memo.

52 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would compare him to Kylington before this season.  Not really enough of a chance to adjust his game to the NHL, according to the new Sutter style.  He was okay under Wardo and perhaps BP, but he needs to look a lot more ready.  He didn't get the memo.

Hence my statement about motivation.  My concern with him is that he hears the coach….one game at a time.  It’s not good enough to be better the next outing; but for all the future ones.  In other words, he is just not consistent.  If he is with the Flames come pre-season, he will need to prove that he can be more than  Zaddy or Stone, or anyone else Calgary brings in.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:17 PM, travel_dude said:

We have some dang good prospects there.

Too bad we lost Rozie early on.

Needed scoring this game.

Most teams still in are rife with NHL players that had been waived to go to the AHL.

We have a rookie goalie and a rookie winger that turned heads.

Maybe they aren't ready for the Flames yet, but there are at least 4 players that should be fighting for jobs in camp.

What injury did Ruzicka have?  Needs surgery?  Will it affect his status at camp next season?

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Was he only playing 3rd pair the entire time in Stockton?  Who were the other pairings?

Doesn't sound good for a Valimaki-Tanev second pairing next season.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

What injury did Ruzicka have?  Needs surgery?  Will it affect his status at camp next season?

I don't think it was injury.  He came out after game 1.

Once they started winning a few, probably better not to put him back in.

There wan't a lot of talk about game 1, other than he was on for a goal against.

Pelletier was on for at least one more against.